Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nimmy posted:

Went to a bar (Texas) last weekend and they had a lot of the BTAC. Unfortunately I was driving, so I only had one, but boy oh boy was the Thomas Handy a good one. So excited I went to grab some Baby Saz this week, and it's definitely closer than I expected. Good job Buffalo Trace; I'm not generally a huge fan of you.

I had Handy at a bar in Atlanta a few years back and drat it was good, so viscous and tasty. Definitely worth a whirl at ~$20 or less a pour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I had Handy at a bar in Atlanta a few years back and drat it was good, so viscous and tasty. Definitely worth a whirl at ~$20 or less a pour.

I read that a "a handy" and was really confused for a second. All the BTAC bottles are great and I wish it was possible to find a bottle ever. I always wonder what kind of job these fb group dudes have to be able to hop down to a liquor store at like 11am on a weekday whenever.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Casu Marzu posted:

I read that a "a handy" and was really confused for a second. All the BTAC bottles are great and I wish it was possible to find a bottle ever. I always wonder what kind of job these fb group dudes have to be able to hop down to a liquor store at like 11am on a weekday whenever.

Easy enough if you work at the liquor store.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Casu Marzu posted:

flipping whiskey is their job

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I work from home so if I saw some something at my local on FB, I could be there in five minutes and work would be none-the-wiser.

I am trading samples with the owner at my local. He gave me a Whistle Pig 17 year that was a different store's pick to try.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Casu Marzu posted:

If it was as easy as showing up at a liquor store at 11am on a weekday I could swing it. I don't think those days exist anymore, it's all lotteries.

And if it's not, let me know where in Austin I can show up at 11 and get a bottle at MSRP.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nimmy posted:

If it was as easy as showing up at a liquor store at 11am on a weekday I could swing it. I don't think those days exist anymore, it's all lotteries.

And if it's not, let me know where in Austin I can show up at 11 and get a bottle at MSRP.

It's not like the super rare stuff like pappy and BTAC, but I always see posts locally here in WI where guys are nabbing stuff like george t stagg, michters, and blantons cuz they're showing up at open on the weekdays when the shipment gets put out.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Casu Marzu posted:

It's not like the super rare stuff like pappy and BTAC, but I always see posts locally here in WI where guys are nabbing stuff like george t stagg, michters, and blantons cuz they're showing up at open on the weekdays when the shipment gets put out.

GTS is btac, I assume you mean Stagg Jr. I got suuuuper lucky and found out that the place between my work and home put out their allocations at like 4pm on weekdays to dissuade the guys that spend all day going to stores. Since I've realized this (in like december), I've gotten a blantons, 2 stagg jrs, an eh taylor barrel proof, and a few Eagle Rares. This is in a state with terrible allocations. So, I mean, its still possible but you have to be lucky.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah Stagg Jr sorry. That and EH Taylor are the two I keep hoping to get lucky on randomly through the year.

It wasn't so bad wandering through a liquor store every few weeks on a whim before, but now with covid it feels not right stopping in just on the chance there's a bottle I want.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Casu Marzu posted:

It wasn't so bad wandering through a liquor store every few weeks on a whim before, but now with covid it feels not right stopping in just on the chance there's a bottle I want.

Whiskey is sterile. Fight COVID-19 at the liquor store by keeping your throat clean with Whiskey.

Bonus: Drink Whiskey and not even care about COVID infection!:agesilaus:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DerekSmartymans posted:

Whiskey is sterile. Fight COVID-19 at the liquor store by keeping your throat clean with Whiskey.

Bonus: Drink Whiskey and not even care about COVID infection!:agesilaus:

Bonus bonus: Drink Whiskey and use hand sanitizer the distillery produced during early COVID that they still have pallets of laying around!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

alcohol vs virus battle royale

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klungar posted:

Bonus bonus: Drink Whiskey and use hand sanitizer the distillery produced during early COVID that they still have pallets of laying around!

:chanpop:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Goddamn I still don't understand how Knob Creek single barrels stay so cheap. Just grabbed a store pick at 15 years and it was $40. I don't feel so annoyed about allocated bottles anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to get cat food and oops. The only one if these I’ve had before is the Rare Breed (EW SB and MM CS are new barrels to me). I’ve never had New Riff and this is a store pick too.

I picked these items bc they were on sale, but I’m really upset that the Knob Creek Rye was $5 cheaper at the 2nd store that I hadn’t planned on going to. :suicide:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s one lucky cat

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cat stumbling in circles, looks up and says "me-", than pauses and looks up at you hoping you remember the rest before slinking away and muttering "ow."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Josh Lyman posted:

Went to get cat food and oops. The only one if these I’ve had before is the Rare Breed (EW SB and MM CS are new barrels to me). I’ve never had New Riff and this is a store pick too.

I picked these items bc they were on sale, but I’m really upset that the Knob Creek Rye was $5 cheaper at the 2nd store that I hadn’t planned on going to. :suicide:

"My hand slipped"

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

How many times have we all just walked into the store just to look and wound up walking out with a bag full of bottles?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

You fuckers better appreciate that I took one for the team and opened all 7 6 bottles. (Rare Breed was not opened under the assumption it would be the same as my existing bottle)

EW SB and MM CS neck pours were tested side by side to my opened and low level bottles. They were notably worse; hopefully it's just bc they're neck pours, but as single barrels, they could just be poo poo.

Knob Creek Rye is really good! It's not as good as Pikesville but that's way more expensive. In the same price range is Bulleit Rye, which I have an open 1.75L of. I did an additional side by side test and the Knob Creek neck pour easily won.

Jack Daniels SB has the flavor profile of normal Jack Daniels but actually good.

New Riff Bourbon store pick ($50) and Redwood Empire Lost Monarch ($32 on sale) were very good for their price points but neither blew my socks off. They taste like my opened bottles of Rare Breed and EW SB, respectively, but they're more expensive. They're better than the neck pours, so maybe they'll continue to be better as all the new bottles mature.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 27, 2021

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Casu Marzu posted:

Goddamn I still don't understand how Knob Creek single barrels stay so cheap. Just grabbed a store pick at 15 years and it was $40. I don't feel so annoyed about allocated bottles anymore.

They are the absolute best. I just stumbled on some of the 9 year single barrel reserve 120 proof at a gas station. I'm not a huge bourbon guy, but Knob is definitely my go-to for having something good and available on hand.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

probably because no one wants to deal with that goddamn wax

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Hauki posted:

probably because no one wants to deal with that goddamn wax

Never stopped people from buying makers mark :v:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maker's wax is nothing compared to knob creek wax

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Maker's wax is nothing compared to knob creek wax

I don't buy either of them :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't buy either of them :colbert:

:colbert: You're missing out. The 2021 FAE-01 limited release is dope as gently caress.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: You're missing out. The 2021 FAE-01 limited release is dope as gently caress.

I'm sure I'm missing out on plenty of great whiskey. I simply don't drink whiskey enough to turn over bottles that often. Outside of mixers, I go through a bottle maybe every 3 months, and I have so many bottles that I have to finish one before buying another one

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maker's Mark wax is dumb but they basically do it right. It adds a distinguishing look to the product and doesn't really get in the way. Knob Creek wax looks and feels like something made as cheaply as possible using 19th century ingredients. It's crumbly, it's messy, it's ugly, it's just generally unpleasant.

As far as I'm concerned its role is scaring people away from those wonderful barrel picks.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Japanese Whisky Day was relatively successful!

We bottle killed Kiyosato Field Ballet 25th Anniversary. Suntory made it using Yamazaki 25 and Hakushu 25.

It was blended by Whisky Hall of Famer Koshimizu-san

Akuto-san was there of course.

He brought Chichibu 10 year Sherry cask sample. Not just any sample though! This is the same bottle he had when he was featured on the NHK special.

The full size commemorative bottle.

Next year we'll be doing something in English!

YouTube stream of the third part is available here, good luck with YouTube's auto-translate though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXE7v8k6do

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

All about that wax life

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I had a home bar accident today. Had a shelf secured to the wall with three 50lb drywall anchors tip. All three pulled out of the wall dumping several bottles and glasses on the floor. Fortunately nothing broke but the cork came out of my Glenmorangie 18 and I lost nearly a quarter of the bottle. At least the towel I cleaned up with smelled amazing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nostrata posted:

I had a home bar accident today. Had a shelf secured to the wall with three 50lb drywall anchors tip. All three pulled out of the wall dumping several bottles and glasses on the floor. Fortunately nothing broke but the cork came out of my Glenmorangie 18 and I lost nearly a quarter of the bottle. At least the towel I cleaned up with smelled amazing.

Noooo! This is my absolute nightmare, especially since I live in earthquake country. I keep all my best stuff on the floor of my pantry for this reason.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Noooo! This is my absolute nightmare, especially since I live in earthquake country. I keep all my best stuff on the floor of my pantry for this reason.

This is not the correct way to secure your bottles. The best way is to drink all of them.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

nostrata posted:

This happened to me a number of years ago. Liquor cabinet broke away from its anchors and fell over. I was lucky, however, as the cabinet was directly above the refrigerator; when it fell the doors couldn't open much at all. No bottles broke, just a few pieces of cheap glassware.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've got a floating IKEA cubby shelf with most of my bar stuff on there and I've beefed up the ledger board under it 2 separate times because of how scared that scenario makes me. I even move most of the bottles back towards the wall so there's less lever effect.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just cracked a bottle of Gordon& MacPhail Linkwood 15yo and holy poo poo is it good. Linkwood is fast becoming my current favorite. Have a couple of Flora and Fauna releases squirreled away. Those are good but not spectacular. This one is. Gonna be on the lookout for more independent bottlings of Linkwood. There's a whole bunch of them from what I've seen so lots to explore.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Gravitee posted:

All about that wax life

Let us know how the FAE-01 is. I went to the liquor store Friday and ended up with some Stranahan's Sherry Cask, but when I was checking out the owner offered me that bottle. I am not a huge fans of wheaters or Maker's and said no, but it was hard. I was tempted to buy just to have it, but I thought that would just take a bottle away from someone who would like it.

spankmeister posted:

Just cracked a bottle of Gordon& MacPhail Linkwood 15yo and holy poo poo is it good. Linkwood is fast becoming my current favorite. Have a couple of Flora and Fauna releases squirreled away. Those are good but not spectacular. This one is. Gonna be on the lookout for more independent bottlings of Linkwood. There's a whole bunch of them from what I've seen so lots to explore.

That's interesting! I've never seen actual Linkwood around, but I love Johnnie Green, and I imagine 15 year Linkwood is the base of that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nimmy posted:

Let us know how the FAE-01 is. I went to the liquor store Friday and ended up with some Stranahan's Sherry Cask, but when I was checking out the owner offered me that bottle. I am not a huge fans of wheaters or Maker's and said no, but it was hard. I was tempted to buy just to have it, but I thought that would just take a bottle away from someone who would like it.

It's great but if you don't love wheated bourbon or Makers then it's prob not anything I'd recommend for you.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I've got a 6 year rebel pick that is my new favorite wheatear until I open whatever makers LE I get next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

It's great but if you don't love wheated bourbon or Makers then it's prob not anything I'd recommend for you.

Yes. I love wheaters and Maker's so I am definitely biased.