Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Truly, it's the Star Wars Holiday Special of the MK franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm a big of Shao Khan raising his voice for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CBU-ZlXVBs

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

aw man it does my heart good to see cyrax, thats the sole reason i liked annihilation as a kid

this new movie had better have that yellow lad

I know a dude who named one of his kids Cyrax. People love the yellow dirtbike robot, I guess.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Robot Style posted:

I know a dude who named one of his kids Cyrax. People love the yellow dirtbike robot, I guess.

That second kid better be Sektor or Smoke.

Also everyone points to the Sindel line as an all time woof stinker of dialogue but anytime someone is screaming about embracing your Animality or whatever it's laugh out loud funny.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

weekly font posted:

His other kids are Raiden, Jax, and Kitana.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Robot Style posted:

His other kids are Raiden, Jax, and Kitana.

stop it

e: just remembered a friend of a friend has a daughter named Aerith lol

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'll legally change my name to Shinnok just as soon as I sire my two sons, Shao Kahn and Raiden.

When they come home with a bad report card I'll tell them I DO NOT WANT TO REMEMBER YOU THIS WEEK

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

weekly font posted:

Also everyone points to the Sindel line as an all time woof stinker of dialogue but anytime someone is screaming about embracing your Animality or whatever it's laugh out loud funny.

When Raiden says “Mortal Kombat is not about death, but rather the preservation of life” it’s a huge lol moment for me.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

weekly font posted:

stop it

Naming your kids after video games is perfectly normal. This is why my children are called Mario, Q-Bert, and Solar Jetman

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Broke: Naming your kids after popular video game characters

Woke: Naming your kids after not really popular video game characters, but ones you like.

Bespoke: Naming your kids after dark souls bosses. This is my daughter, Ceaseless Discharge, and her younger brother, Darkbeast Jarl.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Splint Chesthair posted:

When Raiden says “Mortal Kombat is not about death, but rather the preservation of life” it’s a huge lol moment for me.

I mean, isn't that basically canon, since the alternative is open inter-realm warfare?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Bee posted:

I mean, isn't that basically canon, since the alternative is open inter-realm warfare?

Technically, yeah I guess. But if you asked anyone to describe MK in one sentence, there's zero chance the word "life" gets used before "beheading," "disembowelment" or even "pulped." Defending the Earthrealm is a justification for ripping spines and shoving spikes through eyeballs.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Technically, yeah I guess. But if you asked anyone to describe MK in one sentence, there's zero chance the word "life" gets used before "beheading," "disembowelment" or even "pulped." Defending the Earthrealm is a justification for ripping spines and shoving spikes through eyeballs.

*cough*FRIENDSHIP*cough*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

*cough*FRIENDSHIP*cough*

Friendship?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

weekly font posted:

stop it

Aerith and Kairi.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

I think about the only way I could enjoy Annihilation today, as a nearly 37-year-old man, is if I were high as gently caress on some of the wildest indica ever grown by humans.
Do this with some friends and heckle it together. I did recently with a video sync over Discord and it's a lot more fun this way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Azubah posted:

I still love the fact that Johnny Cage was the back up chosen one.

Johnny Cage is one of the few characters who doesn't gently caress things up. Which you wouldn't expect based on how he acts. It rules that he's actually someone you can count on when it matters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Codependent Poster posted:

Johnny Cage is one of the few characters who doesn't gently caress things up. Which you wouldn't expect based on how he acts. It rules that he's actually someone you can count on when it matters.

In X, he's straight up Raiden's champion, everyone acknowledges it, and he never puts a foot wrong. Even if you do get this exchange:

"You need me here, Raiden."

"It wouldn't be hell without Johnny Cage."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Bee posted:

I mean, if the elder gods are powerful enough to enforce Mortal Kombat rules, they should also be able to just make a "no inter-realm invasions ever" rule. But evidently they don't feel like it :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Perestroika posted:

I mean, if the elder gods are powerful enough to enforce Mortal Kombat rules, they should also be able to just make a "no inter-realm invasions ever" rule. But evidently they don't feel like it :v:

They're bureaucrats and if show Shao Khan has the proper forms filled then they don't give a gently caress if he takes over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I kinda get the vibe the elder gods are generally wise but they also disagree on a ton of poo poo, as gods are wont to. The compromise exists because some of them think war is rad, probably.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kurt Russell/Jack Burton type?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're bureaucrats and if show Shao Khan has the proper forms filled then they don't give a gently caress if he takes over.

Kinda. When he did an "illegal" invasion it took some weird rules lawyering from Raiden to get them to finally intervene.

The elder gods are pretty useless.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Mx4qELr34

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gatts posted:

Kurt Russell/Jack Burton type?

Yeah that's a good comparison, though I think Cage is actually more competent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda get the vibe the elder gods are generally wise but they also disagree on a ton of poo poo, as gods are wont to. The compromise exists because some of them think war is rad, probably.

Or at least love an excuse for interdimensional deathmatches.

Yeah that's a good comparison, though I think Cage is actually more competent.

I think it helps that Cage is good at exactly two things: fighting and looking good, and he's aware of his skillset, and that if things are dire enough that he has to step up, he's going to do his damned best not to gently caress it up.

He's also apparently a pretty good dad, or at least became one. I get the impression he and Cassie often have conversations that consist entirely of movie quotes.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Johnny's motivation is to prove that he's as cool as he thinks he is and I'm glad he got at least one timeline to do it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah he's a good dad to Cassie. I like that they have a close bond and she's more like him than her mother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just realise that Johnny Cage is basically Johnny Bravo if he lived up to his ego.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He also gets the second best arcade ending in 11.

Young Johnny is shocked that Dad Johnny and Cassie have a good relation so after getting time powers he uses them to look into his future and see that he has a lot of growing up to do to get to that point and decides to leave his future mostly unchanged.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr. Neutron posted:

Truly, it's the Star Wars Holiday Special of the MK franchise.

I disagree. Mortal Kombat: The Live Tour is the Star Wars Holiday Special of the MK franchise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The rules of Mortal Kombat seem pretty fair to be honest. You gotta win 10 tournaments in a row to invade another realm and they're sometimes hundreds of years apart.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The weird part is how basically 99.9% of everyone on earth has no idea about this tournament. What happens if Shao Khan wins 10 times and the realms start merging and monsters pop out of thin air in NYC, will the people who fight back get disintegrated by the elder gods for being sore losers?

You'd think this poo poo wouldn't be kept secret and that Raiden would want the entire world to be aware they need to train mega-warriors to prevent the apocalypse.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The weird part is how basically 99.9% of everyone on earth has no idea about this tournament. What happens if Shao Khan wins 10 times and the realms start merging and monsters pop out of thin air in NYC, will the people who fight back get disintegrated by the elder gods for being sore losers?

You'd think this poo poo wouldn't be kept secret and that Raiden would want the entire world to be aware they need to train mega-warriors to prevent the apocalypse.

That's only from the first movie. It seems like everyone but Johnny is aware of this in the games.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's only from the first movie. It seems like everyone but Johnny is aware of this in the games.

Only post MK3 when Shao Khan forcefully tried merging the realms and you had stages like a bank and the subway. Its kind of hard to keep the tournament a secret when you had a big soulnado in LA.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Archer666 posted:

Only post MK3 when Shao Khan forcefully tried merging the realms and you had stages like a bank and the subway. Its kind of hard to keep the tournament a secret when you had a big soulnado in LA.

Yeah but even in the first game Sonya doesn't seem to be shocked by any of the stuff happening. If I'm remembering the story of MK9 correctly anyway.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah but even in the first game Sonya doesn't seem to be shocked by any of the stuff happening. If I'm remembering the story of MK9 correctly anyway.

She was too distracted by keeping her boobs from exploding out of her jacket

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

davidspackage posted:

She was too distracted by keeping her boobs from exploding out of her jacket

You know how every other realm has like, cool powers? But humans are just regular rear end humans? The women being able to stay in those outfits is earthrealms inherent magic trait.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

The elder gods hate try-hards. It's why the rules are stacked against Shao Khan in the first place, if he had eased up a little they might have agreed to five wins in a row as a condition for invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It allows the winner to stage an invasion. It does guarantee that it will succeed and that rules.

Sure you trained an army of monsters to take over Earthrealm the moment you win but you didn't know that humans had A-10 Warthog technology.

"hahaha Goro liquifier machine goes brrrrrrr"