Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"The Mandalore Plot" three-parter was so good that I got shivers near the end. I like how the architecture is all cubist and the Duchess's portrait looks like a Picasso painting.

Instead of killing the hostage taker with a lightsaber through the chest at the end of the second episode, Anakin could have sliced through the arm holding the detonator. "Overlooking" that is in keeping with Anakin's character, though, and it only would have made the same point about approaches to resolving a hostage situation with negotiating or violence, while being less dramatic. In all the previous hostage-taking scenes in the series, there'd usually be a way out, like the ship being fired upon shakes it, creating an opportunity, so it was a good moment.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

galenanorth posted:

"The Mandalore Plot" three-parter was so good that I got shivers near the end. I like how the architecture is all cubist and the Duchess's portrait looks like a Picasso painting.

Instead of killing the hostage taker with a lightsaber through the chest at the end of the second episode, Anakin could have sliced through the arm holding the detonator. "Overlooking" that is in keeping with Anakin's character, though, and it only would have made the same point about approaches to resolving a hostage situation with negotiating or violence, while being less dramatic. In all the previous hostage-taking scenes in the series, there'd usually be a way out, like the ship being fired upon shakes it, creating an opportunity, so it was a good moment.

in the heart would still leave them moments of life to press the button, through the neck or lower brain stem would have been the better play.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

"Anakin, stop showing off and just use the Force to make his fingers bend the wrong way already, cripes." - Obi-wan Kenobi (internal dialogue) (I don't remember if Obi-wan was actually present or not and can't be arsed to look it up but it's what he would've thought, anyway.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea he was there, and a few notes of the Imperial March played after Anakin stabbed the guy. Felt like a really nice touch. Those little hints of darkness in Anakin added up so well that I’m surprised he didn’t kick off the Jedi purge himself when Ahsoka left the Order.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Anakin is a zealot, for whatever cause he lines himself up for, is the issue.

Apparently an EU thing is that Obi-Wan is a drunken master with a lightsaber.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anakin is a zealot, for whatever cause he lines himself up for, is the issue.

Apparently an EU thing is that Obi-Wan is a drunken master with a lightsaber.

I would legit pay to see a movie of Qui-Gonn tossing bottle after bottle of Corellian whiskey to Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan downing them increasing creative ways, who then proceeds to shred through an army on his own.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea he was there, and a few notes of the Imperial March played after Anakin stabbed the guy. Felt like a really nice touch. Those little hints of darkness in Anakin added up so well that I’m surprised he didn’t kick off the Jedi purge himself when Ahsoka left the Order.

They do the "Anakin does something morally suspect and the Imperial March plays" so often that it starts being funny.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

They do the "Anakin does something morally suspect and the Imperial March plays" so often that it starts being funny.

Anakin shopping at the Galactic 7-11and buys a few snacks and sodas for a trip.

Cashier droid accidentally gives him an extra Credit back in change.

Anakin notices, but doesn't say anything and pockets the money, turns and leaves. *lmperial March in strings plays*

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of curiosity, why were most of the Clone Wars episodes aired out of order for the broadcast version?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They weren't aired out of order, they intentionally jumped back and forth in the timeline in the early seasons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And a couple things were reshuffled post facto. I don't remember all the details at this point, but the novelization of the clone wars film and one of the first series tie in novels have references to some season 1 episodes in a slightly different order than the final timeline, back when they were still trying to fit new clone wars in with all the prior stuff

(Sidebar: I really wish the new clone wars had just been removed from legends when the split happened, rather than being some of the small handful of "exists in both continuities" stuff)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cargohills posted:

They weren't aired out of order, they intentionally jumped back and forth in the timeline in the early seasons.

Ah I see, I only watched the series recently so I wasn’t sure whether it was a network issue or if they did it intentionally

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Anakin shopping at the Galactic 7-11and buys a few snacks and sodas for a trip.

Cashier droid accidentally gives him an extra Credit back in change.

Anakin notices, but doesn't say anything and pockets the money, turns and leaves. *lmperial March in strings plays*

Anakin stands up, adjusts his robes, flushes, and walks out of the stall. As he washes his hands, a voice comes from another stall. “Hey? Anybody there? I’m out of toilet paper.”

As Anakin walks briskly out of the bathroom, the Imperial March sting briefly plays.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I know the S5 premiere was deliberately aired out of chronological order since they wanted to start the season with a bang.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Ah I see, I only watched the series recently so I wasn’t sure whether it was a network issue or if they did it intentionally

I don't honestly know why they did it, but I've always enjoyed it and thought it added to the "fog of war" that you never know where the story of the first season or two takes place chronologically, and that we sometimes dip in to stories at odd points. It makes the war feel bigger and more confusing to me, which puts you in the shoes of the characters involved a little more intimately. I don't know if it was the intention, but I like the effect regardless.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"You gonna wash your hands?"
"No. 'Cause I'm a Sith."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheCenturion posted:

Anakin stands up, adjusts his robes, flushes, and walks out of the stall. As he washes his hands, a voice comes from another stall. “Hey? Anybody there? I’m out of toilet paper.”

As Anakin walks briskly out of the bathroom, the Imperial March sting briefly plays.

Ani Spanishhhh

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The_Doctor posted:

Ani Spanishhhh

Holy poo poo I now want the entire Ricky Spanish montage redone for Clone Wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I probably need to watch that show. I feel like it reception is probably in part because it does its best to live up to the promise that the prequels didn't quite manage to properly deliver of a tragic arc of a well-intentioned person falling to evil because the system that trained and armed him fails to stop him or properly prepare him to deal with moral dilemmas.

The EU stuff from that era in general seems to work well- IIRC, Qui-Gon's second apprentice (before Obi-Wan) failed to become a Knight and turns to the Dark Side, and it doesn't seem like an uncommon thing, but the Jedi seem confident in their ability to deal with 'lone wolf' rogues.

Does come to mind that, IMO, the best kind of setting to give to writers is a powder keg waiting to go off.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It felt like Anakin was so angry the entire Attack of the Clones movie that it's like most of his character development in the entire trilogy happened between the first two movies. He's 100% "Obi-Wan doesn't think I'm ready, but I'll show him!!!" besides the scenes on Tattooine and the love scenes with Padme. His descent being like someone who is fine most of the time, but who struggles and increasingly slips into something like alcoholism, makes more sense. The opening chase and the Obi-Wan/Kamino scenes were the best parts of that movie

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

galenanorth posted:

It felt like Anakin was so angry the entire Attack of the Clones movie that it's like most of his character development in the entire trilogy happened between the first two movies. He's 100% "Obi-Wan doesn't think I'm ready, but I'll show him!!!" besides the scenes on Tattooine and the love scenes with Padme. His descent being like someone who is fine most of the time, but who struggles and increasingly slips into something like alcoholism, makes more sense. The opening chase and the Obi-Wan/Kamino scenes were the best parts of that movie

That fuckin elevator scene where they’re talking about all the cool fun poo poo they did offscreen that immediately preceded a fifteen minute whinealog was downright insulting.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the six earliest Cad Bane episodes, packaged together chronologically in a two hour block and watched over about three days. The first three episodes are an arc involving finding stealing a list of Force-sensitive children, and the last three involve breaking Ziro the Hutt out of jail. The first three episodes establish very well that Cad Bane is far better at planning and traps than any of Palpatine Darth Sidious's other top-level lackeys. It was tense and had some good Ahsohka moments.

The fourth episode was a "main characters' animal sidekicks have an adventure the main characters don't know about" episode, and those are rarely good. "Idiot ball" behavior drove the plot of the episode, first a "droid maintenance spa" distraction to separate C-3PO from R2-D2, then C-3PO revealing to his torturer that R2-D2 is the one specializing in secret plans. In the last three episodes, the stakes are Ziro in/out of jail, but they don't come across as that important, either, because Ziro employs the bounty hunter who double-crossed Boba Fett, and her escape wasn't shown on-screen. I never liked Ziro's voice, or the "crime movie stereotypes, but with aliens" antics, either.

"Heroes on Both Sides", "Pursuit of Peace", "Senate Murders", and "A Friend in Need" were fantastic, though. Poor Uncle Ono. The animation on the darksaber was gorgeous

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 26, 2021

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

galenanorth posted:

The prequel trilogy works better when you realize Anakin's story is not about a good man and virtuous Jedi who falls to the dark side. He is a troubled boy brought into the Jedi order despite Yoda's warnings. Then he grows up into an angry young man who is unable to defeat his demons or overcome grief; instead he is taught how to turn that anger into a great force of destruction.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Killer robot posted:

The prequel trilogy works better when you realize Anakin's story is not about a good man and virtuous Jedi who falls to the dark side. He is a troubled boy brought into the Jedi order despite Yoda's warnings. Then he grows up into an angry young man who is unable to defeat his demons or overcome grief; instead he is taught how to turn that anger into a great force of destruction.

Anakin is repeatedly dropped like a bomb on problems the Republic can't deal with any other way, and everyone seems pretty okay with this, until they aren't.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Madurai posted:

Anakin is repeatedly dropped like a bomb on problems the Republic can't deal with any other way, and everyone seems pretty okay with this, until they aren't.

I wish that was the portrayal the prequel went with because gently caress me if it isn't compelling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VanSandman posted:

I wish that was the portrayal the prequel went with because gently caress me if it isn't compelling.

The prequel EU stuff is often really good specifically because it basically does that, following up on stuff that the movies hinted at but really didn't explore properly.

Kinda goes with the whole point of the Clone Wars being that the Jedi lost the moment they started, because the whole situation was engineered to be disastrous for them on every level, all the worse because, in theory, they're almost certainly going to win.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1376534672843239435?s=20

Owen, Beru and Han!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Han? (fake edit: Oh, Fast and Furious. I'm slow this morning.)

Excited about Indira Varma, she's great. Rupert Friend was awesome in Death of Stalin, too. Nice cast.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Big fan of O’Shea, any idea who his character will be?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

thrawn527 posted:

Han? (fake edit: Oh, Fast and Furious. I'm slow this morning.)

Excited about Indira Varma, she's great. Rupert Friend was awesome in Death of Stalin, too. Nice cast.

Wild move to refer to someone as their character from a separate franchise who happens to share a name with a very important character in this franchise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Epi Lepi posted:

Wild move to refer to someone as their character from a separate franchise who happens to share a name with a very important character in this franchise.

Yeah, Teek was making a joke that I didn't pick up on at first.

Cartoon Man posted:

Big fan of O’Shea, any idea who his character will be?

Outside of the returning characters, I don't think we know who anyone is playing yet.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I mean his character's name is Han Seoul-Oh, how could I not. Expect to see that same joke repeated multiple times today on Twitter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Safdie brother out of nowhere! Hope he can direct an episode.

Then an entire movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Glad to see Bonnie Piesse get her role back as Beru after all that bullshit with NXIVM.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

scrap all the scripts and fire the showrunner and let the safdies do the whole thing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

romanowski posted:

scrap all the scripts and fire the showrunner and let the safdies do the whole thing

Deborah Chow owns though.

Also drat, that cast is real good. Happy to see Beru and Owen back. I love Joel Edgerton :allears:

I hope to see Obi-Wan and Owen butt heads eventually. Also lol if they make Owen a former gangster/smuggler who went into hiding on Tatooine.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

romanowski posted:

Obi-Wan: "I want Sebulba off the starting line, I want him combined pods taken out and laps led, and to win it all."
Watto: "Ehhhhhhhhhh thats the dumbest bet I ever heard"
Obi-Wan: "I disagree."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm hoping at least one of those will be an Inquisitor, as this would be when they were still active. Probably one of the younger ones. I can see either Friend or Varma being Imperials, though if its Varma I feel like she'd be some Intelligence officer.

But it's way, way too early to guess at anything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yes, please bring those into these - inquisitors are awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What even happened to the inquisitors? did phoenix kill them all?