Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scan mode 2 will allow you to use the "scan" command in the menu you get when you right click a ship, just above boarding.

Don't ask me why it needs to be in scan mode 2 for that command to activate but it does. Also don't ask me why it isn't just a matter of getting close with scan mode 2 on like it is with everything else that scan mode does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, drat, that sounds like something I'll need to pilot the ship myself to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be able to ask other ships to do it? I've never tried, I always lead boarding actions myself because you usually want to immobilize and disarm the ship first and the AI isn't very good at doing that. Also you want to drop the marines outside the turret coverage which again, the AI isn't very good at.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that something you can do to larger ships? i've only bothered engaging fighters so far.

EDIT: and things like "tour bus" when they turn up red as part of the generic Criminal faction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Larger ships can have their engines and turrets targeted independently yes, I don't think fighters can have their engines disabled and I also don't even think you can board them because they would move too fast, fighters have a chance to randomly bail under fire at which point you can claim them, but larger ships can be boarded forcibly.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

OwlFancier posted:

You might be able to ask other ships to do it? I've never tried, I always lead boarding actions myself because you usually want to immobilize and disarm the ship first and the AI isn't very good at doing that. Also you want to drop the marines outside the turret coverage which again, the AI isn't very good at.
I'm pretty sure you can, yes. Select your boarding ship(s) first, then right-click on the target ship and hit Board. It'll pop up the boarding menu but won't start until you allocate marines from your ship(s) and hit whatever the magical start button is. Just make sure you select every boarding ship you're going to use first because last time I did this I wasn't able to send in additional marines beyond those launched in the first wave (I assume this is a bug; don't know if it's fixed).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

Pretty much every NPC station should have a L/XL dock. It's the first thing they build from what I've seen.

Yeah but the ship tends to take forever to fill and gets fussy about docking even if there's a pier.

You're better off with a bunch of smaller haulers for constant income rather than the one big chunk when it decides to dock.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah but the ship tends to take forever to fill and gets fussy about docking even if there's a pier.

You're better off with a bunch of smaller haulers for constant income rather than the one big chunk when it decides to dock.

More cargo drones.

IIRC most NPC stations have almost no drones.

Also add more drones to your own station. Logistic Overview if you don't know how.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

All my mission reward magnetars have 8 mining drones and 2 cargo drones, they don't have any trouble bringing home the bacon :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I meant the scanning. I've never seen an option to order a pilot to scan something turn up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scanning and long range scan mode feels very underbaked tbh

I bought some drone blueprints, what module blueprint do I need to build them? I got cargo, building, and gas collection ones lol, can I have the gas ones go out from my stations and automine somehow?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

RBA Starblade posted:

Scanning and long range scan mode feels very underbaked tbh

I bought some drone blueprints, what module blueprint do I need to build them? I got cargo, building, and gas collection ones lol, can I have the gas ones go out from my stations and automine somehow?

Either built by station itself for itself, or you need a ship construction or maintenance bay to dock and order them for your ships

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slickdrac posted:

Either built by station itself for itself, or you need a ship construction or maintenance bay to dock and order them for your ships

Oh cool, I should be good to go with them then. That's convenient!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Piracy is good.
its really good when you know that the two ships you are going to be getting your scaley paws on have rediculously large blind spots, but in the opposite places.
the Behemoth is pretty simple, it has guns all over it, aside from pointing directly behind it.
once you have taken out the engines and any drones or laser turrets, its a large brick until someone decides to fix the engines, but hopefully before then you will have 5-10 marines running around on it pissing on their space rugs,
The Teladi, on the other claw, made it really difficult to blatt their engines, so they might seem to be harder to cap.

Nah, they are rediculously easy.

They have a big hole on the front that spits out drones and suchlike, sit there and scan the ship, often it will make the next part easier for you as well by freaking out and burning off its sheilds retreating, forwards. pushing you along with it. you can either scan first or launch your marines,
occasionally your marines will be released oscillating at a certain frequency, meaning they will pass straight through the ship and if they dont get vaporised immediately, will be scabbling to catch up, only to be vapourised when they get back in range.

but thats why you save before lauching them.

unmodded until now, as far as i know, your marines will start doing their thing when you have the ship down to about 75% hull, in the capture screen, its probably best to choose "keep distance" for your ship, and launch/capture at the most dangerous to your marines settings.

both ships can be taken in an M sized ship, but a third and deffo more attractive ship is the FAF Rattlesnake, which will take a bunch of attempts to get due to its layout being far harder to hide from guns.
however, when you have one, nothing is safe from you.

What I usually do to get one is fill a Behemoth with marines, smash into the rear and try to take out the 3 engines, launch all your marines and then dive down as quick as I can to escape its retribution. then just try to keep out of its range while the rng decides the fate of your peons.
you can set up a lot of commands while you are paused as well, this can allow you a greater amount of control over the flow of a battle or capture.

E: For what its worth, I'm just going through the CoH missions now. this game has a bunch of ship mods and a decent piracy mod for harassing space people.I also have the "learnallthethings" mod so I can get decent pilots/crew whatever and a better pace than the base games glacial pace.
Oh,
you can switch the jobs of the crew of your ships by going to info/crew, and reducing the slider from x, and increasing the slider on y, then hitting ok, they will also keep their level, so free 5 star marines from a bunch of grubby ship staff is possible.

staberind fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 26, 2021

timn
Mar 16, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the Proton Barrage weapon worth using over the TER pulses? I don't think I've seen anything use it yet

The proton barrage is very good. It's like a super powerful pulse laser and looks + sounds great. Still doesn't have the raw damage output of tau accelerators, but it has greater precision and range to help make up for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Naked Bear posted:

I'm pretty sure you can, yes. Select your boarding ship(s) first, then right-click on the target ship and hit Board. It'll pop up the boarding menu but won't start until you allocate marines from your ship(s) and hit whatever the magical start button is. Just make sure you select every boarding ship you're going to use first because last time I did this I wasn't able to send in additional marines beyond those launched in the first wave (I assume this is a bug; don't know if it's fixed).

Oh sorry yes you can absolutely use multiple ships to do boarding actions the UI lets you flip between them and everything, what I mean is I don't know if you can get other ships to scan.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

anyone know wth that icon is under the turret status? I can click on it and changes icons and numbers, but there is no documentation on the wiki about those hud icons.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Furthur to that, be sure to include all the ships in your boarding plan, you cant add some more until it fails, or succeeds, but the latter should only be attempted when time starts flowing backwards due to liberal rum consumption.

ughhhh posted:

anyone know wth that icon is under the turret status? I can click on it and changes icons and numbers, but there is no documentation on the wiki about those hud icons.

the one above the ship is, i think, "picking up drops".

the different icons above your turrets icons is telling you what they are supposed to be doing, hitting return puts you into the shop commands screen, where you can enable/disable those turrets, or give them specific ship type targets like capitals or defence from missiles. (for me; usually its set to attack all/target of ship and enabled/disabled on the fly)

staberind fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 26, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ughhhh posted:

those are your drones

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Zereth posted:

So how do I get readouts on like, boarding strength so I know if I've got a decent shot at taking one?

OwlFancier posted:

Oh sorry yes you can absolutely use multiple ships to do boarding actions the UI lets you flip between them and everything, what I mean is I don't know if you can get other ships to scan.
I lost my train of thought halfway through typing that. :doh:

What I should have written, to clarify and actually answer the question on boarding strength, is that you can just pull up that boarding menu in lieu of personally scanning the target ship. That should give the actual breakdown on the defenders' strength and, I think, this works even out of sector.

Of course, now that I type "I think it works OOS" I realize that I'm not so sure of that.

Perhaps ignore this entire post. Hurf.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Naked Bear posted:

What I should have written, to clarify and actually answer the question on boarding strength, is that you can just pull up that boarding menu in lieu of personally scanning the target ship. That should give the actual breakdown on the defenders' strength and, I think, this works even out of sector.

Of course, now that I type "I think it works OOS" I realize that I'm not so sure of that.

http/i.imgur.com/RpBzUJm.mp4

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 27, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BMan posted:

those are your drones

Well when the hell did I get drones/deploy them? Also what's the use of drones anyways (I have seen masses of defence drones come out of stations so I can see that being useful for cap ships).

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Currently using my Syn as a giant wall to block shots from police destroyers at this SCA behemoth I'm trying to capture.

Edit: gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Naked Bear posted:

The boarding menu I believe requires the ship to be scanned in order to know the enemy defence composition, or at least it does when I try to board things in person. You can certainly just throw marines at the ship blindly and that probably works in vanilla but in my VRO game it usually gets everyone killed, and it might do the same in vanilla depending on what you want to board and what you're boarding with.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've gotten to a certain ring mission (but there are no fingers), after the firewall triggering (ie. 2/3rds of the way through the bar at the bottom), managed to get every single switch flipped to on, except #4.

I've been trying for going on 5 hours, and apparently I'm just too loving stupid for this - even writing it down, I can't figure it out.
Worst of all, apparently I don't have a savegame until way back at Getsu Fune (ie. before the entire chain of nonsense with getting there starts, which might be fun the first time, but when you've had to redo it twice prior because of some apparently-perfect detection by the Terran fly-boys, it loses its charm).

So I'm practically willing to beg for someone to help me figure this out, because I'm ready to quit the game over it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you only have to use your repair laser to solve it.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they had repair lasered a covered switch which broke the sequence and made it impossible to solve.

But looking into the bug I think I stumbled on to someone with your exact setup, everything green except #4. Solution:

Step 1 - Switch 5 off, 4 should go on

Step 2 - Switch 3 on, 4 should go off

Step 3 - Switch 4 on, 5 should go on

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why the hell would the devs put mines inside lockboxes that you can scan or prep for beforehand.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hmmmm, yeah, Ive had to dissuade the locals from ruyining my capture sessions a bunch of times, it sucks,
also, just had to murk a guy, oh well, it only took 8 capitals and all the mines and lasertowers they were carrying next to a gate to slow him down enough for my ship to get a lock on and shoot him once, at least he then stopped and gave up, when 12 other attempts had him zoop off and rat my rear end out.
cretin.

Rowboat Gorillaman is strong and real and my friend.

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 27, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they had repair lasered a covered switch which broke the sequence and made it impossible to solve.

But looking into the bug I think I stumbled on to someone with your exact setup, everything green except #4. Solution:

Step 1 - Switch 5 off, 4 should go on

Step 2 - Switch 3 on, 4 should go off

Step 3 - Switch 4 on, 5 should go on

3 is covered/locked.

EDIT: I figured it out.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 27, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

3 is covered/locked.

4 on uncovers 3 IIRC

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

chglcu posted:

4 on uncovers 3 IIRC
No.

I figured it out, by making it so 6, 7 and 8 was off, then toggling 8 as that toggles all three.

I still think this mission is loving terrible.
I also think pubbies are terrible for claiming that there are situations where it's insolvable, since the shields that cover the buttons are only supposed to protect against shooting them, not repairing them, I think?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What do people fly generally? I’ve never across all the X games flown bigger than an M but I have an Eclipse and an Osprey. I’m really mad at the lack of tooltips on the shipyard screen because I don’t know what any of the guns do and there’s a weird lack of guides that tell you what makes for good load outs.

I want to start boarding SCA ships to make my fortune but I’m not sure how to go about it. My eclipse can only carry 5 marines.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I did the uhh genesis project? Start and now I’m in some far away quadrant. I got a mission to kill 10 of some pirate faction or zealots or something. I flew around for like an hour looking at stuff and didn’t bump into any. How do I find them?

Also is it possible to get my rapier over to where I am? Or is there anything I can do with it over where it is?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

What do people fly generally? I’ve never across all the X games flown bigger than an M but I have an Eclipse and an Osprey. I’m really mad at the lack of tooltips on the shipyard screen because I don’t know what any of the guns do and there’s a weird lack of guides that tell you what makes for good load outs.

I want to start boarding SCA ships to make my fortune but I’m not sure how to go about it. My eclipse can only carry 5 marines.

If you got the cash and rep, cobras! I just made myself a fleet of three with myself piloting one of them. It can carry 25 marines and has a good load out of weapons and engines. Or go the cheap way and pilot a single cobra (you get one for free in the split quest) and have several boa's filled with marines follow you around.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I have 2 S/M fabrication bays at my wharf but only one is being used to build ships. How do I get the other one to also produce? Thought maybe adding a second ship trader would do the trick but I can't find a way to assign another. I remember having multiple fab bays in use before on the same station so I'm sure it should be possible.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Unless you break your mod hymen, the cobra's are probably your best vanilla bet for a flagship early to mid game,
what is mid to late game? you ask,
Probably when you have started making a nefarious empire mostly dealing druqz, (nopilious memorial is sort of good to take over asap, somehow I've concentrated all my empire junk in Getsu Fune, but my very first stations were in the two nopilious sectors, just take em over, add lots of storage and start with drugs, then the absolute basics of materials processing : turning ore into metal or sillicone, gasses into the next step up the ladder to graphine and so on.)
but before you start vomiting spacebux by making ships for all the races to smash together.

when you decide to ad a couple of mods that are purely for quality of life, like "legalize it!" or maybe faster training or... well, whatever,
your options for a good runabout to slowly osmose into widen beyond Cobra then Rattlesake then... an I?!
a nice rediculous mod adds more piratey flavour ships, you dont get the blueprints, but talking to rando's gives you the option of buying some ships like the Spike or/and the Badger.
the spike is basically a split ship on crack, and the badger is a hybrid of a fighting ship and a trade/drug runner.

oke ship mods are Pirate Engeneered and Saphire Ships, I really like the scratchbuilds of Brummbear as well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I have 2 S/M fabrication bays at my wharf but only one is being used to build ships. How do I get the other one to also produce? Thought maybe adding a second ship trader would do the trick but I can't find a way to assign another. I remember having multiple fab bays in use before on the same station so I'm sure it should be possible.

Do you have enough construction drones? That limits ship construction in a fabrication bay. I think it's 5/10/20/40, but I might be mistaken of the larger classes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

No.

I figured it out, by making it so 6, 7 and 8 was off, then toggling 8 as that toggles all three.

I still think this mission is loving terrible.
I also think pubbies are terrible for claiming that there are situations where it's insolvable, since the shields that cover the buttons are only supposed to protect against shooting them, not repairing them, I think?

That was fixed in the hotfix yesterday. It was possible to glitch it if you used repair laser on 2 or 7 when covered and showing repair icon. It would flip the other switches, but would not change itself and still have the repair icon, this wouldn't happen every time though, so it was possible to get 1/2 or 7/8 (or if you're super dumb like me, both pairs), in alternate states, which IS unsolvable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Taerkar posted:

Do you have enough construction drones? That limits ship construction in a fabrication bay. I think it's 5/10/20/40, but I might be mistaken of the larger classes.

I have no drones at all! That must be it.