Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Yeah, but one of the main themes of the story is "lovely parents", right? The gods created mortals and then neglected them, mistreated them, outright abandoned them like you said. I'll go you one better - the gods created the Snarl and then voluntarily abandoned it (in a cage that they keep rebuilding). Even if it's not the optimal move in terms of rationally maximizing their divine power, it's still a totally realistic and petty choice in keeping with all the other realistically bad parents in the strip.

This is another example - she lost worship because of something her dad did. (Although I still feel like this is all part of a long con by the All-Father, Odin - in some way he foresaw the possibility of creating a new quiddity, and so he got Loki to trick Thor into tricking Hel into taking part. I think this is also why he's so addled this time around, as some part of the plan that we haven't seen yet.)

they said odin is so hosed up because the setting of the last universe was extremely unodiny and he didnt mesh well with it i thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jsoh posted:

they said odin is so hosed up because the setting of the last universe was extremely unodiny and he didnt mesh well with it i thought
They did. He's gone all mad prophet, because the last world saw magic as being for fools and lunatics, but that didn't stop him from actually being magical, it just shaped him with their belief.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

karmicknight posted:

She specifically does not because without those dorf souls she cashes out upon winning her bet with Thor and Loki, Loki is pretty sure she's not making it to the next world (in the same way the Dark One ain't making it through the process of playing whichever worldbuilding game the gods play), there is a dialog between Loki and Thor around the time Thor does the "I guess I'm placing my trust in you, Durkon" speech to this effect.

Not quite Hel is long established, so Loki is worried she might not make it through, but not certain.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

jsoh posted:

Thor said that. Thor is gullible and prone to getting tricked into things. While standing next to his brother and his father, the two greatest conmen in their pantheon, one of whom previously tricked him once on panel. And then right after Thor says that Odin is hosed up, Odin makes a bunch of cryptic statements about the Snarl. To me the implication is that the story is a cover they told Thor to hide whatever Odin's plan really is and why it required him to lose a bunch of power in this world. (Maybe he figured out a way to donate his god-power to the Dark One in order to set up a new quiddity, and that's the big scheme?)

Ponsonby Britt fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 20, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Thor said that. Thor is gullible and prone to getting tricked into things. While standing next to his brother and his father, the two greatest conmen in their pantheon, one of whom previously tricked him once on panel. And then right after Thor says that Odin is hosed up, Odin makes a bunch of cryptic statements about the Snarl. To me the implication is that the story is a cover they told Thor to hide whatever Odin's plan really is and why it required him to lose a bunch of power in this world. (Maybe he figured out a way to donate his god-power to the Dark One in order to set up a new quiddity, and that's the big scheme?)

On the other hand: that time odin was upset a puppet changed their mind about joining the norse pantheon.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Perhaps Odin is secretly Mephisto??

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Banjo would absolutely have an unique quiddity, duh.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Odin might be genuinely addled and scheming something. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Odin might be genuinely addled and scheming something. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Honestly, I feel like Odin being in control of his senses but playing the fool fits a lot better within the framework of a series that contains Lord Shojo as a character of major importance even after his death. However Odin being loving wild is way funnier and contrasting Odin with Shojo is also a cool bit of story so I'm on board with Odin being both scheming and loving out of it.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Banjo would absolutely have an unique quiddity, duh.

Not if he had joined the Northern Panteon, just like the elf gods he would have been co-opted by the other ones. Now however, there is the possibility for a banjo colored crayon in the box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

karmicknight posted:

Not if he had joined the Northern Panteon, just like the elf gods he would have been co-opted by the other ones.

Also he's a puppet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also he's a puppet.

I mean the last we saw he was being worshipped by a tribe of orcs, wasn't he? Might be enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the last we saw he was being worshipped by a tribe of orcs, wasn't he? Might be enough.

No it was just a joke was brought up in comic. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1027.html

Also the Orcs worship Giggles now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also The Dark One's ascension involved a massive army of worshippers killing a million people in a year, I think a puppet ascending to godhood would need a bit more than one isolated island of worshippers.

But I also would like Banjo to end up the arbitrator of the Gods' grievances over a pie-eating contest.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Didn't Banjo summon a teeny-tiny bolt of lightning? That at least implies a Divine Rank 0.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's fun to speculate but I don't think Banjo is gonna be pulling any butts out of the fire over the course of the comic. I think if we're lucky we get thrown a bone in a wrapup panel right before the comic concludes and we find out the ultimate fate of Banjo and Giggles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it'd feel cheap if Banjo solved everything, but it does make sense for him to be relevant at some point, especially if Elan has a level in cleric. Maybe Elan will be the only one who could reason with Giggles.

I think it's really hard to predict what'll happen with sealing the rifts because that's at least like 5 major plot points ahead, probably more. We're headed right now towards a confrontation between Serini and the Order, they're getting ready to have another big fight with Xykon, probably that won't go right, but either way, they'll have to have a confrontation involving the gate at some point, and something weird is inside the gate other than just a big god-killing monster.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Somewhere in the epilogue someone will ask if Banjo could have had another quiddity and it will show Banjo glowing pink or something with elan saying DUN DUN DUNNNN

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it'd feel cheap if Banjo solved everything, but it does make sense for him to be relevant at some point, especially if Elan has a level in cleric. Maybe Elan will be the only one who could reason with Giggles.

I think it's really hard to predict what'll happen with sealing the rifts because that's at least like 5 major plot points ahead, probably more. We're headed right now towards a confrontation between Serini and the Order, they're getting ready to have another big fight with Xykon, probably that won't go right, but either way, they'll have to have a confrontation involving the gate at some point, and something weird is inside the gate other than just a big god-killing monster.

I mean we do know there is. We're told all the worlds are destroyed but the one glimpse inside the portals we got is very distinctly not a destroyed world.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ImpAtom posted:

I mean we do know there is. We're told all the worlds are destroyed but the one glimpse inside the portals we got is very distinctly not a destroyed world.

There are still plenty of questions about that - there are roughly 3 possibilities:

1) The gods are just wrong and left and didn't realize the world wasn't destroyed somehow
2) The gods are lying
3) The gods are being truthful and correct and are not aware that the Snarl has made a new world for whatever tangly reasons it may have

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Shugojin posted:

There are still plenty of questions about that - there are roughly 3 possibilities:

1) The gods are just wrong and left and didn't realize the world wasn't destroyed somehow
2) The gods are lying
3) The gods are being truthful and correct and are not aware that the Snarl has made a new world for whatever tangly reasons it may have

Right as he was getting resurrected, Durkon mentioned a planet inside the rift to Thor, who seemed genuinely confused by it. So while we can't completely rule #2 out, it seems unlikely.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
double post????? i need a new mouse apparently

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Thor was deffo confused by the idea of there being a world inside the rift when he got stumped by Durkon's drive by "planet in the rift" drop, Odin was too, but his statement at the godsmoot seems relevant (and supports the Odin is both out of his loving mind and also more aware than any other character)

edit: of course me going and looking it up seems to meant that I was beaten, f.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also he's a puppet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I re-read Start of Darkness, so mild spoilers, but it reminded me that Serini and her party has actually fought the Dark One's high priest, one of Redcloak's predecessors, over a Rift before, as Redcloak explains to Xykon in a flashback sequence. I wonder if Serini remembers this and it affects her decisions in any way?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I just want to see a proper apotheosis of banjo and his 5th quidity

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

lobster22221 posted:

I just want to see a proper apotheosis of banjo and his 5th quidity

It could be a post-credits gag. Everything's resolved and then we see Banjo and Giggles with their own quiddity drinking tea together.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

nimby posted:

It could be a post-credits gag. Everything's resolved and then we see Banjo and Giggles with their own quiddity drinking tea together.

That's the best idea to address them that I've read yet. It would be quite awkward to sweep them under the rug as a throwaway gag when 'a god is born outside of any pantheon' is literally the most important event in the history of the world. On the other hand, can't have the epic galactic plot hinge on a throwaway gag, either.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I hope the comic never mentions it again and weirdos argue about if the puppet was actually a god or not for decades

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I hope the comic never mentions it again and weirdos argue about if the puppet was actually a god or not for decades

I’ll have you know I plan to do this no matter how concrete an answer Rich provides

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Even if Rich gives an answer we can always argue about whether it fits RAW.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Even if Rich gives an answer we can always argue about whether it fits RAW.

Or their alignment. Some may suppose that Banjo is chaotic good to Giggles chaotic evil, however I propose that they are, in fact, both chaotic neutral. Over the next three chapters I will examine the full context of...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1230.html Back to our main characters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
They're unstoppable now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh poo poo. Emotional resolution. Somebody is about to die.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Random Stranger posted:

Oh poo poo. Emotional resolution. Somebody is about to die.

Yeah, it looks like things are winding down.

Soooooo... when it's all over, do you think the camera will pull back to reveal a bunch of dorks sitting around a kitchen table?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, it looks like things are winding down.

Soooooo... when it's all over, do you think the camera will pull back to reveal a bunch of dorks sitting around a kitchen table?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Durkon's casting something. Probably Sending?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Durkon's casting something. Probably Sending?

Looks like they're making resting/preparing spells for another round with Xykon when Team Evil exits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What do you bet Serini is overhearing this and thinking back to how dysfunctional the Scribble were?