Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In the land of the unholy, the one-eyed angel is king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Angemon and HolyAngemon are usually a tier higher than the rest in Adventure, and a couple of tiers in Adventure:

Can't say the same about Seraphimon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adventure: Episode 40: with a few minor quibbles, this was probably Sora's best outing as a character in, gently caress, 22 years? Tri and extremely especially DA:LEK were unbelievably cruel to her character. The latter especially, this episode was almost the exact opposite of what they did with her in that dismal movie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Starting to sound like Adventure: might be making a clumsy but consistent recovering? I'm not going to catch up yet, God no, but consider me invested in finding out whether or not I might, depending on how it ends.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Starting to sound like Adventure: might be making a clumsy but consistent recovering? I'm not going to catch up yet, God no, but consider me invested in finding out whether or not I might, depending on how it ends.

Yeah, they suddenly realized the series should have characters and everyone's getting character focus episodes that are fun instead of bland like most of the show has been. This one wasn't as good as Mimi or Joe's, but that's mostly because those two are better in general and this was still a pretty good episode and definitely the best Sora-related thing since the original Adventure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this series is actually sort of getting good again as of late. I’m hoping this keeps up from here on and the stretch of episodes before was just a very long rough patch

And to be fair, Sora got screwed over a few times in the original Adventure as well (I think I heard somewhere that the writers didn’t like her very much or something) so this is a major step up for her

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 21, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

There is now some level of possibility that the final score for Adventure 20 will be "overall, actually pretty good but with a truly unfortunate middle section", which is a significant step up for the show from the late 20s/early 30s, but of course that still remains to be seen.

I'm hopeful, but I'm still not putting money on it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really seriously wondering if War Greymon only got introduced when he did due to contractual stuff with merch

Like how in Kamen Rider, X form *has* to debut at a certain episode to push toys

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

As much of an improvement as it's been that the kids have had some time to breathe and be people there still hasn't been any foundation built for anyone to get character arcs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Akett posted:

As much of an improvement as it's been that the kids have had some time to breathe and be people there still hasn't been any foundation built for anyone to get character arcs.

You need character traits to have character arcs and until now the only ones that had those were Mimi, Joe and Takeru. This is a step forward.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

I'm really seriously wondering if War Greymon only got introduced when he did due to contractual stuff with merch

Like how in Kamen Rider, X form *has* to debut at a certain episode to push toys

He came out around the time that they were pimping the cards, which heavily feature War Greymon if I remember right, so I would suspect that makes sense.

It may also explain the extremely lackluster and weird way that Blitz Greymon was introduced.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

KiwamiGreymon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

These things sadden me, sigh.

https://twitter.com/yamaki_nyx/status/1374393127193112591

He does want to do it! Let him do it, Toei! It'll go better than every time you've tried and failed to exploit Adventure again!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seriously, if you’re not going to give us something new then at least follow up on a series that hasn’t been done to death by now.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

It seems like a good idea until Konaka inevitably leaves the project over creative differences like Kakudou, and you just get Tri and Kizuna again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

womb with a view posted:

It seems like a good idea until Konaka inevitably leaves the project over creative differences like Kakudou, and you just get Tri and Kizuna again.

It's a different situation. Kakudou was never the writer of Kizuna, he was an advisor I believe, and ultimately left because no one would take his advice (the guy that hates adults being allowed to be happy definitely deserved more attention than the director of the original series, I'm sure). Here, Konaka is the one behind the project and would still keep his place, considering how he already wrote episode 1 (which was released as a drama CD). There'd be some executive meddling, sure, this is still a Toei anime, but I imagine it'd be a very different situation to Last Evolution: Kizuna.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If it’s gonna follow the plot of that drama CD, I don’t want it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
As neat as more Tamers would be, I'd rather he do another season of The Big O

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm of the opinion that if Konaka comes back to Digimon I want him to do an entirely new season. Tamers stands up extremely well as a complete work, to the point that coming back and doing a continuation on it might actually be for the worse in terms of quality and creativity. I would absolutely love another work by the guy, but half the reason I love his stuff is because of how he sorts and uses and builds his characters. In a sequel to Digimon Tamers a lot of that character work would already be done because the show finished and it finished well. I wouldn't mind a short (and preferably happy) epilogue, but I'll be pulling for something entirely new as opposed to something built on something old.

And I feel the same way for all of the shows he did, I think the stuff Konaka made is pretty complete including The Big O.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nodosaur posted:

If it’s gonna follow the plot of that drama CD, I don’t want it

I never got around sitting down and going through the whole CD, was it that bad?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

I never got around sitting down and going through the whole CD, was it that bad?

I don't think I would say that, but it is notably and explicitly incomplete. And I kind of do agree that I'm not super interested in the direction it goes with material. I don't say it can't or wouldn't have been good made into the 13 episode OVA that it was the pilot pitch for, and it does build from the setting mythology of the original show (though it is still a pretty wild sequel pitch), but like I said I'd rather see Konaka make something entirely new rather than a sequel.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

It's the choices he makes for certain characters. Having Takato coming from the past and being 10 while his future self is still missing somewhere, and Jian (who is one of the most empathetic and moral characters in the entire series) joining the NSA in his adulthood are all things I strongly disagree with

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

It's the choices he makes for certain characters. Having Takato coming from the past and being 10 while his future self is still missing somewhere, and Jian (who is one of the most empathetic and moral characters in the entire series) joining the NSA in his adulthood are all things I strongly disagree with

Okay so I had actually forgotten that that CD also existed and I was thinking about Message in the Packet.

But fair enough!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly Runaway Locomon makes for a more than good enough endpoint for Tamers

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's a totally fine movie and gives Ruki some additional character development!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Some Numbers posted:

It's a totally fine movie and gives Ruki some additional character development!

And Locomon is voiced in a Johnny Cash impression!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And miss out on One Vision? No thanks.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tamers songs might be the best in the franchise.

Except for Butterfly. I know you're all sick of Butterfly but it's the gold standard for a reason. :colbert:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Honestly I think Frontier is up there too. FIRE and With The Will are some of my favorite Wada Kouji songs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

And miss out on One Vision? No thanks.

Tanimoto Takayoshi is a blessing on this franchise. Tamers started his reign over Digimon songs, and Adventure: solidified it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

womb with a view posted:

Tamers songs might be the best in the franchise.

Except for Butterfly. I know you're all sick of Butterfly but it's the gold standard for a reason. :colbert:

Oh I agree. Evo is one of my favorite insert songs and Slash!! is great too.

Biggest Dreamer I rank a bit lower, but that's because Butterfly and Fire are so good.

Also With the Will owns.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1375533668479946756?s=20

These both actually look really good. Charizard Chardramon could probably even pass as a Perfect.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
charmon is on point but greydon still seems a bit...idk busy for gen 1 pokemon

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mandatory lesbian posted:

charmon is on point but greydon still seems a bit...idk busy for gen 1 pokemon

Not that much more than Marowak.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think it's the horn stripes that push it over the edge into slightly too busy for me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

These both actually look really good. Charizard Chardramon could probably even pass as a Perfect.

Or an adult, since the one on the right is just Coredramon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Not that much more than Marowak.

its hard for me to articulate, but even tho i agree with you, the fact that it is a liiiiittle bit more then marowak makes it look off

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Leraika posted:

I think it's the horn stripes that push it over the edge into slightly too busy for me.

i think this is what im trying to say, the stripes on its back are all he needs, the ones on its horns are superfluous in a way most gen 1 designs arent

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Someone I was talking to on Discord said it best: Pokémon aesthetic is actually very hard to reproduce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the stripes make it too busy for a Gen 1.

Charmon however nails it to an impressive degree.