Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Guy A. Person posted:

He can finally go back to having excuses for never writing, instead of pretending to write (but never actually writing)

His only real output these days is writing excuses for not writing, and i guess sportsball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aw, he's doing plenty! He's working on Elden Ring, consulting for the new HBO shows, promoting the Wild Cardzz, getting invited to pitch all sorts of TV shows and stuff. The only work he doesn't want to do is the work that got him all the attention in the first place.

It's like if Michael Jordan rose to prominence in his first few years, got the Nike deal and everything else, and then quit basketball before ever beating the Pistons and winning a championship, so he could focus on starring in Space Jam and golfing and trying to get more advertising deals.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

quote:

(news about the three new shows with Sea Snake being developed by Bruno Heller)

So, this strikes me as actually pretty goddamn cool, because a show that's all about exploring all the crazy disparate locations in the world of ASoIaF sounds like it could be a lot of fun if done properly with a decently talented person at the helm. And it sounds like they have that - so I guess we will see!

That said, I am less interested in the other two possible shows '10,000 Ships' and 'Flea Bottom'. A show about Nymeria and the Rhoynish could be cool, but to me it sounds like... epic battle scenes and improbably large amounts of ships doing improbably stupid poo poo could be a real possibility, and there isn't a very good track record for those things as far as GoT is concerned. I mean, I was always under the impression that that was more likely a legend and like many Dornish stories of military conquest, featured vastly inflated numbers. As for 'Flea Bottom', that sounds like it could bring out the worst in GoT in terms of featuring copious amounts of gratuitous sex, violence, and sexual violence - given what Flea Bottom's reputation is.

So, I suppose the best part of this story (to me) is the news that they're doing the Corlys Velaryon for sure, out of these three - because that's the only concept that strikes me as having real potential for greatness, rather than a setup for the worst qualities of the original series to resurface.

edit: Oops, I was very beaten :pwn:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 20, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jesus Christ HBO just reboot Rome you cowards.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

I swear fleabottom is gonna be a procedural cop show

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TERFherder posted:

I think we were very lucky that only the first season of GOT was a procedural cop show.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

probably better than whatever the gently caress the watch is

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TERFherder posted:

It’s gonna be Ripper Street but way worse.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bruno Heller is the guy behind Rome right? That’s the best hbo show I’ve ever seen so I’ll watch anything he does.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I was going to give him poo poo for also creating the Mentalist, but I guess the titular Mentalist is in fact a fraud? That does sound like a pretty funny show

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PittTheElder posted:

I was going to give him poo poo for also creating the Mentalist, but I guess the titular Mentalist is in fact a fraud? That does sound like a pretty funny show

So there are two TV shows about people who fake being psychic detectives because they're just so good at detectiving that nobody will believe it? TV is so weird.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

So there are two TV shows about people who fake being psychic detectives because they're just so good at detectiving that nobody will believe it? TV is so weird.

Yes, but only one of those shows was fun enough to point it out. I miss Psych sometimes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Psych was one of those shows where the bottomless reserves of "don't give a gently caress" actually became an infectious asset. A rare win for irony.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The “science” of experts analyzing facial expressions and micro body language is all fake bullshit right?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The “science” of experts analyzing facial expressions and micro body language is all fake bullshit right?

Yep, along with blood spatter analysis, eyewitness testimony, and like 1/3rd of other evidentiary "sciences" that the justice system relies upon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

By and large, I think yes. I remember seeing a few stories years and years ago debunking all those body language experts Bill O'Reilly would bring on his show to go through footage of people he was mad at to try and prove that they were insane or something which meant he was right and won whatever one-sided debate he was imagining he was having with them.

It was basically like Councilor Troi level poo poo of "Oh well, here you can see he's he seems like he might be angry about something", said over a picture of a person literally screaming in a red-faced rage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that poo poo is reading tea leaves

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yep, along with blood spatter analysis, eyewitness testimony, and like 1/3rd of other evidentiary "sciences" that the justice system relies upon.

I know about eyewitness testimony being worthless, but I'm not familiar with blood spatter analysis being pseudoscience. Got a good article or write-up on it?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I know about eyewitness testimony being worthless, but I'm not familiar with blood spatter analysis being pseudoscience. Got a good article or write-up on it?

https://features.propublica.org/blood-spatter-analysis/herbert-macdonell-forensic-evidence-judges-and-courts/

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

just remembered that the isla vista shooter was a big fan of the books and show

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

pseudanonymous posted:

Does iZombie count?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

PittTheElder posted:

It was a pretty fun show though it eventually overstays its welcome. The main character used to be a mentalist conman who now uses his conman powers to solve murders. He also now despises mentalists and openly says it's all a fraud.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Thanks!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Excuse me but I'll have you know that lie detectors are perfectly good and flawless and can't be defeated by things like just clenching your butt real tight and next you're going to suggest that drug dogs aren't reliable because their controlling office can make them 'detect' something at will so that they can have reason to search you, your car, or whatever else whenever they feel like it. :cop:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

trial by combat is the only correct way

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
expert testimony in court is one hundred percent grift

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is the book out yet?

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1375597306427420676?s=12

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wow a five year deal huh? So they should get a good 100-200 pages of material in that time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Wow a five year deal huh? So they should get a good 100-200 pages of material in that time.

The SomethingAwful 2021 "Optimist of the Year"

Guy A. Person

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Martin has some projects beyond HBO, as well. There's Wild Cards, based off a series of anthology novels written by Martin, and others, that's in the works at Peacock.

it always comes back to this

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What do they know that we don't?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

What do they know that we don't?

WILD CARDS

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We finally saw The Boys and Invincible adaptations, I suppose WILD CARDS really was a matter of time...

... good lord I'm a diehard superhero fan and even I think WILD CARDS sounds lame as gently caress, and this was before I knew he was an absolute fucker

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm hoping this is a setup for an elaborate April Fool's joke, but I know it isn't

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gurm continues to be an absolute fucker

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

gently caress grrm

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His greatest prank would be to actually release the book on April 1st. It'd probably be around April 6th before we all figured it out and started spoiling each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And how well did that work out for you the last time around, George? :thunk:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Made a bajillion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

And how well did that work out for you the last time around, George? :thunk:

He made a zillion dollars, retired from writing, and got a dozen contracts with everything from HBO and NBC to Japanese game studios.