Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
playing p5r for the first time on hard right now. just finished the first palace and yeah morgana just falls apart if anything beefy so much as looks at him(?) funny. Tbf this is only the first palace and I am bad, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
Thanks for the tips, I will see how it shakes out in later palaces.

I think part of the issue with Morgana is the cat armor has low defense, all my humans have cleaned armor from the palace and even the better armor you can buy for Morgana right now has much lower defense.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GCValentine posted:

Thanks for the tips, I will see how it shakes out in later palaces.

I think part of the issue with Morgana is the cat armor has low defense, all my humans have cleaned armor from the palace and even the better armor you can buy for Morgana right now has much lower defense.

In theory it has much higher evasion to make up for that, but honestly Morgana is kind of made of paper (intentionally so I’d say) so that your healer is something you have to keep alive in fights that early.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The great thing about Persona 5 (and Persona 4G to an even greater extent) is there is no penalty (so far as I know) for lowering or increasing the difficulty at any time.

The only exception is the easiest (story mode) setting, but the game warns you about it so you don’t enable it by accident.

Yes I used easy/merciless to cheese my way through one or two bosses and no I’m not ashamed of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Morgana's really fragile. That never really changes. I don't tend to use him much except for "it seems like it would be cool for story reasons to have Morgana in this fight" once the other healer joins.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The great thing about Persona 5 (and Persona 4G to an even greater extent) is there is no penalty (so far as I know) for lowering or increasing the difficulty at any time.

Correct, there's no penalty for adjusting the difficulty whenever you want to. I turned it up to Merciless because it makes the fifth Palace boss a ton easier, then right back down to Hard for the rest of the game.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The only exception is the easiest (story mode) setting, but the game warns you about it so you don’t enable it by accident.

Yes I used easy/merciless to cheese my way through one or two bosses and no I’m not ashamed of it.

Every once in a while I think of Palace 5 and shudder at the thought of doing it on hard.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Morgana's really fragile. That never really changes. I don't tend to use him much except for "it seems like it would be cool for story reasons to have Morgana in this fight" once the other healer joins.

Correct, there's no penalty for adjusting the difficulty whenever you want to. I turned it up to Merciless because it makes the fifth Palace boss a ton easier, then right back down to Hard for the rest of the game.

To his credit I think Morgana learns Mediarama first.

TheLoser posted:

Every once in a while I think of Palace 5 and shudder at the thought of doing it on hard.

I barely managed to use it with Shiva. Needing to kill the bots at the same time is so dumb.

I also died once because loving Ryuji Harisen Recovery'd my Hunger and I got burg'd.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Acerbatus posted:

I also died once because loving Ryuji Harisen Recovery'd my Hunger and I got burg'd.

Every. God. drat. Time.

Just let me eat the loving burger Ryuji.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

To his credit I think Morgana learns Mediarama first.

Yeah, he's definitely the stronger healer. He gets healing spells earlier than Makoto does, he learns Salvation and Samarecarm, and his Persona's inherent trait increases everyone's healing power. If you need a ton of healing, Morgana's your guy.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unrelated, the maid cafe scene with the twins is absolutely fantastic.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finished Strikers story, now into the post game. But some quick thoughts.

• Most enemies die quickly, but they're aggressive as gently caress. They'll shred you if you hesitate.
• (Almost) Every enemy has a weakness, including bosses and you'd think that would make the game too easy, but the new system where you have to deplete a gauge before knocking them down is really cool and I hope they integrate that into mainline games
• Music is great, as expected. You Are Stronger, Daredevil, Counterstrike, and the final boss theme are standouts for the original stuff, and the remixes kick rear end too.
• Story is mostly good, benefits a lot from seemingly not having a ton of rewrites.
• Having the whole crew from the start is great, and it lets a lot of characters shine.
• I'm actually really impressed with Joker's moveset, his normals are very basic but giving each Persona different charge attacks is outstanding variety. Some get free buffs and it's absurdly good (hello Alice)
• Enemy aggression ties in well with the general mechanics. Using your free moves could carry you through the whole game, but everything comes at you so fast that you need the instant, SP costing moves to save your rear end from getting beat.
Most bosses are refightable, but I find myself missing the ones that aren't. Kinda want to relive the Joker Mirror Match
• Sophie is really cute :3:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

There are two end bosses where Morgana is a go-to. The sphinx uses a lot of wind attacks but isn't wind resistant so Morgana good, Ryuji bad. And one of the spaceport waves is only weak to wind so you want both Morgana and Haru in that battle (and Makoto or Ryuji to complete the team).

On the other hand for exploring I tend to use Morgana spamming dia and media after fights rather than normal auto-recoveries. I'm not putting him in the battle line but healing sp are useful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On the other hand, Morgana deserves to never be in the group after you get Yusuke, so he isn't. He is a SP battery for out of combat healing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Theoretically Morgana is your go-to Critical Hit machine for downing once Ann gets her healing set up.

But Yusuke does that better and can also eat a punch, so.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is some value in using him against treasure demons to try and get a lucky crit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I used Morgana the whole way through vanilla P5 and don't regret a thing. Morgana is the best :3:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Morgana gets the earliest showtime and having him and Ann both out doubles the chance it activates because it does the rng logic rolls twice (one for each active party member).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

There is some value in using him against treasure demons to try and get a lucky crit.

Base P5 only. The treasure demons in Royal all have weaknesses. In Royal the first one's the hardest because even Joker doesn't have the right type of attack by L10.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I cooked a bunch of Korean BBQ meats last night, and it was raining, so decided to do my own version of the Rainy Day Special Mega Beef Bowl Challenge!

After a long attempt, I still couldn't see the rice

I began to suspect the bowl I created was a portal to the Meat Dimension

The amount of meat contained within the bowl was truly staggering.

In order to finish, I must have Understanding of my limits, Knowledge to control my pace, Courage to face the unrelenting tide of beef, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

I guess I need to level up to try again...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

neonchameleon posted:

Base P5 only. The treasure demons in Royal all have weaknesses. In Royal the first one's the hardest because even Joker doesn't have the right type of attack by L10.

They have weaknesses in base persona as well. It is just that if you want to deal with them without using a guide then it can be useful to have an attack with a high crit chance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Morgana is actually fine as a party member, his HP is scarily low, but otherwise he's pretty much Yosuke+. He plateaus the worst out of any party member by the end, but at that point you can really use whoever you want so if you like cat, button mash.

He's actually much improved in Strikers where he can take advantage of Technicals much better and his stronger healing repertoire is actually useful.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Morgana is actually fine as a party member, his HP is scarily low, but otherwise he's pretty much Yosuke+. He plateaus the worst out of any party member by the end, but at that point you can really use whoever you want so if you like cat, button mash.

He's actually much improved in Strikers where he can take advantage of Technicals much better and his stronger healing repertoire is actually useful.

In Persona 5 R at least, Morgana's Miracle Punch is an absolute beast. I used Morgana my entire playthrough almost exclusively for support / enemies weak against Wind.

But man, that high-critical rate with Miracle Punch could absolutely devastate even really powerful foes.

Also yes Morgana is weak but this didn't matter as I was constantly using him to cast Mediarama.

With all that said, I was playing on normal so I could see his low health being a huge liability on hard and merciless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's not that Morgana is a bad party member at all, he's just overshadowed a bit by Makoto, who does more damage, naturally learns a buff spell, and has an element that's a pretty common weakness in several Palaces after she joins. That said, Morgana is the stronger healer and Miracle Punch can be really helpful in situations where an enemy doesn't have a weakness and you don't want to/can't set up a technical.

In my P5R playthrough I used him until I got Makoto (obviously) and then again in the fifth Palace and in the vanilla final dungeon. He was really helpful as an all-around support when equipped with the Ring of Pride so he could use Charge on Joker while Joker was buffing the team with Thermopylae. Absolutely melted the vanilla final boss.

I like to switch the team around for fun anyway, though. I tend to decide on team composition based on who I think would be the most fun, with preference given to characters who feel like they should be in the party for story reasons. No matter what difficulty you're on, things are never quite hard enough that you'll cripple yourself if you don't have exactly the right team.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

It's not that Morgana is a bad party member at all, he's just overshadowed a bit by Makoto, who does more damage, naturally learns a buff spell, and has an element that's a pretty common weakness in several Palaces after she joins. That said, Morgana is the stronger healer and Miracle Punch can be really helpful in situations where an enemy doesn't have a weakness and you don't want to/can't set up a technical.

In my P5R playthrough I used him until I got Makoto (obviously) and then again in the fifth Palace and in the vanilla final dungeon. He was really helpful as an all-around support when equipped with the Ring of Pride so he could use Charge on Joker while Joker was buffing the team with Thermopylae. Absolutely melted the vanilla final boss.

I like to switch the team around for fun anyway, though. I tend to decide on team composition based on who I think would be the most fun, with preference given to characters who feel like they should be in the party for story reasons. No matter what difficulty you're on, things are never quite hard enough that you'll cripple yourself if you don't have exactly the right team.

I dunno about that for Okumura, even with psycho bombs. :v:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

And don't forget wind technicals with fire - but nuke technicals with fire, elec, and ice although fire is cheaper of course. Also Makoto has AoE physical attacks, which can be really useful and brings her much more into the game against enemies resistant to nuke. Recarm isn't that useful (if you need a recarm, which isn't often, Revivadrin are only 1800 Yen and Life Ointment 6400 Yen from the clinic before the discount - a bargain for saving a skill slot and allowing anyone to use them given how rarely you actually need them) and I rate Energy Shower over Me Patra. Which means Morgana's only real healing advantage is that he gets Salvation over an Atomic Flare equivalent.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I'm enjoying p5 a lot so far. But it really keeps you on a shorter leash than p4, at least to start. I'm in the second palace and it still feels like the game is constantly saying "hey guess what? Today we're doing this! Hope you didn't have any other plans!"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I cooked a bunch of Korean BBQ meats last night, and it was raining, so decided to do my own version of the Rainy Day Special Mega Beef Bowl Challenge!

After a long attempt, I still couldn't see the rice

I began to suspect the bowl I created was a portal to the Meat Dimension

The amount of meat contained within the bowl was truly staggering.

In order to finish, I must have Understanding of my limits, Knowledge to control my pace, Courage to face the unrelenting tide of beef, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

I guess I need to level up to try again...

Related question: what are all the red things on the beef bowl in Ryuji/Yusuke’s Showtime attack? That bowl looks hella tasty (as does most of the food in this game) but I couldn’t figure that out

Also post recipe for Korean BBQ plz

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm enjoying p5 a lot so far. But it really keeps you on a shorter leash than p4, at least to start. I'm in the second palace and it still feels like the game is constantly saying "hey guess what? Today we're doing this! Hope you didn't have any other plans!"

Are you playing the original version or Royal? I found that the original version amplified that feeling because of how often Morgana made you go to bed something that was considerably lessened in Royal.

Generally I think P5's structure has a few clusters of "today we're doing predefined things" around the beginning and end of each Palace arc but is mostly free in between. One difference I've found between P5 and P4 there is that in P4, while you did have to spend time doing investigation at the start of each dungeon's arc, you could more often do those investigation activities on whichever day you chose, and it sometimes wouldn't take up time. P5 instead sometimes forces you to take multiple days on a Palace (like when you get partway in and reach a barrier) which is similar in that you now have an activity to do on a different day, but the beginning of the infiltration is usually pretty tightly scripted, if that makes sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DC Murderverse posted:

Related question: what are all the red things on the beef bowl in Ryuji/Yusuke’s Showtime attack? That bowl looks hella tasty (as does most of the food in this game) but I couldn’t figure that out

Pretty sure it's ginger.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it's pickled ginger (which is delicious)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I wish I could tell you I did something fancy but I just bought a lot of pre-marinated and cut meat at Hmart and tossed it on a Weber grill.

If you have an Hmart near you, the meat comes in big containers. Great if you want to replicate the Mega Beef Bowl Challenge - just be sure to serve with rice!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Arist posted:

Pretty sure it's ginger.

Harrow posted:

Yeah it's pickled ginger (which is delicious)

Ah that makes sense. It kinda looked like it might be crunchy and spicy but I couldn’t think of what that might actually be

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

DC Murderverse posted:

Ah that makes sense. It kinda looked like it might be crunchy and spicy but I couldn’t think of what that might actually be

The kind used specifically in curry (and also beef bowls) is called fukujinzuke - it is indeed crunchy, but all the times I've had it, it was notably milder than sushi ginger (unless it's particularly weak), and a bit sweeter. (Granted, you can put it on anything.)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Harrow posted:

Are you playing the original version or Royal? I found that the original version amplified that feeling because of how often Morgana made you go to bed something that was considerably lessened in Royal.

Generally I think P5's structure has a few clusters of "today we're doing predefined things" around the beginning and end of each Palace arc but is mostly free in between. One difference I've found between P5 and P4 there is that in P4, while you did have to spend time doing investigation at the start of each dungeon's arc, you could more often do those investigation activities on whichever day you chose, and it sometimes wouldn't take up time. P5 instead sometimes forces you to take multiple days on a Palace (like when you get partway in and reach a barrier) which is similar in that you now have an activity to do on a different day, but the beginning of the infiltration is usually pretty tightly scripted, if that makes sense.

royal, lol - can't imagine how much the cat must tell you what to do in vanilla

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Japanese curry is generally sweeter, both due to the ginger as well as incorporating things like apple. Which is fine for me, I prefer sweet to spicy.

neonchameleon posted:

And don't forget wind technicals with fire - but nuke technicals with fire, elec, and ice although fire is cheaper of course. Also Makoto has AoE physical attacks, which can be really useful and brings her much more into the game against enemies resistant to nuke. Recarm isn't that useful (if you need a recarm, which isn't often, Revivadrin are only 1800 Yen and Life Ointment 6400 Yen from the clinic before the discount - a bargain for saving a skill slot and allowing anyone to use them given how rarely you actually need them) and I rate Energy Shower over Me Patra. Which means Morgana's only real healing advantage is that he gets Salvation over an Atomic Flare equivalent.

Strikers, again, fixes this issue; Makoto still gets Atomic Flare, but Morgana gets a passive that increases the potency of Technicals. In addition, Garudyne is very cheap compared to Atomic Flare and Burn lasts a very long time in Strikers, so Morgana can quickly rack up a lot of damage as long as he has SP to burn by spamming Garudyne. I actually end up using Makoto the least of any party member in Strikers because she really suffers from SP issues and doesn't have the damage to pay off (Morgana's better against Burn, Ryuji/Yusuke are better against Shock/Freeze).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Is Joker’s “official” name being Ren a reference to Footloose, or is it a coincidence that both are mysterious young men going to a new school and shaking things up by telling adults to eat poo poo?

What I’m asking is does he do gymnastics to music in an abandoned steel mill in the dancing spin-off?

Also I keep seeing pictures of this new detailed statuette of Makoto up for pre-order and honestly I think it’s a little too horny. Makes the bottom half of her biker gear look painted on, which seems like it would not be safe to ride Johanna in

https://twitter.com/persona_central/status/1365142625377021953?s=21

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea that figurine is a bit much given that Makoto's character wasn't very comfortable with her biker costume as it was.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe that's a bad angle but that's a hank hill rear end if I ever saw one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tired Moritz posted:

Maybe that's a bad angle but that's a hank hill rear end if I ever saw one.

I'm sorry Ms. Nijima but, you have no rear end.
BWAAAAAAAAH!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Makoto knows a thing or two about asses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1voewuNKng