Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

sb hermit posted:

firestarter kits

I think it was this thread that recommended to me packing dryer lint in an empty toilet paper tube. That's something I make every week and I've been using that trick for a year. So belated thanks, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pumped up for school posted:

I think it was this thread that recommended to me packing dryer lint in an empty toilet paper tube. That's something I make every week and I've been using that trick for a year. So belated thanks, thread!

I've used an old medication bottle with cotton balls covered in vasoline before. Those things burn for a while.

So this is an off topic question but somewhat related since I might use it in the future on day hikes.

I have a marksmanship shoot the Saturday and Sunday. It's all day (8:30am to 5:00pm, ugh) so we need to bring our own lunch since it's out in the boonies. I've done it two times before, first I brought a Subway sub and it got soggy and gross (more gross than Subway is traditionally) and the last time I think I brought a homemade sandwich and apple where I ran into the same issue but not as bad.

What sort of quick meals do you guys bring on all day day hikes? I don't want to eat beef jerky and trail mix. I'd like to have a meal. I mean, I could bring an MRE or boil some water for a Mountain House meal but I don't want to look like a dork. Someone did that before and it took him all of our 20ish minute break to cook it... and he looked like a dork. I don't know if I have the self esteem to pull that off.

Any suggestions on what you guys do for a larger meal on an all day hike?

edit: hmmm, considering the MRE so I just don't have to deal with anything and I'll get a decent amount of calories for being out in 40F raining weather all day.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Not necessarily hiking related, but when I worked in a hoagie shop, we used to wrap sandwiches for later eating by request. Place a piece of of wax paper or parchment between the bread and the meats as a sogginess barrier and make it as normal. When you open it up later to eat it, just slide the paper out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The god of sandwiches, the BLT. Keep the bread separate from the rest of the stuff and assemble it right before you eat it. Fast, easy, not soggy, and satisfying. I also bought this self heating curry rice to take on my next long hike but haven't tried it before so I'll hold off on review. It's ~1400 calories. Theres lots of non-MRE self heating things out there.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Big-rear end jar of peanut butter and some crackers. Get those calories and my salt fix.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FogHelmut posted:

Not necessarily hiking related, but when I worked in a hoagie shop, we used to wrap sandwiches for later eating by request. Place a piece of of wax paper or parchment between the bread and the meats as a sogginess barrier and make it as normal. When you open it up later to eat it, just slide the paper out.

Oh drat that's a good idea. Never even thought of that.

PokeJoe posted:

Theres lots of non-MRE self heating things out there.

I had no idea this was a thing. I'd love that. Do you have any easy to acquire suggestions?

edit: looks like these Omeals aren't too bad according to ratings. Only about 220 calories though.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 26, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's a big pile of them at H-mart and I just grab what looks good :shrug:. Sometimes I see non-asian foods at various outdoor stores too and amazon has somewhat of a selection if the MRE options seem unpalatable. I specifically got this curry rice because it's high calorie, if you eat a whole 2.5 serving beef stroganoff mountain house it's still like 1/3rd the calories of this curry rice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Individual running off into the woods to shoot targets is worried about looking like a dork? :v: Cooking up a hot and tasty meal will be the envy of everyone in smelling range.

I know you've already said it's not an option, but I'd just do jerkey and granola for a day trip like that. Maybe a cliff bar if I really need a fuel up. Or a chunk of cheese and some dry salami with crackers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I usually eat a very soggy pb&j, but that's not very helpful is it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Or a chunk of cheese and some dry salami with crackers.

Change out the crackers for tortillas and grab some mustard packets at the 7-11 on your way out of town.

If you bring the whole bag of tortillas and a jar of peanut butter too, you've got a couple meal options and a HELL of a lot of calories in a reasonably non-perishable format.

Edit: I realized I post about the gospel of peanut butter tortillas pretty often in here but goddamn, for the price of a single Mountain House you're set up for like 3 days or however long it takes you to get sick of eating the same thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, tortillas and wheat pitas are my go-to on longer trips. Tortillas because they're good with EVERYTHING and pitas for variety, they taste like wheat bread but you can get them in smaller count packages so there's less waste. They can take crushing a bit better too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Yeah, tortillas and wheat pitas are my go-to on longer trips. Tortillas because they're good with EVERYTHING and pitas for variety, they taste like wheat bread but you can get them in smaller count packages so there's less waste. They can take crushing a bit better too.

I think I've seen tortillas get moldy once, otherwise I just eventually notice that they've gone either stale or kind of gummy, but the loving things last forever. Pita on the other hand always seems to get moldy fast, and doubly so if I bought it from Trader Joes--I swear all their bread products grow mold twice as fast as anything else, even home-baked bread.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

xzzy posted:

Individual running off into the woods to shoot targets is worried about looking like a dork? :v: Cooking up a hot and tasty meal will be the envy of everyone in smelling range.

I know you've already said it's not an option, but I'd just do jerkey and granola for a day trip like that. Maybe a cliff bar if I really need a fuel up. Or a chunk of cheese and some dry salami with crackers.

:argh: yeah that's true :smith:

I have a bunch of Mountain House meals I bought a few years ago so those are always an option. I eat cheese and salami on crackers anyway at home so hell, I love that stuff anyway.

I'd really prefer a hot meal since it's going to be really cold and raining all day and I'll be out there for 8 hours. I don't even know what I'll wear. I have a Marmot Precip rain jacket that's works pretty well and I have some Frogg Togg raincoat/pants so I could use the pants from that. It's going to be muddy. It really was the first time I went. I have my hiking boots that I really like. I went hiking a few days ago in the rain and got one of my boots halfway deep into muddy water and they stayed dry. I'll probably wear a bunch of layers of course.

edit: Ugh, this is the area we're going to be shooting at. We lay on a mat though.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 26, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Do people really breakdown their tents at the beginning of the day after waking up so it doesn't get hot inside and rebuild it once it's nearing sundown?

Let's see how my new neoair xlite handles the Florida Everglades this weekend. Will i be sound asleep on it or jumping into the gator invested lake next to me trying to cool off, tune in!

I do it every time 1. because I’m paranoid about theft and 2. UV can really gently caress up your tent, especially in like the high desert summer

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Tuna, olives, hot peppers, and hot sauce w tortillas is my usual lunch while hiking. Bring a banana too and you’re good to go, imo. Trader Joe’s sells tuna/olives/peppers in little foil packs if you don’t want to assemble at home.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I SOOOOO want a Trader Joes here. The closest one is maybe 40 minutes away from me in Milwaukee.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Ploughman's lunch? Half a loaf of good bread and a big chunk of cheese, with some butter and maybe mustard or chutney for spreading, will keep you going in any kind of weather. If you really want a hot lunch I'm told the zojirushi or similar bento jars do a good job keeping stuff warm.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I do it every time 1. because I’m paranoid about theft and 2. UV can really gently caress up your tent, especially in like the high desert summer

This is also what I believe as well, and I'm pretty sure that my tent manual says as much.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmmm... when I go car camping I leave my tent out for 2-2.5 days. Never even considered UV damage.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Most of my campsites are shaded but I have noticed the sun fading my rainfly over the years. I'm sure eventually it will gently caress it up but I rolled a beetle inside it once and it chewed a hole though it so I think it will die via my stupidity before the sun eats it.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

BaseballPCHiker posted:

OK for the hammock how much do you weigh? That will go a large way in determining if you want a double or single layer. Another consideration is that 2 layer hammocks let you use a sleeping pad like a foam Zlite much more easier as you're getting started out and dont want to buy an underquilt right off the bat.

Suspensions are largely a personal preference. For people new to hammocks I usually recommend cinch buckles. They're dead simple to use and adjust and they dont weigh that much more. Down the line you can swap out suspensions if you want to try something new. Myerstech on eBay, Autumn Ultralight, Dutchware, etc all sell different suspension components.

What will you be using for an underquilt?

Thanks for the help! I won't stress about suspension and will just grab something from Warbonnet when I check out. I weigh 120 lbs. I (naively) thought i wouldn't need an underquilt until the fall, so I haven't got anything lined up for that yet. I might try getting a pad... is there a magical pad I can use for both hammock and tent camping, or could I just use anything?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've had the tent I use for camping for like 10 years now and I've never taken it down mid trip. This is actually the first time I've ever even heard of that practice. But it's also pretty well tree covered where I'd have it, so maybe it's a regional practice.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Thanks for the help! I won't stress about suspension and will just grab something from Warbonnet when I check out. I weigh 120 lbs. I (naively) thought i wouldn't need an underquilt until the fall, so I haven't got anything lined up for that yet. I might try getting a pad... is there a magical pad I can use for both hammock and tent camping, or could I just use anything?

Yeah anything from Warbonnet will be quality and last you a long time. I have an XLC and my wife has a Blackbird, both are awesome.

You definitely need an underquilt unless you'll be camping with lows about 60F or so. In the meantime getting started you can buy a Thermarest Zlite pad for like $30 and use that. Arrowhead Equipment also sells cheap, good, apex underquilts that ship quickly. Otherwise most places have a pretty significant lead time right now.

Also I've had 10 year old REI quarterdome tents that I kept up all the time in the summer in Alaska. They've totally been fine, though my 2007 Quarterdome is starting to delaminate now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've used an old medication bottle with cotton balls covered in vasoline before. Those things burn for a while.

This is what I use, packed into an old film canister. Cotton balls half-dipped in some melted vaseline. For anyone trying this themselves, the important part here is to NOT saturate the entire cotton ball with vaseline. That is not a typo. You want some un-saturated cotton to catch fire when you strike your sparks or embers onto it, which will then heat up the vaseline and turn into a wick for liquefied vaseline. Just like a candle.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Spanish Inquisition posted:

The default Warbonnet buckle and webbing suspension is easily the best one I’ve ever used. Dead simple and light, loop it around the tree (I use a climbing carabiner to quickly clip it instead of threading through the loop), and tug on the strap to tighten or loosen until it’s comfortable. Whoopies and stuff is just way too fiddly, but if you enjoy knots there’s options. Tarp suspension is a separate ball game.

You absolutely have the right idea of buy once, cry once. If you enjoy getting outside, it’s worth it to buy as good of gear as you’re comfortable getting, especially for your big stuff. I love my Blackbird XLC 2 layer, and have gotten years of use out of it and expect years more. Same with my Zpacks bag, I’ve got the Arc Haul and the reinforced dyneema has held up very well. I typically do at least one overnight trip a month throughout the year... in fact I’m laying in my hammock out in the woods right now :sun:

Hammock Gear makes excellent quilts and the people who work there are super nice and will show you around the facility if you’re ever in the area to pick up an order. Top quilt is a good buy from there, but for your bottom insulation (which you will need) you’ve got a few options. If you go with an underquilt, I’d just suck it up and buy the one made for the Blackbird from Warbonnet. The foot shelf is a bit wiggy and can push other quilts (3/4+) off to the side over the course of the night, and the warbonnet underquilt has a different cut that works better.

You can also try an open cell foam pad. Cheap, comfy enough, lightweight, indestructible, and works. Won’t be as comfy, but will get you outside, and can offer insulation on the ground or a hammock.

An inflatable sleeping pad might work as well, just get an insulated one and half inflate it to better fit to fit.

Being outside and hanging out by the campfire is my therapy, this is easily the best hobby I’ve ever picked up and it only gets better over time :)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FWIW I've spent several comfortable nights in my Clark hammock just using a sleeping bag in low 40s overnights on Hood in the spring. A nice underquilt on my "buy soon" list so if you have the means, you should get one, but have had many amazing nights out without one.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
My go-to first day/single-day lunch is a generous slice of cold pizza from the night before. From the fridge, wrap it in foil and put it in your pack. On a warm day, it is pleasantly warm by lunchtime. On a cold day, it’s just delicious cold pizza. I suppose you could heat it in the foil over whatever heat source you have if you want a warm meal. :discourse:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like the approach of thinking like a shepherd or anyone else who needed to be out and about for a couple of days.

So that means bread, firm cheese and dry cured sausage like a salami or chorizo, stuff that keeps for a while unrefrigerated and is calorically dense. Bring a thermos full of coffee for the warmth.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 27, 2021

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

highme posted:

FWIW I've spent several comfortable nights in my Clark hammock just using a sleeping bag in low 40s overnights on Hood in the spring. A nice underquilt on my "buy soon" list so if you have the means, you should get one, but have had many amazing nights out without one.

I think that's highly dependent on the individual. Personally I would not want to be in my hammock sans underblanket if it's < 60F even in a sleeping bag.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
60°F isn't even remotely cold though? I could sleep in long pants and a light coat at 60°F.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

For outdoor meal fixes, I've been sold on pitta/flatbread filled with a generous dose of cheese and cured meat like ham. Stick it in the oven for a bit to melt all the cheese and once it's mostly cooled you have a sandwich that happily tolerate a lot of abuse in a pack without falling apart or getting soggy. I sometimes do a version with taleggio, pesto and tomato (make absolutely sure to slice the tomato and empty out the seeds/watery insides or you'll be eating mush though). If you want to be fancy you can make the flatbread yourself - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/12829301/recipe/turkish-flatbread is a really nice recipe. Doesn't take much time to make but does require some planning ahead with letting it rise a bit. Or just buy pitta.

Bread with cheese/dried meats is a good choice as well but requires a bit more complication when eating (you need a surface to cut stuff up on, a knife, etc.) If it's really cold and you've got gloves on that can be a PITA. Another solid option is a couscous salad in a tupperware or if you want hot food getting some kind of big food thermos and have a risotto or similar. My personal preference would be the flatbread sandwich and a thermos with some packet soup for warmth if it's cold. Easy to assemble and easy to consume.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MrNemo posted:

For outdoor meal fixes, I've been sold on pitta/flatbread filled with a generous dose of cheese and cured meat like ham. Stick it in the oven for a bit to melt all the cheese and once it's mostly cooled you have a sandwich that happily tolerate a lot of abuse in a pack without falling apart or getting soggy. I sometimes do a version with taleggio, pesto and tomato (make absolutely sure to slice the tomato and empty out the seeds/watery insides or you'll be eating mush though). If you want to be fancy you can make the flatbread yourself - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/12829301/recipe/turkish-flatbread is a really nice recipe. Doesn't take much time to make but does require some planning ahead with letting it rise a bit. Or just buy pitta.

Bread with cheese/dried meats is a good choice as well but requires a bit more complication when eating (you need a surface to cut stuff up on, a knife, etc.) If it's really cold and you've got gloves on that can be a PITA. Another solid option is a couscous salad in a tupperware or if you want hot food getting some kind of big food thermos and have a risotto or similar. My personal preference would be the flatbread sandwich and a thermos with some packet soup for warmth if it's cold. Easy to assemble and easy to consume.

I'm a fan of either PB&J for it's high caloric density, or some sort of shelf-stable meat + cheese + tortilla. Pepperoni or summer sausage are generally good picks for the former.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

armorer posted:

60°F isn't even remotely cold though? I could sleep in long pants and a light coat at 60°F.

60 is delightful, but in a hammock you’ve got a heatsink pressed up right against you, with the air sucking away your internal body heat. Sitting in it for a bit is nice, but over a longer period of time it’ll drag down your core body temp. Same as if you were on the bare ground without any insulation. Everybody has different tolerances and preferences, which is what makes sleeping bag ratings so difficult, but at 60 you’ll want something underneath you for insulation.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So, I have the Big Agnes mtnglo lights in my basket, but I need to buy more stuff to get free shipping from REI.

I already have a titanium spork, nemo fillo pillow, aeropress. What’s your best random quality of life, or general camping improvement that would otherwise go under the radar? It can be for backpacking or camping.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

So, I have the Big Agnes mtnglo lights in my basket, but I need to buy more stuff to get free shipping from REI.

I already have a titanium spork, nemo fillo pillow, aeropress. What’s your best random quality of life, or general camping improvement that would otherwise go under the radar? It can be for backpacking or camping.

Foam sit pad, carabiners, UL stuff sack, black diamond headlamp, inflatable lantern, wide brim hat, wool neck buff, titanium cup, plastic flask, packable flip flops

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

UL stuff sack
I bought a 3 pack of traffic signal (green yellow red) stuff sacks from REI that I have probably gotten more use and appreciation out of than stuff I've spent 10x as much on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Woot has the Marmot PreCip rain jacket on sale for $36
https://sport.woot.com/offers/marmot-mens-precip-waterprf-rain-jacket

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Woot has the Marmot PreCip rain jacket on sale for $36
https://sport.woot.com/offers/marmot-mens-precip-waterprf-rain-jacket

Oh sweet thanks! I was just thinking about getting a precip full price last week.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 28, 2021

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Foam sit pad, carabiners, UL stuff sack, black diamond headlamp, inflatable lantern, wide brim hat, wool neck buff, titanium cup, plastic flask, packable flip flops

Hmm…Realizing I need better camp shoes — specifically something that’s packable and works with wool socks. Why are Crocs $40??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Just the other day I got a Nemo Fillo pillow and I already can tell that i waited way too long to get it. A little heavy, and a little bulky, but man it’s worth it.

Guess I’ll just lose half a pound of fat to even things out.