Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Raenir Salazar posted:

Looks like they're making resting/preparing spells for another round with Xykon when Team Evil exits?

Nah. We saw Redcloak preparing cleric spells a while back. There's no hand glowiness involved. That's definitely a spell being cast, with a long cast time. Like Sending and its 10 minute cast time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
This also reads to me like Rich apologizing for things in the earlier books that he now finds problematic (mostly around gender issues), and/or the general weakness of the earlier stripS.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Nah. We saw Redcloak preparing cleric spells a while back. There's no hand glowiness involved. That's definitely a spell being cast, with a long cast time. Like Sending and its 10 minute cast time.

He could be calling his mother.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Durkon is praying for Rich to be okay and to stay that way.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Boy, I really hope we don't wind up in some sort of situation where the amnesia potion reverses all of this character growth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oobey posted:

Boy, I really hope we don't wind up in some sort of situation where the amnesia potion reverses all of this character growth.
You know, the amnesia potions hitting them, and the character growth (and their trust in each other) somehow actually surviving that would be a pretty good way for Serini to end up convinced that this band of dipshits might actually be kind of special.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PMush Perfect posted:

You know, the amnesia potions hitting them, and the character growth (and their trust in each other) somehow actually surviving that would be a pretty good way for Serini to end up convinced that this band of dipshits might actually be kind of special.

I had the same thought.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The fight between Serini and the Order is going to be exactly like the second fight between the Order and Miko, isn't it? (as in, it gets completely redacted and the story cuts to the Order in chains)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My guess is that the amnesia potion is the way that Belkar draws his last breath. He doesn't die, he just ceases to be Belkar.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They'd already been hit by the amnesia potion and this is their second time through.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Random Stranger posted:

Oh poo poo. Emotional resolution. Somebody is about to die.

Yes. Probably Belkar.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, where are y'all getting the idea that this potion will wipe their memories completely blank?

She already said, to the Paladins, that it'll make them forget the last week or two, and they'll go back and report everything is fine and good with Kraagor's Gate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that it's really nice that the team has had so much growth as a team and individually, although it's interesting that Roy has kinda grown more emotionally distant even as he learned more of how to respect the rest and use them to their best potential.

Vaarsuvius went from being too good for adventuring to humbly serving in any way possible. Elan went from being a dumb annoying kid to being the most self-aware of the entire party to the point of being a savant. Belkar started genuinely caring about things, and he's on the precipice of even greater change. Haley opened up and solved basically all of her plot threads.

We know that the order of the scribble hated eachother's guts by the end, but we don't really know much of how, and Team Evil has a pretty stable working relationship regardless of whatever resentment. There's even a whole mutual dependency going on.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that it's really nice that the team has had so much growth as a team and individually, although it's interesting that Roy has kinda grown more emotionally distant even as he learned more of how to respect the rest and use them to their best potential.

This is the inevitable fate of every Leader, and along on top of Roy's anguish over Durkula, I fully expect Roy to have to make some extremely difficult decisions about the party, and possibly being forced into dropping his distance-persona, prior to the comic's end.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Team Evil however has a large stable of secrets and plots interwoven over top of each other with "break glass in case of wrong turn" written on them that will all go off and catastrophically fail and destroy themselves and that is the only endgame that works.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Belkar ascends and becomes a Sexy Shoeless God of War. His unique quiddity saves the day.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sure, the Dark One had to do a whole drenched in blood song and dance. But the Elven gods didn't rise in blood, so it doesn't need to be done that way. (Though Belkar has by himself killed thousands of sapient beings and is pretty drenched in blood.)

Elves have racial gods. Goblinoids have a racial god. Even dwarfs have a racial god despite being all-in on the Northern Pantheon. If there are enough race specific gods in the universe, eventually it fills in space with the idea that all people should have their own racial god and leaves a Halfling God shaped hole in the world.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sure, the Dark One had to do a whole drenched in blood song and dance. But the Elven gods didn't rise in blood, so it doesn't need to be done that way. (Though Belkar has by himself killed thousands of sapient beings and is pretty drenched in blood.)

Elves have racial gods. Goblinoids have a racial god. Even dwarfs have a racial god despite being all-in on the Northern Pantheon. If there are enough race specific gods in the universe, eventually it fills in space with the idea that all people should have their own racial god and leaves a Halfling God shaped hole in the world.

Would you say that they’ve been... short-changed?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Belkar apologized, you all saw it, he's going to heaven now. Probably soon?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, where are y'all getting the idea that this potion will wipe their memories completely blank?

She already said, to the Paladins, that it'll make them forget the last week or two, and they'll go back and report everything is fine and good with Kraagor's Gate.

Tbf the doses for a human vs a hobbit are probably pretty different but yeah very clearly all the character growth isnt gonna be erased

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have to wonder what the limits of the potion are - it sounds like it can implant false memories rather than just wiping back? Otherwise they'd go back to observing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MikeJF posted:

I have to wonder what the limits of the potion are - it sounds like it can implant false memories rather than just wiping back? Otherwise they'd go back to observing.

Maybe it's like the Memory charm from the Oracle Valley. It just erases certain details and then your mind backfills it all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd have to be pretty heavy to get the order to just up and leave this situation they've been building to for a year.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What do you mean dwarves have a racial god? Thor's not specifically dwarven. And I imagine that even if a dwarf became a follower of another pantheon, the deal would be the same. Maybe they'd have to be extra careful because their new god wouldn't be as used to arguing with Hel for their soul.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Dvalin is a god who was the first king of the dwarves, his vote was the linchpin of the whole Nokrud plan. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1016.html

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

Honestly, the way the story cut from "This is a potion that erases memories," to, "Gee we sure have built a lot of memories together huh."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mystic Mongol posted:

Honestly, the way the story cut from "This is a potion that erases memories," to, "Gee we sure have built a lot of memories together huh."

Plausible, but also would Serini have left them still sitting there ready to jump Xykon?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

Plausible, but also would Serini have left them still sitting there ready to jump Xykon?

They're not going anywhere.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah but a good chunk of their growth has taken place over the last week or so.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Who What Now posted:

How long did it take them to travel from the Dwarven lands to the North Pole?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Who What Now posted:

Growth happens whether you remember certain things or not.

Belkar wouldn't revert back to Mr. Stabbinton if you erased the last few months of memories.

Might slip a bit, but the growth would still be there.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

sirtommygunn posted:

Dvalin is a god who was the first king of the dwarves, his vote was the linchpin of the whole Nokrud plan. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1016.html
I wasn't expecting a two and half hour binge when I was already planning to visit a friend, but I guess that happened thanks to this link.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bell_ posted:

I wasn't expecting a two and half hour binge when I was already planning to visit a friend, but I guess that happened thanks to this link.

Honestly, I've come to accept that is always what's going to happen when I click an old Order of the Stick link.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, I've come to accept that is always what's going to happen when I click an old Order of the Stick link.

:same:

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

ZearothK posted:

I noticed that when Belkar looked at the tracks at that ledge, there were proper halfling feet and ridiculous little wizard slippers. Serini has an accomplice who has yet to reveal themself. Based on the orange speech bubble when she was abducting Lien and Ochull, I can conclude it was either the Oracle (working for Tiamat) or another Kobold.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

covidstomper58 posted:

I noticed that when Belkar looked at the tracks at that ledge, there were proper halfling feet and ridiculous little wizard slippers. Serini has an accomplice who has yet to reveal themself. Based on the orange speech bubble when she was abducting Lien and Ochull, I can conclude it was either the Oracle (working for Tiamat) or another Kobold.

I figured the "ridiculous wizard slippers" were Vaarsuvius's and that Belkar was describing their own footprints alongside the paladins' armored boot prints.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If it's a kobold and Belkar doesn't murder it for fun, that'll be a major revelation.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
I forget; are kobolds Belkar's favored enemy, or have they just been a random running gag? I remember someone having Favored Enemy come up, but nothing else about it right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I forget; are kobolds Belkar's favored enemy, or have they just been a random running gag? I remember someone having Favored Enemy come up, but nothing else about it right now.

You get multiple favored enemies as you level up in Ranger. Belkar has at least three. One of them is definitely undead, dunno about the others. Humanoid (Human) is a likely bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wasn't he excited to use favoured enemy against the giants? Or rather the giant vampire? So that's probably one of them.

Edit: Oh wait no maybe you're right and it was the undead bit.