Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The australian national film archive did star wars night showing the original trilogy and they look incredible in the big screen. Deserts, swamps and space look gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

Rewatch Empire; the whole movie is drat beautiful. Basically its Half of Rogue One > Empire > TLJ > Other half of Rogue One in cinematography and camera work.

Oh yeah, Empire is super pretty. There's just something about TLJ's look that really tingles my brain the most out of all the Star Wars poo poo though. I honestly don't know how to explain it, lol. I just really love its overall aesthetic.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I hated TLJ because Luke says "what'd you expect? Me to pick up a laser sword and fight the empire all on my own?" And at the time I was like yes, exactly that. That is what I want in my Star Wars.

Then we got that in The Mandolorian and it was full on stupid.

So now I don't know what I want and I'm confused.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly posted:

Most of the stuff that was added was seriously just the characters bickering with each other

That's how the quips get in!

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, Empire is super pretty. There's just something about TLJ's look that really tingles my brain the most out of all the Star Wars poo poo though. I honestly don't know how to explain it, lol. I just really love its overall aesthetic.

Yedlin is an extremely good cinematographer.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
TLJ would have been fantastic had there been a second draft. It's such a loving ridiculous mess, it looks like Rian Johnson got done writing the script, wrote THE END, and then said, "Let's hurry up and film this immediately, no changes and absolutely no one think about any of this!"

Whenever I see it or another epic disaster in its vein (theatrical cut of BvS comes to mind) I think about how many dozens of high-powered people saw it and nodded along. TLJ feels like a George Lucas movie in that it feels like no one could or did question anything at all, even when it didn't make sense or broke basic rules of storytelling or etc.

To make this ZSJL-compliant, holy loving poo poo what a movie. I watched it again for the second time last night and man... it really holds up. It's beyond hilarious that WB had this bad-rear end thing already finished and in their pocket and self-sabotaged it into a complete loving travesty due to their cowardice and stupidity.

A few comments on the show spoilered for those who haven't enjoyed the film yet:

Man Ben Affleck is the GOAT Bat in this movie, I just love him. Look at the difference between this Bruce and the defeated, dead-eyed Bat from that ridiculous rooftop scene that opens that, uh, other movie.

They are loving up beyond imagination by not moving forward with more Henry Cavill Superman. Like, beyond imagination, this motherfucker is the Superman. Really, for that matter, they are loving up beyond imagination by not crawling back to ZS and begging him to take over every step and every aspect of their DC properties because he's made it pretty clear he loves them more than any other human being on Earth.

The Flash went from being a super-annoying joke character to my favorite in the movie. I don't know anything about the Flash movie but I'm loving stoked to see more of him, but I'd like to see him with his friends again.

Ray Fisher. Holy poo poo, what a revelation. I personally liked his performance the best out of everyone in the movie, what a complete loving tour de force everything about him was. I especially love at the climax, he says, "I'm not broken... and I'm not alone!" The very next thing he does is call out for Superman. Does he even actually know Superman is there at that point? I'm not sure if he's seeing our world at all or if he's inside the Mother Box when he calls, but I like to interpret the scene as that he doesn't know Kal is there, says he's not alone, calls out for the Superman... and the Superman answers. No, you're not alone, Vic. You've got friends now. SUPER friends, in fact. :getin:

Steppenwolf went from being a lame mini-boss to a compelling villain IMO. I loved the yin-yang of merciless destroyer/craven bootlicker, and ZS just shoots action better than absolutely anyone not named George Miller. His initial attack on the Amazons does a lot to make him scary, when he jumps in and just hurls that Amazon and her horse through the air like it's nothing is just chef's kiss awesome.

gently caress the haters who say Darkseid et. al. look "generic" or "video game bosses" or whatever the gently caress. They're great. That scene of Darkseid looking out of the boom tube at the Justice League with Superman sternly staring back like, "Come on through, 'god,' let's see what you've got," is just great.

The Flash's run backward in time is the coolest thing that's even been put to film. Everything about it, the score, the dialogue, just everything about it is perfect. Imagine listening to this track and going, "Nope, calling up Danny Elfman and shitcanning everything about this." lol just lol.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I hated TLJ because Luke says "what'd you expect? Me to pick up a laser sword and fight the empire all on my own?" And at the time I was like yes, exactly that. That is what I want in my Star Wars.
Joss Whedon account found erasing Lando's achievements over here.

I'm sorry

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of the things I like about TLJ is how it contradicts itself continuously.

Luke's speech that one man alone can't fight the entire Empire, then he goes and does just that.

Leia calling out for the cavalry, only to be answered with silence.

Rey being told The Force is more powerful than just moving rocks, moves rocks to help friends.

Ren saying he's demolishing the old order, just to take it over for self-serving purposes changing nothing.

Keeps you from getting a hold of it.
I mean, watching Luke turn into a sad hermit wasn't fulfilling but it was a drat brave choice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TLJ's main problem is that if anything it makes a fetish out of making 'brave choices', but is incapable of committing to them in any meaningful way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's enough start wars chat in this holiest of places

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

That's enough start wars chat in this holiest of places

But you know at one point Snyder was rumored to direct a Star War! And I almost certainly would have loved it. The Snyder-fication of the "wandering warriors protecting an oppressed village" plot but masked in Star War paint, i.e., 7 Jedi defending a planet from invasion, depicted with Snyder stylings would have been extremely my poo poo.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
To bring this back to the Snyder Cut - one of my favorite characterizations is how the film undercuts the pop culture narrative of Wonder Woman embodying 'womanly' universal love and compassion with her being straight up racist about Aquaman & his 'tricky' people, and in the end she throws herself headfirst to protect his knocked out body from Steppenwolf's attack.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 27, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The moment they share when they realize their people share the same saying is very sweet, we have far more in common than we have differences, so why hate?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Also, regardless of which Star Wars movies you love or hate, Laura Dern is maybe the only actor to make "May the force be with you" actually sing.

If you're somehow intentionally discluding Alec Guinness, dukes up

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

The moment they share when they realize their people share the same saying is very sweet, we have far more in common than we have differences, so why hate?
When he's like "yeah my people are racist as gently caress I hate them" I got strong "Jewish but gently caress Likud" vibes.

And it is a great and minor plot point that she's super accepting of Cyborg and is pretty shady about Arthur. That whole graveyard chill scene is definitely something a hack would say cut because it's an empty 7 minutes.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Now that a week's gone by I can safely say that the best part of this movie for me was discussing it afterwards, especially dissecting the ways Whedon ruined it.

I would love it if Edgar Wright, James Gunn, and Christopher Nolan all took a stab at reshooting and reediting the 2017 Justice League film, so we can really dig into this.

In fact every mainstream director should have a go at it, I think.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

"Hate is useless."

Also, that saying: "None are taken back from the darkness. Not without giving one up in return." Hmmm. HMMMMMM...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

"Hate is useless."

Also, that saying: "None are taken back from the darkness. Not without giving one up in return." Hmmm. HMMMMMM...

Excuse me that toll was already paid by Daddy Stone :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

teagone posted:

"Hate is useless."

Also, that saying: "None are taken back from the darkness. Not without giving one up in return."

ARTHUR nods knowingly.

ARTHUR
The law of Equivalent Exchange...

DIANA
You know too of this law?

THEY EXCHANGE a knowing glance

TOGETHER
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

ARTHUR nods knowingly.

ARTHUR
The law of Equivalent Exchange...

DIANA
You know too of this law?

THEY EXCHANGE a knowing glance

TOGETHER
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!

Cyborg does reconstruct his dad's tape recorder like right out of FMA.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

https://twitter.com/Junkie_XL/status/1375817864800661507

dope

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

smoobles posted:

Now that a week's gone by I can safely say that the best part of this movie for me was discussing it afterwards, especially dissecting the ways Whedon ruined it.

I would love it if Edgar Wright, James Gunn, and Christopher Nolan all took a stab at reshooting and reediting the 2017 Justice League film, so we can really dig into this.

In fact every mainstream director should have a go at it, I think.

Each version should have it's own original epilogue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I want to see George Miller's and Topher Grace's cut.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cyborg does reconstruct his dad's tape recorder like right out of FMA.
Dude really embraced his new mom's side.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Finished rewatching Man of Steel and it still registers as just "ok." Having superman at least TRY to lead Zod away from the city, or at least acknowledge poo poo is getting hosed up and that is bad, would've gone a long way towards making the end fight more reasonable. I like the first 2/3rds of the movie but the last 1/3rd is just too much death and destruction with not any recognition of it by Supes. Heading into BvS Ultimate next.

FilthyImp posted:

Rey being told The Force is more powerful than just moving rocks, moves rocks to help friends.

OK I didn't notice this, but that's pretty funny.

I agree with those saying TLJ has some very artistic composition, it seems fairly similar to Snyder's filming method. I definitely recall more art-like scenes from that movie than the other two, and I did think some scenes were cool that others poo poo on, like warping the ship into the others. But some other scenes are terrible, like Rose using a teleportation spell to catch up to Finn and stop him from ramming the beam, and then doing a quip about how people fight for what they love. I'm fine with them being the big relationship of the film but holy poo poo it was so ham fisted and physically nonsensical that their "big scene" ruined their relationship for me.

Also didn't like the huge focus on "IS she or ISN'T she blood related to Important People?" It's not an interesting question, and the fact that all these films think it is makes me dislike all of them. I'd rather it not have been a plot line at all.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My sense of the Star Wars sequels is that Disney had no overarching plan, so went JJ, who made a nice homage movie, to Rian Johnson, who made a Star Wars movie with several different layers to it, and then panicked and went back to JJ with a big mess because Disney is extremely sensitive about cultivating the fandom.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw this comparison of the axe no-sell with a comic posted online.

Also, someone noticed that when Barry is saving the hostages from the falling debris, there’s a single frame of him admiring his work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
JJ's Dollar Store Episode 6 even got the whole "hid a kid in secret from the empire" and probably set it up as a Solo twin or something.

You know, when the SnyderCut movement started I was just like "release it as a comic" and holy shut would we have missed out if that were the case.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sodomy Hussein posted:

My sense of the Star Wars sequels is that Disney had no overarching plan, so went JJ, who made a nice homage movie, to Rian Johnson, who made a Star Wars movie with several different layers to it, and then panicked and went back to JJ with a big mess because Disney is extremely sensitive about cultivating the fandom.

I can't believe they made such an expensive trilogy and had no idea who the villain was going to be until JJ decided it was Palpatine all along.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

To bring this back to the Snyder Cut - one of my favorite characterizations is how the film undercuts the pop culture narrative of Wonder Woman embodying 'womanly' universal love and compassion

Not to call you a liar, but I've genuinely never heard this take. She's always been the hardass warrior, there's even a comic where her villain brainwashes superman, so she snaps his neck.

Closest I can think of to being about love and compassion was when she was made a Star Sapphire in the Green Lantern crossover comic thing, but that was clearly bullshit just done because she had tits.

Spacebump posted:

I can't believe they made such an expensive trilogy and had no idea who the villain was going to be until JJ decided it was Palpatine all along.

I mean, it was obviously going to be Ren. Colin's script even makes this clear. They wussed out because Disney/Abrams decided they should appease the loud minority of dorks that hated TLJ.

https://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 27, 2021

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Arkage posted:

Finished rewatching Man of Steel and it still registers as just "ok." Having superman at least TRY to lead Zod away from the city, or at least acknowledge poo poo is getting hosed up and that is bad, would've gone a long way towards making the end fight more reasonable. I like the first 2/3rds of the movie but the last 1/3rd is just too much death and destruction with not any recognition of it by Supes. Heading into BvS Ultimate next.

OK I didn't notice this, but that's pretty funny.

I agree with those saying TLJ has some very artistic composition, it seems fairly similar to Snyder's filming method. I definitely recall more art-like scenes from that movie than the other two, and I did think some scenes were cool that others poo poo on, like warping the ship into the others. But some other scenes are terrible, like Rose using a teleportation spell to catch up to Finn and stop him from ramming the beam, and then doing a quip about how people fight for what they love. I'm fine with them being the big relationship of the film but holy poo poo it was so ham fisted and physically nonsensical that their "big scene" ruined their relationship for me.

Also didn't like the huge focus on "IS she or ISN'T she blood related to Important People?" It's not an interesting question, and the fact that all these films think it is makes me dislike all of them. I'd rather it not have been a plot line at all.

the difference with Snyder and Johnson (and TLJ) is Snyder is a confident storyteller with a strong sense of the themes he wants to convey and crafts his story and character arcs to reinforce those themes consistently. Johnson is more interested in playing meta narrative games with the audience even at the expense of story and also has a little too much feckless self-impressed nerd in him. Too much of the Whedon gene in him to really transcend and make a fully self assured movie.

TLJ touches on some interesting stuff, making the subtext of the prequels text for the mainstream audience in a way that resonated with people who didn’t get what Lucas was going for, but ultimately the movie is too afraid of really going there and Johnson more interested in structural subversion to go anywhere interesting with it. It’s clear that the delving into that prequel subtext was just another exercise in temporary meta subversion and not a genuine interest in the characters exploring that perspective and taking the story and their arcs in that direction.

Johnson’s a gimmick director, a poor man’s Nolan, more interested in structure than character. Snyder is only interested in character and theme. They do have some similar visual sensibilities, TLJ certainly has more flair for the dynamic than the other two movies, but again, it’s not cohesive. Snyder’s movies embody their aesthetic for every minute of their runtime, it’s intertwined with the themes, story, and the characters. Johnson’s dip into it for big shocking moments and set pieces but return to convention. He’s definitely got more auteur in him than like an Abrams though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

These TLJ takes make my brain leak out of my skull.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

knives out was a great movie

on a side note, Zack Snyder’s Justice League.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

These TLJ takes make my brain leak out of my skull.

Wait until you see the ZSJL takes on film twitter and pop culture opinion blogs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

Wait until you see the ZSJL takes on film twitter and pop culture opinion blogs.

very fine leaks on both sides

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

TLJ has some cool stuff but the pacing is BONKERS.

It's a kung fu training montage juxtaposed with the galaxy's slowest car chase, for about 90 minutes of the movie. The space chase already felt slow, while cutting back and forth with Rey, presumably spending weeks training with Luke.

Every time they cut back to the fleeing rebels I remember just thinking "wow these guys are still running away huh"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mandrel posted:

the difference with Snyder and Johnson (and TLJ) is Snyder is a confident storyteller with a strong sense of the themes he wants to convey and crafts his story and character arcs to reinforce those themes consistently. Johnson is more interested in playing meta narrative games with the audience even at the expense of story and also has a little too much feckless self-impressed nerd in him. Too much of the Whedon gene in him to really transcend and make a fully self assured movie.

TLJ touches on some interesting stuff, making the subtext of the prequels text for the mainstream audience in a way that resonated with people who didn’t get what Lucas was going for, but ultimately the movie is too afraid of really going there and Johnson more interested in structural subversion to go anywhere interesting with it. It’s clear that the delving into that prequel subtext was just another exercise in temporary meta subversion and not a genuine interest in the characters exploring that perspective and taking the story and their arcs in that direction.

Johnson’s a gimmick director, a poor man’s Nolan, more interested in structure than character. Snyder is only interested in character and theme. They do have some similar visual sensibilities, TLJ certainly has more flair for the dynamic than the other two movies, but again, it’s not cohesive. Snyder’s movies embody their aesthetic for every minute of their runtime, it’s intertwined with the themes, story, and the characters. Johnson’s dip into it for big shocking moments and set pieces but return to convention. He’s definitely got more auteur in him than like an Abrams though

I agree with this.

Oh...Oh no, I'm the derailer now. Welp

*straps into dildo ship*

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mandrel posted:

. Johnson is more interested in playing meta narrative games with the audience even at the expense of story and also has a little too much feckless self-impressed nerd in him.

This is a meta read that is projection on your part. Rian johnson is a revisionist, nothing more or less. He's hyper aware of the source and is looking for more within that. Much like myself, every time he writes something, he asks if he's seen it done before and how to usurp that. This idea has been a thing since before the French New wave and their love of westerns. Go back and watch Brick. What structure are you referring to? If anything TLJ is another take on those characters, adolescents playing in an adult world. How does knives out not focus on characters over structure?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 27, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

smoobles posted:

Every time they cut back to the fleeing rebels I remember just thinking "wow these guys are still running away huh"

When the first say how they're being tracked through hyperspace I thought they were going to take it in the direction of some traitor being on one of the resistance ships which would have done a lot for that part of the movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I love The Last Jedi and it's handsdown the best big franchise genre movie of the last decade.

But it is kinda funny how a lot of this thread is often about how people only dislike Snyder because they want their version of their favorite heroes on the screen but are acting as junior script doctors for The Last Jedi.

Here's a bad take that I totally believe in if you need to refocus: Snyder's planned trilogy sounds pretty bad. Like the Mad Bats part would be a hoot, but Lois getting Fridged after banging Bruce is actively a bad idea.

It's not worse than hiring known sexpest weirdo Whedon. And also I don't know what the gently caress Warner Bros. wants. Like you could imagine what is basically a live action version of the Timmverse or a live action All-Star Superman movie. But like they don't want to do that either? They release animated movies and video games that are all the critiques of the Snyder films ramped up to a million and without any of the actual interesting parts of Snyder's work that I think redeems his films. I think the easy complaint is they're chasing Marvel, but like Wonder Woman 1984 is a weird homage to both Wonder Woman the TV series, Batman Returns, and Superman III. Is that chasing Marvel? Is that chasing anything?

I'm glad that their lack of vision has provided a genuinely great film in Birds of Prey and the wildride that is the Snyder trilogy, but I have no idea what's happening?

I am both kind of understanding that they they don't want to do Snyder's vision of things that does have some lovely components, but also why do they give a gently caress when they don't have any cohesive vision for things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Snyder's planned story has already undergone changes.

Superman, for example, seems perfectly at ease with his humanity (whereas the original was him being more alien and distant and Kent effectively being dead). Otherwise his reunion at the farm makes no sense.

I have to believe that they decided on The Kid being Clark's but possibly without powers.