Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

It'd a lot cooler if it was 69,420 minutes

Nice.

edit: goddamn. I don't know whether to be proud of this page snipe or embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
e: n/m, didn't refresh!

meltie fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 27, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
For all your Ever Given needs: https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Yeah, it’s like 35 days...

Shown once in an experimental theater in Denmark(?) Hope that’s the right country

I love the concept... art by GoPro is good art

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

For all your Ever Given needs: https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

It says it has cost us 40 billion so far

Lol it hasn't cost me anything

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lucky, I already declared bankruptcy

E:

namlosh posted:

Any time I’m able to mention this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistics_(film)

It’s the longest movie ever made, and tracks the progress of a cheap pedometer from creation to shipping in REAL TIME

51,420 minutes

There's an edited 70 minute version on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFG0xP12yE

That's... More than enough, I think

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 27, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

I realize you're being flippant, but it will actually cost you money, long term. loving the Suez is going to increase prices nearly across the board. Albeit, not in a defined way, aka no "Suez tariff", but a penny here and a nickel there... It's the same as the tariffs on Chinese electronic components. You don't know that you're paying it, but you are.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have a fever, and the only prescription is:

Tiny Tugboat

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

I realize you're being flippant, but it will actually cost you money, long term. loving the Suez is going to increase prices nearly across the board. Albeit, not in a defined way, aka no "Suez tariff", but a penny here and a nickel there... It's the same as the tariffs on Chinese electronic components. You don't know that you're paying it, but you are.

Maybe but not to the point that I will ever notice, I just think it's funny how they use the word "us" in there like we're all somehow financially responsible :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Maybe but not to the point that I will ever notice, I just think it's funny how they use the word "us" in there like we're all somehow financially responsible :v:
North America should be largely spared on consumer goods, but oil has been spiking (of course) because of this and it will rattle through the market and presumably cause gasoline and other refined products to go up as well.

Remember the days when Saddam would sneeze and gasoline prices shot up 20%? That kind of thing, but not as bad on this side of the pond.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Just sayin here, what about blowing it up? Define it as a hostile combatant and send in the drones, bunker busters, doodlebugs or what have you. Resolve this business in an hour or so?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When they decommission ships, they have a huge chain saw they can use to literally section view ships. It's neat

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

um excuse me posted:

When they decommission ships, they have a huge chain saw they can use to literally section view ships. It's neat

They used one to cut up that car carrier that capsized off the coast of Georgia a couple of years ago too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Midjack posted:

They used one to cut up that car carrier that capsized off the coast of Georgia a couple of years ago too.

That’s the one pictured, MV Golden Ray.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chrpno posted:

Just sayin here, what about blowing it up? Define it as a hostile combatant and send in the drones, bunker busters, doodlebugs or what have you. Resolve this business in an hour or so?

What do you think happens to the ship and the canal in this case?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Chrpno posted:

You should pursue a job in Hollywood, not international relations.

Because of:

StormDrain posted:

What do you think happens to the ship and the canal in this case?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also :lol: at “I won’t notice [the price increases in general that I’ll definitely be paying] so I’m not paying it”

Goods that will be sold either way and would have sold for x billion dollars without this absolutely will be sold for x+~40(so far) billion dollars and consumers absolutely will pay that difference because businesses sure as gently caress won’t

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

Also :lol: at “I won’t notice [the price increases in general that I’ll definitely be paying] so I’m not paying it”

Goods that will be sold either way and would have sold for x billion dollars without this absolutely will be sold for x+~40(so far) billion dollars and consumers absolutely will pay that difference because businesses sure as gently caress won’t

Also consumers will pay for it even if the cost isn't incurred!

Truly some of that cost has to be an opportunity cost, and time value of money estimated cost. Also there's a finite amount of money for most people so while I may pay more for some goods it doesn't mean I still buy the same amount of goods. Perhaps downgrade to substitutes or go without. Because of those options businesses are incentivizes to make less or cut costs elsewhere to keep profits level. It's better to sell your stuff at less than you expected than not at all.

In the end I agree with you, business screw customers first, and we will pay more. The difference is we may not be paying with money, also with time and quality.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Chrpno posted:

Think I'll play this with a straight bat.

Hit that thing with all the conventional ordinance you want, all that will happen is you will sink it properly and good luck now moving 220,000 ton of dead weight that is still the approximate shape of a ship. You would need *nuclear* level devices to blow a new canal in short order which was considered decades ago and a nuke of even a megaton capacity is going to have a problem erasing something that big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Plowshare

Good luck getting *that* approved.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chrpno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVTN5iCXrkk

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah great you turned a giant stuck ship into a giant stuck pile of metal that now is random instead of orderly. Blowing up the Ever Given is simply the worst idea.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Yeah great you turned a giant stuck ship into a giant stuck pile of metal that now is random instead of orderly. Blowing up the Ever Given is simply the worst idea.

Someone has been playing videogames far too much. Things don't disappear when they get blown up. They turn into massive piles of debris instead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Be a lot cooler if it did

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

I absolutely will not notice because I don't give a poo poo enough to notice that the price of my Coffee went up .25 cents :shrug:

I have enough poo poo to worry about other than a dumbass ship being stuck and my consumerism being slightly more expensive as a result. Who cares.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Be a lot cooler if it did

But my tires :ohdear:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wrar posted:

But what if the kaboom is big enough to throw all the debris clear of the canal?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The company I work for makes explosives to cut, shock, push, seperate and destroy. Not all explosives fall into the last category. You can make explosives whose purpose is to push stuff really hard instead of annihilate it. Granted you need a shitload of mass to react against which would actually be the harder part unless you don't care about making a loving huge crater.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 28, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hit that thing with all the conventional ordinance you want, all that will happen is you will sink it properly and good luck now moving 220,000 ton of dead weight that is still the approximate shape of a ship. You would need *nuclear* level devices to blow a new canal in short order which was considered decades ago and a nuke of even a megaton capacity is going to have a problem erasing something that big.

The "standard crater" for Plowshare was a 100kt bomb in hard rock. That produced a crater 1280' wide and 380' deep. That diameter is basically the length of the Ever Given.
The Effects of Nuclear Weapons Chapter VI "Underground Effects" has some scaling factors based on geologic conditions. Dry hard rock is 1.0, with "wet affluvium" at 2.0; we can safely assume that whatever's under the suez falls between those. So putting a single 100kt bomb 653' under the vessel will replace the vessel with a crater and a 400' deep lake. This is probably excessive.

A 10-20kt device directly under the vessel on the bottom of the canal would accelerate the entire thing, clearing the canal simply and easily.

A megaton is a couple orders of magnitude of overkill.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

A 10-20kt device directly under the vessel on the bottom of the canal would accelerate the entire thing, clearing the canal simply and easily.

Now we're getting somewhere!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I absolutely will not notice because I don't give a poo poo enough to notice that the price of my Coffee went up .25 cents :shrug:

I have enough poo poo to worry about other than a dumbass ship being stuck and my consumerism being slightly more expensive as a result. Who cares.
Right. The problematic statement wasn’t that you won’t notice it, it was:

Unless you actually mean that you haven’t paid it yet, but that doesn’t make sense.

Also, I’m glad more expensive goods don’t affect you, but you absolutely will be paying more and so will everyone else and not everyone is so fortunate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/raf_luton/status/1376200852218724354

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I enjoy that infographic implies giving Iran nuclear weapons as part of the operation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Right. The problematic statement wasn’t that you won’t notice it, it was:
Unless you actually mean that you haven’t paid it yet, but that doesn’t make sense.

Also, I’m glad more expensive goods don’t affect you, but you absolutely will be paying more and so will everyone else and not everyone is so fortunate.

I understand all of that but my point was

I doubt it's going to significantly effect people shopping at Walmart and disagree that the average consumer will even notice

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 28, 2021

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Elviscat posted:

I enjoy that infographic implies giving Iran nuclear weapons as part of the operation.

SEMI-nuclear...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Sedan crater is loving impressive in person.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kfury/status/1375913627748720640

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Lies. The only screwdrivers I've ever stripped out of the handle itself (broke free of the plastic) had hex handles. Maybe back in the old days where manufacturers spent the extra .00001 cent to put metal wings on the shaft this would have worked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just use vise grips duh

Rips the poo poo out of the handle but it works in a pinch :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

actual good screw and nut drivers have flats/a hex area on the shaft to do this with. and a metal strike cap on the back.