Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've been watching "The Tunnel" at the recommendation of my dad and enjoying the first season so far - though it's been pretty fuckin' dark. It's funny because I usually don't go for shows that are quite this dark, but the two detectives are so charismatic and interesting that it just doesn't matter. Seeing Stephen Dillane in this makes me realize how wasted he was as Stannis (much as I liked him anyway) being forced to scowl all the time and wear the same expression. The guy's got so much more range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's like 5 different international versions of The Tunnel. I never saw why it was so riveting globally.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sad question posted:

Finished 1st season of Ozark. It's so blue. It really wants to be Breaking Bad and is pretty good. But so blue.

The thing that just pisses me off about Ozark is how cheaply the tension is turned up - it's always some rear end in a top hat demanding way more than can possibly be done and proves their point by needlessly maiming or killing someone. Or if it is somehow done, some other rear end in a top hat unknowingly gets their toes stepped on and decides to make that fact known by maiming or killing someone. It's like Entourage - will Vinny get the movie? Oh man he got the movie! Will the movie do well? Oh great, the movie kicks rear end! Now Vinny wants to do his own thing, will he ever act again? Nice, he got another part! Over and over and over again. At least Ozark isn't a massive prank played on the four main characters such that they are the only actors who never again see widespread success.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

There's like 5 different international versions of The Tunnel. I never saw why it was so riveting globally.

It's a show about (among other things) bi-national tension, so each country wants its own version with its nearest, slightly-disliked neighbour I assume.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
I just started watching Apple's "Servant" today

I have nothing but questions, this show is nuts. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of lost and leave this all unresolved

sad question posted:

Finished 1st season of Ozark. It's so blue. It really wants to be Breaking Bad and is pretty good. But so blue.

Man, if Ozark was even remotely as good as Breaking Bad, jason bateman would've been shot in the third episode or whichever episode it was the hillbillies could've just killed him in the bathroom and gotten away with it entirely

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think it was like "wow this is amazing, we need to remake it so everyone can see it" so much as "huh this is a mildly interesting idea that we can easily use to make our own detective show set in our country"?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RYYSZLA posted:

I just started watching Apple's "Servant" today

As of the end of Season 2, it's pretty clear what's going on.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, you're looking in the wrong places. Wynonna Earp ...

Vagrant Queen and Resident Alien are fun...

Happy...

Warehouse 13, Eureka.

USA made The Librarians...

Oh! And Legends of Tomorrow / Farscape, with the provisio that the former show only gets particularly good with its third season.

Edit: and Netflix made a Magicians knockoff that lasted two seasons. The Order. I've not seen it, but apparently it's stupid fun.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might try out Wynonna Earp. I assumed it was just a western until I watched the trailer. It looks bonkers. I watched ep 1 of Resident Alien. I wasn't feeling it. As much as I like Alan Tudyk, I was not thrilled with "Balki in a small town" and the alien humor felt really flat to me.

Vagrant Queen gets super low IMDB scores, but I may still try it. I don't base my decisions on their scores, but I tend to notice the things I really like never get under a 7 on IMDB.

Happy I can't deal with. It was too manic and I know this is nitpicking, but the room tone of Patton Oswalt's ADR not matching any scene that his character is in kills me. It's grating on my ears.

My gf really liked Eureka, but I couldn't make it through 3 episodes. Eureka I think would be great if it had better actors? It's a mix of people that can't emote and people that overact. Great choices there casting director!

I loved Farscape when it was out but I think I dropped off somewhere in s2, but only because I was watching it weekly on Sci-Fi when it came out. I might revisit it.

LoT? Is it cheesy bad like the other CW shows? I've tried Flash and Green Arrow, but they were a bit too soap opera for me. Teen drama weekly is not what I want out of my tv. I don't want Super Powers to be plot A and Family Time to be plot B. That bores me for some reason. I want Family Time to be resolved within Super Power. Home, work, and play should intermix and those plots should influence the other arcs in a meaningful way (cough like in The Magicians [cough also obviously just my opinion and what I personally want out of tv shows]). I've thought about this one a couple of times though so I might give it a try.

Basically I'm super picky, and will only watch TV if it's a fun well done ride. I can deal with smaller budgets but generally bad acting and bad plotting are deal breakers for me. Otherwise I feel guilty like I'm wasting time not writing or animating.

Cactus posted:

Silly escapist fun, let's see... Future Man. Dark Matter. The 100.

I watched FM's 1st ep when it came out. Nothing grabbed me, but I wasn't turned off by it. I haven't heard of DM. I'll look into it, and I think I watched around 3 or 4 eps of the 100 and it didn't catch me either.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone's favorite shows. I'm just hard to please, but I appreciate you both for taking the time to write these out.

I started Mythic Quest because I love IASiP, The Mick, AP Bio... So I figured why wouldn't I like something by another member of sunny... I watched through episode 5 and it's ok. It's like Silicon Valley light. Also ep 5 was more of a short film and less of an episode of the show. I'm not done with the season, but I was not feeling it or how it really connected to the show's tone or feeling at all. I saw the mid credits scene, but... that was a lot of drama in the middle of my vidyo game show without much of a payoff. I heard people compare it to the Mac's dance scene in terms of writing, but I'm not seeing it. The dance was one of the best written/performed and EARNED moments in any sitcom. That episode deserved an Emmy. Take THAT Mary Tyler Moore laughing at the clown funeral! Also I want more of The Mick.

I have less than a month now until I have to write for 4 months straight. I needs me more tv!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 23, 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've been watching Warehouse 13. Took me a long time to get into since the first episode is something like an hour and a half with all sorts of filler. I would start watching it, get bored and give up. But a couple weeks ago I got through it and now I'm enjoying the show. It's not full of great acting or effects, but something about it is fun. Kind of a Fringe vibe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

An Ounce of Gold posted:

LoT? Is it cheesy bad like the other CW shows? I've tried Flash and Green Arrow, but they were a bit too soap opera for me. Teen drama weekly is not what I want out of my tv. I don't want Super Powers to be plot A and Family Time to be plot B. That bores me for some reason. I want Family Time to be resolved within Super Power. Home, work, and play should intermix and those plots should influence the other arcs in a meaningful way (cough like in The Magicians [cough also obviously just my opinion and what I personally want out of tv shows]). I've thought about this one a couple of times though so I might give it a try.

Legends is much sillier than Arrow or Flash. There's relationship drama but all of the characters are superheroes or super-villains and there's no mucking about with secret identities or everyday stuff.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Doom2020! posted:

Yeah that has become a little too common BUT I still think Mr Robot circumvented that nicely by using Maxence Cyrin all piano version instead of the Pixies. I still think you can use a version of it but just go creative on the artist or the version. Weird tangent but went on a road trip with a mate and he wanted to hear that song several times for personal reasons. Wasn't that long of a trip but I found five total versions of that song that weren't the Pixies. Next time someone in Film/TVland wants a version hire a Reggae band or an Turkish band or any kind of band to do it in a way that hasn't been done before. Not slamming the Pixies at all despite it not being my usual taste. I'm still sad MF DOOM or Wesley Willis never did a version of that song. I'd kill for a Hindi version.

That lead to an absolutely beautiful exit. I actually wept like a baby at "Take on Me" and I will admit that to NOONE in real life. Magicians handled that better than 90% of A list shows I've seen. Now you guys make me want to watch that show yet again.

Absolutely agreed, that Take on Me cover at the S4 finale of the Magicians, taken in the context of events and the way it was all shot, was nothing short of a work of art.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I watched FM's 1st ep when it came out. Nothing grabbed me, but I wasn't turned off by it. I haven't heard of DM. I'll look into it, and I think I watched around 3 or 4 eps of the 100 and it didn't catch me either.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone's favorite shows. I'm just hard to please, but I appreciate you both for taking the time to write these out.

No problem, they are all shows that "ya gotta watch X number of episodes before they git gud" and I can't fault anyone for not having the patience for that in this age. Especially when it may not even turn out to be your cup of tea anyway, and you're two seasons in and you knew this from the start, but the internet posters convinced you you'd like it if you just kept going with it.

I've been clicking on random Netflix shows (I finally signed up to watch an anime I couldn't pirate and realised I'm loving sick of VPNs and uTorrent and all that poo poo so fuckit, it's a couple of quid a week who cares) and so far have watched/am watching Behind Her Eyes, Atypical, and Teenage Bounty Hunters.

I finished Behind Her Eyes and it's a BBC Drama. Yep, it's definitely one of those. Only 6 episodes so can be done in a day, it's good but saying too much about the premise is a spoiler. It has quite a dark ending. <<Ending tone spoiler.

Atypical is one of those CW-type soapy shows featuring an autistic main character, standard TV teen/family comedy/drama comfort food. (I've been playing a lot of Control, The Board are in my head/under my skin)

Teenage Bounty Hunters WILL annoy some. Will make others laugh out loud. It's about two rich southern twins from church group that secretly take up bounty hunting on the side in order to get money they need because they crashed daddy's car. The acting is fast, like a sitcom or even a sketch show at times, and some of the jokes mine from the political divide (for example one of the bounties is someone who skipped bail to finish their mission of cutting off the heads of confederate statues, and they play on the whole "should we really be arresting this person?" angle) I like it so far.

Oh, and the anime I originally signed up for? Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. A friend was gushing about it and I read a few favourable reviews so I wanted to check it out, it's definitely one of the better ones, but it still has a lot of the things unique to anime that make me cringe to watch. One thing it does that I like is that it sets up a premise, and then goes in a slightly different direction than I was expecting, that is better than what I was expecting. So kudos for that. And the fights are really cool. But that's mostly a given in anime when you settle down to watch "one of the good ones."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Grand Army is so good I don't want it to end, but I do because it gets pretty heavy going and I'm near the end and it doesn't strike me as the kind of show that gives its characters happy endings. Downright tragic or bittersweet is probably the best I'm going to get with this one.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I'm watching a show from 2013 on Discovery+ called Gem Hunt and it follows 3 absolutely unhinged gem people across the globe in search of loving people over buying gems for no money. I feel like it's illegal that I'm watching it? These people are so unafraid and driven that frankly they scare me. Alleyway deals and being followed by government officials and it's just wild. I have to not watch it before bed because it stresses me out, but it's interesting!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Season 3 of “Drive to Survive” just hit on Friday and it’s amazing. You don’t have to give a poo poo about Formula 1 to enjoy it, as it’s very character driven. It’s way more interesting than watching Hamilton win yet another race.
It helps if you don't watch formula 1 because drive to survive is fictional.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So I hit the post-endgame in Netflix and started Amazon Prime.

Currently I am binging The Grand Tour and following that, James May-stuff intertwined with the Butch Spencer & Terence Hill movies.

Yes I am about to hit middle-age in a few years, why are you asking.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Currently I am binging The Grand Tour and following that, James May-stuff intertwined with the Butch Spencer & Terence Hill movies.

let me know when you get that Britbox/Acorn sub going so we can go over the finer seasons of Midsommer Murders.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Warrior Nun was surprisingly not bad, nothing memorable but a nice way to pass some time. Very much rode the “not taking itself to seriously” path.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want someone to turn the 14 original Frank Baum Oz books into a high budget 10 episode per season show. I needs me some fun fantasy/magic/powers/escapism that is well done.

Agreed, though also include some of Baum's other works like The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus that tie into Oz as well, and honestly might as well adapt the rest of the "Famous Forty" Oz books as well

And then there's the matter of what style the show should be done in and who to put in charge of it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Oh Cook! is pretty great.

edit:
Except for the lasagna. Both lasagnas he makes deserve to be in prison.

Food Prison: coming to Amazon Prime in 2022

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm 6 episodes into Rubicon and it's the slowest paced show I've ever seen. After Mad Men and Breaking Bad, this show was supposed to be the followup successor for AMC prestige TV. It's a spy/conspiracy show and I'm digging it but man I completely understand why it was cancelled and nobody cared.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm 6 episodes into Rubicon and it's the slowest paced show I've ever seen. After Mad Men and Breaking Bad, this show was supposed to be the followup successor for AMC prestige TV. It's a spy/conspiracy show and I'm digging it but man I completely understand why it was cancelled and nobody cared.

I cared - I cared a lot that they canceled Rubicon :cry: I adored that show and everything about it, and to date "Truxton Spangler" is maybe the greatest character name ever. That show was just really special though - I guess it was destined to fail, since it's not like tons of people were dying for a re-imagining of "Three Days of the Condor" with a slower pace and a longer form. Well, except me, I guess :sigh:

I held a grudge about that cancellation and refused to ever get on "The Walking Dead" bandwagon because it frustrated me so much that this cliche-filled zombie show got picked up while Rubicon got the axe. I felt like Rubicon was going to far more interesting places than The Walking Dead could ever hope to go - though I suppose we'll never know.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

youtube decided it was time to watch true detective S1 again. praise be the algorithm.

I would gladly watch a season of bad true detective and an interesting but ultimately boring season to rewatch season one until eternity. I can't think of a better single season of TV ever. If you average all the seasons of the wire, it is certainly as good as that average. It is more fantastical and condensed but scene after scene floors me. The key, like all good shows, is how loving funny it can be. I cannot stand bleak TV any more. But I can rewatch a show that gets as dark as this because at times it is as funny as any pure comedy I have ever watched.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Qmass posted:

youtube decided it was time to watch true detective S1 again. praise be the algorithm.

I would gladly watch a season of bad true detective and an interesting but ultimately boring season to rewatch season one until eternity. I can't think of a better single season of TV ever. If you average all the seasons of the wire, it is certainly as good as that average. It is more fantastical and condensed but scene after scene floors me. The key, like all good shows, is how loving funny it can be. I cannot stand bleak TV any more. But I can rewatch a show that gets as dark as this because at times it is as funny as any pure comedy I have ever watched.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just did a rewatch of True Detective season 1 as well, and it's just as good as I remember it. I never bothered watching the third season. Is it worth checking out?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just did a rewatch of True Detective season 1 as well, and it's just as good as I remember it. I never bothered watching the third season. Is it worth checking out?

It’s merely good compared to S1.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is like the Salieri of True Detective seasons. It is well made and well acted, but there is just nothing there. None of the cool stuff they tease go anywhere interesting, and the resolution is underwhelming. Season 2 was at least bad in an interesting way; no one ever talks about Season 3.

https://uproxx.com/tv/true-detective-roland-gay-amelia-killer/

I mean, the creator would even go on social media to refute fan speculation, just so that no one would get the wrong idea and think the show might be going somewhere interesting.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 27, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

kaworu posted:

I cared - I cared a lot that they canceled Rubicon :cry: I adored that show and everything about it, and to date "Truxton Spangler" is maybe the greatest character name ever. That show was just really special though - I guess it was destined to fail, since it's not like tons of people were dying for a re-imagining of "Three Days of the Condor" with a slower pace and a longer form. Well, except me, I guess :sigh:

I held a grudge about that cancellation and refused to ever get on "The Walking Dead" bandwagon because it frustrated me so much that this cliche-filled zombie show got picked up while Rubicon got the axe. I felt like Rubicon was going to far more interesting places than The Walking Dead could ever hope to go - though I suppose we'll never know.

Didn't Rubicon's showrunner get canned after the pilot? There was a clear tonal shift from "there are hidden messages in the crossword puzzles" to Three Days of the Condor.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm rewatching Columbo, one of the great television shows.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Solkanar512 posted:

The thing that just pisses me off about Ozark is how cheaply the tension is turned up - it's always some rear end in a top hat demanding way more than can possibly be done and proves their point by needlessly maiming or killing someone. Or if it is somehow done, some other rear end in a top hat unknowingly gets their toes stepped on and decides to make that fact known by maiming or killing someone. It's like Entourage - will Vinny get the movie? Oh man he got the movie! Will the movie do well? Oh great, the movie kicks rear end! Now Vinny wants to do his own thing, will he ever act again? Nice, he got another part! Over and over and over again. At least Ozark isn't a massive prank played on the four main characters such that they are the only actors who never again see widespread success.

Ozark's problem is that every character is a complete rear end in a top hat, and not even an interesting rear end in a top hat. The only likable character is Ruth Langmore. I think the politics subplot was supposed to make the Byrde family more more likable, but it just makes them come off as massive hypocrites, and they aren't any better than the politicians they are trying to take down.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 27, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Doom Patrol is better then any other comic book show by an order of magnitude. Also super duper weird (like the source material) but as someone who loves the comic it is based on I can't a) get enough of it and b) still can't quite believe there is a Doom Patrol TV Show (!). Also it's the type of weird that leads to things and isn't just weird for weirdness' sake (looking at you post S1 Legion) and is also super funny. Definitely an acquired taste, I can see most people WTFing out of it pretty fast.

Also the intro song is so good

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

Just one more thing...

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Didn't Rubicon's showrunner get canned after the pilot? There was a clear tonal shift from "there are hidden messages in the crossword puzzles" to Three Days of the Condor.

Yeah, actually. My recollection is that the original showrunner (Jason Horwitch was the creator and Henry Bromell took over) was going to go in some direction that ended up involving "9/11 was an inside job" in some way - as I recall one of the characters had lost family in 9/11, I think? My (rough) recollection is that this was a rabbit hole AMC was not prepared to go down back in 2010.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 28, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

edit != quote

mystes
May 31, 2006

kaworu posted:

Yeah, actually. My recollection is that the original showrunner (Jason Horwitch was the creator and Henry Bromell took over) was going to go in some direction that ended up involving "9/11 was an inside job" in some way - as I recall one of the characters had lost family in 9/11, I think? My (rough) recollection is that this was a rabbit hole AMC was not prepared to go down back in 2010.
You'd think they could have just made it not be 9/11 specifically or something rather than having massive tone whiplash.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Buschmaki posted:

Watching one or two of these a week has been a lot of fun. Falk is amazing, the guest stars are many, and the time capsule of 70s poo poo is the gift that keeps on giving.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mystes posted:

You'd think they could have just made it not be 9/11 specifically or something rather than having massive tone whiplash.

How about a secret cabal of hollywood and democrat elites that harvest adrenochrome from abducted children in the basement of a pizza restaurant? Or is that too crazy?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Here's my recent binge roster:

High Maintenance s4. This show is so beautiful.

Collateral. This is a 4 episode limited series that starts with a murder investigation and tries to layer on a bunch of other stuff, with many different POV. The cast is pretty good, and I liked it as a slow burn series, but I don't think I'll remember anything from it in a year. I didn't find a very good payoff from the ending.

Lucifer (rewatch) C'mon 5b!

The Irregulars Just a couple episodes into this Sherlock Holmes spinoff. Casting-wise, it's in the same vein of Bridgerton, with a diverse young cast set in Victorian England and set to modern music. I was expecting it to be terrible, and I don't think it is. It's not great, but it's dark enough to be almost interesting. So far it seems to be a supernatural boogieman of the week but building up to a bigger mystery.

Buschmaki posted:

I didn't watch these growing up, but caught a few just a couple of years ago. I didn't have much expectation but they were surprisingly good. I love that they are longer than the typical 44minute run time.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Re: Rubicon - I always said if they made a movie/TV show about what working in intelligence was really like, it would be so boring nobody would watch it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lucifer (rewatch) C'mon 5b!

May 28!

quote:

The Irregulars Just a couple episodes into this Sherlock Holmes spinoff. Casting-wise, it's in the same vein of Bridgerton, with a diverse young cast set in Victorian England and set to modern music. I was expecting it to be terrible, and I don't think it is. It's not great, but it's dark enough to be almost interesting. So far it seems to be a supernatural boogieman of the week but building up to a bigger mystery.

I finished this yesterday, and I think it's actually pretty good for what it is! The big twists probably aren't going to be that surprising, and there's some of the love and friendship melodrama you might expect especially towards the end, but it generally moved along. The prince subplot was probably unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Might just recrack Leverage open.