Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Rufio posted:

We've heard about cordless blower now let's hear about cordless vacuums. Anyone try the Milwaukee packout m18 vacuum?

Yeah I posted about the Makita recently

mobby_6kl posted:

I was just helping mom pick a vacuum cleaner and came across the Makita DCL180Z. I already have one of the knockoff 18V batteries I used with the impact and drill, and this was just $26. Seriously.

It's probably intended for the shop/job sites but since my only vacuum so far is a roomba, it's exactly what I needed for to clean up the DIY messes around the apartment or just the things the roomba doesn't get. Doesn't come with a brush but it looks like there are universal ones you can buy. :iia:

It still works fine. Not something I'd want to use to clean the whole house or a particularly huge mess but it's great for cleaning up localized dirt

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Re: cordless shopvac chat, I got the Dewalt DCV581H a couple of years ago.

Pros: it's very portable, all the accessories clip onto it, it can be plugged in directly into 120v, it does at least an okay job of cleaning up things in the car, I guess if I had any old 18v batteries that'd be cool too?
Cons: the waste all goes into the bottom half of the thing, and the lip on the black plastic that the actual vacuum sits on top of makes it borderline impossible to ever fully clean the thing out.

I didn't use my money to buy the thing, but if I had to do it over I wouldn't get it. Especially for the price.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm honestly curious what the "noise premium" is of a gas-powered unit compared to an electric unit. That is, say you had an electric unit that was as powerful as a regular gas unit; how much louder would the gas one be?

People who don't wear ear protection . . . Wear ear protection when operating gas blowers. (the real ones and not the kind that are glorified weed whackers with a blower).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a friend who does drywall profesionally and he swears by the handheld dyson vacuums for his battery powered suction needs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got the Milwaukee blower and it devours the 5.0 battery on high speed. Like I'm impressed that it can drain that quickly in without heating up. Talking minutes.

CommonShore posted:

I have a friend who does drywall profesionally and he swears by the handheld dyson vacuums for his battery powered suction needs.

Issues I've had with non-shop vac style vacuums with joint compound dust is that the filter clogs immediately. Haven't used a Dyson, but I prefer a wet/dry vac with a bag, speaking as a journeyman amateur.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 21, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommonShore posted:

I don't know about the new ones but it's basically impossible to get replacement filters for the older one I've got for less than the price of a new vacuum. OTOH the whole machine is cheap enough to throw if plaster dust kills it

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the non fuel 2 gallon Milwaukee shop vac and it’s fine but I’m not crazy about it. Louder than my full size rigid by quite a bit, doesn’t have as good of suction/less handy than my Dyson V8 hand vac. Mainly wind up using it for portable dust extraction but everything else just break out the big shop vac or grab a normal hand vac from the house.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

My Milwaukee M18 2 gallon vac is the only tool from them I'm disappointed in. It works alright, but the hose is splitting between the metal spirals. Replacement hoses are 1/2 the price of a brand new vac, so it seems outrageous, and I'm not convinced the same problem won't reoccur. My hose is now 80% electrical tape.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dr. Habibi posted:

Re: cordless shopvac chat, I got the Dewalt DCV581H a couple of years ago.

Pros: it's very portable, all the accessories clip onto it, it can be plugged in directly into 120v, it does at least an okay job of cleaning up things in the car, I guess if I had any old 18v batteries that'd be cool too?
Cons: the waste all goes into the bottom half of the thing, and the lip on the black plastic that the actual vacuum sits on top of makes it borderline impossible to ever fully clean the thing out.

I didn't use my money to buy the thing, but if I had to do it over I wouldn't get it. Especially for the price.

I’m noticing the same thing with the dewalt I just got, I’m thinking about smoothing out that lip with a 3D printed part, some epoxy, or even some hot glue to get rid of the lip in one spot to make it easier to empty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have the M18 backpack vacuum and I love it. The only thing I wish it had was some form of powered beater bar attachment.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Despair posted:

I’m noticing the same thing with the dewalt I just got, I’m thinking about smoothing out that lip with a 3D printed part, some epoxy, or even some hot glue to get rid of the lip in one spot to make it easier to empty.

That’s a solid idea, I may try that as well. Post back if it works!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dr. Despair posted:

If you're not vacuuming out your cordless vacuum with your corded shop vac are you even vacuuming?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you're not vacuuming out your cordless vacuum with your corded shop vac are you even vacuuming?

Xzibit...

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

But doctor, my cordless shop vac IS my corded shop vac!

nah I’ve got another one, too

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Around here we call those 'brooms'.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dr. Despair posted:

I've got one too, I did the hot glue option the first day I got it. Maybe in a year or two I'll want to peel it out and re-apply it because it'll probably get funky but it works great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need to spray some paint that is thicker than my pneumatic HVLP gun can really handle. Are there small (handheld) airless sprayers that are decent? This is for occasional use but I do want something that can spray a good finish as it’s on smooth wood/trim not drywall.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need to spray some paint that is thicker than my pneumatic HVLP gun can really handle. Are there small (handheld) airless sprayers that are decent? This is for occasional use but I do want something that can spray a good finish as it’s on smooth wood/trim not drywall.

To me, airless does not imply handheld, but, you know- a motorized unit. I think the typical air-driven cup gun (like automotive painters use) would have the same issue. Are you against thinning the paint? That's the typical solution.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have one of these that works pretty drat well. But if you're going for the sort of finish you would normally get from an HVLP, I haven't been able to quite dial that in yet (my windows/trim wound up with some faint orange peel), but have only used it with pretty heavy Benjamin Moore latex paint. That said, it was more or less equivalent to what I was able to get out of the HVLP for that paint after aggressive thinning.

It also puts out A LOT of paint, even with small tips. You would have much better control with an HVLP if you are doing detail work, but if you are just doing bulk linear trim or something, this thing would have you covered.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 25, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Speaking of paint sprayers, is a garden sprayer any good for deck water sealant? Or is it worth buying something made for paint?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ROJO posted:

I have one of these that works pretty drat well. But if you're going for the sort of finish you would normally get from an HVLP, I haven't been able to quite dial that in yet (my windows/trim wound up with some faint orange peel), but have only used it with pretty heavy Benjamin Moore latex paint. That said, it was more or less equivalent to what I was able to get out of the HVLP for that paint after aggressive thinning.

It also puts out A LOT of paint, even with small tips. You would have much better control with an HVLP if you are doing detail work, but if you are just doing bulk linear trim or something, this thing would have you covered.
Thanks that helps. I was looking at the DIY/home depot line of graco handhelds and didn't know there was a step up. Talked to the graco tech people and they were very helpful. How is the battery life? I usually prefer corded stuff but cordless could actually be really useful in a paint sprayer.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks that helps. I was looking at the DIY/home depot line of graco handhelds and didn't know there was a step up. Talked to the graco tech people and they were very helpful. How is the battery life? I usually prefer corded stuff but cordless could actually be really useful in a paint sprayer.

I never ran into battery problems with it - but I haven't ever had a use case that would likely cause me to run the battery dead (siding).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Someone help me find more of this hose. It's the hose for a Ryobi electric sprayer. I want 20-30 feet more of the hose but can't seem to find it online anywhere.

I measured it with my caliper and it's 8mm ID and 14mm OD. It's rubber and doesn't have any reinforcement inside from what I can see on the end.

e: forgot to attach picture

e2: Looks like it's probably a fuel hose?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 27, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just match the ID with any hose rated for 1Mpa/10bar/150PSI at your local hose retailing spot (hardware or auto parts store)

E: if you're in an English Imperial measuring system area of the world, 5/16" tubing should do yah.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 27, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Elviscat posted:

Just match the ID with any hose rated for 1Mpa/10bar/150PSI at your local hose retailing spot (hardware or auto parts store)

E: if you're in an English Imperial measuring system area of the world, 5/16" tubing should do yah.

That's what I figured out. It's equivalent to 9/16" OD and 5/16" ID. I pressure tested the sprayer and it gets up to about 140 PSI. I measured and ended up needing 35 feet of hose, so I went with a reinforced PVC hose from a bulk distributor online. It's rated to 208 PSI and has the same measurements, so it should work.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So if I want to start some basic woodworking and want to get a table say, is there a decent entry level table saw that will accept a dado blade for fun finger joint action?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

KKKLIP ART posted:

So if I want to start some basic woodworking and want to get a table say, is there a decent entry level table saw that will accept a dado blade for fun finger joint action?

One of the dewalt portables can take a dado and has a decent fence. Pretty much every other entry saw blows and is downright dangerous.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

If you can find one and If you have the room (it doesn't fold up and is somewhat large) I can't recommend the delta 10inch 15 amp table saw enough. It's a solid saw with a good table and wings big enough to put a melamine board on on for a router table.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/1xcW1Kj.gifv

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taps_on_bugle.ogg

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Time to pour out a 40 grit for the fallen.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure you could just replace the brushes

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NomNomNom posted:

One of the dewalt portables can take a dado and has a decent fence. Pretty much every other entry saw blows and is downright dangerous.

I think that this is a little less true than in the past. The Metabo one is quite good and also has a decent fence, and as much as I pause in writing this it looks as though Harbor Freight's new Hercules uses the rack and pinion fence and has a bigger table (OSHA required I think? So a lot of the portable manufacturers may be refreshing their models).

I've used the DeWalt as well as my Metabo and they're within epsilon of each other, IMO. And the Metabo goes on some wild sales sometimes--bought mine for $300, list price $569.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Well I don't have a direct use for it, though Elviscat and Kastein might, and the youtube vid that suggested it was very cheesy, but this looks pretty neat: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWASHRIR-Impact-Shears-Attachment/dp/B01BSAWORC

It turns a nut driver into powered tin snips. The guy demoing it had it motoring right along. Anyone else need to build or rebuild their HVAC on their own?

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Random question; thinking of getting a mini late that I can use in an apartment bathroom. Anyone have experience with the Taig Mini Lathe?.

I want to be able to turn plastic, wood and some metals with it and while the manufacture's site and youtube videos I've looked at make it seem well able to handle most materials up to some steels.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Queadlunn posted:

Random question; thinking of getting a mini late that I can use in an apartment bathroom. Anyone have experience with the Taig Mini Lathe?.

I want to be able to turn plastic, wood and some metals with it and while the manufacture's site and youtube videos I've looked at make it seem well able to handle most materials up to some steels.

I want a CNC mill I can take a shower with/in. What flood coolant mix is the best for conditioning? I use Mane ‘n Tailstock.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Vindolanda posted:

I want a CNC mill I can take a shower with/in. What flood coolant mix is the best for conditioning? I use Mane ‘n Tailstock.

We've got two bathrooms, one has become basically the catbox room , then the drillpress and bench sander as needed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Queadlunn posted:

Ask in the metalworking thread there's a bunch of machinists in there and they know about lathes:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

FWIW I've always heard good things about Taig's within their limitations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Queadlunn posted:

This lathe is tiny and expensive! I would recommend this one instead. Its not huge, it should fit in your bathroom just fine if you have a drill press in there. But more importantly its half the price and has twice the power. I personally own this model and it works great for small/medium type projects:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3421-3-2-Amp-Variable-Benchtop/dp/B07ZG9VTT2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ask in the metalworking thread there's a bunch of machinists in there and they know about lathes:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

FWIW I've always heard good things about Taig's within their limitations.

Good to know! I'll check in over there too then.

Rutibex posted:

This lathe is tiny and expensive! I would recommend this one instead. Its not huge, it should fit in your bathroom just fine if you have a drill press in there. But more importantly its half the price and has twice the power. I personally own this model and it works great for small/medium type projects:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3421-3-2-Amp-Variable-Benchtop/dp/B07ZG9VTT2/

That one sadly won't let me do metal work or proper milling. I'd love to have a wood lathe too some day but our limited space makes it really hard to have a functioning semblance of a workshop space...