Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
When it comes to special dialogue what really surprised me was finding out there's apparently some for if you summon a companion two rooms in a row. Like for Than:

quote:

(regular encounter - used in previous room)
Thanatos: Again?
Thanatos: Once more then!
Thanatos: Miss me, Zagreus?
Thanatos: Can't get enough of me?
Thanatos: More Death to go around.
Thanatos: Already?
Thanatos: Already huh.
Thanatos: I'm back.

Or Meg:

quote:

(regular encounter - used in previous room)
Megaera: Not had enough of me?
Megaera: What, again?
Megaera: More help already?
Megaera: What is it now?
Megaera: Tsch already?
Megaera: You miss me, Zagreus?
Megaera: I'm here again.
Megaera: What, already?

And now that I'm looking at it here's Meg's dialogue if you summon her for a Than encounter:

quote:

(during Thanatos encounter)
Megaera: Thanatos.
Megaera: Hi Than.
Megaera: How much help do you need?
Megaera: Don't you have enough help?
Megaera: You don't need me if he's here, Zagreus.
Megaera: Am I interrupting something?

:lol:

I've never heard these myself because why would you even summon two rooms in a row? You generally keep those for special occasions, after all. I guess on higher heats you might find yourself in trouble more often in regular rooms. But it's wild that they even bothered with these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Glare Seethe posted:

When it comes to special dialogue, there's apparently some for if you summon a companion two rooms in a row. Like for Than:

Or Meg:

And now that I'm looking at it here's Meg's dialogue if you summon her for a Than encounter:

:lol:

I've never heard these myself because why would you even summon two rooms in a row? You generally keep those for special occasions, after all. I guess on higher heats you might find yourself in trouble more often in regular rooms. But it's wild that they even bothered with these.

Is it two rooms in a row, or two encounters? I could easily see popping Meg on say, the Witches and then on the Hydra, or Butterfly Ball into Champions if they happen to spawn that way.

I reset the mirror to see that new Meg dialogue and it was halting just to see a new dialogue marker back in the House afterwards.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Half of Dracula posted:

Is it two rooms in a row, or two encounters? I could easily see popping Meg on say, the Witches and then on the Hydra, or Butterfly Ball into Champions if they happen to spawn that way.

It looks like it might be for two non-boss rooms in a row. If it's a boss or mini-boss you'd get that encounter's specific dialogue instead, I think. Not sure though!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Just got my first clear with the dodge chance gloves. Absolutely wrecked all the bosses. By the time I reached Hades the feather had given me like 34% dodge chance.

Does turning on God Mode have any negative effects or do anything else other than make you stronger?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MrMidnight posted:

Just got my first clear with the dodge chance gloves. Absolutely wrecked all the bosses. By the time I reached Hades the feather had given me like 34% dodge chance.

Does turning on God Mode have any negative effects or do anything else other than make you stronger?

God mode doesn't make you stronger so much as tougher. It adds 20% damage reduction and an additional 2% every time you die up to 80%, that's all

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I picked Hades up a month and a half ago to fill the void that world of warcraft left after my classic raid group went on hiatus, and goddamn is it fun. Finally unlocked the last steam achievement today:

And managed to keep a 71 win streak going while I completed all of the achievements and bumped the heat levels up with each weapon one by one.

The incremental progress and skill the game gets you to develop over time is so dang rewarding. During the first week playing it, I thought I would never reliably get past Elysium without a very lucky build. And a month later I feel like I couldn't possibly fail a run that's 10 heat or less.

Still have a few things left to do -- the big ones being the extreme measures version of the final boss and a 32 heat clear, but I've been too much of a coward to try those for fear of losing my streak :qq:. I also have a few weapon aspects left to unlock. But I think all of the story is finally done, which has been the main thing keeping me out of this thread since I didn't want accidental spoilers.

This game is a

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hello Sailor posted:

Now I'm kinda tempted to go troll the game's forum or reddit with made up dialogue triggers. "Hey guys, there's special dialogue if you lose to the end boss 100 times before getting your first win"
"my bad, I actually lost 123 times, I just assumed the minimum was 100"

Yeah, that's not going to work so well, the game script is actually in publicly viewable lua files.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm finally getting around to this. Is there a worthwhile reward for beating the entire thing without dying to end up back at the starting pool, or does it pull a Demon's Souls Dragon God if you get too far during the "prologue"?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 29, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I'm finally getting around to this. Is there a worthwhile reward for beating the entire thing without dying to end up back at the starting pool, or does it pull a Demons' Souls Dragon God if you get too far during the "prologue"?

I don't know what the Dragon God is but here's the gist. After you beat the final boss, instead of the scene you normally see when beating it for the first time, instead there is special bit of dialogue basically saying "...but you don't have enough context to understand what happened next, so please bear with us and pretend you died back there" and then you go back to the starting pool.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I've done over 70 runs of this game and I just figured out that you can read the details of your boons if you hit the minus button. I wish I'd known this tens of hours ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also it’s entirely possible to beat the game on your first ever run but holy gently caress it’s improbable since lol at a new player knowing to do the speed run strat of gunning for Merciful End and base level Zag suuuucks.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

Still have a few things left to do -- the big ones being the extreme measures version of the final boss and a 32 heat clear, but I've been too much of a coward to try those for fear of losing my streak :qq:. I also have a few weapon aspects left to unlock. But I think all of the story is finally done, which has been the main thing keeping me out of this thread since I didn't want accidental spoilers.

This game is a

I recommend doing either but not both in the same run to maximise your chances of keeping your win streak alive!

I also recommend Zag Fists + All The Dodge to maximise safety in the run.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ariong posted:

I don't know what the Dragon God is but here's the gist. After you beat the final boss, instead of the scene you normally see when beating it for the first time, instead there is special bit of dialogue basically saying "...but you don't have enough context to understand what happened next, so please bear with us and pretend you died back there" and then you go back to the starting pool.
Demon's Souls had a short opening level followed by a basic boss (Vanguard) that was supposed to kill you as an introduction to the game's concept of dying. It's entirely possible to beat Vanguard (hundreds of times more likely than walking out of your first Hades run, based on my performance) at which point you would walk into a room where Dragon God, one of the game's bosses who is probably exactly what you're picturing after hearing that name, instagib-punches you and you die anyway.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2021

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Last Celebration posted:

Also it’s entirely possible to beat the game on your first ever run but holy gently caress it’s improbable since lol at a new player knowing to do the speed run strat of gunning for Merciful End and base level Zag suuuucks.

you can see the devs commentate a speedrun of someone doing exactly that here:

https://youtu.be/VKepf4jyn4o

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Artelier posted:

I recommend doing either but not both in the same run to maximise your chances of keeping your win streak alive!

I also recommend Zag Fists + All The Dodge to maximise safety in the run.

I’ve never tried that combo, thanks for the tip. I actually did the extreme measures final fight today on a 15 heat run with the chiron bow, and it went fine. Only used one DD charge during the run. I like having a ranged weapon to learn new fights since I can watch the patterns from a distance without having to stop doing damage.

Beating that fight unlocked the last song I had left to buy for Orpheus’s jukebox, so that was cool.

32 heat is next on my agenda. Not sure how I’m gonna approach that. I’ve never gone over 16 so far, so it’ll be a big step up.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Turned off the mirror upgrades to get that Meg dialogue people have been talking about and made it all the way to Theseus with the spear, a weapon I've never been good with.

The takeaway I had from doing this was that the mirror upgrades have made me play sloppier? No death defiance and limited healing made me really feel all the damage I took and I take a lot more than I should. I might actually keep playing with the mirror off for a while to train myself to be less sloppy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I managed to forget to give nectar to Artemis and I haven't seen her boons at all in like five runs. Is there any way to encourage her boons to spawn or do I just need to wait for the gods to show their favor?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Nessus posted:

I managed to forget to give nectar to Artemis and I haven't seen her boons at all in like five runs. Is there any way to encourage her boons to spawn or do I just need to wait for the gods to show their favor?

There is, but it requires having given her nectar at least once so...

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nessus posted:

The first four gods you get boons from get locked in for the run. If you stick to three gods then Artemis can show up on any boon room.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BisbyWorl posted:

The first four gods you get boons from get locked in for the run. If you stick to three gods then Artemis can show up on any boon room.
I never noticed that! Probably because I remember reading Hermes doesn't count as one of them for this purpose.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BisbyWorl posted:

Presumably the keepsakes can override that? I swear I've had everyone but Zeus in a single run before, back when I was still fulfilling prophecies and overwhelmingly favored boons over poms.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hello Sailor posted:

Presumably the keepsakes can override that? I swear I've had everyone but Zeus in a single run before, back when I was still fulfilling prophecies and overwhelmingly favored boons over poms.

If you get four gods by the end of Tartarus, your keepsakes will give you gods 5, 6 and 7 if you keep changing them up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wow the amount of voice acting they must have had to do to account for all the god interactions and all the possible deaths... or am I just being fooled by a system that's not as interconnected as I think?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Shumagorath posted:

Wow the amount of voice acting they must have had to do to account for all the god interactions and all the possible deaths... or am I just being fooled by a system that's not as interconnected as I think?

An explicit design goal was to have enough dialogue that you wouldn't notice the seams when people started repeating themselves.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It does seem there's a shitload of dialogue. Just loads and loads. I saw a friend doing some higher heats and he was still getting fresh dialogue in home base.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

It does seem there's a shitload of dialogue. Just loads and loads. I saw a friend doing some higher heats and he was still getting fresh dialogue in home base.

Yeah every time I die and come back I think "there's no way there's new dialogue" and the game proves me wrong. Pretty incredible.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Somewhere around my 50th win, I got an ending implying that they ran out of ways to kill me:

Since then I've gotten a few of my favorite endings repeated, including slipping on a banana peel, running into a tunnel entrance painted on a wall, getting run over by a chariot, and it was all a dream.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Any tips on dealing with the poison satyrs and rats in the final area? They make me want to tear my loving hair out. For as good as this game is overall it's plagued by some astonishingly irritating design decisions and enemy encounters that definitely get overshadowed by how good the presentation is. Just had a 10 win streak ruined, wiped out all my death defiances, all because these stupid loving poison dudes. So incredibly unfun to fight. :mad:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any tips on dealing with the poison satyrs and rats in the final area? They make me want to tear my loving hair out. For as good as this game is overall it's plagued by some astonishingly irritating design decisions and enemy encounters that definitely get overshadowed by how good the presentation is. Just had a 10 win streak ruined, wiped out all my death defiances, all because these stupid loving poison dudes. So incredibly unfun to fight. :mad:
I hate them so much. Deflect those little shits' poison right back at them with Athena boons. Otherwise I think the only thing you can do is learn the timing of their nasty spit attack and dodge out of the way of the projectile. For the rats, kill 'em from a distance.

Also hi thread, I am fully obsessed with this game after having picked it up a few months ago, thinking "eh I don't like roguelikes but I may as well try it"... then after unlocking almost everything on my regular save, I've made my Hell Mode file and am joyfully blitzing through that. There are a lot of little things I'm appreciating more as I go through it a second time.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

If you're having trouble with the satyrs and rats, one thing I'd suggest is equipping Poseidon's keepsake for the Tartarus or Asphodel section so you can get a good knockback boon by the time you make it to the final area. (Then switch to something more helpful like the lucky tooth or whatever you prefer after Elysium.) My favorite knockback choice is the cast, but it depends on the weapon you're using and your play style -- it might also be a good candidate on the special attack for some weapons. Not only will it disrupt their attacks, but you can also use it to knock them out of the slime if you need to get in close. Other than that, just keep dodging around as much as you can. In the final chamber of each wing, you may need to kite around the room and make the enemies follow you if too much of one area gets covered in slime.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You do know you can cure the poison by drinking from the pools right?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any tips on dealing with the poison satyrs and rats in the final area?

Hit them fast and hard, ideally with something that will slow them down if it doesn't kill them outright. Then hide behind something or dodge their attack and hit them again.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The satyrs can be stunlocked, the rats are skow

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but what is y'all's least favorite region? Mine is easily Asphodel, Eurydice rules but she can't make up for the copious amounts of lava that I hate.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stroop There It Is posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but what is y'all's least favorite region? Mine is easily Asphodel, Eurydice rules but she can't make up for the copious amounts of lava that I hate.

Elysium. When one of those rear end in a top hat seedlings regenerates it's the worst feeling in the underworld.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The hallways with the satyrs, and all the traps that I dash into when trying to avoid the satyr spit. Don't know how long it's going to take, either.

Favorite is the hydra fight.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think being hit in melee (while unarmoured) interrupts the satyr spit?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Just be really aggressive with the satyrs and if you get poisoned dash immediately to the antidote pool and you'll only take like 2 damage. You should know when they'll spit by the audio cue but I find it better just to murder them and don't even mind the chance that you'll get tagged for a tiny bit of damage. The Satyrs get you by making you panic and gently caress around.

I died to the Satyrs once, the first time I got there. After that they've been chumps.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

All things equal, I always kill the spinning laser crystals first, then satyrs, then the big rats or the trashcans that shoot grenades last. Of course, I also move around the room to get out of slime if I have to, which sometimes means a different priority depending on what's in range and safe to attack. Just keep moving and dashing as much as you can, and any projectiles from across the room are likely to miss you.

In the small chambers I don't even bother drinking the pool if I get poisoned because you get cured automatically when the last enemy dies, and it only takes a couple seconds to clear those rooms if you're really aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

The hallways with the satyrs, and all the traps that I dash into when trying to avoid the satyr spit. Don't know how long it's going to take, either.

Favorite is the hydra fight.
Fair, but Poseidon-dashing around those little rooms bashing everything into walls in a flurry of mayhem is so fun!

Lernie is probably the boss fight I most enjoy too, there's something very satisfying about the heads exploding when you kill 'em. ...Except for the EM version, because, well, more lava, see previous post.

One thing I very much enjoy about this game is how many times boss fights made me go "you have GOT to be loving kidding me!" and get flattened the first time I saw a move or new version, and thinking I could never possibly handle that bullshit, then actually managing to get through it.

Bad Purchase posted:

Elysium. When one of those rear end in a top hat seedlings regenerates it's the worst feeling in the underworld.
This is very true lol, especially when it's one of the shield guys. Seeing one of them spinning instantly infuriates me.