Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

Can I give this to my budgies? I know grit is a big no no for budgies, but this isn't stone grit. It's crushed oyster shell, and has parakeets on the list of birds you can give it to. I only ask because my two idiots don't use the cuttlebone, and one is moulting, so the extra calcium would help. I imagine it's no worse than when I smush up an egg and it's shell to give them?

it seems reasonable? i've never seen this product before, but it sounds like your analysis is correct. if your birds eat egg occasionally though and you're already giving them the eggshells it may not be necessary to purchase an extra product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

it seems reasonable? i've never seen this product before, but it sounds like your analysis is correct. if your birds eat egg occasionally though and you're already giving them the eggshells it may not be necessary to purchase an extra product.

I'd agree with this. I haven't heard of it before but it shouldn't be any different than giving them eggshells. I'm open to being corrected, though.

I was curious about the anise oil and apparently that's a flavour a lot of birds really like, so maybe I should try giving mine some anise seed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

I am truly slain. Is that a pacific parrotlet?

Definitely a parrotlet, which rival linnies in cuteness per ounce
they are decent talkers and have the best voice though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LykmqipysWw

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I was having a stressful morning at work but in my lunch break at the park I sat down to feed some magpies, and three juveniles clambered up on to my legs to be fed

Turned my day around completely :kimchi:

Sorry I don't have pictures but they always seem a bit more skittish when I have my phone out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

I was having a stressful morning at work but in my lunch break at the park I sat down to feed some magpies, and three juveniles clambered up on to my legs to be fed

Turned my day around completely :kimchi:

Sorry I don't have pictures but they always seem a bit more skittish when I have my phone out.

:kimchi: bird friens

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

when i get the train to my lecture once a week i usually sit in this park right next to the building and eat a breakfast bar or something
theres usually a few pigeons hanging around snackin on things on the floor

today two of em got pretty close, was nice

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Quite possibly the finest griffon ever devised :love: if you enjoy a mount that contact calls constantly, prioritizes eating seeds over all else, and may employ an explosive "oh poo poo I'm a prey animal?!" defensive response at any moment

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I wish this was my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WA-oneFBo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cell posted:

We tested two parrot species in an instrumental-helping paradigm involving “token transfer.” Here, actors could provide tokens to their neighbor, who could exchange them with an experimenter for food. To verify whether the parrots understood the task’s contingencies, we systematically varied the presence of a partner and the possibility for exchange. We found that African grey parrots voluntarily and spontaneously transferred tokens to conspecific partners, whereas significantly fewer transfers occurred in the control conditions. Transfers were affected by the strength of the dyads’ affiliation and partially by the receivers’ attention-getting behaviors. Furthermore, the birds reciprocated the help once the roles were reversed. Blue-headed macaws, in contrast, transferred hardly any tokens. Species differences in social tolerance might explain this discrepancy. These findings show that instrumental helping based on a prosocial attitude, accompanied but potentially not sustained by reciprocity, is present in parrots, suggesting that this capacity evolved convergently in this avian group and mammals.

Parrots Voluntarily Help Each Other to Obtain Food Rewards
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(19)31469-1

basically they taught parrots to use tokens as a currency, then gave one parrot ten tokens and one parrot one token. the tokens were the way by wish the parrots could get food. the parrot with lots of tokens would then share its tokens with the parrot who only had one so that it could get food. macaws transferred few, whereas greys transferred tokens "spontaneously and voluntarily" to their buddies.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mediaphage posted:

basically they taught parrots to use tokens as a currency, then gave one parrot ten tokens and one parrot one token. the tokens were the way by wish the parrots could get food. the parrot with lots of tokens would then share its tokens with the parrot who only had one so that it could get food. macaws transferred few, whereas greys transferred tokens "spontaneously and voluntarily" to their buddies.

comrade grey

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hbag posted:

comrade grey

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's fine if I let Chick sleep on top of the seagrass hammock, right? She chills on the top roof bit, sorta tucked in between the cage bars / cage cover and the net underneath. I don't know if she prefers sleeping there because it's cozy, or because she's nervous? Wasabi alternates between sleeping on the roof and sleeping on the perch. Trying to decide if I should perhaps remove the hammock at night, in case it's not good for their feet or something. Or move it lower than the sleeping perch (which is as high as possible in the cage).

I wake up every morning to her blearily staring back at me from the top of the hammock, and it always seemed strange to me. Kinda cramped, but then the whole feeling warm and cozy part had me leave things as they were. They're both absolutely addicted to the hammocks in the day though, and will spend most of their playtime inside it or on top of it scurrying about.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nah my birds do this too. they like being small and cozy especially at night.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://twitter.com/VancouverSun/status/1375436733534322694

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

What I'm taking away from this is that I can and should spend 10% of my salary per month on bird feeders. :eng101:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tfBeVzD4EA

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

nah my birds do this too. they like being small and cozy especially at night.

Okay awesome. Behold, the three stages of bird:

Also, final ever cage update. Everyone's super happy. I now pretty much leave the cage door open all day. They'll evenly split their time between outside play and playtime in the cage. There have been times where they prefer not leaving the cage because there's just so much more to do in it. This is the Golden Age of birdkeeping. Bedtime is a doddle now as well, and putting them in the cage whenever is not an issue at all. Sometimes I'll get the cheeky sprint-up-the-arm because they want to cuddle against my neck, but once I put them next to the hammocks they pretty much jump straight off. Life's so much better now, no weird stressful behaviour or squeezing against the bars. Worst that'll happen is Chick will angrily stare at me through the bars and side shuffle on the perch, demanding to be let out, but if I don't respond, she'll potter off and busy herself with tearing chunks out of kabobs or chirping around in the hammock.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

... Ah yes, I knew my decision to blow off responsibilities and go birding in the snow this morning was a good one.

(a red-breasted nuthatch, a pileated woodpecker, a gang of dark eyed juncos, and the ubiquitous black capped chickadees, so nothing very exciting, but I still had a good hike.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Okay awesome. Behold, the three stages of bird:

Also, final ever cage update. Everyone's super happy. I now pretty much leave the cage door open all day. They'll evenly split their time between outside play and playtime in the cage. There have been times where they prefer not leaving the cage because there's just so much more to do in it. This is the Golden Age of birdkeeping. Bedtime is a doddle now as well, and putting them in the cage whenever is not an issue at all. Sometimes I'll get the cheeky sprint-up-the-arm because they want to cuddle against my neck, but once I put them next to the hammocks they pretty much jump straight off. Life's so much better now, no weird stressful behaviour or squeezing against the bars. Worst that'll happen is Chick will angrily stare at me through the bars and side shuffle on the perch, demanding to be let out, but if I don't respond, she'll potter off and busy herself with tearing chunks out of kabobs or chirping around in the hammock.

really happy to hear this. adorable pics :kimchi:

RoboRodent posted:

... Ah yes, I knew my decision to blow off responsibilities and go birding in the snow this morning was a good one.

(a red-breasted nuthatch, a pileated woodpecker, a gang of dark eyed juncos, and the ubiquitous black capped chickadees, so nothing very exciting, but I still had a good hike.)

i love chickadees. ours will buzz me if i go too long without refilling the feeders.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh. oh thank you. no, no. you’re not in the way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I wish I could just leave Serra’s cage door open. The loves to be Floor Bird, which isn’t great when I can’t suddenly adjust course due to Bad Legs.

She is also the type of bird who would somehow figure out how to load and shoot my shotgun if I didn’t watch her.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Yes, this tracks. In my house the most important rule, strictly enforced by dancing back and forth with insistent chirping, is Share It With The Parrot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Yes, this tracks. In my house the most important rule, strictly enforced by dancing back and forth with insistent chirping, is Share It With The Parrot.

it kills me how much they realize what humans eating food is / means. like, they understand it conceptually and will either demand to share or at the least start eating their own food as a social signal.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

it kills me how much they realize what humans eating food is / means. like, they understand it conceptually and will either demand to share or at the least start eating their own food as a social signal.

Mine demand a taste, and sometimes they taste it and reject it as being gross and go eat their own food, because then we're still eating together.

Sera likes yogurt, of all things.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It's a bad look when you have guests over and the budgie is trying to eat everyones pizza and loses his poo poo (max screaming while upside down) when caged because of it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

birds sound so loving precious and i would love to have some but i am not at all responsible enough to look after them and it wouldnt be fair to them so im going to wait until ive sorted my poo poo out

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Caught some of the wild parrots in San Diego going bonkers earlier today. (sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/Va87XRJ.mp4

Edit: Fixed, I uploaded from mobile and forgot to hit the unmute.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 27, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's no sound on that video.

If you're on desktop you can't just drag-and-drop the video file because imgur has terrible UI
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003632072-How-to-Upload-Video

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 27, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

GotLag posted:

There's no sound on that video.

If you're on desktop you can't just drag-and-drop the video file because imgur has terrible UI
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003632072-How-to-Upload-Video

imgur is g o o d and only has audio for videos if you eight click them and click "view video"
if theyre embedded they just act like gifs

because yknow
imgur

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

Mine demand a taste, and sometimes they taste it and reject it as being gross and go eat their own food, because then we're still eating together.

mochi is lookin chunky and not getting any people treats right now. I have to eat my yogurt in the kitchen in shame while someone clicks from behind the wall or wait for him to go to bed

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Anyone here recognize the species? It's some kind of wood nesting duck but the colors don't match a wood duck.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, hard to say from this angle, but I'd still say wood duck based on what I can see. Just, out of breeding plumage.

Though it's the wrong time of year for that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What's their juvenile plumage, could it be that?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

And the female:

(I spent $25 on this Sibley app years ago and then they discontinued it and made a new app and when I replace this phone guess I just entirely lose it, huh, that'll be great.)

I dunno. It has the look of a wood duck even if the colours aren't right, and nothing really looks like a wood duck. A very masculine hen with some indeterminate plumage? A young drake that hasn't really come into his adult breeding plumage yet?

Edit: let it be said that I even went, well what else is in the genus Aix, and it turns out that it's just wood ducks and mandarin ducks. I'm stumped. At least without a better picture.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 27, 2021

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

RoboRodent posted:

Yes, just as you and mediaphage said. Sinbad's usual ritual is begging for whatever I'm eating, getting some if it's bird-safe, and then going to eat from his dish as a social activity. It's fascinating compared to say dogs that will beg for food but won't engage in social dining (far as I've seen anyway).

Sinbad also loves yogurt by the way, and ice cream when he gets it. Quite the dairy fan for a creature that would surely never get anything close in the wild. I'm starting to wonder if he likes earwax too based on how nuts he's going poking around my ear as I type this...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If you offer Pookie something to eat that she's just not in the mood for, or is too full to eat, she'll often mime taking a bite and then make exaggerated chewing noises - it 100% reads as her appreciating the offer, but no thank you. :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

If you offer Pookie something to eat that she's just not in the mood for, or is too full to eat, she'll often mime taking a bite and then make exaggerated chewing noises - it 100% reads as her appreciating the offer, but no thank you. :3:

lmao that’s hilarious.

often grace will be locked up while alex is out and she has developed what i call a tattle tweet. if he is flying up to a place he isn’t supposed to be (bookcase, coat rack, mostly, for obvious reasons) she yells until we come get him.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lmao that’s hilarious.

often grace will be locked up while alex is out and she has developed what i call a tattle tweet. if he is flying up to a place he isn’t supposed to be (bookcase, coat rack, mostly, for obvious reasons) she yells until we come get him.

Ozzy does this every time Sera starts exploring into the kitchen or down the hallway.

Ozzy's just kind of a bossy bitch, honestly.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

SuperKlaus posted:

Yes, just as you and mediaphage said. Sinbad's usual ritual is begging for whatever I'm eating, getting some if it's bird-safe, and then going to eat from his dish as a social activity. It's fascinating compared to say dogs that will beg for food but won't engage in social dining (far as I've seen anyway).

So when I was a kid, we did have budgies and cats in the same house (as well as snakes, frogs, toads, geckos...).

Supper time was fun because we'd all be sitting at the table, then my mom would prepare a plate of people food for the cats (mom cutting porkchops into small pieces and putting gravy and garnish to make it pretty, lol) and then we'd bring the budgies into the kitchen as well, we had a little nook that fit the cage perfectly.

Our female budgie loved dinner time. She'd climb to the top of her cage and slide down the bars out of excitement and for attention before she'd start eating from her feeder.

Just a little happy memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

So when I was a kid, we did have budgies and cats in the same house (as well as snakes, frogs, toads, geckos...).

Supper time was fun because we'd all be sitting at the table, then my mom would prepare a plate of people food for the cats (mom cutting porkchops into small pieces and putting gravy and garnish to make it pretty, lol) and then we'd bring the budgies into the kitchen as well, we had a little nook that fit the cage perfectly.

Our female budgie loved dinner time. She'd climb to the top of her cage and slide down the bars out of excitement and for attention before she'd start eating from her feeder.

Just a little happy memory.

that’s adorable. thanks for sharing. :)