Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay the newest Nvidia patch has fixed my crashing issues so I'm playing this for the first time but holy gently caress this game is opaque as hell, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I did the "Terran Cadet" start and right after the initial fight you are kind of left on your own to find missions for half an hour or something- but of the 5 stations I flew to, none had missions? I think? Aren't they supposed to flash yellow if they have missions or something? Then I finally found a mission but it was "Shoot this trader and bring me the item they drop, this is probably criminal so shoot any beacons." I did exactly that, and the crime still got reported to the sector, and now I'm hostile with the Terrans and not allowed to dock and turn in the dropped item. I'm probably just going to abandon and restart because this feels like a completely wasted hour. Am I just an idiot? Am I playing this entirely wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay the newest Nvidia patch has fixed my crashing issues so I'm playing this for the first time but holy gently caress this game is opaque as hell, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I did the "Terran Cadet" start and right after the initial fight you are kind of left on your own to find missions for half an hour or something- but of the 5 stations I flew to, none had missions? I think? Aren't they supposed to flash yellow if they have missions or something? Then I finally found a mission but it was "Shoot this trader and bring me the item they drop, this is probably criminal so shoot any beacons." I did exactly that, and the crime still got reported to the sector, and now I'm hostile with the Terrans and not allowed to dock and turn in the dropped item. I'm probably just going to abandon and restart because this feels like a completely wasted hour. Am I just an idiot? Am I playing this entirely wrong?

Usually one crime won't screw your rep too badly There is a difference between temporary local rep loss and your global rep. You may need to vacate the area or sector to let the pissed off stations or ships to cool down and forget you just murdered Barry in cold blood.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Terrible ship stats wise, but holly hell, this bridge is amazing. When you think about the fact this this is the front of the ship and its a front line destroyer, i dont think having a bridge like that is a smart idea...

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay the newest Nvidia patch has fixed my crashing issues so I'm playing this for the first time but holy gently caress this game is opaque as hell, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

this is how the game is all throughout tbh. It's menus and context based orders hidden within odd pages and obtuse ui. But somehow everything works and there is always some solution. Also there is very little in the was of screwing the player over other than a geometry glitch or bug. Station missions are random, so your best bet is to go to high density sectors where lots of stations congregate to have a higher chance of missions. But those really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 27, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a reason why autopilot is going at 33% max travel speed? That's really annoying.

Someone mentioned a trick to extend trading range for a solar factory in Mercury to make a load of cash, what was it? My baby one only has two panels right now but want to make it actually useful at some point, and it's all I've got at the moment since my emps and hacking aren't getting me many blueprints yet

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

emps and hacking aren't getting me many blueprints yet

Emps have a 100% chance to get blueprints as long as you have the relevant research done. You have to drop on the correct module that you want, not just the station, and you get 4 signals where one gives your the blueprint and another one gives you a permanent trade subscription.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've done all the hack research, I just get trade subscriptions on the fourth leak, no blueprints or anything else. I guess I can't get the ones I was aiming for

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a reason why autopilot is going at 33% max travel speed? That's really annoying.

Assuming you're at the start of Terran Cadet start, it's because that one dude is still considered your wingmate when you're within a jump or two of Asteroid Belt, and AP will only warp at the slowest wingmate speed. Just comm him and tell him to gently caress off when he shows up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yep that's it lol

E: OK I see how stations trade, so I have a solar farm in Mercury and a trading post in Mars. How do I get my trader to ferry energy cells to Mars automatically? I can only seem to if I buy them from myself, but then I can't sell them, it defaults to build storage on the post. I want to sell them in Mars for a bigger range eventually. I just want it to loop from the farm in Mercury to drop off in Mars for the station to sell

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 27, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

staberind posted:

I also have the "learnallthethings" mod so I can get decent pilots/crew whatever and a better pace than the base games glacial pace.
Oh,
you can switch the jobs of the crew of your ships by going to info/crew, and reducing the slider from x, and increasing the slider on y, then hitting ok, they will also keep their level, so free 5 star marines from a bunch of grubby ship staff is possible.
Do marines learn to marine better in the base game without actually doing boarding actions?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep that's it lol

E: OK I see how stations trade, so I have a solar farm in Mercury and a trading post in Mars. How do I get my trader to ferry energy cells to Mars automatically? I can only seem to if I buy them from myself, but then I can't sell them, it defaults to build storage on the post. I want to sell them in Mars for a bigger range eventually. I just want it to loop from the farm in Mercury to drop off in Mars for the station to sell

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2013772865&searchtext=warehouse This does exactly what you're asking for, just use the supply mule setting on the system as the target and lower the player buy mod so it prefers to buy from your own stuff. I don't think vanilla has a setting where you can set an entire system as a sell point. You might be able to wrangle autotrader with a very small jump range, but you can't force it to buy from one station in particular. Though honestly energy cells are so cheap and abundant that the AI never really buys them at a decent profit. From my own experience, the best first station in Terran space is a computronic substrate in somewhere like Mars or Jupiter, you'll need to feed it an assload of minerals but CS sells for thousands and is used in both stations and ships.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

Terrible ship stats wise, but holly hell, this bridge is amazing. When you think about the fact this this is the front of the ship and its a front line destroyer, i dont think having a bridge like that is a smart idea...
The Paranid destroyer I assume?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

That was fixed in the hotfix yesterday. It was possible to glitch it if you used repair laser on 2 or 7 when covered and showing repair icon. It would flip the other switches, but would not change itself and still have the repair icon, this wouldn't happen every time though, so it was possible to get 1/2 or 7/8 (or if you're super dumb like me, both pairs), in alternate states, which IS unsolvable.
Yeah, fair enough.

Also, you get to keep the Owl, and if you fully kit it out with mods it is AMAZINGLY fast - it might be the VRO mod, but I'm doing 16000ms in travel mode. Who needs superhighways? :coolbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Let's say I found an Osprey that fell off the back of a truck. How would I want to kit it out?

EDIT: Whyyyyy am I not getting the blueprint for refined metal production? i keep getting "nothing" or "some kind of temporary thing i dont' care about".

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 27, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The Paranid destroyer I assume?

it's every teladi L or XL ship interior

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Taerkar posted:

Do you have enough construction drones? That limits ship construction in a fabrication bay. I think it's 5/10/20/40, but I might be mistaken of the larger classes.

Well drat. I though construction drones were just used by builder ships to make stations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ardryn posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2013772865&searchtext=warehouse This does exactly what you're asking for, just use the supply mule setting on the system as the target and lower the player buy mod so it prefers to buy from your own stuff. I don't think vanilla has a setting where you can set an entire system as a sell point. You might be able to wrangle autotrader with a very small jump range, but you can't force it to buy from one station in particular. Though honestly energy cells are so cheap and abundant that the AI never really buys them at a decent profit. From my own experience, the best first station in Terran space is a computronic substrate in somewhere like Mars or Jupiter, you'll need to feed it an assload of minerals but CS sells for thousands and is used in both stations and ships.

Guess it's mod time then! It's annoying the game can't just do this though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oh the blueprint for refined metal is only like 250k

Gues I need to figure out where to put my first (non HQ) station then

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

oh the blueprint for refined metal is only like 250k

Gues I need to figure out where to put my first (non HQ) station then

there are probably better spots but i put one in argon prime and it did well. i put it there because it's safe and right by the highway

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think there's a good mining sector near Argon Prime too.

Is there a calculator for how many energy cell production modules or whatever i need to support various configurations of things? How many Refined Metal modules do i need ot keep an hull plate module running at full speed, etc.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zereth posted:

I think there's a good mining sector near Argon Prime too.

Is there a calculator for how many energy cell production modules or whatever i need to support various configurations of things? How many Refined Metal modules do i need ot keep an hull plate module running at full speed, etc.

http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-calculator

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah the reach is right next to argon Prime and is full of ore.

With workforce extra production I think you can do 1 graphene, 4 refined metals and 10 hull parts and have a nearly perfect ratio.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

queeb posted:

Yeah the reach is right next to argon Prime and is full of ore.

With workforce extra production I think you can do 1 graphene, 4 refined metals and 10 hull parts and have a nearly perfect ratio.
... Well i'd need to build up to that but the calculator says i should be able to afford a couple of hull part modules, one energy cell, one graphene, one metal, and one l habita-

wait, that's a lot of excess energy cell production. Could i set prices on that dirt cheap so it doesn't fill up space i need for the hull parts? And does it automatically feed the stuff into higher level production before dumping the excess into the inventory?

EDIT: or put it in another station and maybe get that mod mentioned earlier and set a freighter to keeping the refinery supplied.

Is there a station type which typically has L container Storage modules on it?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 27, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's X and all hut it's insane I needed that mod just to move resources from a to b without screwing with blacklists (which didn't work lol the station bought from everyone but me as well) and prices. Oh well, x3 wasn't so different

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait I think I still don't have a liquid storage module

ugh guess i'll have to leave off the graphene for now since i should get this built and making me money before I bum around the galaxy for ages lookign for leaks

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Aren't S storage module blueprints like 400k a pop?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

But I want a lot of storage! :mad:

EDIT: also I don't have a ton of money left after the estimate for the station the calculator gives and I might need to buy more ships to keep it full of ore and methane.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 27, 2021

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did I mess up by putting a refined metal fab in grand exchange instead of teladianium?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Any way to fire my builder once they've started? This one is taking almost 30 minutes per module, and "cancel builder assignment" is grayed out. With 72 modules and around 50 connection structures this extra time is adding up. I have about 50 modules left unbuilt so it's still worth it to switch if possible.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Did I mess up by putting a refined metal fab in grand exchange instead of teladianium?

There are still some Argons and Paranid flying around there. Plus if you get your manager up to 2-3 stars your traders should be able to sell within those jumps. Then you can just slap on some hull production on top and that will sell wherever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If you put it in the southeast part there's like, two very quick hop to the main highway loop. Also yes, everybody needs the same kind of Hull parts.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
The superhighways don't actually count as jumps, so wherever it is in Grand Exchange will work the same for the station traders.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

So for a stupid person like me how does this mod compare with the "Trade for commander" order?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
After 200 hours I just realized how comicaly easy it is to capture a ship.

Nicked an Asgard with 4 Cobra/Falx worth of marines and my Terran standing barely diped, terran ships in the sector did nothing.
It feel weird considering how ridiculously hard it is to obtain one the legitimate way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sloppy portmanteau posted:

The superhighways don't actually count as jumps, so wherever it is in Grand Exchange will work the same for the station traders.
They still need to fly there, though, while the southeast gate into... wherever it is is like five feet from the gate into paranid space.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i found some lockboxes and i guess some of the stuff is black market or something? it's red in my inventory. but they are worth a lot (security slicers?).

where can I go sell them? how do i find a black market station or whatever?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

what the gently caress, destroying the xenon defense platform doesn't count as destroying the turrets on it. THIS IS BULLSHIT :mad:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tabletops posted:

i found some lockboxes and i guess some of the stuff is black market or something? it's red in my inventory. but they are worth a lot (security slicers?).

where can I go sell them? how do i find a black market station or whatever?

The slicers are useful for pirate mission which require you to disable stations services or for your own needs. You craft them in the work bench with mats you find from wreckage and lockboxes. Not really worth it to sell it. Best to find some missions to use it on tho, a disable station service mission is around 300k creds.

Black market stations are stations with the two sword icons, usually called pirate stations. On the other hand you can find signals on stations in scanning mode, that may eventually give you a mission to open up the black market in that specific station.

Also doesn't matter if you have illegal goods in your hold. You can just run away from the cops very easily with no rep hit.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ughhhh posted:

The slicers are useful for pirate mission which require you to disable stations services or for your own needs. You craft them in the work bench with mats you find from wreckage and lockboxes. Not really worth it to sell it. Best to find some missions to use it on tho, a disable station service mission is around 300k creds.

Black market stations are stations with the two sword icons, usually called pirate stations. On the other hand you can find signals on stations in scanning mode, that may eventually give you a mission to open up the black market in that specific station.

Also doesn't matter if you have illegal goods in your hold. You can just run away from the cops very easily with no rep hit.

ah ok. I have like 5000 credits and nothing else really so I was hoping to sell this stuff to make some money so I can uhh do something I guess, maybe buy some mining gear and try that out.

I'm in grand exchange 3 right now, do I basically have to wander around blind to find a pirate station?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Pretty sure you can't sell slicers/bypassers/decryptors, only their crafting components.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

You can sell them in black markets and pirate bases.

Look for missions in system. They should get you started, or just hang around a station until some criminals pop up (they are in civilian vehicles traversing the station). Or just do the main plot/travel the super highway for some map info. Money will roll in quick and you can quickly get yourself a miner to auto mine for passive income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ughhhh posted:

You can sell them in black markets and pirate bases.

Look for missions in system. They should get you started, or just hang around a station until some criminals pop up (they are in civilian vehicles traversing the station). Or just do the main plot/travel the super highway for some map info. Money will roll in quick and you can quickly get yourself a miner to auto mine for passive income.

my main plot mission right now is to get the uhh big station running and build a dock which takes a lot of credits :(