Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The term you're looking for is thin provisioning. Not sure if it can be done with VMWare Player though. Can't really add cores ad hoc while the machine is running as far as I'm aware. I've only seen it done with storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
You can add cores and ram to a running machine in ESXi if that functionality was enabled before booting the vm, but I don't know about vmware player.
Anyway, the right way to do it would be to limit the mhz reservation to limit cpu usage, but again, not sure if that functionality is in player

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 18, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I am looking for a good alternative to Lastpass, since it has recently ceased supporting multiple types of devices for free users and also ceased supporting Paypal payments. Since I do not have a credit card anymore and am also not planning to get one just for the sake of paying those morons, I need an alternative of some sort. If someone could recommend me something good and safe that support multiple-device synchronization, that would be great. If it can easily import passwords from Lastpass, that would be even better, because I really have a lot of them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cardiovorax posted:

I am looking for a good alternative to Lastpass, since it has recently ceased supporting multiple types of devices for free users and also ceased supporting Paypal payments. Since I do not have a credit card anymore and am also not planning to get one just for the sake of paying those morons, I need an alternative of some sort. If someone could recommend me something good and safe that support multiple-device synchronization, that would be great. If it can easily import passwords from Lastpass, that would be even better, because I really have a lot of them.

I've been using Bitwarden for about two years and think it works great. I think it can import passwords from most popular managers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

hooah posted:

I've been using Bitwarden for about two years and think it works great. I think it can import passwords from most popular managers.
Tried it right away and it imported just fine, so it seems I might transition to this one full-time once I take some time to confirm that everything is really there. Thank you very much for the quick answer, seriously. This could've been a real issue for me, because I use Lastpass for a lot of things, including important Uni passwords that I look up on my phone I use them at work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
BitWarden and 1Password seem to be the most recommended ITT outside of people who want to roll their own services, write their own browser extensions, and have nation-state threat profiles.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

The term you're looking for is thin provisioning. Not sure if it can be done with VMWare Player though. Can't really add cores ad hoc while the machine is running as far as I'm aware. I've only seen it done with storage.

HalloKitty posted:

You can add cores and ram to a running maohine in ESXi if that functionality was enabled before booting the vm, but I don't know about vmware player.
Anyway, the right way to do it would be to limit the mhz reservation to limit cpu usage, but again, not sure if that functionality is in player

Thanks, that does seem like what I thought or like a lot more than what I'm able to work on these days. I think if I start to think about ESXi I'd just as well grab an old workstation and use it as a (relatively) powerful Linux box, rather than run Linux and Windows virtualized on my gaming computer. Though that is an interesting idea.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So I started getting "The 190? version of Windows you have is outdated, plz for install 20H2" messages, pressed butan & it installed. Now the new issue I didn't have previously is that apps that took 2-4 seconds to launch are now taking anywhere from 10-30 secs depending on the app. I doubt the state of my hardware has much to do with it (8700k @ 3.7ghz, 64gb RAM, Samsung SATA SSD boot/apps drive) so I am wondering what to poke at or try to examine in order to see what's causing this. Not getting any crashes, everything seems to run fine after launching, its just this launch delay is annoying.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MREBoy posted:

So I started getting "The 190? version of Windows you have is outdated, plz for install 20H2" messages, pressed butan & it installed. Now the new issue I didn't have previously is that apps that took 2-4 seconds to launch are now taking anywhere from 10-30 secs depending on the app. I doubt the state of my hardware has much to do with it (8700k @ 3.7ghz, 64gb RAM, Samsung SATA SSD boot/apps drive) so I am wondering what to poke at or try to examine in order to see what's causing this. Not getting any crashes, everything seems to run fine after launching, its just this launch delay is annoying.

#1 If your PC is generally only turned on / awake while you're using it, try leaving it turned on for a few hours by itself. After a major update the OS tends to do a lot of data shuffling, which can make the system feel real slow while that's happening. (This happens mostly to people with laptops, because it's common to close the screen when you're not using it and normally that'll sleep.)

#2 %age disk space used on your SSD? The big windows updates leave a "windows.old" copy to make reverting back fast and easy, which can consume a bunch of extra GB. If your SSD was already pretty full that could be an issue. SSDs don't like being totally full, it makes them slow and cranky.

#3 troubleshooting:
look at the task manager to see if some other app is eating all your CPU or HD use

Check reliability monitor and/or event viewer after launching an app to see if there are any events that may be related

If the apps that are taking a long time to launch are windows store apps, try the reset function. (Right click on app in start menu -> more -> app settings, scroll down to reset button. Only UWP apps will have that, so if the "more" submenu doesn't have an app settings link it's not a UWP problem.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a Plex/general server PC running Windows 10. It sometimes isn't on when I want to use it, maybe once a month. How/where can I see a log of why it turned off? I've heard of this kind of log before but don't know where to start. Thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I have a Plex/general server PC running Windows 10. It sometimes isn't on when I want to use it, maybe once a month. How/where can I see a log of why it turned off? I've heard of this kind of log before but don't know where to start. Thanks.
Does this here help? https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh sorry I meant the whole system is off, not just Plex. I should have worded that better.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Any ideas what this little... weird thing that's stuck on my desktop is? I thought it was dead pixels and kind of freaked out, but when I hover over it, the resize cursor appears. Can't seem to get rid of it, and I have no idea how to actually google this.

edit: it seems to be related to Edge somehow :thunk: actually maybe not. drat this is annoying and I can't find anything about this other than two reddit questions with no answers :(
lol figured it out, it's the voicecontrolengine process, not sure what's up with that

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 20, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

You want the event viewer I think.

I use an rpi with etherwake to turn on my pc when I’m away so that’s an option too!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've occasionally made the experience that Windows, when it auto-updates, just kinda... doesn't start back up? I have to do it manually. Might be that's related. Only happens once in a blue moon to me, but I think it's a known issue.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

tuyop posted:

You want the event viewer I think.

I use an rpi with etherwake to turn on my pc when I’m away so that’s an option too!

I use this when I'm feeling lazy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.mrwebb.wakeonlan

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a script I run on my main PC and sometimes want to toggle it on and off throughout the day. Right now I can either run up to the office or RDP through my laptop. Is there any apps or software where I can send a keystroke to a remote PC without having to load up RDP?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Medullah posted:

I have a script I run on my main PC and sometimes want to toggle it on and off throughout the day. Right now I can either run up to the office or RDP through my laptop. Is there any apps or software where I can send a keystroke to a remote PC without having to load up RDP?

winrm? Run the script directly or set off a scheduled task ... or really anything once you have the winrm connection.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Windows updates regularly break the driver that lets me use my speakers. Is there any workaround to stop that happening?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the_lion posted:

Windows updates regularly break the driver that lets me use my speakers. Is there any workaround to stop that happening?

If the problem is that windows update is installing a new driver for them, follow these instructions to turn off driver updates delivered by windows update.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cardiovorax posted:

Going back a few days, and more of a general question but this reminded me.

Is there a problem with Firefox's built in password sync/management tool?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

Is there a problem with Firefox's built in password sync/management tool?

It sucks a big fat one. Here's what I posted about it in the firefox thread:

quote:

Review of the new FF password manager & Lockwise on android: it's poo poo.

I'm visiting my mom and one of the things to do on the trip was set her up with a password manager. She uses firefox, so I was hoping the revamp would be usable as a cloud-based password manager that would fit in with how she'd done things before. (She's fairly technically adept for someone in their late-60s, but learning new tricks is getting harder.)

The thing is unusable for how a password manager needs to function. Passwords are still tied to a single URL, and you still can't change the URL. So when some company changes their website systems you have to make a new copy of an old identity. So it does nothing to fix the problem that FF's saved passwords has always had, of ending up with a bunch of duplicates (some of which may be out of date). Only the username and password are editable. A master password has to be entered every time you do *anything*, so a memorable phrase style of master password is excruciating.

Got rid of all that poo poo, installed bitwarden. Bitwarden seems to be just user-friendly enough for her, once I'd done the first setup and could guide her through how it works.

Basically all they did is put a new skin and add syncing to the old firefox password manager. I was extremely disappointed, because a basic but good and user-friendly password manager should not be that difficult.

Bitwarden is great. It has a extension for Firefox that works perfectly. I use Keepass + gdrive to sync myself, but I've had that since before Bitwarden existed and am nerd enough to do Keepass. If you are nerd enough for Keepass, it still has the upside that nobody will ever demand payment for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What Klyith said, basically. It is a: bad and b: also Firefox-only, which I do not necessarily use on all platforms. As mentioned I moved on to Bitwarden, which is excellent and seems like it satisfies my use-case perfectly. I can completely recommend it to any Lastpass user. It does all the same things, but with no nagware "premium" cost involved.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cardiovorax posted:

also Firefox-only, which I do not necessarily use on all platforms.

The Lockwise thing is just the password manager part & works on android & ios as a browser-agnostic fake keyboard thing like you'd want. So like if your other platform is linux that's no help but for most people covers the bases. But there's no working around how goddamn terrible it is.

Hey, Microsoft! This is the windows software thread, why don't you make a good one of these things? You could even tie it to your goddamn MS Accounts you push all the time with fake "complete your setup" screens! I'm still not gonna use that poo poo but if it's good, user-friendly, secure, and has clients for phones I might actually tell people I know to use one. Why are you letting VC companies take this space?

e:
Hey Microsoft! Why don't you give me a million dollars?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 24, 2021

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Hey, Microsoft! This is the windows software thread, why don't you make a good one of these things? You could even tie it to your goddamn MS Accounts you push all the time with fake "complete your setup" screens! I'm still not gonna use that poo poo but if it's good, user-friendly, secure, and has clients for phones I might actually tell people I know to use one. Why are you letting VC companies take this space?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/22178026/microsoft-authenticator-autofill-feature-password-manager

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the insight on FF. That's what I use (I've never used a manager at all before that) and I haven't had any major problems with it, but I'll definitely give bitwarden a look.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to select a group of folders and set them all to display the same details once opened (those headers like Name, Date Modified, Type, Size etc.)? Sorting some folders of music and I want them all to display album name and track number and the like without having to open every single folder and setting the display details manually.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is there a way to select a group of folders and set them all to display the same details once opened (those headers like Name, Date Modified, Type, Size etc.)? Sorting some folders of music and I want them all to display album name and track number and the like without having to open every single folder and setting the display details manually.
Yeah, you can right-click on the parent folder, select properties->customize and then set the format to music with 'apply to subfolders' ticked. Just putting them all into the same folder temporarily should do for that, even if you move them somewhere else again afterwards.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

C-Euro posted:

Set the folder to be the type you want in the folder's properties -> customize, optionally with apply to subfolders.

Adjust the view to be how you want it.

Now in explorer do View -> Options -> View -> click "Apply to Folders" button, which will make all folders of that type use the current view settings.

(There is one big downside of putting metadata like artist / album etc in the view columns, which is that it can make opening folders very slow when there are a lot of files. Apparently that stuff isn't cached, or the cache isn't very deep, because windows will thrash the HD reading metadata for every file basically every time you look at stuff. I can't stand it myself, but I also store music in a shallow tree rather than folders for every album.)

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Could anyone recommend a free unattended remote access program with a functioning android app?

Teamviewer has decided that my father's home desktop pc is a commercial venture and is no longer usable. I've heard connectwise and anydesk are both decent but with their own sets of problems, so someone with actual practical experience would be a real help.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Huge Manatee posted:

Could anyone recommend a free unattended remote access program with a functioning android app?

Teamviewer has decided that my father's home desktop pc is a commercial venture and is no longer usable. I've heard connectwise and anydesk are both decent but with their own sets of problems, so someone with actual practical experience would be a real help.

Jump is excellent as long as you have a monitor on. If no monitor (and he has Win 10 Pro), RDP is perfectly good if you can VPN into his place. If he uses Chrome, I think Chrome Remote Desktop has an Android client.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've been using Anydesk for a few weeks now and it works very smoothly, better than Teamviewer did even. The Android app works fine and connects smoothly, it's very easy to use. Since you didn't say what problems there are supposed to be with it I can't comment, but I have had no major problems with it so far. The only issue is that the application requires a monitor on the host, which also has to be turned on. If it isn't, there are workarounds, but it's not particularly meant for headless use.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm having difficulty setting permissions on folders. They keep reverting back to read-only. Some cursory googling says that its a result of recent windows updates and that a workaround is changing permissions on user accounts. I'd really rather not give my accounts write permissions to everything, seems like that could backfire. Is there any other solution?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Huge Manatee posted:

Chrome remote desktop

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm trying to figure out which of my windows product keys I used on my desktop, is there a recommended program for doing that now? I thought you could look it up in the actual OS these days but I can't seem to find a working method.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Medullah posted:

I'm trying to figure out which of my windows product keys I used on my desktop, is there a recommended program for doing that now? I thought you could look it up in the actual OS these days but I can't seem to find a working method.
Use this command in an admin command prompt:

code:
wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
Tried it just now on my own end, confirmed to work.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cardiovorax posted:

Tried it just now on my own end, confirmed to work.

Didn't here. AFAIK if you use a 7 or 8 key to activate 10 and have a digital license, the key you used is not stored anywhere locally.

So if you have three old keys and can't remember which two you've already used, just guess. It'll probably activate whichever one you pick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

Didn't here. AFAIK if you use a 7 or 8 key to activate 10 and have a digital license, the key you used is not stored anywhere locally.

So if you have three old keys and can't remember which two you've already used, just guess. It'll probably activate whichever one you pick.

Yeah that's the problem here, I didn't even think about the upgrade changing the key. Bleh.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Chrome remote desktop

If you have a big screen or multiple screens, it might just show up black on your phone depending on what phone you have or what versions or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
AnyDesk is amazing, and works way better for connecting to Android phones than TeamViewer in my experience (probably depends on the device)