Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Jumpoff posted:

Here is the current GoS experience in a nutshell:

Encounters 1 through 3: execute the mechanics well enough and you'll be fine.

Boss: pray to god you don't get dicked down by the fickle finger of Bungie being unable to properly bug-hunt their old content.

If you want the Boss/Divinity, hoooooooo boy good luck to you.

My quest to get Divinity was a nightmare of over 16 hours because of LFG, people being dicks, and Bungie's bad coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Jumpoff posted:

Seriously, the boss is...extremely hosed (unless they fixed one of the tether boxes deciding to just never work, motes falling through the world leaving you short, and the extremely spotty windows for tethering to initiate boss dps). If you just want the first 3 encounters, we have a group that runs them weekly. If you want the Boss/Divinity, hoooooooo boy good luck to you.

My group settled on cheesing by placing a Well of Radiance on the middle platform directly infront of the boss and ignoring the ground mechanics, if you have two warlocks you can literally chain the Well. It might take 3 phases if your dps is bad but it's literally a cake walk. I've never had problems with motes falling through the world or tethers not working either.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Rubellavator posted:

My group settled on cheesing by placing a Well of Radiance on the middle platform directly infront of the boss and ignoring the ground mechanics, if you have two warlocks you can literally chain the Well. It might take 3 phases if your dps is bad but it's literally a cake walk. I've never had problems with motes falling through the world or tethers not working either.

I'm willing to concede that i may be cursed, but i do want to ask if your runs were after Beyond Light. Because with Beyond Light and the rngine upgrades that came with it, some things with Garden broke apparently. Tether box breaking used to be pretty rare but now it's like a 50/50 chance from what i found.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Anyone jumping into the What Gambit Needs discussion would be well served by watching this video, which I think has a lot of good ideas ("good ideas" does not include his apparent fetish for More Engrams and More Champions). His other stuff is worth a watch too, particularly the Trials, IB and Planets videos.

If anyone still needs to knock out their GM NF clear for the weekly challenge, this is the week to do it. It's pretty painless as GM NFs go and if you do the sunbracers/rift cheese the boss fight is just your warlock chucking grenades up his rear end for five minutes in an empty arena. You'll want anti barrier sniper and unstoppable pulse imo.

hiddenriverninja posted:

My quest to get Divinity was a nightmare of over 16 hours because of LFG, people being dicks, and Bungie's bad coding.

We clown carred our Divinity run. Turns out having nine people in the boss fight while the rebuilders are trying to tether doesn't actually help anything. 2 hours and 24 minutes is probably a world record Divinity run though! Five people got the gun and now we can never do that again.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you're in the overchill raids, garden 4 is a cakewalk. You'll mess up once or twice then you'll know the execution and just do the thing.

Everyone who thinks raids are a nightmare is simply traumatized by lovely pubbie lfg.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Trials is up and Messenger is the 3 win. Time to get that Endgame bounty!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mill Village posted:

The hardest catalysts to get this season are the ones for DMT and Telesto, though there are certain Legendary Lost Sectors that take less than 5 minutes to complete once you get the hang of them.

Does it matter what light level one you complete? Like, does the higher level one give you a better chance to get the Telesto catalyst?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PathAsc posted:

It's more the time sink for the godawful rng bungie tied to catalysts I think. Not to mention their old methods of attaining them, but goddamn looking at how much time people have put in to the game even since the change is still busted.

Then add all the garbage you have to deal with with the current set of bugs that make things more tedious to perform and it just doesn't feel good.

I'm not sure I follow on the "old methods of obtaining them" ... you mean the strictly worse ones that were also depending on RNG or behind some obnoxious difficulty stuff?

Granted, I'd totally be down for having every catalyst being a non-random reward from reasonably difficult content. But it was almost implied it'd be better that they drop (almost certainly randomly) from a theoretical gambit-but-worse.

Drop-rate wise, the ordeal catalysts feel second only to the catalysts that were added during y3 seasons as random drops from playlists. If you want one of these catalysts, just grind out some ordeals and you'll get them. I really can't say the same for the sweet business catalyst.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
And then there's the MIDA Multi-tool catalyst...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Paracelsus posted:

And then there's the MIDA Multi-tool catalyst...

Wait, it has a catalyst? I got that thing like the 2nd day I started playing and I never knew it had a catalyst.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Mesadoram posted:

Does it matter what light level one you complete? Like, does the higher level one give you a better chance to get the Telesto catalyst?

Don't really have enough data to be sure, but you can crank through LLS much faster than a Master so it probably evens out. FWIW I got the telesto cat on my 5th run of a LLS this season.

^^^ It's tied to a really tricky Glory PVP achievement, I've never even tried to get it.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 26, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Mesadoram posted:

I got it running Legend lost sectors pretty quickly.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

The Jumpoff posted:

Here is the current GoS experience in a nutshell:

Encounters 1 through 3: execute the mechanics well enough and you'll be fine.

Boss: pray to god you don't get dicked down by the fickle finger of Bungie being unable to properly bug-hunt their old content.

Seriously, the boss is...extremely hosed (unless they fixed one of the tether boxes deciding to just never work, motes falling through the world leaving you short, and the extremely spotty windows for tethering to initiate boss dps). If you just want the first 3 encounters, we have a group that runs them weekly. If you want the Boss/Divinity, hoooooooo boy good luck to you.

Can confirm. GoS was actually one of the only raids I did without looking at video guides. Joined a sherpa PUG on bungie's website including Divinity. I think all of us except the Sherpa were running it for the first time. Took us maybe 1 1/2-2 hours to get to the boss. But then holy mother of God did the boss destroy us for about 2 hours straight. I was half expecting the Sherpa to just bail because of how ridiculous it felt, but he didn't, and we actually managed to beat it. We all praised him to the heavens for persevering.

And then I was like, gently caress that I'm never running this Raid again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mesadoram posted:

Wait, it has a catalyst? I got that thing like the 2nd day I started playing and I never knew it had a catalyst.

It has a chance to drop from Comp matches at max glory.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Paracelsus posted:

It has a chance to drop from Comp matches at max glory.

That's what it used to be. They changed it in Shadowkeep.

Nowadays it's an increasing chance to drop at any glory 2100+, with max chance at 5500 (it's like 90% chance at 5500)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yeah, even when it was "wins at 5500", me and my buddies got it on the very first game after we hit 5500.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Played a round of Battlegrounds with Slayerage (famous for being one of the first people to solo Crota's End) today. Getting him to hug me made my day. :3:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/314776725911240704/825153809390108672/hug_streamer_IQ.mp4

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kesper North posted:

I miss doublefisting Mountaintop and Fighting Lion for the entire half season that I got to do that before mttop was destroyed forever

What did they do to it? I never managed to get any of those weapons and now they're available via the kiosk I was thinking of grabbing that, Recluse, and one of the two hand cannons (I forget which one is supposed to be better?) but I assume they've all been heavily nerfed now that they're available to everyone?

The whole thing contradicts what Bungie said about experimenting with more fun and powerful weapons but that was before they reversed sunsetting so I don't even know any more. Are they all garbage now? I was interested in Mountaintop just since it fires in a straight line and is like a mini rocket launcher and I've never liked SMGs much but figured Recluse might get me into using them. If all these have been nerfed into oblivion though I guess it's not worth wasting the resources to buy them?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Furious rant about IB:

WHY

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why is everybody so loving stupid, why not play together, why does 3 teemates meet up and go in 3 different directions and die

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

public matchmaking

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Today, something magical happened while I did a Nightfall:

I got The Dragon's Shadow.

This game just got FUN.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

What did they do to it? I never managed to get any of those weapons and now they're available via the kiosk I was thinking of grabbing that, Recluse, and one of the two hand cannons (I forget which one is supposed to be better?) but I assume they've all been heavily nerfed now that they're available to everyone?

The whole thing contradicts what Bungie said about experimenting with more fun and powerful weapons but that was before they reversed sunsetting so I don't even know any more. Are they all garbage now? I was interested in Mountaintop just since it fires in a straight line and is like a mini rocket launcher and I've never liked SMGs much but figured Recluse might get me into using them. If all these have been nerfed into oblivion though I guess it's not worth wasting the resources to buy them?

MT’s grenade now has gravity so you can no longer snipe people with it. You must hit someone directly to kill them, not just aim it in their general direction.

I think Recluse got nerfed when Shadowkeep came out or maybe a bit earlier. I honestly can’t remember. It’s been a while since I’ve seen anyone use it.

Luna’s Howl and Not Forgotten were insanely OP 180s when they came out, then Bungie made them 150s, and they became 140s with the latest major hc update. If you think a 140 with a 180 recoil pattern is your idea of fun, you might want to try NF. No point in using Luna’s when NF has way more range.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

The kiosk legendaries were 100% the reason sunsetting was ever a thing. Most of the weapons were far above any other options available at the time which usually meant a very large portion of the playerbase used them. There were other legendaries that were a problem (Spare Rations, Mindbender's, etc.) but the kiosk pinnacles were the major reason why Bungie decided to start phasing out weapons.

Some examples:
-Revoker, an Aggressive Frame sniper, had the lowest zoom of all sniper rifles, and coupled with the "get your bullet back if you miss" made it one of the strongest options in Crucible
-Mountaintop's ease of use pretty much made it a ubiquitous option for both PvP and PvE
-21% Delirium was pretty much the best LMG in the game, especially if you were able to get luck with heavy ammo drops; Overflow + Killing Tally meant that once you got revved up you were pretty much spitting death everywhere.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

imho Recluse has always been the worst offender of “blatantly stronger gun than all comparable options” to the point where it was equipped by like 90-something% of all guardians in Garden of Salvation (which is after getting nerfed at the launch of Shadowkeep)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There's no waveforms anymore. :sigh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Waffle House posted:

There's no waveforms anymore. :sigh:

Yes there is. Deafening Whisper from Season of the Hunt, still available from the legacy lure

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Scyantific posted:

The kiosk legendaries were 100% the reason sunsetting was ever a thing. Most of the weapons were far above any other options available at the time which usually meant a very large portion of the playerbase used them. There were other legendaries that were a problem (Spare Rations, Mindbender's, etc.) but the kiosk pinnacles were the major reason why Bungie decided to start phasing out weapons.

Some examples:
-Revoker, an Aggressive Frame sniper, had the lowest zoom of all sniper rifles, and coupled with the "get your bullet back if you miss" made it one of the strongest options in Crucible
-Mountaintop's ease of use pretty much made it a ubiquitous option for both PvP and PvE
-21% Delirium was pretty much the best LMG in the game, especially if you were able to get luck with heavy ammo drops; Overflow + Killing Tally meant that once you got revved up you were pretty much spitting death everywhere.

The entire back half of Y2 is the other reason tbh (Forge, Drifter, Opulence). All the guns were getting progressively more and more maxed out. Spare Rations with the 92 Aim Assist, Blast Furnace having juiced stats in every slot compared to the other two Aggressive Pulses, Adored being literally the best sniper rifle in the game in every way aside from Revoker's ammo refund, freakin' Hammerhead

That's why Shadowkeep guns are hot doo doo and overall gun power didn't really recover until Season of the Worthy (and that's partially because of Warmind Cells)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Transmog is coming and I didn't get all the Leviathan gear, since all gear was boring then :(

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Yes there is. Deafening Whisper from Season of the Hunt, still available from the legacy lure

If you didn't own/play last season though the only way to get it now is buy the deluxe/year pass thing.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
So, according to reddit, opening regular Dreaming City engram bounties anywhere inside the Shattered Throne results in dungeon-quality loot. Hello, new 67 point chest piece.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 28, 2021

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nice

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

filmcynic posted:

So, according to reddit, opening regular Dreaming City engram bounties inside the Shattered Throne results in dungeon-quality loot. Hello, new 67 point chest piece.

Whoa

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

lol at me for creating a huge fuss over nothing. I went to trials, got the messenger which I didnt notice then. Emailed bungie, they are now investigating the issue, and than when I was dissassembing crap realized a second too late that I am dissassembing the proverbial messenger

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

pls take me to goddamn throne, I still have tokens because some mob was bugged. I want to get rid of this

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sekenr posted:

pls take me to goddamn throne, I still have tokens because some mob was bugged. I want to get rid of this

Lol, I am poo poo at that dungeon. I just did it as a newb with a pug last night. I'll join you if someone can help, though... :-p

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
PSA: hidden chests in prophecy despawn, and people who don't get to them in time do not get mailed the loot. Don't open them when people are a long distance away.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Hidden chests despawn from people hitting loading zones as well. So tell people you're doing them

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Banshee is selling Wrath of Rasputin again today, go buy it if you missed it a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

drat, was hoping for rage but glad more people can get in on wrath again tbh