Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nope. Just a collaboration with a mobage and a Demi-Fiend figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Apologies if this has been covered before, but official sources are making this really hard to figure out. Does the base game of the Nocturne remaster still include stuff that was added for the Maniax release in Japan, like the Labyrinth of Amala and the fiends? There's a separate Maniax pack, but it looks like it just adds Dante.

I don't give a poo poo about Dante, I just want to know if I can buy only the base game and still hang out with my good friend Matador.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Assuming you're in the USA,

Base version comes with Chronicle (raidou + amala) option at the start
Dante is DLC

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I understand if you're playing on PS4 or Switch, the base game includes everything that was in the Maniax Chronicle version (the one with Raidou) and the DLC just adds a toggle at the beginning of a new game that allows you to switch between Raidou and Dante.

If you're playing on Steam, afaik the base game is base Nocturne, and I think both Dante and Raidou as well as the Maniax Chronicle stuff is DLC, though the Raidou/Maniax DLC may be free. It seems like they had to do the Steam port that way to appease Chinese censorship laws for to Raidou being dressed like an Imperial Japanese soldier or something like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Commander Keene posted:

If you're playing on Steam, afaik the base game is base Nocturne, and I think both Dante and Raidou as well as the Maniax Chronicle stuff is DLC, though the Raidou/Maniax DLC may be free. It seems like they had to do the Steam port that way to appease Chinese censorship laws for to Raidou being dressed like an Imperial Japanese soldier or something like that.

Yeah. In China and Korea they didn't release Raidou (I'm not sure if it's censorship laws or just a personal 'you know we probably shouldn't do this', I think it might be the latter in Korea), and on Switch and Playstation their angle there was just to release the non-Maniax version instead of the Raidou Maniax version in those countries, and have Dante be the Maniax upgrade DLC. Things went different on Steam, I think because VPNs make circumventing that much easier on PC so they need to get a bit clever.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 25, 2021

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Jesus Christ that's ridiculous

But thanks, I think I get it now. I see that the base Steam release includes a Chronicle pack for "select regions", so that explains that. Though now I also see that the Steam version includes Denuvo, so maybe I should say gently caress it and get the PS4 version anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Denuvo is less restrictive than PS4 DRM, even with a disc.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Erebus posted:

Jesus Christ that's ridiculous

So, summary:
  • If you have neither the Raidou pack nor the Dante pack, you get "base" Nocturne equivalent to the original Japanese PS2 release.
  • If you have at least one of those packs, you get the Maniax version (with the Labyrinth of Amala and stuff).
  • If you have both, you can pick when starting a new game whether you want Dante or Raidou.
  • The Dante pack is paid DLC in all regions and on all platforms
  • Outside China and Korea, the Raidou pack is included in the base game on PS4 and Switch, and is free DLC on Steam.
  • Inside China and Korea, the Raidou pack is completely unavailable.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Denuvo is less restrictive than PS4 DRM, even with a disc.

Eh. Denuvo requires an online check-in on first boot, and whenever there's a hardware change or major Windows update (every 6 months or so). PS4 discs only require an online check-in whenever the console's CMOS battery is replaced, so that's once every decade or more. Or I guess if the CMOS dies and you don't replace it, it'll need an online check-in every time you restart your PS4. Pick your poison.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

or major Windows update (every 6 months or so).

You forgot the part where everyone on this forum runs unpatched Windows 7 because "they like it that way, security be damned" :v:

Anyway yeah you're right, one isn't really worse than the other. Buying a physical disc just isn't the silver bullet to avoid DRM that everyone thinks it is.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Finally digging properly into IV Apocalypse so I can have played through it before I'm ready to slam 3HD into my Switch and drat, Manabu was a real one. Strong ally vibes in dude being "if this is what they say their name is now then this is what we should call them."

I'd kinda forgotten that this starts mid-endgame of IV so Flynn and Isabeau sweeping in to save us while we're trying to prove ourselves as hunters was cool

And dang these battle themes slap

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Strikers is reminding me why Haru is probably my favourite Phantom Thief. She’s got interesting relationships with characters, a friendly and fun personality while also wielding an axe and grenade launcher in battle. Spamming grenades at the enemy never gets old :allears:.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Should I pick Raidou or Dante from the Devil May Cry series?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

You get a talking cat with one choice, and a pizza party with the other

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

raidou kicks rear end

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So two months to go and they finally confirmed the Steam version for Nocturne. Was totally dead set on getting it for Switch so it could follow me around the house or wherever (in a future tense), but now I don't know :negative:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Should I pick Raidou or Dante from the Devil May Cry series?

In the original PS2 releases Raidou was stronger because one of his attacks had Pierce, while Dante's didn't; they were otherwise identical in gameplay. I think they gave Dante's equivalent attack Pierce in the remaster, so it's up to preference.

Although, can someone who knows DMC confirm which design Dante's using? I don't remember if it's the DMC2 or 3 design, and there's... a BIG difference between those.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DMC2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It was DMC2 before.

Andrigaar posted:

So two months to go and they finally confirmed the Steam version for Nocturne. Was totally dead set on getting it for Switch so it could follow me around the house or wherever (in a future tense), but now I don't know :negative:

The Steam version uses garbage DRM, apparently.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Edit:Wrong thread.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I got to Kyoto in Strikers.

Seeing the crew encounter a Phantom Thieves super fun is hilarious.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lotus Aura posted:

The Steam version uses garbage DRM, apparently.

I hate Denuvo, but I think most or all of the big Japanese developers refuse to stop using it until what must be a big sales dip. So far it hasn't given me issues, but that's a weak argument to support a game that does use it when other people do have issues with it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Despite the game being absolute garbage DMC2 Dante is a cool design

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cleretic posted:

In the original PS2 releases Raidou was stronger because one of his attacks had Pierce, while Dante's didn't; they were otherwise identical in gameplay. I think they gave Dante's equivalent attack Pierce in the remaster, so it's up to preference.

Although, can someone who knows DMC confirm which design Dante's using? I don't remember if it's the DMC2 or 3 design, and there's... a BIG difference between those.

They tack Pierce onto Dante's Amp passive now, so he and Raidou are identical.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Switch version runs abysmally, right?

If so I'll probably skip that. Does the dante DLC do anything other than dante or is 'pack' just a marketing buzzword?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Acerbatus posted:

If so I'll probably skip that. Does the dante DLC do anything other than dante or is 'pack' just a marketing buzzword?

it's basically the same stuff as the raidou version (extra dungeon and contents), but with dante!

i think there were some patches for the switch version too, but i've never played nocturne so i dunno how it stacks up now

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Acerbatus posted:

I think the remaster as a whole had some framerate issues that are genuine bugs across both Switch and PS4, it's just that the Switch was the more interesting and so more reported-on version.

I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, but if it hasn't, you won't be able to dodge it with a different version.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The switch version runs completely fine, in my experience.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s a turn based RPG so it’s not like it needs to run at 120Hz to be playable

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Someone else asked me this and I couldn't find any info about it: Since the HD remaster added Pierce to Dante's moveset, did they also make it so you're able to fuse Dante and Raidou with Mitamas to power them up?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Raidou owns and they should make more Raidou games

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SoR Blaze posted:

Raidou owns and they should make more Raidou games

:hmmyes:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

They have the HD model now, so they could at least do a HD remake of Soulless Army and/or King Abaddon to test if there's an audience there for a Raidou 3.

Which there is. There definitely, definitely is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lotus Aura posted:

They have the HD model now, so they could at least do a HD remake of Soulless Army and/or King Abaddon to test if there's an audience there for a Raidou 3.

Which there is. There definitely, definitely is.

I mean you'd still need to make a lot of other HD assets.

Also: is there?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I name all of my persona MCs raidou so that I can pretend they're the sequels atlus will never give us

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There are probably more people that want a Paragon reboot than raidou sequel

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I mean you'd still need to make a lot of other HD assets.

Also: is there?

The vast, vast majority of the other HD assets would also be in HD Nocturne, along with y'know SMTV and Persona 5 (Royal/Strikers). There'd still be some stuff that needs to be made, yes, but most of it would be reusable.

King Abaddon competes with Nocturne for most popular SMT game across the entire series. If there's a viable audience for one, then that clearly implies there's an audience for the other.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lotus Aura posted:

King Abaddon competes with Nocturne for most popular SMT game across the entire series.

[citation needed]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pretty sure HD Nocturne's models are the same as they were on PS2

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I can't wait for nocturne remaster to release so we can get smt v news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

The vast, vast majority of the other HD assets would also be in HD Nocturne, along with y'know SMTV and Persona 5 (Royal/Strikers). There'd still be some stuff that needs to be made, yes, but most of it would be reusable.

King Abaddon competes with Nocturne for most popular SMT game across the entire series. If there's a viable audience for one, then that clearly implies there's an audience for the other.

Can you provide a citation for that? Even if you ignore the Persona games I'm pretty sure SMTIV was the best-selling mainline SMT to date.