Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Taerkar posted:

Pretty much every NPC station should have a L/XL dock. It's the first thing they build from what I've seen.

Going back to this, I'm running into the Terrans rather regularly not having normal docks and ONLY having the L/XL sized ones. I had to poop a trade fleet because they had a huge lack of trade ships they kept losing sending into Savage Spur, and they've got so far at least half a dozen stations I can't even dock at. They are not under construction either, there just isn't a dock and no plan to have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

ughhhh posted:

You can sell them in black markets and pirate bases.

Just double checked, they will not buy slicers, decryptors, or bypasses. They sell them though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God help me I'm falling down the modhole

Rip ventures

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Just double checked, they will not buy slicers, decryptors, or bypasses. They sell them though.

Assumed they were tradable because they were in the trader screen.

Does turret settings affect ai in oss combat? I'm watching my behemoth valiantly struggle with about 10 Ms not really doing much. Gonna teleport in shortly but just wanted to check for later as I stop paying attention to my mining operations as my empire expands.

Tabletops posted:

my main plot mission right now is to get the uhh big station running and build a dock which takes a lot of credits :(

Try to get a miner to auto mine in a rich sector as soon as possible and you will have a steady income. First thing I do in every x game.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 27, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ughhhh posted:

Assumed they were tradable because they were in the trader screen.

Does turret settings affect ai in oss combat? I'm watching my behemoth valiantly struggle with about 10 Ms not really doing much. Gonna teleport in shortly but just wanted to check for later as I stop paying attention to my mining operations as my empire expands.

Try to get a miner to auto mine in a rich sector as soon as possible and you will have a steady income. First thing I do in every x game.

how much does that cost? I did a mission where i brought down a stations shields and I'm up to 700k now. I'm having trouble finding a ship yard that doesn't only sell giant gently caress off ships though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tabletops posted:

how much does that cost? I did a mission where i brought down a stations shields and I'm up to 700k now. I'm having trouble finding a ship yard that doesn't only sell giant gently caress off ships though

Shipyards sell big boys, wharfs sell s and m sized ships

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

RBA Starblade posted:

Shipyards sell big boys, wharfs sell s and m sized ships

ahh ok. finding specific stations has been a real hassle! I'm all the way over in matrix 451 right now, guess i'll fly back to grand exchange and see what I canf ind.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Travic posted:

So for a stupid person like me how does this mod compare with the "Trade for commander" order?

It's been so long since I've used that command but I'll do my best to compare. The gist and intent of the mod is to make it easier for you to break up mega all-in-one factories and instead make several factories connected by supply chains, either directly or through a warehouse style station. First the travel mule does what trade for commander does but you could set it to ignore NPC shipyards or stations, which might be useful if you're trying to do something specific like sell only to shipyards from a hull factory in hopes of better profits. Station mules are very useful because even though you set a source station they will still help other stations that require resources and you can tell them to/not to transport energy cells and food/meds. I haven't really touched distributor mules but they're if you have several warehouses across the galaxy. Supply mules are probably the ones I consider most useful, they'll handle build storage and input needs for any station you set them to, including NPC ones so you could set one to a shipyard to supply it. Supply mules also have a player buy mod as mentioned that make them see goods from your station as cheaper sources so they're more likely to use your own stuff over a closer and technically cheaper NPC station's. Oh and if you're exceptionally lazy like me you don't need to set the wares list every time you make a trader.
From what I understand trade for commander is basically autotrade using the commander's stats.
In short, travel is autotrade, station is supplying between your stations, and supply grabs from anywhere within its range.

I'm no X4 expert, but I hope I did an adequate job of explaining that! The mod seems intimidating, but it's actually really simple and effective once you wrap your head around each mule's role.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Tabletops posted:

ahh ok. finding specific stations has been a real hassle! I'm all the way over in matrix 451 right now, guess i'll fly back to grand exchange and see what I canf ind.

You can hail a ship over comms and ask where to find the nearest wharf & more.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

sloppy portmanteau posted:

You can hail a ship over comms and ask where to find the nearest wharf & more.

!! this is amazing, thank you!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If you can get yourself into bright promise, you can't hitch your ship onto the main highway and take a loop through all the main systems!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Suggestions on where to send my gas miner? My silicon boys are raking in the bucks, but everywhere I’ve sent my gas miner has been poo poo.

I know it can differ from game to game, but some that people have found generally profitable.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

StarkRavingMad posted:

Suggestions on where to send my gas miner? My silicon boys are raking in the bucks, but everywhere I’ve sent my gas miner has been poo poo.

I know it can differ from game to game, but some that people have found generally profitable.

Titan

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I think i figured out why I found a million lockboxes in grand exchange 3, I had docked at a station there and was afk for 3 or 4 hours. at some point my extra pilot in the rapier arrived and just sat around. I guess they detect lockboxes once in a while and now there are still like 15 or 20 unopened lock boxes around there hah. I'm guessing maybe they just spawn in when they 'find' one?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Does it matter what gas, or are they all good there?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

StarkRavingMad posted:

Does it matter what gas, or are they all good there?

Hydrogen and Methane seem to work well.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thom12255 posted:

Hydrogen and Methane seem to work well.

Thanks! Appreciate the info

(edit): ah the problem was an even dumber one, I had initially set them to helium like days ago when I was figuring out the autominer orders, and apparently no place buys helium because they were all just cruising around with full holds of it unable to find anywhere to sell. So even though they were set to mine hydrogen and methane, they couldn't do poo poo until I told them to just dump the helium

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

really sweet toilet view right into a raptors hanger bay.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

It's been so long since I've used that command but I'll do my best to compare. The gist and intent of the mod is to make it easier for you to break up mega all-in-one factories and instead make several factories connected by supply chains, either directly or through a warehouse style station. First the travel mule does what trade for commander does but you could set it to ignore NPC shipyards or stations, which might be useful if you're trying to do something specific like sell only to shipyards from a hull factory in hopes of better profits. Station mules are very useful because even though you set a source station they will still help other stations that require resources and you can tell them to/not to transport energy cells and food/meds. I haven't really touched distributor mules but they're if you have several warehouses across the galaxy. Supply mules are probably the ones I consider most useful, they'll handle build storage and input needs for any station you set them to, including NPC ones so you could set one to a shipyard to supply it. Supply mules also have a player buy mod as mentioned that make them see goods from your station as cheaper sources so they're more likely to use your own stuff over a closer and technically cheaper NPC station's. Oh and if you're exceptionally lazy like me you don't need to set the wares list every time you make a trader.
From what I understand trade for commander is basically autotrade using the commander's stats.
In short, travel is autotrade, station is supplying between your stations, and supply grabs from anywhere within its range.

I'm no X4 expert, but I hope I did an adequate job of explaining that! The mod seems intimidating, but it's actually really simple and effective once you wrap your head around each mule's role.

Interesting. It does seem intimidating, but I'll give it a try. I've been unhappy with the performance of "Trade for commander" and this sounds like it will work better. Especially now as I have a Wharf I want my wares going to towards. Vertical integration! Thanks for the explanation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Travic posted:

Interesting. It does seem intimidating, but I'll give it a try. I've been unhappy with the performance of "Trade for commander" and this sounds like it will work better. Especially now as I have a Wharf I want my wares going to towards. Vertical integration! Thanks for the explanation.

It works perfectly for that, in my two hours' experience

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep that's it lol

E: OK I see how stations trade, so I have a solar farm in Mercury and a trading post in Mars. How do I get my trader to ferry energy cells to Mars automatically? I can only seem to if I buy them from myself, but then I can't sell them, it defaults to build storage on the post. I want to sell them in Mars for a bigger range eventually. I just want it to loop from the farm in Mercury to drop off in Mars for the station to sell

You don't actually need mods for this. There's a default order called Repeat Orders, which you can use to set up a ship to do trade loops between stations.

You can also use the Station Overview (Logical Overview) to set separate buy/sell orders for ecells on the trading station, such as that it will only buy Ecells from your own stations but it will sell to anyone. The trading station's traders will then pick up ecells from only your own SPPs. If the ware doesnt show up in Logical Overview you can scroll to the bottom, click Select Trade Wares, and select Ecells from the list.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 28, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
so i have enough money to make a luxury dock, and i hired a builder to do it. will the builder go out and purchase stuff for me? I set the budget for the stuff in the building menu and the builder is assigned to it. Do I need to do it myself or can I buy a ship to do it or something?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Tabletops posted:

so i have enough money to make a luxury dock, and i hired a builder to do it. will the builder go out and purchase stuff for me? I set the budget for the stuff in the building menu and the builder is assigned to it. Do I need to do it myself or can I buy a ship to do it or something?

As long as it's visible in trade lane, traders will find it and deliver. Depending on scarcity, it might be quick, or you may want to help it along. If you look at the planning screen, below the item requirements, you should see a listing of any trade ships on their way.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Travic posted:

Oh, I completely forgot you can enable two-way trading on the station mules so if you have say a solar farm and a food factory, or anything that makes something that the other station also requires, you can just setup one station mule and it will transfer goods between both stations as it makes its stops.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You don't actually need mods for this. There's a default order called Repeat Orders, which you can use to set up a ship to do trade loops between stations.

You can also use the Station Overview (Logical Overview) to set separate buy/sell orders for ecells on the trading station, such as that it will only buy Ecells from your own stations but it will sell to anyone. The trading station's traders will then pick up ecells from only your own SPPs. If the ware doesnt show up in Logical Overview you can scroll to the bottom, click Select Trade Wares, and select Ecells from the list.

I tried that but either the trader never did anything or the station bought from other races anyway :shrug:

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
It's been a lot of fun to rescue Zyarth from the brink of extinction. Their shipyard had been destroyed, they had no fleet, and almost no traders or miners even, so their economy was at a complete standstill. After setting up claytronics and hull parts for them, making my wharf exclusive, and employing a full time Xenon defense fleet in their sectors, its nice to see things moving again for them. They've bought 203 ships from my wharf in the past 24 in-game hours so I'm pretty sure most of the ships flying around now were in fact built by me. Very soon they'll have an exclusive shipyard too, and I might see them actually fighting back.

And now, as champion of the underdog, it's time to rescue the Paranid from the Holy Order. This is of course purely for altruistic reasons, pay no mind to the 150% markup.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
whats the coolest/best/most fun small ship to fly? I like the kestrel but it's pretty anemic in a fight

edit: can I get a cube/geometric shape ship?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My girlfriend is not a video game person, and she identifies games I play by something that she sees often. So like Dark Souls 3 is "Bonfires" because she'd always see me stopping at a bonfire. X4 has become "Bureaucracy" because every time she pokes her head in while I'm playing I'm doing some sort of station maintenance. And honestly, despite my enjoyment of combat missions, something about being a space bureaucrat with all of the different faction markets to exploit has really hooked me since picking this back up.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

My girlfriend is not a video game person, and she identifies games I play by something that she sees often. So like Dark Souls 3 is "Bonfires" because she'd always see me stopping at a bonfire. X4 has become "Bureaucracy" because every time she pokes her head in while I'm playing I'm doing some sort of station maintenance. And honestly, despite my enjoyment of combat missions, something about being a space bureaucrat with all of the different faction markets to exploit has really hooked me since picking this back up.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I like watching the ships shoot and explode, but knowing that sometimes it's ships MY stuff has built or they're out there because I propped up the economy is a cool feeling that keeps me coming back.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Tabletops posted:

whats the coolest/best/most fun small ship to fly? I like the kestrel but it's pretty anemic in a fight

I prefer the Eclipse, i like the way it feels and I can do a 2gun x 2launcher configuration. Heavy swarms to slam subsystems and light smarts to quickly down light fighters.

Though now that there's an eject function it can be pretty fun to fly a Nova or similar fighter in a larger battle, the powerful strafe drive lets you fly rings around incomng fire and enemy ships.

Unfortunately the biggest fans of geometry are the Khaak and you can't fly their ships.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I got some hull parts and claytronics factory that gives me a couple of million creds every now and then but I can't figure out how to look for those bottlenecks and lucrative trades. Is it just using the trade filter and looking for the largest buy orders?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I prefer the Eclipse, i like the way it feels and I can do a 2gun x 2launcher configuration. Heavy swarms to slam subsystems and light smarts to quickly down light fighters.

Though now that there's an eject function it can be pretty fun to fly a Nova or similar fighter in a larger battle, the powerful strafe drive lets you fly rings around incomng fire and enemy ships.

Unfortunately the biggest fans of geometry are the Khaak and you can't fly their ships.

what faction are those ships you mentioned? I've mostly been in teladi space and a little in paranid but haven't seen them at any of the wharfs.

are they good daily drivers for doing whatever?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Those are both Argon ships, I've been playing mostly Argon in my current game. Argon Federation is west/southwest of Teladi space. They are pretty much pure combat ships but you can bum around in them as long as you arn't trying to board capital ships or something.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I think my favorite thing in this game may be how the autopilot will plow straight in to every asteroid in your flight path while breaking you out of travel mode and making a huge circle around ones you were never going to hit.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried that but either the trader never did anything or the station bought from other races anyway :shrug:

You need to use the Logical Overview to restrict the station to only buying the ware in question from your faction.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Tabletops posted:

The two yaki ships are really good for a player to use, you will get the fighter for free follwoing the yaki quest line, but you will have to work hard and save the yaki for their M ship

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mehrunes posted:

You need to use the Logical Overview to restrict the station to only buying the ware in question from your faction.

I did!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tabletops posted:

I just found out the drat game has a ship compare screen hidden in the encyclopedia where you can load out and compare ships.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ughhhh posted:

I got some hull parts and claytronics factory that gives me a couple of million creds every now and then but I can't figure out how to look for those bottlenecks and lucrative trades. Is it just using the trade filter and looking for the largest buy orders?

I'm still learning, but what I did was check shipyards and wharfs for what they're short on. Those are the main resource sink/production endpoint for all production in the game. See what they're short on and sell them that/trace the production back to find bottlenecks.

Quick tip: Having a satellite on a station is not enough. To see what wares it has I had to manually scan the station up to 30%. Then I could always see what a station has in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wonder if I can completely bootstrap the Yaki into a full faction.