Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
extremely torn b/w probing smug euro posting and letting it go because trolling BBC is a public service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know what really 'grinds my gears'?
Everything. I'm pretty riled up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

"We have so much poo poo, just endless piles of it! this means we are really good at making the best poo poo" - yet another proof the American mindset makes making good cheese impossible.

The best beer and cheese and wine are coming from the US right now. And more cheaply and accessible than from Europe.

Hell beer and wine alone, WI by itself has got the whole of the continent beat.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

You know what really 'grinds my gears'?
Everything. I'm pretty riled up.

but ur usually so chill

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the year is 2050. im sitting pretty up in the House on the Rock, gunning down climate refugees while nibbling on excellent wisconsin cheeses. the music machines are playing renditions of "Bang the Drum" by Todd Rundgren and Creedence

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you Old World schmos can only coast on your reputation for so long. step aside, there's a new head cheese-monger in town.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The best beer and cheese and wine are coming from the US right now. And more cheaply and accessible than from Europe.

I mean I guess when you spend your whole life eating chlorinated chicken and HFCS infused everything else, it's bound to lead to some combination of sensory and generalized neurological damage.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

How do you explain yours

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Had some of that American bleu cheese that won worlds best cheese a few years ago and it was pretty loving good. Expensive though.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I mean I guess when you spend your whole life eating chlorinated chicken and HFCS infused everything else, it's bound to lead to some combination of sensory and generalized neurological damage.

the funniest thing is you sound so dumb you actually could be from Wisconsin, idk what to make of you

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
re: cheese chat i wish i had a place like this near me, i'd lose hours in there just wandering around picking out cheese to try for the first time.

https://www.vernscheese.com/retail-store/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Bet the notion of protected geographical origins is just out of frame, laughing too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

products so good the government has to prevent competition

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PokeJoe posted:

Actually that's just sparkling protectionism.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Actually that's just sparkling protectionism.

nah it says its really from champaigne right here on the label this is a real bottle of the real deal

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah it says its really from champaigne right here on the label this is a real bottle of the real deal

It was smuggled into champaigne by criminal gangs from the Netherlands and is actually protectionism of inferior quality.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
listen do you wanna believe that guy or do you wanna believe this authenticity hologram? stare and the hologram. so shiny

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PokeJoe posted:

As long as it stops products marred by the grubby fingers of the American pig-dogs from getting in, it works.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Drinking passion pop champaigne to own the frogs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Authenticity Hologram was good enough for grandad to beat the Nazis in WWII.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I would have thought Wisconsin was on the cold side for wine production.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Weka posted:

They plant the grapes in cheese for properly dense terroir

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Weka posted:

i guess we do the importing from other midwestern states? and grow some of our own somehow maybe? im curious about our wine too, i dont drink much wine

my parents had a grape vine i remember growing up but not those kind of grapes

meanwhile, there is a kickass cider company from Door County, WI called Island Orchard. just fuckin excellent

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

Ehh meant cheese.

There is a reason that WI has the best cheese too, CA and NY. The basing point for milk prices is Eau Claire. The further one is from Eau Claire the more ones milk sells for by law. CA and NY have never let this be changed and it would take a law to change.

So milk is cheaper to buy in WI but the farmers can’t make as much money as farmers in CA and NY selling it. Hence the cheese value add.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Silly American fact:

I heard on QI that all 50 US states have at least one winery. Even Alaska. (I guess they grow the grapes in some kind of artifically heated greenhouse or something.)

And all this "my cheese is better than your cheese" talk is bullshit.

Coz sure, America's cheese making regions may make some very world class cheese, and many varieties of such. This is not the issue. The issue is that for great swathes of the American population the word "cheese" means orange squares wrapped in plastic.

The euro posturing is sad and pathetic at t his point.

I mean even Australia makes good cheese. We even have the class to name a brand of cheese after an olde-timey racial slur.

Can Europe or America say that?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

You can probably grow grapes outside in Alaska for bit of the year I imagine, especially cold hardy ones. Alaska can actually get quite warm and humid in the summer for being so far north.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They make wine in Canada, also ice wine is a thing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The entire peninsula part of Wisconsin is covered in cherry trees.
We make a poo poo load of cherry wines.
Grapes to a lesser extent but they are grown. Typically 'ice wine' is produced.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Silly American fact:
t.

I mean even Australia makes good cheese. We even have the class to name a brand of cheese after an olde-timey racial slur.

Can Europe or America say that?
Don't know about Europe, but America can definitely say its still got some racially themed product names.
Uncle Ben, Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth.
There are probably others.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know about Europe, but America can definitely say its still got some racially themed product names.
Uncle Ben, Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth.
There are probably others.

Gone now, because of Millennials :911::yeshaha::911:

Lots of wines are produced from fruit other than grapes. You never hear about them because they don't fall into the same categories as grape wines. Like a dog breed that isn't in the agreed upon list for show quality.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Flyball posted:

That is great. Did puppet have his Doggles on?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Like please be safe and don't take a photo while you drive but I neeeed to see a dog in a sidecar. NEED.

Luckily my girlfriend snapped a few shots. It's kinda hard to see how the helmet works but it definitely exists. Something I didn't notice earlier is that the actual motorcycle is tiny, almost like one of those little 50 ccs. I guess the dog's name is Waffles? Pretty great setup

Play fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 28, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Play posted:

Luckily my girlfriend snapped a few shots. It's kinda hard to see how the helmet works but it definitely exists. Something I didn't notice earlier is that the actual motorcycle is tiny, almost like one of those little 50 ccs. I guess the dog's name is Waffles? Pretty great setup

Oh my god he made a sidecar for a Honda Grom and that sidecar IS FOR HIS DOG!

:vince:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

The entire peninsula part of Wisconsin is covered in cherry trees.
We make a poo poo load of cherry wines.
Grapes to a lesser extent but they are grown. Typically 'ice wine' is produced.

I’ve never had cherry wine but it sounds like it would taste pretty good

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I've had the German version and it's very nice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just do a quick search for "Door County wine"

And you'll be pretty blown away

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I'm a fan, they make a lot of different fruit wines in southern CO as well (including cherry)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Your can make wine from almost anything. Plum is nice, so are most berries. If you start getting esoteric (clearing out my grandad's house, my dad found bottles of parsnip and courgette wine labeled as bottled in the 80s) it becomes much more... "complex" in the flavour.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dandelion is popular as well, and something I've always wanted to try, given that I have god knows enough dandelions on my acreage if I don't treat it, but, as the owner of two dogs, and host to flocks of turkeys and roaming deer, just aren't, uh, brave enough to give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We make wine from sea grapes here in Florida.