Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My panini press is powered by the battery in my garage that is charged by the panels on my roof

Please apologize now for assuming I am some carbon baron world destroyer you contemptible piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
*over 100 tabs open*
lets get into where your bread and sandwich fillings are sourced

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
how much does it cost to import all those sourdough baguettes from france because IDC I still love them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i was really thinking about moving to the woods lately but i'm also really into dark ambient and darkwave lately

and i need the internet to get to bandcamp to buy more dark ambient and darkwave music so vOv

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Epic High Five posted:

My panini press is powered by the battery in my garage that is charged by the panels on my roof

Please apologize now for assuming I am some carbon baron world destroyer you contemptible piece of poo poo

My panini press is powered by a mountain of lithium mine tailings

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

My panini press is powered by a mountain of lithium mine tailings

My batteries are sodium ion but please go off champ, chief, buddy

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

out of all the chuds i've known by far the most racist one was a boomer firefighter. like 100x more racist than the boomer prison guard i knew around the same time.

I'm from the deep south, and Chicago firefighters are the only people who have taught adult me new slurs for "a black person".

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
have you ever came across an old article that just filled you with rage the way this one has?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Curran_Law_Firm/status/1329862571285942273

dude had a Net Worth of 12 Million prior to his death what the gently caress happened? also gently caress California

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Mar 28, 2021

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Exhibit B

https://mobile.twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1375841880982880256

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Guessing cancer treatments drained bank accounts.

But how the gently caress did he not have a will? That's crazy

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

have you ever came across an old article that just filled you with rage the way this one has?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Curran_Law_Firm/status/1329862571285942273

dude had a Net Worth of 12 Million prior to his death what the gently caress happened? also gently caress California

Celebrities keep their money in blind trusts to make their assets private and avoid probate and inheritance taxes.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i took a bunch of pictures of a "luxury" condo i looked at today to rent that was absolutely full of dead bug carcasses, that would probably kill the mood for food chat

post the bug hotel

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

PotBelly is tasty af imo but I assume i'm going to find out they are awful just like every chain is awful one of these days.

potbelly is really good and it's pretty much the only fast food I bother with

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

i am harry posted:

used cars as an investment vehicle

No joke this is how I fed my family for a few lean years. Buy $1000 car right before Christmas, wash, detail, replace broken taillight, sell $2000 car in april/may after tax returns go out. Eventually the state will go after you for not having a dealers license but you gotta sell like 30 cars a season before they notice. AI actually helped a ton in determining which makes/models would move back when people actually posted there.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

the 2016 lover posted:

it is in fact difficult to ethically consume under capitalism but i think these people are just talking about sandwiches

"i think the lettuce is somewhat too soggy" "whats it like to live without principles" lmfao

oh? you consume food? you filthy loving trash

edit: i love banh mi, you can buy their bread loaves at the really good places

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

holy poo poo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i guess marx is... evergreen

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

oh? you consume food? you filthy loving trash

edit: i love banh mi, you can buy their bread loaves at the really good places

my favourite bubble tea place has stopped selling their pretty decent banh mi :cry:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/ArtCrunchy/status/1375923266024521733

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

what really kicks me is talking with people who think 150 years ago was ancient history

humans have had modern-era brains for at least 10,000 years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joey Steel posted:

I'm from the deep south, and Chicago firefighters are the only people who have taught adult me new slurs for "a black person".

I think it was in the pre-Trump era when journalists discovered that "Mondays" was being used as a slur for black people and that ate up at least one news cycle

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

what really kicks me is talking with people who think 150 years ago was ancient history

it was a pretty good run, although i noticed you typed "have had" instead of just "had".

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't think Marx could've predicted how hilarious it would be.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

i am harry posted:

although i noticed you typed "have had" instead of just "had".

lead
plastic
our brains are being actively deteriorated

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is this not an example the author of this "companion to marx's capital" (it seems to be david harvey) came up with?

i'm going to assume it is until someone pulls the quote from capital directly

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Mar 28, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Cold on a Cob posted:

i was really thinking about moving to the woods lately but i'm also really into dark ambient and darkwave lately

and i need the internet to get to bandcamp to buy more dark ambient and darkwave music so vOv

Starlink!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol we get dumber all the time :twisted:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

imagine humanity begining as persitance hunters, running to catch their prey. now imagine how lovely we are at running now. our brains are also ABOUT THAT BAD I would reckon

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I feel like this is just how it's going to be now, one stupid loving thing after another forever

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

by all metrics that matter[1], we're doing the best we ever have

[1]number

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Marzzle posted:

lol we get dumber all the time :twisted:

SKULL.GIF posted:

lead
plastic
our brains are being actively deteriorated
also maybe growing up in a digital era with computers and internet? idk im late 80s (today is/was actually my birthday) but i certainly feel dumb as poo poo can can't "story-tell" or recollect things to save my life anymore and it seems like brain can't read-write to the hippocampus properly because "eh you can just look it up" mentally. which isn't good considering the field i work in.

i certainly feel absolutely dumb as poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it still feels crazy to me that the boat is still suck

like, if this had happened in the Soviet Union, you'd have an army of Stakhanovites descending on the canal and going ham on it with picks and shovels. Sure, it'd take a couple days for the GAZ heavy equipment to be railed-over to the site, but after a week they'd have at least already dug underneath the thing just with sheer manpower

hell, even the most RAH RAH AMERICA WEST WING fantasy would have had President Jeb Bartlet signing a deal with the Egyptians to send the US Army Corps of Engineers to send an expeditionary force to the canal and build a crane on-site to start taking the containers off the ship right then and there while a high-speed-low-drag REFORGER convoy hauls hundreds of CAT diggers to build the loving ship its own goddamn canal out of there

I get that this is the product of neoliberal rot that you can't organize labor like this anymore because everything is tied up in obligations and contracts and finances and insurance deals and so on and so forth, but some primal voice in the back of my head is screaming IT'S A loving BOAT! IN loving SOIL! JUST DIG IT OUT!!!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There are now 71 erotic fan fictions written about the Suez Canal ship that are hosted on Archive of our Own, and growing really fast. They're shipping the ship.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

also maybe growing up in a digital era with computers and internet? idk im late 80s (today is/was actually my birthday) but i certainly feel dumb as poo poo can can't "story-tell" or recollect things to save my life anymore and it seems like brain can't read-write to the hippocampus properly because "eh you can just look it up" mentally. which isn't good considering the field i work in.

i certainly feel absolutely dumb as poo poo

well there are apparently recorded instances of roman rhetors complaining about how people these days are too eager to write stuff down and refer to it later instead of memorizing their logic fully like the masters did in the old days so it's not a new concern

i don't have a source for that sorry iirc it was in an excerpt or review of Moonwalking with Einstein

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

it still feels crazy to me that the boat is still suck

like, if this had happened in the Soviet Union, you'd have an army of Stakhanovites descending on the canal and going ham on it with picks and shovels. Sure, it'd take a couple days for the GAZ heavy equipment to be railed-over to the site, but after a week they'd have at least already dug underneath the thing just with sheer manpower

hell, even the most RAH RAH AMERICA WEST WING fantasy would have had President Jeb Bartlet signing a deal with the Egyptians to send the US Army Corps of Engineers to send an expeditionary force to the canal and build a crane on-site to start taking the containers off the ship right then and there while a high-speed-low-drag REFORGER convoy hauls hundreds of CAT diggers to build the loving ship its own goddamn canal out of there

I get that this is the product of neoliberal rot that you can't organize labor like this anymore because everything is tied up in obligations and contracts and finances and insurance deals and so on and so forth, but some primal voice in the back of my head is screaming IT'S A loving BOAT! IN loving SOIL! JUST DIG IT OUT!!!

they've got that one excavator

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ever Given Container Ship/Suez Canal (Anthropomorphic)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

is this not an example the author of this "companion to marx's capital" (it seems to be david harvey) came up with?

i'm going to assume it is until someone pulls the quote from capital directly

It is Harvey, though he's not pulling the example completely out of his rear end. Marx does mention the importance of the canal for transport in Capital vol II

quote:

The mere relative length of the transit of the commodities from their place of production to their market produces a difference not only in the first part of the circulation time, the selling time, but also in its second part, the reconversion of the money into the elements of the productive capital, the buying time. Suppose a commodity is shipped to India. This requires, say, four months. Let us assume that the selling time is equal to zero, i.e., the commodities are made to order and are paid for on delivery to the agent of the producer. The return of the money (no matter in what form) requires another four months. Thus it takes altogether eight months before a capital can again function as productive capital, renew the same operation. The differences in the turnover thus occasioned form one of the material bases of the various terms of credit, just as overseas commerce in general, for instance in Venice and Genoa, is one of the sources of the credit system, properly speaking.

[...]

However this reduction miscarried and had to be abandoned. (Since then the Suez Canal has revolutionized all this.) It is a matter of course that with the longer time of commodity circulation the risk of a change of prices in the market increases, since the period in which price changes can take place is lengthened.

and in Capital vol. III

quote:

The chief means of reducing the time of circulation is improved communications. The last fifty years have brought about a revolution in this field, comparable only with the industrial revolution of the latter half of the 18th century. On land the macadamised road has been displaced by the railway, on sea the slow and irregular sailing vessel has been pushed into the background by the rapid and dependable steamboat line, and the entire globe is being girdled by telegraph wires. The Suez Canal has fully opened East Asia and Australia to steamer traffic. The time of circulation of a shipment of commodities to East Asia, at least twelve months in 1847 (cf. Buch II, S. 235 [English edition: Karl Marx, Capital, Vol. II, pp. 251-52. — Ed.]), has now been reduced to almost as many weeks. The two large centres of the crises of 1825-57, America and India, have been brought from 70 to 90 per cent nearer to the European industrial countries by this revolution in transport, and have thereby lost a good deal of their explosive nature. The period of turnover of the total world commerce has been reduced to the same extent, and the efficacy of the capital involved in it has been more than doubled or trebled. It goes without saying that this has not been without effect on the rate of profit.

Engels talks about it in a footnote in vol III, also

quote:

[As I have already stated elsewhere [English edition: Vol. I. — Ed.], a change has taken place here since the last major general crisis. The acute form of the periodic process with its former ten-year cycle, appears to have given way to a more chronic, long drawn out, alternation between a relatively short and slight business improvement and a relatively long, indecisive depression-taking place in the various industrial countries at different times. But perhaps it is only a matter of a prolongation of the duration of the cycle. In the early years of world commerce, 1845-47, it can be shown that these cycles lasted about five years; from 1847 to 1867 the cycle is clearly ten years; is it possible that we are now in the preparatory stage of a new world crash of unparalleled vehemence? Many things seem to point in this direction. Since the last general crisis of 1867 many profound changes have taken place. The colossal expansion of the means of transportation and communication — ocean liners, railways, electrical telegraphy, the Suez Canal — has made a real world-market a fact. The former monopoly of England in industry has been challenged by a number of competing industrial countries; infinitely greater and varied fields have been opened in all parts of the world for the investment of surplus European capital, so that it is far more widely distributed and local over-speculation may be more easily overcome. By means of all this, most of the old breeding-grounds of crises and opportunities for their development have been eliminated or strongly reduced. At the same time, competition in the domestic market recedes before the cartels and trusts, while in the foreign market it is restricted by protective tariffs, with which all major industrial countries, England excepted, surround themselves. But these protective tariffs are nothing but preparations for the ultimate general industrial war, which shall decide who has supremacy on the world-market. Thus every factor, which works against a repetition of the old crises, carries within itself the germ of a far more powerful future crisis. — F. E.]

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Apparently that's it's real name in Mandarin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread posted:

quote:

Yay! We successfully did time travel!!!
But which year is it? Let me ask that person over there!
Hey! how do you go from Europe to Asia by ship?
- You have to go around the Cape of Good Hope.
gently caress, it's before the 19th century.
Hey! What is the hot topic world wide now?
- Slavery on cotton farming.
gently caress, it's before the Civil War
What is the biggest problem the world is facing?
- A pandemic that is killing lot's of Europeans.
gently caress, the black plague; we are in the 14th century.