Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hbag posted:

unfortunately i dont have the Big Book of Vim on my person at all times

Wrong about that one too.
code:

man vim

(It doesn't tell you about this specific feature because the docs are poo poo. But now u know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Dont Touch ME posted:

Wrong about that one too.
code:
man vim
(It doesn't tell you about this specific feature because the docs are poo poo. But now u know.)

yes i am well aware that manpages exist
and you said in your own post that the vim manpage doesnt tell you how to do that, contradicting that whole snarky-rear end post

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are you getting trolled in the linux thread?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

may i introduce u to this thing called searchign on the internet this poo poo is so fckin tite lol

say ur thinking to urself like "woah like does vim have like remote editing?" well this poo poo is fckin gold bro. just type in that lil box rite thrre like
vim remote editing
and the craziest poo poo happens... not gonna spoil it tho. u gotta see it 4 urself :holy:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Dont Touch ME posted:

may i introduce u to this thing called searchign on the internet this poo poo is so fckin tite lol

say ur thinking to urself like "woah like does vim have like remote editing?" well this poo poo is fckin gold bro. just type in that lil box rite thrre like
vim remote editing
and the craziest poo poo happens... not gonna spoil it tho. u gotta see it 4 urself :holy:

oh yeah you were the diet coke seraph bragging to everyone in the gbs bitcoin thread about how rich you are or some poo poo right
perhaps you can try typing how to not be an insufferable shitbag in that box see what happens

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hbag posted:

oh yeah you were the diet coke seraph bragging to everyone in the gbs bitcoin thread about how rich you are or some poo poo right
perhaps you can try typing how to not be an insufferable shitbag in that box see what happens

apropos "Further Posts"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

are you getting trolled in the linux thread?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as the Linux thread, is in fact, the GNU/Linux thread, or as I've recently taken to calling it, the GNU plus Linux thread. Linux is not an operating system thread unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU thread made useful by the GNU core devs, FSF board members and vital gentoo CFLAGS comprising a full shitpost as defined by POSIX.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hobbesmaster posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as the Linux thread, is in fact, the GNU/Linux thread, or as I've recently taken to calling it, the GNU plus Linux thread. Linux is not an operating system thread unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU thread made useful by the GNU core devs, FSF board members and vital gentoo CFLAGS comprising a full shitpost as defined by POSIX.

kinda hate that this made me lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a rough snort

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
text editors have integrated support for remote editing over ssh? what the gently caress is this poo poo

you get remote editing over ssh by running 'sshfs host:path whatever/local/path' and then using your editor to open the "local" file that is actually remote

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Lysidas posted:

text editors have integrated support for remote editing over ssh? what the gently caress is this poo poo

you get remote editing over ssh by running 'sshfs host:path whatever/local/path' and then using your editor to open the "local" file that is actually remote

but why would i do that instead of just using the editor's built-in functionality to do it slightly more conveniently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

have you seen the thread title?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the other thing many of those editors use that to support (at least emacs tramp mode idk about vi but i assume so) is a sudo:// protocol which is real nice for quick changes to config files

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lysidas posted:

You get remote editing over ssh by running vim on the other machine. The entire point of vim is that it's everywhere.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not on aix nor hpux nor solaris

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I'll bear that in mind if I ever go back in time to 1990 or whatever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

come to think of it i usually have to install it on rhel

oh well i'm sure you have admin rights

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hbag posted:

but why would i do that instead of just using the editor's built-in functionality to do it slightly more conveniently

because if you use your editors built-n functionality you can use your editor but if you use your OS's functionality you can use any program you want

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

obviously the answer here is to just use ed

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

pseudorandom name posted:

because if you use your editors built-n functionality you can use your editor but if you use your OS's functionality you can use any program you want

ok but the program i want is my editor

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the vscode remote extension is great

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

carry on then posted:

yeah too bad the rest of vscode sucks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hbag posted:

yeah too bad the rest of vscode sucks

i'm sure this is a reasoned critique drawn from a deep knowledge of the domain

oh wait this is the linux thread

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

carry on then posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I install wine, and use notepad++. The best linux editor.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Lysidas posted:

Vim not only supports scp, but also http and ftp!

You're right though that it is a bit superfluous. But all the more tools in the endless swiss army knife of modern posix environs.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

pram posted:

its not on aix nor hpux nor solaris

ah yes, hp-sux and aches. operating systems worth caring about in 2021.

aix libc printf long double bugs fixed yet? reported in 2004, ibm seems rather uninterested.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

mediaphage posted:

kinda hate that this made me lol

mods

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lysidas posted:

unfortunately i've these days gotten fully spoiled by having visual studio code just downloading and run the actual meat of the editor on the remote host. a bit of a different use scenario, since it assumes the tools you want to use are on the remote, but that is more usually true for my needs.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

i'm sure this is a reasoned critique drawn from a deep knowledge of the domain

oh wait this is the linux thread

Microsoft
JavaScript
Electron

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

vs code has a lot of annoying defaults that make it really tedious to set up the first time

the microsoft yaml plugin also doesnt understand type tags which is lmao. they're gonna create a transpiler and an overlay markup probably

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

xtal posted:

Microsoft
JavaScript
Electron

people are free to create an alternative with all the features and none of these things but so far it hasn't materialized yet

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

people are free to create an alternative with all the features and none of these things but so far it hasn't materialized yet

We were just talking about all the things better than vs code 4 seconds ago.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

xtal posted:

We were just talking about all the things better than vs code 4 seconds ago.

i didn't say "better" because your conception of better is broke brained and stuck in 1985

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Young ppl today never had to learn why we don't use Microsoft 😤

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
imagine defending vscode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vscode is bad it's just better than everything else, cross platform, free, and incredibly easy to make add-ons for, so for some reason it's fairly popular.