Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Mine will not update when it is on a wireless charger. It seems like it has to be directly plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I let it gently caress off long enough that I can just force it to update straight to 14.4.2 and be done with it for the time being. :shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Calculating a 2 year lifespan for an iphone is kinda silly, Apple is good with support, a new iphone should last 3 years minimum and I know people who've happily kept theirs for 4-5 with a battery upgrade.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah my X was the first iPhone I took past 3 years and the most noticeable issues were the camera and the aging battery.

The camera is so drat good on the 12 I can imagine keeping this 3-4 years.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Calculating a 2 year lifespan for an iphone is kinda silly, Apple is good with support, a new iphone should last 3 years minimum and I know people who've happily kept theirs for 4-5 with a battery upgrade.

I bought my original generation iPhone SE 3 1/2 years ago and plan on keeping it past when it receives new versions of iOS. I recently got the battery replaced in the device.

There's this belief in this thread that a compelling time to upgrade an iPhone is when it no longer gets the new version of iOS, largely for device security reasons, but old versions of iOS still receive security updates. Apple just released a security update for iOS 12 yesterday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
How long you keep your phone depends on a combo of just how much age factors, especially battery and “slower phone” bother you versus new phone. Which, the separation gets bigger as you have the phone longer, IE the 12 is out now, irs a bigger jump up form iPhone 8 compared to if you have an iPhone 11.

The phones have def plateaued to where even “older” phones like a 7 or 8 hold their value better than like, an iPhone 5 that because noticeably slow at some point (which was still 4-5 years after its release).

I upgrade sooner because I like having the latest phone, and for me I use it so much that it makes sense for me. It’s just depends on your personal preference, and how much you want to spend on a new phone, or save by keeping your current phone money wise.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

silence_kit posted:

I bought my original generation iPhone SE 3 1/2 years ago and plan on keeping it past when it receives new versions of iOS. I recently got the battery replaced in the device.

There's this belief in this thread that a compelling time to upgrade an iPhone is when it no longer gets the new version of iOS, largely for device security reasons, but old versions of iOS still receive security updates. Apple just released a security update for iOS 12 yesterday.

That makes me wonder what the oldest phone still receiving security updates is, and what’s the oldest phone they’ll replace the battery on?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

That makes me wonder what the oldest phone still receiving security updates is, and what’s the oldest phone they’ll replace the battery on?

5S is the oldest phone that got yesterday’s update. hardware service lifespan is five years after discontinuation date guaranteed and up to seven years if parts are available

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There was someone who was splitting fantastical subscriptions. Is anyone still doing this ?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I bought my X in November 2017 (from Duckman!) and it is still an amazing phone. Just did a battery upgrade last month and I am hoping to be set for another 2 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part about smartphones lately is that if you don't care about cameras, their lifespan goes way up. Apple loves to brag about how badass and fast all their latest processors are but if all you're doing is texting and streaming stuff it's wasted horsepower.

It's unfortunate you have to replace the battery every 2-3 years but we can't have everything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The best part about smartphones lately is that if you don't care about cameras, their lifespan goes way up. Apple loves to brag about how badass and fast all their latest processors are but if all you're doing is texting and streaming stuff it's wasted horsepower.

It's unfortunate you have to replace the battery every 2-3 years but we can't have everything.

Agreed, although the badass processors is a good bit of what makes them last that long (I think you’re somewhat inferring that, so just emphasizing).

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I bought my X in November 2017 (from Duckman!) and it is still an amazing phone. Just did a battery upgrade last month and I am hoping to be set for another 2 years.

:cheers: glad it’s still working out !

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can anyone recommend a good multi-port USB-C charger? I ordered this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KDNZBWX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works OK but it has issues with having more than one device charging. I guess whatever 'intelligent' power delivery it uses isn't too intelligent so sometimes you have to reseat the cable to reset the port and make it charge. Like, if I have my iPhone 12 charging on a USB-C port and my watch charging on the USB-A port, sometimes one of them won't actually start charging until I reseat the cable.

I'd prefer at least 2 usb-c ports (since Apple has started bundling near everything with usb-c cables) and a USB-A port.

Also, does anyone want an X/XS saddle brown leather case? It's already got the patina. I'll just give it to you, all you gotta pay is the shipping costs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Good job there when the 2FA. You tried?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

Ok, then use Spotify?

I'm not switching from Apple Music so spare me the sales pitch.

What is wrong with goons like this, you can’t have it two ways- this is not an echo chamber. If you can come proclaiming Apple Music is great, people can come saying it isn’t. gently caress off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

What is wrong with goons like this, you can’t have it two ways- this is not an echo chamber. If you can come proclaiming Apple Music is great, people can come saying it isn’t. gently caress off.

What is wrong with goons like this, who can't read the entire discussion and spout off on poo poo taken out of context?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I still don’t think I have found a service that does what what Pandora used to do as well as they did. I don’t know if it was the fact they analyzed music more than other services do now but there recommendation engine was unparalleled and so easy to use. Just load a playlist thumbs up and down or skip and it just learned what you liked.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Disappointing Pie posted:

I still don’t think I have found a service that does what what Pandora used to do as well as they did. I don’t know if it was the fact they analyzed music more than other services do now but there recommendation engine was unparalleled and so easy to use. Just load a playlist thumbs up and down or skip and it just learned what you liked.

Given Pandora's origins (and that their secret sauce is proprietary), that's not surprising.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just for clarification, if I install the current public beta for 14.5, if I want to install the official release when it drops, all I have to do is remove the public beta profile, restart the phone, and check for updates?

Apple's own directions state: When the next public version of iOS is available, install it to move back to a non-beta version of iOS. If an update is already available, you can install it by going to Settings > General > Software Update, but the iOS version must be later than the version you have.

Are they referencing "14.5" or the build number?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

x-post :

Inner Light posted:

Dunno where to post this but just got news that LastPass is going to paid only for more than 1 device (phone or PC), which is gonna make me immediately want an alternative.

Any consensus best password managers that is just as easy / set-and-forget as LP?

I have been a LP apologist for a while but no more!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Inner Light posted:

x-post :

Bitwarden is the answer, anyway. Forget 1pass.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bobfather posted:

Bitwarden is the answer, anyway. Forget 1pass.

Free, Bitwarden, paid, 1Password.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Buff Hardback posted:

Free, Bitwarden, paid, 1Password.

I think paid Bitwarden outclasses 1Pass. Self-hosted bitwarden_rs is also paid Bitwarden for free.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bitwarden all the way, very easy to port over from Lastpass.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone ever tried Bitwarden self hosted in a business? Any gotchas to know about?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

x-post :

1 Password has worked fantastically for me, and for what it does it’s actually fairly cheap. Can recommend it enough.

Never looked at last pass, so no comment there.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Snuffman posted:

Bitwarden all the way, very easy to port over from Lastpass.

And Keep rear end apparently which I've done between reading a few posts back and this one. Since it's no longer maintained. It had the best name of free pw software.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

And Keep rear end apparently which I've done between reading a few posts back and this one. Since it's no longer maintained. It had the best name of free pw software.

Keepass is absolutely still maintained, but it's a free for all ecosystem. There's a group at the top that make the reference version of the software and they leave porting it to other OS' up to other people. The current best option for iOS is KeePassium (there's some others out there that are technically fine but KeePassium has the best featuere set you can get without paying).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

xzzy posted:

Keepass is absolutely still maintained, but it's a free for all ecosystem. There's a group at the top that make the reference version of the software and they leave porting it to other OS' up to other people. The current best option for iOS is KeePassium (there's some others out there that are technically fine but KeePassium has the best featuere set you can get without paying).

Ohhhhhh, thanks. I was wondering why the desktop version had updated but the iOS app I have keeps saying "it's not you, it's me."

Well now I have two options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So the issue with LP is that you have to pay for it now? Lol

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I just use iCloud Keychain :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

1password 2fa integration and Privacy.com card creation is worth the $36/yr for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

1password 2fa integration and Privacy.com card creation is worth the $36/yr for me.

Still don’t understand how the 1P 2fa integration makes any sense. It reduces the “something you know” + “something you have”, which are the two factors, to just your 1pass credentials. Why is this desirable???

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

tuyop posted:

Still don’t understand how the 1P 2fa integration makes any sense. It reduces the “something you know” + “something you have”, which are the two factors, to just your 1pass credentials. Why is this desirable???

Because 99% of attacks are using credential stuffing anyway. It's highly unlikely that someone's going to come and beat you up for your password and your 2FA code, whether or not you're using a password manager. 2FA being enabled just makes them go "okay cool we're not getting into that account

If someone managed to get into my phone physically, they'd have my 2FA app anyway. If someone wanted to attack my 1Password account without one of my devices, they'd need to crack my 4+ word passphrase, the secret key, and then 2FA with either U2F from my physical keys or the OTP stored on my phone.

very unlikely

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

tuyop posted:

So the issue with LP is that you have to pay for it now? Lol

Well, there’s also their history of security gently caress ups. They’ve been a poor choice compared to 1Password, bitwarden, and keepass for years.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lastpass is insecure by design, with the hope being it's toughened enough to not be an issue. This has led to multiple completely elementary attacks being done against it.
1Password / bitwarden / keepASS are secure by design. Don't use lastpass.

Unrelated question: is there any way to tell when an iOS version goes EOL? I'm sure I used to be able to look this up, but it seems I can't. I'm specifically wondering when iOS 12 stops getting security fixes.
e: I'm aware it got one this week, which is why I'm asking :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just for clarification, if I install the current public beta for 14.5, if I want to install the official release when it drops, all I have to do is remove the public beta profile, restart the phone, and check for updates?

Apple's own directions state: When the next public version of iOS is available, install it to move back to a non-beta version of iOS. If an update is already available, you can install it by going to Settings > General > Software Update, but the iOS version must be later than the version you have.

Are they referencing "14.5" or the build number?

Build number.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

I just use iCloud Keychain :shrug:

Which is fine unless you ever want to use a non-Apple device.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

Using a non Apple device ? Obvious heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

I always have my phone with me though so I can find the password I need. :shrug: