Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

X-O posted:

I get the sense that a lot of these people that orchestrate these groups aren't so much fans at all but just see these petty genre wars as a place to insert their hatred into something other than just a political realm so it can take root. And that way they can infect someone's impressionable mind through an avenue that person is susceptible to liking. They can use this as a front to convert more people to their ways.

Some of the people I've seen converted, and I mean latinos which is the side of my world, seem to fall for the "being part of something big". Then add the rampant problem of misogyny in a lot of our countries and you see them falling easier to other creepy movements that overlap with the gators. I have an old classmate from middleschool that has been parroting incel talking points mixed with nerdy hoobies. Then there's other dude who quickly spiraled to "Why are people so offended? I should be free to be racist!!!" (he got an instant unfollow). They also don't search for sources. They get their information from click-bait facebook pages that translate whatever they find is trending on Twitter or youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I get the sense that a lot of these people that orchestrate these groups aren't so much fans at all but just see these petty genre wars as a place to insert their hatred into something other than just a political realm so it can take root. And that way they can infect someone's impressionable mind through an avenue that person is susceptible to liking. They can use this as a front to convert more people to their ways.

Honestly I think a lot of members of the groups fall into that category too. Like I can believe they like video games/movies/comics whatever but they're not Fans in the way they like to declare themselves to be. A vast majority of them seem to have less knowledge of what they claim to be the ultrafans of than a wikipedia summary. You can see that a lot of complaints are just 'passed along' from someone higher up and repeated without critical thought or care, just a desire to attack something that 'offends' them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I don't want to go that far and gatekeep and try to tell someone they're not a true fan if they don't have some deeper love or knowledge. But I absolutely do believe there are people being manipulated by others that don't give a poo poo about this stuff at all and are just there to foster hate.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think that was evident a while ago, like when they complained about stuff like Jane Thor or Sam Cap. Anyone who reads comics know it's not the first time either's been replaced, and knew full well that things would eventually return to normal. A large part of these people just like having something "woke" to complain about

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Ed Brubaker is not happy with how he and Steve Epting have been treated by Marvel.

Ed Brubaker posted:

And of course, today the FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER show debuts on Disney+, which I sadly have very mixed feelings about. I'm really happy for Sebastian Stan, who I think is both a great guy and the perfect Bucky/Winter Soldier, and I'm glad to see him getting more screen time finally. Also, Anthony Mackie is amazing as the Falcon, and everyone at Marvel Studios that I've ever met (all the way up to Kevin Feige) have been nothing but kind to me... but at the same time, for the most part all Steve Epting and I have gotten for creating the Winter Soldier and his storyline is a "thanks" here or there, and over the years that's become harder and harder to live with. I've even seen higher-ups on the publishing side try to take credit for my work a few times, which was pretty galling (to be clear, I'm NOT talking about Tom Breevort, who was a great editor and really helpful).

So yeah, mixed feeling, and maybe it'll always be like that (but I sure hope not). Work-for-hire work is what it is, and I'm honestly thrilled to have co-created something that's become such a big part of pop culture - or even pop subculture with all the Bucky-Steve slash fiction - and that run on Cap was one of the happiest times of my career, certainly while doing superhero comics. Also, I have a great life as a writer and much of it is because of Cap and the Winter Soldier bringing so many readers to my other work. But I also can't deny feeling a bit sick to my stomach sometimes when my inbox fills up with people wanting comments on the show.

So... I'm sure I'll watch it, and you should too if you're a Marvel movie universe fan, but I'll probably be waiting a while to check it out myself. So please don't email me any spoilers, I guess, but go give Sebastian Stan lots of love wherever he is online.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So, 1. :(

But also lmao that he specifically brings up stucky slashfic

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

X-O posted:

I mean I don't want to go that far and gatekeep and try to tell someone they're not a true fan if they don't have some deeper love or knowledge. But I absolutely do believe there are people being manipulated by others that don't give a poo poo about this stuff at all and are just there to foster hate.

It wouldn't be an issue that they didn't have the deepest knowledge if they themselves weren't positioning themselves as gatekeepers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It wouldn't be an issue that they didn't have the deepest knowledge if they themselves weren't positioning themselves as gatekeepers.

I was talking about a possible Ms. Marvel movie or something with a friend of mine who's never read the comics and he mentioned that it'd be cool as long as they didn't put SJW themes into it and, like, that's what the comics are all about, my dude.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Uthor posted:

I was talking about a possible Ms. Marvel movie or something with a friend of mine who's never read the comics and he mentioned that it'd be cool as long as they didn't put SJW themes into it and, like, that's what the comics are all about, my dude.

And that friend went on to make the Starship Troopers sequels.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

X-O posted:

I think this is explicitly a neo-Nazi etc. strategy. Like, "we recommend you, aspiring little Hitler, try doing this poo poo" kind of neo-Nazi strategy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

That's explicitly how and why GamerGate got started, in fact. "We can exploit this unfocused, performative anger and open up a new front in the culture war."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Uthor posted:

Yeah, we've had the letter sent in response to Giant-Size X-Men posted before which in essence goes "I hate this entire new team because minorities and also Colossus being a Soviet, please get rid of the entire new team except Wolverine and Banshee can come back for a guest appearance now and then. Nightcrawler needs to die heroically and Storm and Colossus should go back to Africa." So it's always been there, but now it's easier than ever to make being a gatekeeping dick your entire identity because you have such a large support group.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate jumps from enemy to enemy, which usually includes their own when they're deemed not good enough for Obese Pie Man.

"The only way to defeat SJWZ is to give me $$$$!!!"
"You probably shouldn't talk about lining Chinese people against a wall and shooting them with a tommy gun."
"NPC ALERT! GIVE ME MORE MONEY FOR NAZI FROG BOOK TO FIX THIS GUY!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

If someone is being a hateful poo poo, I will absolutely gatekeep and nerd shame them. It's super fun, especially if you immediately pivot into welcoming someone way less knowledgeable into the hobby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

If someone is being a hateful poo poo, I will absolutely gatekeep and nerd shame them. It's super fun, especially if you immediately pivot into welcoming someone way less knowledgeable into the hobby.

I tried to gatekeep a literal nazi away from comics and I got written up for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

X-O posted:

On the subject of "foster hate", I recommend avoiding any and all internet commentary on the next Thor movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
false, you should engage with the commentary regarding jane's muscles and shipping her with valkyrie imo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

false, you should engage with the commentary regarding jane's muscles and shipping her with valkyrie imo

I shipped Valkyrie with Captain Marvel, since it also seemed like Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson did that too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, same, but i don't think carol is in love and thunder

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 5, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 8, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know it's super cliche and probably sexist, but men (or women, but percentage wise it's usually men that need to told this) the youngest you should ever date is half your age plus 7.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 5, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Hey, I remember your stuff, it was really good!

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I hope you're doing better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Honestly there's no good reason for someone 30+ to be forming relationships with anyone under the age of 21(at a minimum), and every time I see it come up, even in the context of 'technically legal' it raises massive red flags. In the fandom communities over the last several years, from youtubers, to video games, etc. it's coming out how so many of the toxic abuse stories start with someone 18 or even younger and a person with a decade+ on them usually exploiting their youth or naivete, insisting that "this is just how adults are" to defend gaslighting and lovely treatment.

With the whole room/apartment I'm not too big on keeping my space super clean and organized, but if someone did that poo poo to me I'd be restraining myself from putting their head through a wall because I didn't ask for it and I don't want someone rooting all through my personal belongings. That's even without a history of being snooped on by my family. It's one of those dumb romcom gestures that makes people look good absent context but is an amazingly useful tool for abusers.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 5, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 5, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 8, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Edit:

No quite but removed just in case

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 5, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 5, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hell, they even rent them to foreigners (inside a national park, for that extra :clint: cherry on top) with only an alleged driver's license as collateral! Good thing I only wanted to shoot some clays.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 5, 2021

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thanks for doing this, Jin.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I really hope this is the end of Geoff John's career (i know it's not).

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1379426635540168710?s=20

(The article also includes more lovely details about Justice League's Whedon/Johns era and at best, what could be considered "blindspot racism").

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like that Geoff gets someone to come to his defense saying "Look he put Cyborg on the team in the first place, nobody knows more about how to do Cyborg right!" when everyone was rightfully making GBS threads on Johns for putting Cyborg on the team because it was so terribly done. You loving know that Johns fed that bullshit line to someone.

"Geoff would like to be referred to as Lebanese-American in the article"

Fuckin' hell.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would argue Johns pretty much destroyed cyborg as a viable character for almost 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

I like that Geoff gets someone to come to his defense saying "Look he put Cyborg on the team in the first place, nobody knows more about how to do Cyborg right!" when everyone was rightfully making GBS threads on Johns for putting Cyborg on the team because it was so terribly done. You loving know that Johns fed that bullshit line to someone.

"Geoff would like to be referred to as Lebanese-American in the article"

Fuckin' hell.

Yeah, that only happened because rather than using the Green Lantern that a bunch of laypeople recognize for a Justice League reboot, he went with Hal, and hesomeone realized that an all-white lineup would be a bad look.