Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Martman posted:

Also I just learned it's called wetrix, not wetris
The Tetris Company is very litigious, so that tracks. to be fair though, tetris was wholly owned by a former soviet government tech monopoly up until 2005, meaning the original creator basically didn't make dollar one from it until then. i'd probably be a bit sue-happy too.

--

the original gameboy kirby was mostly developed on a hacked nes instead of a computer, a process described by sakurai as "like using a lunchbox to make lunch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

And then... He made the kirby games be all about eating that lunch :aaa:

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Made without a keyboard... genius

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Martman posted:

Wave race 64 + wetrix ftw, n64 ushered in a golden age of cool water in gaming

Also I just learned it's called wetrix, not wetris

i mixed up this and winback and accidentally called it a racial slur on stream and got cancelled.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

*makes note not to call anyone a w*ntrix*

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1374815465281818629?s=19

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
In Ocarina of Time if you hold a Deku Stick near a butterfly it'll land on the stick and turn into a fairy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I wanna take a ride on your deku stick

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
For a very long time I didn’t know that you needed to only have the 3rd level houses to max out populations in Actraiser. Still feel bad killing my people with earthquakes to get rid of the crappy houses.

Recently learned that it’s even more complex and there’s a whole bunch of crap you can do to max out growth even though it’s totally unnecessary. Stuff like never building bridges and building paths in very specific ways.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Zen64_/status/1375511574899617793

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

holy poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hell yes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tato posted:

For a very long time I didn’t know that you needed to only have the 3rd level houses to max out populations in Actraiser. Still feel bad killing my people with earthquakes to get rid of the crappy houses.

Recently learned that it’s even more complex and there’s a whole bunch of crap you can do to max out growth even though it’s totally unnecessary. Stuff like never building bridges and building paths in very specific ways.

maxing it all out is a huge pain in the rear end in the western version, the japanese version is a bit better about it and is generally more fun because the action stages have more enemies

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

how many houses you can build also depends on how many points you scored in the action segments so if you really want to max out your level you have to farm enemies. the game doesnt tell you about this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:staredog:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

how many houses you can build also depends on how many points you scored in the action segments so if you really want to max out your level you have to farm enemies. the game doesnt tell you about this

iirc maxing out your population doesn't extremely matter, though. you can squeeze one or two more levels out of it if you farm for points and watch for bridges, but you don't need those levels. the sim sections are mostly just there to build into areas to find new spells and other unlocks.

it's weird but when you look at sim stuff from that era like SNES sim city and counter intuitive stuff like not building roads, stacking residential areas, only building a single fire dept, etc. it's actually about par for the course.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's still crazy that they tossed the entire gimmick of the game for the sequel.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

P-Mack posted:

It's still crazy that they tossed the entire gimmick of the game for the sequel.

yeah, disappointing. its a gorgeous game but it doesnt even stack up to the action portions of its predecessor

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mycophobia posted:

yeah, disappointing. its a gorgeous game but it doesnt even stack up to the action portions of its predecessor

yeah i love the action portions in the first actraiser, it's kind of hard to describe but the way you move in that game feels really good, the way you can land and do a low slash at the same time

Bicyclops posted:

iirc maxing out your population doesn't extremely matter, though. you can squeeze one or two more levels out of it if you farm for points and watch for bridges, but you don't need those levels. the sim sections are mostly just there to build into areas to find new spells and other unlocks.

it's weird but when you look at sim stuff from that era like SNES sim city and counter intuitive stuff like not building roads, stacking residential areas, only building a single fire dept, etc. it's actually about par for the course.

yeah thats true but the final boss rush can be a bit poo poo without quite a bit of practice, the japanese version doesnt have this problem though and like i said has better action sections too. i heard the european version somehow has an even more different setup that sort of combines the japanese and US games but i havent tried it yet

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The Spider Mastermind in Doom has arms. Always thought it was just a brain on robot legs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kongming posted:

The Spider Mastermind in Doom has arms. Always thought it was just a brain on robot legs.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
today, looking up an item in xenogears, I found out that Relm is Shadow's daughter in FF6

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

looking up an item in xenogears
Explain.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pierzak posted:

Explain.

the momento chain, rico only item that confirms he is Kaisers son

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

today, looking up an item in xenogears, I found out that Relm is Shadow's daughter in FF6

there are still people who will argue that this isn't true, despite the fact that game all but puts a big neon sign that says "RELM'S DAD" next to shadow during some of his dreams.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

the momento chain, rico only item that confirms he is Kaisers son

Yes, but how is that related to Relm/Shadow?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

there are still people who will argue that this isn't true, despite the fact that game all but puts a big neon sign that says "RELM'S DAD" next to shadow during some of his dreams.

Pierzak posted:

*in robert forster voice* found one

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Pierzak posted:

yeah man, keep putting the screws to this guy, find out how he REALLY came across this video game trivia

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Pierzak posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lmao

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

just found out i'm in berayal at krondor. don't remember doing this but that's me. there i am.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

just found out i'm in berayal at krondor. don't remember doing this but that's me. there i am.

Peter the Gay.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Peter the Gay.

yes?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Kongming posted:

https://twitter.com/romero/status/542948411733860352

Even Romero thinks that idea was stupid but maybe it wouldn't make spiderdemon such a pushover boss

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

the ballroom scene in FF 8 takes place in the cafeteria but with different angles and lighting and that never occurred to me until today.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

man nurse posted:

the ballroom scene in FF 8 takes place in the cafeteria but with different angles and lighting and that never occurred to me until today.

Woah

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i love canoe dog

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

man nurse posted:

for some reason i never thought about where that's even supposed to take place. it's just the CG movie section of the garden or whatever.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/derek_omni/status/1394443483146952704?s=21

O_O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol cool