Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does Barty Crouch Jr have any real personality besides apparently method acting his way into being Moody?

He was hella into a tiny radicalized community of racists like a lot of well-connected failsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does Barty Crouch Jr have any real personality besides apparently method acting his way into being Moody?

He resents the Death Eaters who avoided capture or got slaps on the wrist. When he tortures Draco it's not because it's what Moody would do, it's because he loving hates the Malfoys.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shwoo posted:

Quirrell also teaches you Lumos in the PC version, which is used to make glowing platforms appear for some reason.

I assume in preset locations. I'd love a Harry Potter game that's like an immersive sim physics puzzler where you can just conjure platforms where you like or streams of water or fling things and pile them and players have lots of ways to solve what they need to do. Have some limits, maybe the number of things you can conjure at once or something, but generally have physics playground freedom with magic powers.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TBF, the real Moody would have probably made Malfoy wish that he’d gotten hit by sectumsempra instead for trying to get in a cheap shot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MikeJF posted:

I assume in preset locations. I'd love a Harry Potter game that's like an immersive sim physics puzzler where you can just conjure platforms where you like or streams of water or fling things and pile them and players have lots of ways to solve what they need to do. Have some limits, maybe the number of things you can conjure at once or something, but generally have physics playground freedom with magic powers.

This would be a very fun and creative use of the setting, so it won't happen until JK Rowling is dead and buried

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I do wonder why there's a lack of Potter-like games. There's some games with decent spellcasting gameplay but they're all set in generic medieval fantasy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

halokiller posted:

I do wonder why there's a lack of Potter-like games. There's some games with decent spellcasting gameplay but they're all set in generic medieval fantasy.

And it's not like you'd have trouble making it so incredibly potter-like it may as well be in the universe, given how much of it would just be 'oh it's just a standard commonwealth boarding school, they all have houses and uniforms like that'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Persona is basically like halfway there at least.

In general Japan already has more teenagers in high school uniforms with magical powers than you could ever want.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If your definition of Potter-like game is one where you attend a magical boarding school with houses while having school hijinx, then Twisted Wonderland is the game for you. It's a dating sim where you're a student in a school and all your classmates are hot twink/twunk versions of Disney movie characters, specifically the villains.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

amigolupus posted:

If your definition of Potter-like game is one where you attend a magical boarding school with houses while having school hijinx, then Twisted Wonderland is the game for you. It's a dating sim where you're a student in a school and all your classmates are hot twink/twunk versions of Disney movie characters, specifically the villains.

holy gently caress I4; in love

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Witchbrook does tick all the boxes, but it's being developed by Chucklefish so I'll be sure to keep my expectations super low.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just watch Little Witch Academia.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

halokiller posted:

Witchbrook does tick all the boxes, but it's being developed by Chucklefish so I'll be sure to keep my expectations super low.

I'd just write off anything developed by those chucklefucks and if it happens to be good, it'll be a crazy wild surprise.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zesty posted:

I'd just write off anything developed by those chucklefucks and if it happens to be good, it'll be a crazy wild surprise.

Look at this fool who's never played Stardew Valley. Like an idiot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Roth posted:

Just watch Little Witch Academia.

I need to watch the tv series version, I've only seen the first thing they did.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CainFortea posted:

Look at this fool who's never played Stardew Valley. Like an idiot.

Chucklefish didn't make Stardew. They "published it" and the game creator cut them off and Stardew is now self-published.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well fine now I'M the idiot cause apparently I bought it in the Chucklefish times cause every time i started it i'd get the chucklefish intro.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm pretty sure there's like two paragraphs in OotP where Harry is trying to build lesson plans and learn new stuff so he can teach it to other people.

It's a very busy book where nothing much happens until the end.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Zesty posted:

Chucklefish didn't make Stardew. They "published it" and the game creator cut them off and Stardew is now self-published.

CainFortea posted:

Well fine now I'M the idiot cause apparently I bought it in the Chucklefish times cause every time i started it i'd get the chucklefish intro.

The only games Chucklefish made was Starbound and the wildly mediocre Wargroove. They also have a really ugly history of being exploitative and toxic and might not be worth giving money to even if Witchbrook turns out decent

Speleothing posted:

I'm pretty sure there's like two paragraphs in OotP where Harry is trying to build lesson plans and learn new stuff so he can teach it to other people.

It's a very busy book where nothing much happens until the end.

I remember wishing all the books were as big as OoTP and in hindsight I'm glad they're not

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember feeling really accomplished and intelligent for reading the latter giant books in like one or two sittings each, as a kid. In particular I remember, staying with my dad for the summer when Goblet came out, some local paper in my dad's town did a puff piece about how some local girl was a big genius for reading it in like one day, and me and my dad were pissed because I read it that fast too :argh:

I also remember my mom stayed home all day doing house cleaning on the day I got Deathly Hallows, and so when Dobby died I was sitting cross-legged on the bathroom floor to try and insulate myself from the vacuum cleaner noise. God dammit mom I'm trying to read my Harry Potter over here :argh:!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For both of the last two books my family went to a release event at Borders, and then as soon as we got home both me and my sister locked ourselves in our rooms and tried to read as far as we could before we got told to get the gently caress to sleep. Pretty sure we both finished each of the last two books within a 24 hour span.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Sydin posted:

For both of the last two books my family went to a release event at Borders, and then as soon as we got home both me and my sister locked ourselves in our rooms and tried to read as far as we could before we got told to get the gently caress to sleep. Pretty sure we both finished each of the last two books within a 24 hour span.

I worked at Barnes and Noble back in the day for a lot of the book releases and we always got copies way ahead of time and there was literally next to nothing preventing people from reading it on their lunch break or whatever if you were close with the warehouse manager.

In the weeks leading up to the midnight release party for half-blood prince we had a crazy amount of people coming in and placing preorders and a lot of them at checkout would say something like "oh no I read a rumor on the internet that snape kills dumbledore, i hope thats not real"

More than a few people had crying fits when the cashier's reaction basically all but confirmed it as true ahead of time, I have never seen anything even close to resembling that kind of reaction to a spoiler since

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It’s been nearly fifteen years and I still can’t read the phrase “Snape kills Dunbledore” without mentally completing it with “Noooooo, you bitch, you bitch!”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TinTower posted:

It’s been nearly fifteen years and I still can’t read the phrase “Snape kills Dunbledore” without mentally completing it with “Noooooo, you bitch, you bitch!”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_WUb68RQo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I lost all interest in the series at Book 3 and my parents got fed up I wasn't continuing to read them that they bought them all the rest (Deathly Hallows wasn't out yet) and made me read them on a car trip and quiz me.

They lost steam after that and I never read deathly hallows

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Barudak posted:

I lost all interest in the series at Book 3 and my parents got fed up I wasn't continuing to read them that they bought them all the rest (Deathly Hallows wasn't out yet) and made me read them on a car trip and quiz me.

My parents just took me to foreign movies sometimes. I guess I can blame any anime I watch on them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Barudak posted:

As more kids of millennials become young teens, this experience will become more and more prevalent.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 30, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
a girl i liked in HS was really into HP so shortly after OotP came out i blitzed through all five books across 4 days, neglecting sleep, and i didn't have the prescience to do any of this on the weekend.

my brain was absolutely fried by day 3, there was a part of me insisting i could use magic to get through classes. pretty sure i failed a few tests.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Dumbledore's death was spoiled for me in the Kingdom of Loathing /trade chat several hours before the book even came out.

Edit: Actually it might have been Foodcourt not trade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zesty posted:

As more kids of millennials become young teens, this experience will become more and more prevalent.

Reminded of a couple of e/n or boomer thread posts where parents force their kids to read cowboy books or some poo poo and quiz them on it

Though i do like that trying to reread the whole series almost always ends in burnout

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Zesty posted:

This is horrifying, the HP crowd really never read anything else. I enjoyed HP when I was oh, 10 or so, you know the appropriate age. The actual content of the books has aged dreadfully, JKs a terf theres nothing good in any of it. Why do this to a new generation? Let the kids enjoy star trek reruns and poo poo jesus.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Skulk Hogan posted:

Dumbledore's death was spoiled for me in the Kingdom of Loathing /trade chat several hours before the book even came out.

Edit: Actually it might have been Foodcourt not trade.

That's what you get for being in either of those channels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Let kids have their own series that inspire them and then ultimately end poorly and unsatisfyingly and the author outs themselves later on as a piece of poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It seems pretty natural for parents to pass down stuff to their kids, including their taste.

HP was a life-changing experience for tens of millions of children all over the world. They want to share that with their own kids.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:jerkbag:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

See that one comic

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I grew up watching video tapes of the Muppet Show and Rocky and Bullwinkle from decades before I was born, so it happens with a modern media environment, and it's easy for parents to introduce their kids to their own childhood things. It's also probably easier to get a 10-year-old to read Harry Potter than it would be to get a teenager to read what you loved as a teen.

It's also possible the franchise will still be going somehow and kids of later generations will dig up the original source material. Or maybe the series will go dark and get revived by some later adaptation. Plenty of movies get made out of 50-year-old material.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Are there parents somewhere right now forcing their child to read Homestuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think there's already talks of bringing back the original actors for some kind of remake/sequel since Fantastic Beasts kinda bombed, but the actors don't like JK Rowling so