Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was it the basque one? That film was the first and so far only time in my love I've heard basque actually used as a language. Cool stuff.

There's more devil and blacksmith movies? Is that a genre in spanish movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Alhazred posted:

There's more devil and blacksmith movies? Is that a genre in spanish basque movies?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is that the basis for Inigo Montoya’s backstory? If so, that’s a reference in older media to older still media that was lost on me.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 25, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

wesleywillis posted:

It was opposite where I'm from.
Same, and also in a few other places I've lived.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Alhazred posted:

I've honestly been able to find more obscure stuff online than in physical stores because their selection is bigger and it's actually organized. Netflix for example has a lot of foreign stuff, like a spanish movie about the devil and the blacksmith that I would've totally missed if I had to rely on physical stores. Streaming also lowers the bar for checking out weird stuff compared to if you have to pay for each movie you want to watch.

Which is awesome if you know exactly what you're looking for, but it's harder to just stumble upon something cool like you could in a physical store. That's all I meant.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I have a grad student who I've been working with, who recently got an abstract accepted to present at a conference. It's kind of a semi-academic conference by a corporation, so a little more corporate than the average academic conference. So the email came with this boilerplate disclaimer, along the lines of "Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. "

The student was just freaking out because she forwarded the acceptance email to the co-authors of the abstract, but then had seen the disclaimer and thought they were going to take her talk away for "re-transmitting confidential information". She's in her 20s and had basically never seen one of those disclaimers in an email before. I had to explain to her what they were (legally unenforceable bullshit that was universally ignored until it largely went out of fashion sometime in the 2010s).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh man I remember those. Every sales person in the place I worked in the mid 2010’s had that bullshit as part of their email signature when I was doing technical sales support stuff and it was the dumbest poo poo in the worst.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Captain Monkey posted:

Only Boomers and people who are weirdly into sports watch broadcast television anymore so the ads are all focused on the most gullible and least healthy segments of our population.

Weirdly into sports like... watching the postseason and biggest games of various leagues, which are what is shown on broadcast tv? It's always so weird when goons show up to try to flex on people enjoying sports.

For real though I watch a lot of broadcast tv. A $30-$40 digital antenna gets you local news, the aforementioned biggest sporting events, and a bunch of channels that show nothing but hilariously bad old sitcoms and movies. It's a great deal.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

way to not get Jeopardy! at 7:30 PM

you poor soul

They added 2 more commercial stations in the mid 90 and my parents needed a technician to come and install a new antenna and tune the television.

The first thing that came on as the channel was being tuned in was Wheel Of Fortune. My Mother was amazed - "I've heard of this"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Weirdly into sports like... watching the postseason and biggest games of various leagues, which are what is shown on broadcast tv? It's always so weird when goons show up to try to flex on people enjoying sports.

No, I admit I’m not a sports guy, nor is ‘some people are weird about a hobby’ a flex in that hobby. but I’m basing it on a friend who wouldn’t get a streaming service for sports because it was missing some random games that didn’t matter to the season or something. I just thought it was the obsessive superfan choice, the same way getting an anime only steaming thing is the weeb Superfan’s choice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drimble Wedge posted:

Which is awesome if you know exactly what you're looking for, but it's harder to just stumble upon something cool like you could in a physical store. That's all I meant.

I just stumbled upon that movie actually. Netflix has a pretty broad search engine (you don't even have to know the title of a movie, you can just search by key words) and I've discovered more cool stuff there on accident than I have in physical stores because they doesn't have a large selection and doesn't really sell the more obscure stuff.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I feel like the Netflix selection has slowly been getting worse because now every single studio has their own streaming service and they want to have their stuff on there not Netflix.

Also there's basically no movies made before the 70s on there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pocket Billiards posted:

They added 2 more commercial stations in the mid 90 and my parents needed a technician to come and install a new antenna and tune the television.

The first thing that came on as the channel was being tuned in was Wheel Of Fortune. My Mother was amazed - "I've heard of this"
On the one hand that's adorable but on the other it's kinda sad. But mostly adorable :shobon:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

For real though I watch a lot of broadcast tv. A $30-$40 digital antenna gets you local news, the aforementioned biggest sporting events, and a bunch of channels that show nothing but hilariously bad old sitcoms and movies. It's a great deal.

It's also handy to have when your internet goes down and you can't get any streaming services.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I feel like the Netflix selection has slowly been getting worse because now every single studio has their own streaming service and they want to have their stuff on there not Netflix.

Also there's basically no movies made before the 70s on there.

Netflix is petrified of not having content. They had a sweet deal with Starz that they wouldn't renew even when Netflix offered 10x the original contract and then Disney pulled all their stuff and boned like a half dozen Netflix original superhero shows. So they're dumping tons of money into new movies and shows because everyone has essentially pegged Netflix as public enemy number 1 and the service can't be certain any of their licensed content will renew when needed.

Their success rate is really spotty quality-wise, but they knew a ton of content creators were going to pull material for their own streaming services so they had to add a lot of new stuff quickly. Unfortunately they now have to compete for choice original programming with Apple, Amazon, and Hulu and Apple and Amazon have essentially unlimited budgets. Netflix does seem to do better with international programming though. They're in a lot more countries than the other providers.

At some point some of these new streaming services are going to crash and burn and all that content will be up for bid again. My guess is HBO MAX dies a gruesome death because AT&T.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Joke's on Disney because I'm *still* suffering from super hero fatigue and welcome anyone attempting to make new content, even if most of it falls flat.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

No, I admit I’m not a sports guy, nor is ‘some people are weird about a hobby’ a flex in that hobby. but I’m basing it on a friend who wouldn’t get a streaming service for sports because it was missing some random games that didn’t matter to the season or something. I just thought it was the obsessive superfan choice, the same way getting an anime only steaming thing is the weeb Superfan’s choice.

Oh no! How dare someone enjoy something in a way that you don't!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Quoting one from the newspaper comic strip thread:

People who've only known digital cameras will have no idea what the joke is.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd say no memory card, but pretty much all dig cameras cone with at least a bit of internal memory

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Quoting one from the newspaper comic strip thread:

People who've only known digital cameras will have no idea what the joke is.

Also, there's now plenty of folks who have never used a camera that isn't on their phone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Film is going to baffle future generations. The production, use, and development permeated so much of popular culture and then disappeared in a 5 year span. There wasn’t even time to have some kind of transitional period. One year Kodak is one of the biggest companies in the US and then RIP Rochester.

A parking lot photo kiosk probably looks as quaint as one of those old timey bicycles with the huge front tires.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wesleywillis posted:

I'd say no memory card, but pretty much all dig cameras cone with at least a bit of internal memory

Are all the pictures instantly destroyed if you open the camera to check, and allow light to hit the memory card? :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

A parking lot photo kiosk probably looks as quaint as one of those old timey bicycles with the huge front tires.

They're all drive-through coffee places now

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh no! How dare someone enjoy something in a way that you don't!

That’s not at all what I’m saying, weirdly offended dude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

I guess this proves op's point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

They're all drive-through coffee places now

I didn't believe you and then I looked it up and well...

Which brings up another thing young people might think is weird, the practice of keeping a half dozen personal photos in plastic sleeves in your big bulky wallet that you could take out and show strangers. "Here is my family. I haven't changed out these pictures in 4 years, but this is what they used to look like."

And the other person had to feign polite interest in formally posed photos of people they didn't know from a person they just met.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some things never change, though—I've still had people walk me through their vacation photos on Facebook while I'm bored out of my mind.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
How many Powerpoint users have seen an actual slide show?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Film is going to baffle future generations. The production, use, and development permeated so much of popular culture and then disappeared in a 5 year span. There wasn’t even time to have some kind of transitional period. One year Kodak is one of the biggest companies in the US and then RIP Rochester.

I used to run a 1 hour photo lab (I know how to troubleshoot and fix those machines) - 2007 was the year that digital gained big.

See, Prom weekend of 2006 was film canisters as far as the eye could see. Just running film as fast as possible. Two people running the lab because we were so busy. 2007, still a lot of film, but it was mostly digital cameras. By the time I left retail, we didn't even do in-house development anymore. We sent them out. That would have been 2011-2012ish.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I imagine telling anyone under 20 that we used to not be able to look at the photos until we took them to a special shop so we didn't really know how they turned out until then and also we had to conserve the film so we couldn't really take 30 photos of the same thing until we got the perfect one would be pretty baffling to them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Who's gonna write a song about digital cameras? No one, that's who

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rlDTK6QI-w

Hell, color film in general got so much easier to use than kodachrome that i think i only ever shot on it once and that was specifically for a photography class.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Cobalt-60 posted:

How many Powerpoint users have seen an actual slide show?

oh gently caress

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I imagine telling anyone under 20 that we used to not be able to look at the photos until we took them to a special shop so we didn't really know how they turned out until then and also we had to conserve the film so we couldn't really take 30 photos of the same thing until we got the perfect one would be pretty baffling to them.

Ironically, the ability to shoot a ton is a lot of people's biggest complaints about digital, at least for video. With film, it encouraged you to shoot more economically since there's only a finite amount of film you can use. But with digital, you can shoot 100 takes pretty easily.

It's something I've read that some directors fight against.

And I think there is something to taking one or two good pictures versus taking 30 or 40 hoping to get the perfect shot. How many pictures so we just discard?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

Hell, color film in general got so much easier to use than kodachrome that i think i only ever shot on it once and that was specifically for a photography class.

Kodachrome was an unforgiving filmstock. I shot maybe 5 rolls of it and it's famed reds came out pink for me. I'd love to find a good Kodachrome digital plugin, but to be accurate it'd need to give you different results every time you used it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

a kitten posted:

:chloe:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh no, how awful, people writing songs about... contemporary things?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

On a similar note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw&t=233s

Shake it like a Polaroid picture

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I recently read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's kind of funny in retrospect how a person writing in 2005 could've been so utterly blind to the Internet coming to eat the media alive. For example, the main character is a part owner of a magazine .There's a Morning and Evening newspaper. One of the stories main themes is accountability in media :allears:. It was an altogether enjoyable book even if there's some serious "oh you sweet summer child' vibes in retrospect. If anything, it's kind of funny just how loving jaded the zeitgeist has become since the '90s and early '00s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can see that when you read Transmetropolitan these days, too. There's an arc where the Hunter S. Thompson-esque journalist main character taints the reputation of presidential candidate Callahan by revealing his association with a fascist fringe party candidate, and it's really quaint to read about the public's shock and horror at that when you have incontrovertible proof that in reality they just elect the fascist fringer. And, of course, eventually Callahan's own presidency is brought down by similar journalistic revelations.

There's an arc where the journalist bemoans his newfound celebrity status, which comes with a movie about him where his complex and angry writing about police brutality, systemic classism and so on are reduced to a Hollywood badass holding a laptop aloft and proclaiming "I'm telling them that it's... wrong" and today the entire story about the public caring about a president's ethics comes off kinda like that.

Warren Ellis later wrote a series where a superhero kills the president the way global supervillains get killed in comic books. The funny bit is that was in the Bush era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I recently read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's kind of funny in retrospect how a person writing in 2005 could've been so utterly blind to the Internet coming to eat the media alive. For example, the main character is a part owner of a magazine .There's a Morning and Evening newspaper. One of the stories main themes is accountability in media :allears:. It was an altogether enjoyable book even if there's some serious "oh you sweet summer child' vibes in retrospect. If anything, it's kind of funny just how loving jaded the zeitgeist has become since the '90s and early '00s.

IT Chapter 2 had to change one character's adult career from radio disc jockey to stand-up comedian because it's too unrealistic these days to someone to work in radio. Or more specifically, to be rich and famous in radio.

We'll know the old media cultural shift is complete when Hallmark and Rom-Com movies stop making their main characters 'lifestyle journalists' and instead 'social media influencers'.