Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm getting tired of running, so inspired by all the neighborhood kids that have taken it up, I'm gonna strap the rollerblades back on and try to make it a regular thing. I used to go down to the local middle school to speed around their track a lot, but they shut that off so I'll have to suck it up and get used to dealing with hills. Time to learn advanced braking techniques!

Anybody have opinions on knee pads? Last year I learned the hard way that mine won't stay on when skidding on them. And maybe get a skating helmet. Oh and my fast skates could probably use some new wheels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like rollerblading and haven't done it for like 13 years besides once last year. I almost fell on my rear end but recovered. I want to get pads or something but don't want to look like a dork. Yeah I know, having a broken XYZ is dorkier. So starting with something that'll protect my wrists might be a good idea. I'll check Amazon maybe.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I like rollerblading and haven't done it for like 13 years besides once last year. I almost fell on my rear end but recovered. I want to get pads or something but don't want to look like a dork. Yeah I know, having a broken XYZ is dorkier. So starting with something that'll protect my wrists might be a good idea. I'll check Amazon maybe.

Knee pads, too. Dropping to your knees when you’re in trouble can save you a lot of pain.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i see cool people wearing pads with skates fwiw. seems like a v pad-friendly sport

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

i see cool people wearing pads with skates fwiw. seems like a v pad-friendly sport

The zen of skating is realizing that you'll look like a dork to non-skaters no matter what you wear, so strap up

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got some cheap knee and elbow pads and wrist guards off of Amazon. I'm ready to go! Whenever it warms up here. Which will probably be the middle of next month.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I made the mistake of watching instructional skating videos on youtube and wow I had no idea how little I knew

I got some cheap knee and elbow pads and wrist guards off of Amazon. I'm ready to go! Whenever it warms up here. Which will probably be the middle of next month.

:krad:

I spent way too much money finding a pair of knee pads that I liked, but I finally have and as a bonus I got to support a local skate shop with it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Haven't skated in years and finally got tired of following my wife on hers while I ride my bike very slowly, so I ordered a pair.

I also ordered some rad pads because why the hell not

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not cool enough for that. I got all black. :saddowns:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mauser posted:

Haven't skated in years and finally got tired of following my wife on hers while I ride my bike very slowly, so I ordered a pair.

I also ordered some rad pads because why the hell not

I settled on some soft knee pads which will be great under normal use, but I've been practicing advanced stopping, and they are not good for repeatedly going to the ground. So time to buy some temporary hard pads!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh poo poo what up skate thread! :snoop:

I just got a pair of K2 skates, helmet, and pads in the mail. I'm just getting back into ice skating and figured inline skates were a good way to keep it going through the not icy seasons. I haven't rollerbladed in probably close to 15 years at least, so I'm ready to make a fool of myself.

Now I just need to find some kickin rad neon clothes and relive my best 90s life.

Edit: of course it's gonna rain for the next week straight :negative:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm not cool enough for that. I got all black. :saddowns:

You don't gotta be cool to wear silly clothes while exercising and the brighter and crazier they are, the more compliments you'll get from old people and children on your outfit!

So when I was looking at a set of rollerblades, I decided on rigid boots and 3x110 wheels mainly because this was one of the few sets in my size I could find online. Anyone have a good breakdown of the difference between smaller/larger wheels? This'll be my first time trying out the larger wheels

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mauser posted:

You don't gotta be cool to wear silly clothes while exercising and the brighter and crazier they are, the more compliments you'll get from old people and children on your outfit!

So when I was looking at a set of rollerblades, I decided on rigid boots and 3x110 wheels mainly because this was one of the few sets in my size I could find online. Anyone have a good breakdown of the difference between smaller/larger wheels? This'll be my first time trying out the larger wheels

Bigger goes faster, what did you use to run? I’ve got a pair of 80s and a pair of 90s, and even that small difference usually catches me out at first. There’s probably a decent chance they’ll be harder, too, so less grip.

Since it’s three wheels the wheel base will be comparable to a 4-wheel with smaller wheels, so maneuverability will be similar. But your center of gravity’s going to be higher, so make sure you’ve got your balance good.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah previously, and I'm no expert, was always I wanna say 4x80s so I'm excited to try them out. This'll also be my first big boy pair and won't have the little brake pad. It's been long enough that I'm going to have to get used to everything again, but I'm very excited and I've got a nice flat park nearby that I'm going to as soon as they arrive. Whenever work opens up the office again I might have to try commuting one day

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Rollerblading still owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_r56yP63J0

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mauser posted:

Yeah previously, and I'm no expert, was always I wanna say 4x80s so I'm excited to try them out. This'll also be my first big boy pair and won't have the little brake pad. It's been long enough that I'm going to have to get used to everything again, but I'm very excited and I've got a nice flat park nearby that I'm going to as soon as they arrive. Whenever work opens up the office again I might have to try commuting one day

What model did you get? I'd love to get big wheels like that but I don't think what I have to skate on is conducive to GOTTA GO FAST. I used to go to the local middle school and zoom laps on the track, but I think they resurfaced it and now the "NO TRESPASSING" signs are very adamant.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just checked and I have the K2 Exo. 78mm wheels, designed for "fitness" and is beginner to intermediate. I got them maybe in 2007 and they still look great, but I really think I need new wheels. Looking up 78mm wheels, they seem to be really uncommon. I think 76mm wheels should work on it just fine though. I'll do some looking around.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sure I'll play along. I got the cheap 80s a couple years ago when my nephew wanted to go skating at the beach. Once I get used to brake-less stopping I'll be switching back to the 90s (it has a brake, just has never been very good)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

What model did you get? I'd love to get big wheels like that but I don't think what I have to skate on is conducive to GOTTA GO FAST. I used to go to the local middle school and zoom laps on the track, but I think they resurfaced it and now the "NO TRESPASSING" signs are very adamant.

I ordered a pair of these guys, FR1 310s: http://frskates.com/rollers/fr1-310-red-2018-detail. Was looking at the cheaper models, but everything in my size was sold out and eh, I'm gonna have them forever anyway. Gotta wait until I get back from camping to try 'em out :mad:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Maybe there's a run on skates like there is on bikes due to the pandemic! It'd be nice to see a bunch of new skaters out there, like me.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

I just checked and I have the K2 Exo. 78mm wheels, designed for "fitness" and is beginner to intermediate. I got them maybe in 2007 and they still look great, but I really think I need new wheels. Looking up 78mm wheels, they seem to be really uncommon. I think 76mm wheels should work on it just fine though. I'll do some looking around.

flip those suckers 180

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Any other quad skaters? I have been entranced with videos of women skate-dancing in the sunset and bought some pink rollerskates. Been skating at some local tennis courts as well as parking lots, trying to build up the courage to skate in the street. Any tips on finding good places to skate?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BeastPussy posted:

flip those suckers 180

I wanna say I already did that once. Can't remember. Either way I have new ones on the way!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

Any other quad skaters? I have been entranced with videos of women skate-dancing in the sunset and bought some pink rollerskates. Been skating at some local tennis courts as well as parking lots, trying to build up the courage to skate in the street. Any tips on finding good places to skate?

I sometimes check out Strava's global heatmap to see where around me people are running. You'll have to vet the surface and hills for yourself, but it's a good start

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

well, never saw the package that my new skates were supposed to come in, but UPS claims it was delivered. I'm hoping that it was just misplaced somewhere and incorrectly marked as delivered because literally everywhere, including where I ordered them from, is out of stock for my size with these :(

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Put on my big boy skates and went for a cruise

Unrelatedly, the front of my knee is numb after some wipeouts trying to slide stop

Mauser posted:

well, never saw the package that my new skates were supposed to come in, but UPS claims it was delivered. I'm hoping that it was just misplaced somewhere and incorrectly marked as delivered because literally everywhere, including where I ordered them from, is out of stock for my size with these :(

:ohdear:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, figuring my skates were either gone or going to take forever to figure out, I found a place that had some 4x80s in stock and ordered them, then went for a bike ride and came back to find out that they found my package and that my newest pair is on the way! So tomorrow I will own two pairs and I am very excited

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mauser posted:

Well, figuring my skates were either gone or going to take forever to figure out, I found a place that had some 4x80s in stock and ordered them, then went for a bike ride and came back to find out that they found my package and that my newest pair is on the way! So tomorrow I will own two pairs and I am very excited

More skates for the skate god! Probably doesn't hurt to have options for big wheels and small wheels. I only know the difference between 80 and 90 and it's not huge, but I imagine 80 and 110 is more meaningful.

I went to rotate the wheels on my 90 for the first time since I bought it... ten years ago maybe? Stripped one of the bolts so now I get to figure that out (or buy a new pair when that wheel completely wears out :getin:)

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What kind of skates do you guys have. I mentioned I have those K2 Exo's that I got in maybe 2006 or so. The new wheels I just bought were K2 Booster 80mm. I know nothing about skates still. :)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

What kind of skates do you guys have. I mentioned I have those K2 Exo's that I got in maybe 2006 or so. The new wheels I just bought were K2 Booster 80mm. I know nothing about skates still. :)

A couple years ago I got a pair of Rollerblade Zetrablades on the cheap because my nephew wanted to go skating at the beach. I've used them a few times in the last few weeks to get back on my feet but really they don't do anything for me.

My main pair are Rollerblade Speedmachine 4x90mm. They were low-end speed skates when I got them ~10 years ago, but these days 4x90 has been replaced in that niche by 3x110. From what I see, the 4x90s that are being made don't have the adjustable frame and xxx9 bearings these guys have.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

A couple years ago I got a pair of Rollerblade Zetrablades on the cheap because my nephew wanted to go skating at the beach. I've used them a few times in the last few weeks to get back on my feet but really they don't do anything for me.

My wife has a pair of these and she hates them and misses her Salomon skates she left at her parents' place.

My first order of inline skates is officially in the wind. Was chatting with the delivery driver and he said that he had to call out sick that day so the guy who covered for him managed to deliver them 3 blocks over and original guy went looking for it over the course of three days and was completely unable to find them. Alternate replacement order arrived and they're amazing, been five years since I've done any rollerblading and I only fell like 3 times while trying them out in the alley. Tomorrow going to the park that has actual flat pavement and gonna do some laps!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Update: finally pestered my wife to get home early enough to go try my new skates and they rule and rollerblading rules! I dunno why it took me so long to try to get back into it, but having a nice park nearby really helps. Took a couple laps to get back into the swing of things and practiced braking without brake pads and I loving love it.

Also, my lost order, after discussing with the delivery guy and him looking high and low for the first pair, they finally showed up on my door with a little note saying this was delivered to [three blocks over same street number], so now I've got the 4x80s and the 3x110s to try out later!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I’ve started looking at skates since I’m pretty sure my good pair is too big and I’m hurting my ankles trying to keep them tight. I’m waffling on 3x110 since that might be too fast for what I ride (I’ve got a big hill to go down and 4x90 is already fast enough that they start to wander). But I just found these guys with a pretty cool trick:

The 4x90 frame has an extra hole in the middle so you can run it 3x110

:thunk:

Mauser posted:

Update: finally pestered my wife to get home early enough to go try my new skates and they rule and rollerblading rules! I dunno why it took me so long to try to get back into it, but having a nice park nearby really helps. Took a couple laps to get back into the swing of things and practiced braking without brake pads and I loving love it.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Mauser posted:

My wife has a pair of these and she hates them and misses her Salomon skates she left at her parents' place.

My first order of inline skates is officially in the wind. Was chatting with the delivery driver and he said that he had to call out sick that day so the guy who covered for him managed to deliver them 3 blocks over and original guy went looking for it over the course of three days and was completely unable to find them. Alternate replacement order arrived and they're amazing, been five years since I've done any rollerblading and I only fell like 3 times while trying them out in the alley. Tomorrow going to the park that has actual flat pavement and gonna do some laps!

FR are drat good skates that seem alot more simple in design than other brands but look fantastic in person.

quote:

practiced braking without brake pads and I loving love it.
The basic t stop does anything a brake pad can do, but better and you look like way less of a dork when doing it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

The basic t stop does anything a brake pad can do, but better and you look like way less of a dork when doing it.

Doesn't it wear down the wheels though? Also, trying to look less dorky on skates, haha

I think my proudest skating achievement was carrying them on the airplane, then communing from my hostel to the conference for the week. Frugality is always stylish.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know how to stop very well, at all, and just watched this video which seems pretty helpful. They go over 3 stops. The drag stop, power stop, and power slide. I didn't even bother watching the power slide stop because that seems way too advanced. It's like how you stop quickly with ice skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrDAi3aZLs

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Epitope posted:

Doesn't it wear down the wheels though? Also, trying to look less dorky on skates, haha

Not too much from what I've seen

I don't know how to stop very well, at all, and just watched this video which seems pretty helpful. They go over 3 stops. The drag stop, power stop, and power slide. I didn't even bother watching the power slide stop because that seems way too advanced. It's like how you stop quickly with ice skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrDAi3aZLs

I've been working on soul and magic sliding. I can soul in the damp but for the life of me can't get the traction to break when dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LjwV3CzEpM

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's the power slide in the video I posted. I'm not even gonna think about trying that. I'd like to be able to stop in any fashion without falling on my face first. :)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

That's the power slide in the video I posted. I'm not even gonna think about trying that. I'd like to be able to stop in any fashion without falling on my face first. :)

Not quite, his power slide (the third one) goes turns backwards before sliding, soul/magic keeps you forward. With enough speed I think you could transition the power stop (second) to a magic, though.

I've read people disfavor the power slide because it turns you around -- especially if you're going downhill -- but yeah that's largely academic for me at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Maybe someone can help me out here. I'm looking for a gold colored skate helmet, real simple stuff, looks like this:

Yet despite my digging around I can't for the life of me find anything out there that has this, whether it be brick-and-mortar stores or online which surprised the hell out of me. Everywhere I look that features one or something similar says Out of Stock, and the few that I do find are just props that don't offer any real protection. Any suggestions or advice on how to track one down?