Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the worst thing about sci-fi-ish blockbusters since the late 90s is the drab darkness of so many designs in the name of looking "realistic". like how do you take a design like that, with tons of bright red and a lightsaber and leather and cloth and satan and all kinds of poo poo, and turn it into "dude with kind of generic armor and a dorky helmet"? it's like they want these movies to be for serious adults but then they give them lovely plots and phoned-in performances anyway so you get the worst of both worlds

the whole MCU is just...off in this exact way. this doofy rear end in a top hat is the essence of what's wrong with the aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Roth posted:

The Snyder Cut owned

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jazerus posted:

the worst thing about sci-fi-ish blockbusters since the late 90s is the drab darkness of so many designs in the name of looking "realistic". like how do you take a design like that, with tons of bright red and a lightsaber and leather and cloth and satan and all kinds of poo poo, and turn it into "dude with kind of generic armor and a dorky helmet"? it's like they want these movies to be for serious adults but then they give them lovely plots and phoned-in performances anyway so you get the worst of both worlds

the whole MCU is just...off in this exact way. this doofy rear end in a top hat is the essence of what's wrong with the aesthetic

In addition to other things, 9/11 was the worst thing to happen to the blockbuster movie because now everything has to be coated in huge clouds of grey dust. The final battle in Endgame looked like absolute garbage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Who tf is this guy

comics??.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

Who tf is this guy

comics??.

He's Darkseid's uncle.

Honestly, comics people were mostly baffled too, he's a pretty obscure character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember he showed up in the Justice League cartoon for about 30 seconds as a human looking dude who dies offscreen.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!
we heard you liked stabbing so we put knives on your horns so you can stab while you stab

Bogus Adventure posted:

drat that looks so cool. Let's see what the genius suits came up with for the version they released in theaters...

Wow, Skyrim movie lookin'...horny.

nice helmet, i guess we know where the daedric lord of losers is bound :rolleyes:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can you stand a little to the left... And... And look over... There we go.

I couldn't get the game in hd until antenna melon over there got set up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

give me a Big Barda movie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

indigi posted:

Give me a movie based on that thicc thigh Powergirl. I mean, :pusheen:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Give me a movie based on that thicc thigh Powergirl. I mean, :pusheen:

yeah just make a Girl Power team up movie where they beat the poo poo out of superheroes who’ve been turned evil by Brainiac or something

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

indigi posted:

yeah just make a Girl Power team up movie where they beat the poo poo out of superheroes who’ve been turned evil by Brainiac or something
One of the better episodes of JLU involved superheroines getting brainwashed and forced into black market gladiator fights. It goes pretty standard and well until Wonder Woman shows up and everyone drat-near pisses themselves just trying to stay alive.

Just film that. Nothing about this needs to be thought on very hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W065hFsZda4

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shiera is the only one of that group who might last more than 20 seconds

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wrong kind of horny fellas

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

indigi posted:

Shiera is the only one of that group who might last more than 20 seconds

Vixen would last a longer than 20 seconds, but Canary and Huntress would have a real bad time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vixen can only do one animal at a time iirc, WW is too quick for her to be able to keep up between strength and speed

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

One of the better episodes of JLU involved superheroines getting brainwashed and forced into black market gladiator fights. It goes pretty standard and well until Wonder Woman shows up and everyone drat-near pisses themselves just trying to stay alive.

Just film that. Nothing about this needs to be thought on very hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W065hFsZda4

My favorite part of that ep is the Nightwing stealth cameo

Oh, and a bonus Horny picture

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Roth posted:

The Snyder Cut owned

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh, and a bonus Horny picture

tag yourself i'm the demon humping swamp thing

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

tag yourself i'm the demon humping swamp thing

I'm monke

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm Blue Devil's thigh belt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jazerus posted:

This is basically if they hadn't redesigned Sonic for the theatrical release

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is basically if they hadn't redesigned Sonic for the theatrical release

Release the teeth cut!!!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Davros1 posted:

It's like Zack saw Marvel's Adam X The X-Treme in the 90s and said "Nuh-Uh, I'll show them how EXTREME a blade guy SHOULD be!"

I thought that was the mall cop guy from Mortal Kombat 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, a theory came up a likely reason that pre-release Sonic was so ugly was specifically because it's a live-action CGI mix and the director thought Sonic had to look 'realistic', they couldn't do any Roger Rabbit or Smurfs stuff, obviously he had to look like some human/hedgehog hybrid to be a bipedal talking animal, otherwise it's not consistent. The idea that audiences can accept an otherworldly being not having to look 'realistic' and that Sonic's design is the one thing you don't have to take liberties with at all never crossed their minds until the design was revealed and was met universally with mockery and revulsion.

Also, you think Steppenwolf looks silly, one of Darkseid's other lieutenants is literally called Verman Vunderbar and looks exactly what you'd expect from that name.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, a theory came up a likely reason that pre-release Sonic was so ugly was specifically because it's a live-action CGI mix and the director thought Sonic had to look 'realistic', they couldn't do any Roger Rabbit or Smurfs stuff, obviously he had to look like some human/hedgehog hybrid to be a bipedal talking animal, otherwise it's not consistent. The idea that audiences can accept an otherworldly being not having to look 'realistic' and that Sonic's design is the one thing you don't have to take liberties with at all never crossed their minds until the design was revealed and was met universally with mockery and revulsion.

Also, you think Steppenwolf looks silly, one of Darkseid's other lieutenants is literally called Verman Vunderbar and looks exactly what you'd expect from that name.

I am incredibly grateful that the Snydercut showed us a glimpse of Granny Goodness, and I sincerely hope that she is dubbed over by Ed Asner because he IS Granny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhUfX1C4lA

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I am incredibly grateful that the Snydercut showed us a glimpse of Granny Goodness, and I sincerely hope that she is dubbed over by Ed Asner because he IS Granny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhUfX1C4lA

Huh, that's Ed Asner. Never knew that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

Huh, that's Ed Asner. Never knew that.

Yup, it's Ed. And he loving OWNS as Granny.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yup, it's Ed. And he loving OWNS as Granny.

Oh yeah, he does a fantastic job!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DqB0cv8uw

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm Blue Devil's thigh belt

i'm blue devil's seven other belts

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/NotLasers/status/1379180965411618816

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There were a lot of "he can't look like a cartoon" notes from Jeff Fowler, while Sega was giving contradictory "he doesn't look like Sonic" notes, so the initial movie design was the result of that tug-of-war. Stuff like the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie was provided as reference from Fowler, as well as some way more animalistic concepts with beady little eyes and digitigrade legs. Fowler didn't even want the guy to wear shoes, which is why there's a plot point about Robotnik tracking Sonic's footprints.

I don't think the design would even have been bad if they'd let Fowler do the fully animal version of the character (though the Tyson Hesse redesign is the best possible version of "Movie Sonic"), and everyone involved knew that the halfway-point gremlin that appeared in the first trailer wasn't working.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

indigi posted:

no yes no

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats seems like too much Barda for me, do you have anything in a medium?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Barudak posted:

Thats seems like too much Barda for me, do you have anything in a medium?

ONLY BEEG!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me wanna rewatch that JLU episode with Flash and Orion, they realised pretty quick that the New Gods melodrama goes hilariously with a goofy and good-natured yet powerful speedster.

...reminds me that should work with Sonic, but the writers insist on getting him all caught up in the melodrama rather than have any real clash. Also comes to mind that the Sonic movie also works because the humans that Sonic hangs out with are also goofy and silly, along with of course Robotnik. Actually, on thought, makes sense that Sonic particularly hangs around the sheriff who talks to his food when there's no one else around, and happily messes with the local cryptid-hunting kook; he likes goofy, silly people.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Isn't Flash basically Lightray?

He also shows up in the JLU episode where the gang meets Highfather

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

DC animated universe skippin a lot of leg days, I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

apparently they made Wally West into a murderer in the latest DC event and I'm very sad