Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

morestuff posted:

Who’s the big square-headed character actor that’s not Ron Perlman? More of a TV guy, I’m pretty sure he had a small recurring role on Lost
Andrew Divoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably Kevin Durand

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Figured it out, it was Clancy Brown

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

A long time ago I saw a movie on TV about I believe a fictional second eruption of Mt. St. Helens. It seemed cheap so it was probably a TV movie. Basically the plot was a family trying to escape the area during the eruption. I remember a scene where a grandma sacrifices herself to go into an acidic lake to pull a boat to shore for the rest of the family. Also the climactic final scene was them in a car escaping the eruption chasing them by driving into a collapsed tunnel or something, then in the wrecked car one of the characters having to switch on an emergency transmitter radio they had.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jabberlock posted:

A long time ago I saw a movie on TV about I believe a fictional second eruption of Mt. St. Helens. It seemed cheap so it was probably a TV movie. Basically the plot was a family trying to escape the area during the eruption. I remember a scene where a grandma sacrifices herself to go into an acidic lake to pull a boat to shore for the rest of the family. Also the climactic final scene was them in a car escaping the eruption chasing them by driving into a collapsed tunnel or something, then in the wrecked car one of the characters having to switch on an emergency transmitter radio they had.

Dante's Peak. Def not a cheap TV movie.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
A friend talked about a movie with a group of people going to a bog with in Denmark. Supposedly, this bog was 100 miles from the nearest town, which is pretty stupid.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The Ritual maybe?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

Dante's Peak. Def not a cheap TV movie.

Thanks, I saw it when I was like 9 so I was vague on the details.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Maybe a stretch, but:

In film school I saw an experimental movie where the filmmaker had taken some footage from old black-and-white movies or possibly sitcoms). amd had re-edited it an incredibly strange way, running footage backwards and forwards and looping specific sounds and moments for minutes at a time. One moment that stuck out was a woman repeating "I love you" over and over again with the sentence being shortened each time until she was ust saying "love" and then eventually "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv".

Yeah, it was weird, but I'd like to know what it was called if anyone has a clue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

World Famous W posted:

Reasking again

One of the Thunder Ninja Kids series?

(I know this was asked 6 months ago, but a movie poster for one popped up in my twitter feed and I just thought of this thread)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Boz0r posted:

A friend talked about a movie with a group of people going to a bog with in Denmark. Supposedly, this bog was 100 miles from the nearest town, which is pretty stupid.

Pilchenstein posted:

The Ritual maybe?

The Ritual is in Sweden, but you're probably right.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe a stretch, but:

In film school I saw an experimental movie where the filmmaker had taken some footage from old black-and-white movies or possibly sitcoms). amd had re-edited it an incredibly strange way, running footage backwards and forwards and looping specific sounds and moments for minutes at a time. One moment that stuck out was a woman repeating "I love you" over and over again with the sentence being shortened each time until she was ust saying "love" and then eventually "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv".

Yeah, it was weird, but I'd like to know what it was called if anyone has a clue.

Peter Tscherkassky makes found footage films a bit like that, although if it is by him I haven't seen it, so couldn't give you an exact name... But his site has a list of his films with some descriptions, maybe worth poking through

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just make it yourself from memory. Hire a film crew to shoot it. Contact a podcast writer to tell your story

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe a stretch, but:

Yeah this sounds a bit like Outer Space by Peter Tscherkassky.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah this sounds a bit like Outer Space by Peter Tscherkassky.

That's what I was thinking too, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the name.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
When I was a kid in the 90s there were commercials on TV for either Mister Ed or Francis the Talking Mule VHS collections, and I distinctly remember there being a clip where either Mister Ed or Francis is in a boxing or wrestling ring with a human, and the human is losing horribly. For the life of me, when I google around I can't find ANY Mr. Ed episode or Francis movie where something like this happens. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Definitely 40s or 50s and black and white, by the way.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Thinking of a scene where someone is in a cab, and as they get out, when the driver asks for money, the person, who has some ability to tell people what to do, tells them they need gas. The driver looks at the gauge, which is full or nearly so, and agrees with the person. They tell the driver there's a gas station just down the road, which is in reality I think either a fuel tank or a parked fuel truck, which the driver takes off toward. I think the driver says something like "This must be my lucky day!" before crashing and exploding.

At first I thought it was one of the 'Pusher' X-Files episodes, since my roommate and I started watching them again a few months back, but we've since gone through far enough to see both of them, and it wasn't that, though something somewhat similar happens in the first of those episodes. I'm thinking it was from a movie now, and the character might not have been a human with a special power, but a supernatural being that looked human.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Detective Thompson posted:

Thinking of a scene where someone is in a cab, and as they get out, when the driver asks for money, the person, who has some ability to tell people what to do, tells them they need gas. The driver looks at the gauge, which is full or nearly so, and agrees with the person. They tell the driver there's a gas station just down the road, which is in reality I think either a fuel tank or a parked fuel truck, which the driver takes off toward. I think the driver says something like "This must be my lucky day!" before crashing and exploding.

At first I thought it was one of the 'Pusher' X-Files episodes, since my roommate and I started watching them again a few months back, but we've since gone through far enough to see both of them, and it wasn't that, though something somewhat similar happens in the first of those episodes. I'm thinking it was from a movie now, and the character might not have been a human with a special power, but a supernatural being that looked human.

The Shadow

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Thanks! For some reason I had it in my head that it was something like 'End of Days' where it was the devil doing it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That movie has a few legit good scenes, including the one where the guy gets mind-controlled to jump from the top of the Empire State Building...while fully being aware he doesn't want to do that.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Anybody remember a super low budget sci-fi/horror movie from a few years ago where I think a guy takes a drug and starts running from something and reality starts getting hosed up as he does? This one is driving me crazy because I am starting to think I made it up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MisterFister posted:

Anybody remember a super low budget sci-fi/horror movie from a few years ago where I think a guy takes a drug and starts running from something and reality starts getting hosed up as he does? This one is driving me crazy because I am starting to think I made it up.

are you thinking of John Dies at the End?

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

Light Gun Man posted:

are you thinking of John Dies at the End?

Thanks but nah, it was a really low budget found footage type I think.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MisterFister posted:

Hardcore Henry?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Thinking of an old animated short that my economics teacher showed our class in high school. It was about overpopulation and consumption of resources. The first part cut back and forth between the same looping animation of tons of babies being born and scenes of people fighting over the last remaining scraps of food. The second was a "how things could be" segment showing people doing sustainable farming and living happily.

If I remember correctly there was just music, no speech or sound effects. The people were drawn as purple shapes without any features, and there was this yellow/orange "god" figure watching everything and being horrified. I saw it in 2000, but I'm guessing the short was from some time in the 60s. Anybody remember seeing something similar?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MisterFister posted:

Any other details, like the sci fi setting nature?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MisterFister posted:

Maybe Waking Life or A Scanner Darkly? Or going back a few years, Naked Lunch?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Seyser Koze posted:

Thinking of an old animated short that my economics teacher showed our class in high school. It was about overpopulation and consumption of resources. The first part cut back and forth between the same looping animation of tons of babies being born and scenes of people fighting over the last remaining scraps of food. The second was a "how things could be" segment showing people doing sustainable farming and living happily.

If I remember correctly there was just music, no speech or sound effects. The people were drawn as purple shapes without any features, and there was this yellow/orange "god" figure watching everything and being horrified. I saw it in 2000, but I'm guessing the short was from some time in the 60s. Anybody remember seeing something similar?

This sounds like a short that The Ambiguity Program showed way back in January, so try asking them. Good luck!

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Okay, this one's been bugging me for years. I have a photo of me as a kid and in the background a movie (or TV show, but probably movie) is in the background and I really want to know what it is.

This photo was taken January 29th, 1995, and this was on TV in Western Canada so that should narrow the window a bit... even help recognizing one of the actors would probably lock this up.

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 24, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Actor on the right looks like Mario Van Peebles.

Maybe Posse?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 24, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Having a hard time not seeing Edward James Olmos in Blade Runner on the left.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's definitely Posse. Specifically, this scene

https://youtu.be/69aok-u1esc

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Thank you for solving this little mystery so fast, holy cow.

Edit: to make it even stranger, on Twitter the Criterion Channel is advertising this exact movie today. What the hell?

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 24, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Posse is a good movie and it makes me sad no one has ever heard of it when I bring it up (daily)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm going to post something I put in the old thread a few years ago that wasn't solved.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm gonna ask for another one.

I saw this when I was a kid, it's an episode of Outer Limits or Tales From The Darkside or another sci-fi horror anthology.

There's these people who are keeping a monster in the dust chute of a hotel and they're feeding guests to it, throwing them down the chute. The monster looks terrible, like a flaccid dick with teeth. I think in the end it's "owners" get fed to it by the plucky young protagonist.

I watched it in the mid 90s and it was on straight after an episode of the Outer Limits where a scientist gets injected with nanomachines that evolve him into the perfect being (eyes start growing on the back of his head, becomes invulnerable etc). I've found this episode since but never came across the Monster in the Chute episode, I was certain it was Outer Limits but none of the episode recaps make sense.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Breed_(The_Outer_Limits) is the Eyes in the Back of the Head episode

It's isn't the Tales From The Darkside episode A New Lease On Life, nor is it the '80s horror Brain Damage.

This would have aired on Sky One in the UK one afternoon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Request from the GBS thread:

Ganraam posted:

I'm trying to track down a B movie I saw on VHS once about 30 years ago. I've been thinking about it off and on over the years and occasionally will do some idle browsing for it. I think we rented the VHS when I was a kid. This was the late 80s or early 90s. I'm not sure when it was filmed but it has to be older than 1995 and I'd guess late 80s.

It took place in medieval times and the antagonist was what seemed to be a very tall big knight. a lot of the scenes were shot in the forest.

I remember one scene where the protagonist was riding his horse down a really really steep hill as fast as he could, and leaning back so far he was almost touching the ground himself due to how steep the hill was. I guess that could be a different movie but I'm pretty sure it was the same one.

There was a love interest and I think maybe there was a scene where her and the protagonist were hiding out from the big knight.

Anyway he ended up defeating the big knight and it turned out that the knight was this wooden power armor piloted by a dwarf. He beat him, opened up the chest, and saw the little guy inside who said or wrote something about how people bullied him so he built the armor.

I recently looked on reddit and found a guy who has been making a concerted search for at least 4 years! he had this to say about it:

quote:

It is a film from the 80s, maybe 70s. (I probably watched it in the 90's.) Seems to be a medieval fantasy.

The protagonist (young human man) is walking through some woods / forest (which is very dense and dark, but green and has some bright beams of light coming through the leaves). Then, in a small clearing, he meets a huge armored knight. He is tall (2m?) and wide. Maybe he was guarding that path or (part of the) forest - or maybe he was sent to kill the protagonist...

They engage in battle (I think the protagonist was a sword). The knight probably wields a huge and heavy weapon (axe or hammer?), but he is slow. He gets defeated (in a weird/dumb way? Maybe by his own mistake, since the protagonist has a kind heart?).

When the character examines the body of the fallen enemy, there is a "door" on his chest, that he opens (or falls off by itself) and there can be seen a small / little man (dwarf? Gnome?) inside, that dies from the battle a few seconds later. Maybe this "pilot" was naked, or wearing primitive underpants... This small chamber looks very hot (with red lights, maybe?), looked dirty and wet / sweaty (steamy, maybe), and had lots of levers, handles, chains and other "industrial" controllers. The knight was actually some kind of mecha / steampunk armor / mechanical suit / metal body / exoskeleton / robot-like creature...

After that, the hero just goes away.

Impressions I think I have:

the film is not a comedy / comic ?
it is fantasy, but can't remember about magic ?
there was a damsel in distress ?
the protagonist was not "naked" / bare chested (he had clothes on), so it is probably not a barbarian character / film ?
the protagonist was not wearing a heavy armor: he seemed agile ?
the scene I described had a "respectful" feeling to it. The "hero" alnost felt pity for the dying man / foe.

Discarded possibilities:
Hawk the Slayer (1980)
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Dragonslayer (1981)
Excalibur (1981)
Time Bandits (1981)
The Beastmaster (1982)
The Dark Crystal (1982)
The Sword and Sorcerer (1982)
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Krull (1983)
Conan the Destroyer (1984)
The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984)
Ladyhawke (1985)
Legend (1985)
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
Labyrinth (1986)
Lionheart (1987)
Mio in the Land of Faraway (1987)
Willow (1988)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
Erik the Viking (1989)
Basket Case 3 (1991)
Snow White and the Dwarfs' Secret (Snehurka a Sedm Trpasliku / Schneewittchen und das Geheimnis der Zwerge, 1992)
Army of Darkness (1992)
other Terry Gilliam's films

What's more is he drew a short animation of the scene based on his recollection! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA_ejq-rrqM&ab_channel=RicardoCaco It is a fair representation of what I remember too.

I was content to just keep an eye open for it but this guy's been looking for the same movie for a long time, so I feel like I really have to find it now.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
More like something else to discard because it's pretty obviously not it (as I see no real similarities otherwise), but I just stumbled upon a "medieval" episode from The Wild Wild West that features a tall knight suit being operated by a little person (not a fantasy dwarf). The actual title of the episode is apparently "The Night of the Green Terror", not what the YouTube video says.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hearts and Armour?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0086074/

imdb posted:

Bradamante, a woman wearing an invincible suit of armor, is travelling the countryside at the time of the Crusades. After ending up in the middle of a web of romantic and cultural tangles, she finds herself in love with a Moor prince, while one of the Christian knights has fallen in love with a Moor princess. Others, however, are against the cross-cultural romance, and Bradamante's love is soon forced into a duel to the death. Will she ever be with her true love?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh hey, the full film is on Youtube.

Edit: a VERY similar looking scene happens at the 48:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhLNA6c9dj0&t=2889s

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganraam
Feb 26, 2005

Whatever he does represents both a gain and a loss, an arrival and a departure.

westborn posted:

More like something else to discard because it's pretty obviously not it (as I see no real similarities otherwise), but I just stumbled upon a "medieval" episode from The Wild Wild West that features a tall knight suit being operated by a little person (not a fantasy dwarf). The actual title of the episode is apparently "The Night of the Green Terror", not what the YouTube video says.

It's not either of these but it's interesting that that is a recurring trope. The armor opened from the front, and it may not have been a gleaming suit of plate: it may have been more of a black tunic or tabard or something like that. But when it opened, you could see most of the pilot's body and the apparatus he was using to control the armor (levers and so on). The drawings the guy I talked to on reddit do really match what I remember.

A few additional thoughts--the scene at the end was sort of a twist ending. I don't think we saw the pilot character before that final scene. I think the movie was about this big knight terrorizing people in or near a forest. Eventually the hero defeats him. So the movie up until that point might have been more like a medieval slasher/monster film.

I remember after the knight was defeated the hero found out that he had built the armor because people were bullying him but I don't remember how that was communicated. I don't think the pilot spoke to him, I think he just died. He may have left notes or a diary behind that they read later.

I can't be certain of the timeline. I think I saw it between 1988--1992 based on my memory of where we lived when I saw it. I was very young so I think it was probably more like '88. It was definitely BEFORE 1995.

I'd be surprised if the movie were made much before the time I saw it but I don't have evidence for that. (i.e. I think it was made in the mid to late 80s)

My dad likes indie movies and we often rented from the video store. I distinctly remember seeing many other movies he rented. For example, he and I watched Time Chasers several years after the movie I'm trying to find. David Giancola lives in Vermont and I believe Time Chasers was filmed there too. We lived in New Hampshire at the time, so I wonder if our video store had a locally produced section but that is just speculation--I have no idea where the movie was filmed.

I do also remember there was horse riding (maybe even stunt riding), so the actor, director, or producer may have owned horses. (This COULD be me mixing up two movies but I feel like it is the same one).

I'm currently trying to chase down some kind of local film registry or other record. It's slow going. But I think that while the big reveal at the end of the movie is probably what people would remember, that was only one scene at the very end.