Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chglcu posted:

I think my favorite thing in this game may be how the autopilot will plow straight in to every asteroid in your flight path while breaking you out of travel mode and making a huge circle around ones you were never going to hit.
If I realize my route goes through an asteroid field i leave it to the pilot (well, i mostly do that anyway) and just go External View on a station far away so suddenly my ship no longer cares about collision at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also I still need advice for that to put in the turrets on an Osprey and such.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Zereth posted:

Also I still need advice for that to put in the turrets on an Osprey and such.

Strip the osprey , sell it and buy a Nemesis, Dragon, Katana or Falx.
Then put argon bolt or some flak or pulse.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

is it possible to re-prioritize the order things will be constructed in for a station. Turns out i put the storages pretty far down in the build order but i don't want ot re-do everything so they get built and it can start producing while in construction.

Krogort posted:

Strip the osprey , sell it and buy a Nemesis, Dragon, Katana or Falx.
Then put argon bolt or some flak or pulse.
Only Nemesis shows up in my encylopedia. What's wrong with the osprey?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Anyone else having sector patrols randomly going hostile and attacking your nearest station? Usually it's only a couple of ships but occasionally I've had entire fleets go crazy on me. One time it was so bad I went from +21 rep to -15 by the time the dust settled. I've had to reload hours old save games more than once just because of the rep lost. The frequency is pretty low but it consistently happens.

I've only managed to 'watch' it happen a few times but it follows a pattern. The Squad leader turns pink and has a -18 rep with me. Flies around for about 10 mins and either just goes back to blue or turns red. At which point it'll beeline towards my nearest factory and attack it. The turning full hostile seems to be random as I've had a couple of times where I happened to have a savegame just before they turned hostile and a reload turns it into a coinflip on if they go red or not. I haven't seen any any reason for the escalation (like scanning one of my ships or friendly fire) when it happens.

Being in sector personally *seems* to make it less likely but that just might be RNG.

I have all my ships set to 'comply' to police and had it happen in sectors where I know none of my ships would have illegal goods. I've turned off all my drug factories just in case and it didn't effect it at all. It's happened across all races and only seems to happen in sectors I have factories. Though I guess it's possible I've had security in non-station sectors turn hostile and just chill out when they didn't have any of my property to kill.

This a bug anyone is aware of or is there something else going on? I've played this for hundreds of hours and I can't recall ever seeing sector security attack my stations or do more than harass my drug transporters.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zereth posted:

is it possible to re-prioritize the order things will be constructed in for a station. Turns out i put the storages pretty far down in the build order but i don't want ot re-do everything so they get built and it can start producing while in construction.

You sorta can by moving or swapping out sections, which is why the raw material station I have building currently has three non- connected sections

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Zereth posted:

The others are part of the Terran and Split DLC.
The problem with the osprey is that it is terribly slow

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why the gently caress is the ore miner i assigned to the station four jumps away in teladi space instead of in that sector next door to Argon Prime :negative:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Zereth posted:

Why the gently caress is the ore miner i assigned to the station four jumps away in teladi space instead of in that sector next door to Argon Prime :negative:

Welcome to 4.0!

Edit: For real though they "balanced" things so that miners will evaluate the resource levels in a huge radius now and beeline for the highest numbers despite sufficient numbers being close, it's a really bizarre change.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maybe I should actually use resource probes. Is there some mod that'll give me a script i can supply to a scout to go place them sensibly for me or something

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Someone was saying earlier that construction drones were used to build ships in a fabrication bay. I'm a little confused because I looked it up and it seems like construction drones are only used for building stations. Do I have something wrong?

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence/display/X4WIKI/Drones

Not pointing fingers, just want to clear it up for my own knowledge to maximize my stations output.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Here's a post by a moderator regarding the drones needed. They also are only something a station can have once it has a fabrication bay.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Interesting, thanks for the link. This means I can build ships faster to fuel all the wars I've started . :getin:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Tabletops posted:

whats the coolest/best/most fun small ship to fly? I like the kestrel but it's pretty anemic in a fight

edit: can I get a cube/geometric shape ship?

Split Chimera! It has five guns and is absurdly fast and maneuverable. It's so expensive though that by the time you're in the running for one you might want to consider one of the fast corvettes instead

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How's the Osaka?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was a tad unlucky on my Terran start. After scanning the Earth tours, I was hoping to finally grab my Rapier or whatever it’s called, but the Oberth apparently ate it on the toxic rocks and took my docked, crewless ship along with it. That, and I lost my Calypso, which means I haven’t really gotten all that much out of the plot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Seriously exactly how important is using resource probes, and if it is important, how can I tell somebody else to do it for me?

EDIT: is there some way I can be the guy offering like 60k to go find a specified density of resource? :thunk:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 28, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

It's slow and only has two guns on the front. A few of the frigates are like this and I don't really get the point of them, they're slow, fat, poorly armed, and have a landing pad that I don't see the point in.

Unless you want to use one as a drone carrier I wouldn't bother, go for corvettes which carry more guns but lose the dock, on the plus side this means the ship is no longer a horrible blob to accomodate the dock :v:

The Falx at least has four guns, not sure about the split one but knowing them it's probably upgunned too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 28, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Tabletops posted:

whats the coolest/best/most fun small ship to fly? I like the kestrel but it's pretty anemic in a fight

edit: can I get a cube/geometric shape ship?

I really enjoy the Split ships a lot, probably my favorite in the game looks wise. In X3 I managed to capture a Xenon smaller ship and flew that around, but I heard you cant do that in X4 sadly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Darkhold posted:

Anyone else having sector patrols randomly going hostile and attacking your nearest station? *snip*

Did you pay your plot taxes to license the plot?

Zereth posted:

Seriously exactly how important is using resource probes, and if it is important, how can I tell somebody else to do it for me?

Supposedly, they're supposed to use the resource probe results to determine where to mine. I've seen no real difference though between using them or not.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slickdrac posted:

Supposedly, they're supposed to use the resource probe results to determine where to mine. I've seen no real difference though between using them or not.
Well, gently caress dealing with them then I took one of the "find density of resource" misison and it was a colossal pain and i never did finish it.

Also I noticed once construction was like halfway through and the hull parts modules were already built that there were like two other hull parts stations in the sector, is it possible to uh, move a station? Or get a refund for the hull parts modules and just sell graphene and refined metal?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zereth posted:

EDIT: is there some way I can be the guy offering like 60k to go find a specified density of resource? :thunk:
According to the developers a miner/manager will evaluate the concentration where they are, where they've been, and compare to the concentration of resource probes in range and pick the best option.

In effect they seem to lose their minds and a lot of people say just don't place them and/or use sector blacklists.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zereth posted:

Well, gently caress dealing with them then I took one of the "find density of resource" misison and it was a colossal pain and i never did finish it.

Also I noticed once construction was like halfway through and the hull parts modules were already built that there were like two other hull parts stations in the sector, is it possible to uh, move a station? Or get a refund for the hull parts modules and just sell graphene and refined metal?

There are NEVER enough hull parts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

zedprime posted:

According to the developers a miner/manager will evaluate the concentration where they are, where they've been, and compare to the concentration of resource probes in range and pick the best option.

In effect they seem to lose their minds and a lot of people say just don't place them and/or use sector blacklists.
I guess I should pick up the ones I did place for the mission and the one the PHQ mission wanted me to place, then.

Taerkar posted:

There are NEVER enough hull parts.
Yeah, but I was thinking maybe I should've put it somewhere there were fewer hull part factories already.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Just sabotage those stations! There seems to be no negative reprocusions of messing with the stations computers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Worst case you are now partially integrated to create another hull parts factory with your own hull parts.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

a7m2 posted:

How's the Osaka?

It plays second-fiddle to the Syn in terms of striking power but the fact that it has more M turrets than the Syn does make it a respectable anti-fighter platform if you load it up with Argon or Split flak turrets. Also the Terran capital main batteries are straight up the best in the game, no contest. Their projectile speed is enough that you can reliably melt any medium ship that's unfortunate enough to cross your line of fire and you can nail the occasional unlucky small ship that decides to fly in a straight line toward you if you're quick enough.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I sold the main battery on a Rattlesnake by reflex setting it to min spec at the shipyard, is it worth hanging on to if I ever want to use it? I figure I'm going to need 20 rep with one of the Split which I can probably find another Rattlesnake by then. But haven't actually uncovered a Split wharf to see what it'd take to rearm the main battery.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Slickdrac posted:

Did you pay your plot taxes to license the plot?
Yup. I'm completely baffled why this is happening.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

zedprime posted:

If I sold the main battery on a Rattlesnake by reflex setting it to min spec at the shipyard, is it worth hanging on to if I ever want to use it? I figure I'm going to need 20 rep with one of the Split which I can probably find another Rattlesnake by then. But haven't actually uncovered a Split wharf to see what it'd take to rearm the main battery.

Even with just turrets it will still have more firepower than most other destroyers, but missing the main guns will feel annoying if you're flying it around yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I now have every plot remaining going at once (Yaki, Covert, Paranid, Split), the Paranids are at war with each other (I'm not sure if that's plot related or it just happened), HOP is also at war with Argon, the Split seem to not matter, and the Xenon have been oddly quiet. I have a station economy beginning, a ragtag fighter wing, a pair of frigates, and my main corvette. Things feel like they're about to explode lol, I love it

It's a little weird that the Teladi don't have any missions associated with them though. They're kind of just there, chilling and making bank

e: I have the items to craft ship mods but I can't seem to make any at the crafting benches in Ship Dealerships. Do I need the blueprints/research first and the game was just telling me not to toss any of the things I've been picking up out? I can make some sort of upgraded booster it seems, according to the pickup log

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 28, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ughhh the Ministry of Finance has started noticing that I don't have a license for the HQ's space but it's expensive and the hull part factory is still having supply problems. Is there a way to generate random mission for them reliably so they don't get annoyed enough to attack me?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zereth posted:

Ughhh the Ministry of Finance has started noticing that I don't have a license for the HQ's space but it's expensive and the hull part factory is still having supply problems. Is there a way to generate random mission for them reliably so they don't get annoyed enough to attack me?

That's weird, when I got the PHQ it automatically made the largest plot in the game for it (which I only know because I got the cheevo for that lol)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They never complained until after I got another plot. Oh god, did I delete the "i own this plot" by accident?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I think its time to add some mods. Any suggestions for QoL mods other than the Mule mod?

Why the hell is screen space reflections turned off by default in the high settings? I just found out after playing for a couple of days that it was turned off, now everything looks shiny and so much better.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 28, 2021

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zereth posted:

The Nemesis is a Bugatti Veyron to the Osprey's Nissan Cube. The Nemesis is sleek, fast, deadly and liable to leave you upturned in a ditch because you believed that you were immortal, the Osprey can carry more stuff?. If you have Split Vendetta the Dragon is an even faster hit and run fighter, not very durable and rewards skilled piloting ( don't bounce off your victims ). The Osprey is in a different class of M fighters along with the Cerberus, Gorgon Cobra and Falx where you can dock your personal S Class fighter, the Nemesis is your personal fighter. If you have CoH the Falx stands out from it's class as a baby carrier because it has 4 front weapon hardpoints and dat rear end, but it's still slow and boxy, I prefer the Katana ( or Acura if you prefer :iiaca: ) as it slots into the combat corvette role along with the Nemesis and Dragon, excellent at catching, cleaning and gutting capital ships so your cheap troop transports can do their job.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
What´s a good way to take down Xenon stations from OOS? I´ve had 6 Odysseus and 2 Rattlesnakes circling around a solar power plant for probably 20 minutes in SETA and it´s barely down to 90%. And I constantly have to drop in and micromanage one or 2 out of range of the gravitons.

Is this a job for missile boats?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

From what I've heard, you need like a dozen destroyers and an rear end load of fighters for destraction. And expect casualties.

Another method is to get long-range turrets and "inch up" just outside of the station's turret range. You can also do this with npc ships but make sure they are set to ignore combat (but not turrets, obv) so they stay exactly where you want them.

Generally, you just blob them to death.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So my current ship seems to be 'stuck'. It has an automatic Dock order set to critical with a station but it isn't doing anything and refuses to move no matter how many times I swap out my captains or manually control the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I'm a total newbie. Which start is recommended? i think I tried this game when it first launched bc it sounded awesome, but quickyl got bored of "young gun". At the time everyhting felt very hollow.