Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not that model in specific, but I owned a pair of Earfun 53s before I lost them somehow and couldn't ever find them again.

If you want something good, simple and cheap, get the SoundPEATS TruEngine SE. They last about 5 or 6 hours, charge super fast, have a simple but fully featured button control set, and never disconnect until you go literally 10+ meters away from the connected system. Even the audio quality is excellent. I own two of these because I liked them just that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just checking in to say I've had my 6xx about 15 months now (I thought it was more like a year, I guess I got my er4s about a year ago) and I still love them, that is all.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Would I need a headphone amp to power the Drop HD 6XX or would they be okay with just my motherboard's onboard sound?

Edit: My motherboard is the Asus B550-F

Gunder fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 27, 2021

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Gunder posted:

Would I need a headphone amp to power the Drop HD 6XX or would they be okay with just my motherboard's onboard sound?

They would probably work with the onboard, but would definitely sound better and fuller with an amp and you would not regret it. You already invested in a nice par of cans, it would be silly not to have them at their full potential.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

This is probably hopeless, but does anyone have any recommendations for headphones for sleeping that aren’t in ear? My fiancée likes to listen to videos at night while sleeping but has really sensitive ears. We were looking at the Kokoon stuff and all the different headbands but it’s hard to tell what’s a straight gimmick and what actually works.

Just imagine money is no object for these purposes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I don’t have any specific recs but I much prefer the headbands I’ve tried (find a well-rated one, I guess) to in-ear stuff. At minimum try to find something ventilated that won’t turn your partner’s ears into a disgusting Petri dish in the night

The few times I’ve slept with earbuds in I’ve definitely felt it in the morning. I never thought the inside of my ear could feel gross and dirty, but welp

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'd love a good headband style bluetooth set for sleeping but I wonder if after timing out it would scream BLUETOOTH DISCONNECTED in Chinese, that would probably wake me up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I slept with a wired headband for ages, my trick was to attach a lil mp3 player with white noise on a loop

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I slept with a wired headband for ages, my trick was to attach a lil mp3 player with white noise on a loop

The OG iPod Shuffle was the best for stuff like this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

The OG iPod Shuffle was the best for stuff like this.

you mean the Mk2 or Mk4 (the clippy ones with buttons)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also, op, one of my exes was the same way with podcasts and what we did was just play them at a reasonable volume through a Bluetooth speaker with a sleep timer set. It was fine and it didn’t bother me and I picked up the habit myself.

It requires you to get used to it, but I can’t imagine your partner’s taste in videos is that bad.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

you mean the Mk2 or Mk4 (the clippy ones with buttons)

Lanyard stick of gum with 24hr battery life. I slept through so many red eye flight with that and the Shure E500s with comply foam tips.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Lanyard stick of gum with 24hr battery life. I slept through so many red eye flight with that and the Shure E500s with comply foam tips.

As someone who’s tried sleeping with a gen 1 Shuffle recently, not recommended if you move about in your sleep. Can see it being real nice for flights though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's kind of a bummer, those are good cans. Audio Technica still makes that style if you like it, check out the A990Z.

If you already have a modmic you're much better off putting that on a set of proper headphones, gaming headsets haven't really caught up in terms of sound quality except in rare cases.

Thought I'd post a mini-review of my A990Z's now that I've had them for a few weeks. I won't attempt to compare the sound quality beyond saying it seems fine/the same. I was never an expert and my left ear hearing is messed up. With that said the ear pads are circles and the padding sucks, and I get static shocked with these ones whereas my old ATH-A700s I never got static shocked. Google tells me it's a general thing that happens but still very annoying.

I actually swapped the pads with a new pair of pads I had on hand for the ATH-A700 which are larger oval shaped and seem to have better padding as well. Made the new setup more comfortable and reduced the amount of static shock times to, well, a lot less. I think they'll serve me well, hopefully for as many years as the old ones did.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Kind of hard to find a review of the HyperX Cloud Orbit (S or no) outside of gaming tech websites. Anyone actually try these out? Bummed out after buying the arctis pros on sale (wired, the ones with the "gameDAC"), especially having had experience with decent headphones, and the Orbits being planar magnetic drivers housed in HyperX cans, which have a reputation for being pretty comfortable, seem like they have a lot going for them. I'd want to take advantage of those drivers and use them for music though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Kind of hard to find a review of the HyperX Cloud Orbit (S or no) outside of gaming tech websites. Anyone actually try these out? Bummed out after buying the arctis pros on sale (wired, the ones with the "gameDAC"), especially having had experience with decent headphones, and the Orbits being planar magnetic drivers housed in HyperX cans, which have a reputation for being pretty comfortable, seem like they have a lot going for them. I'd want to take advantage of those drivers and use them for music though.

The Orbit S is a rebadged Audeze Mobius without the Bluetooth (I think the plastic is even the same, or very similar), so look for reviews of those.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Looking for new headphones (getting separate mic so microphone not necessary). I don't know much about what I like (been using crappy Logitech GaMiNg headset that broke recently) but at my old job I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 300 Pro that I really like but is a bit out of my price range so I've been looking at the other Sennheiser's that are sub - $100 CDN (so far been looking at the HD 200 PRO ) that is $90 CDN and maybe the HD 280 PRO ($125 CDN) if the difference is worth the cost.

I looked through that MadLust's reviews but his are tiered in USD so the two tiers are a bit awkward ($0-$50 are too cheap, $50 - $150 end up being too expensive). MadLust recommends the Sennheiser HD201 but the plastic on it to me looks cheap. This is primarily for gaming. Here's my thing:

Budget - $90 - 120 CDN
Source - Direct to PC
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM? Over-ear? Etc.: Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - no preference
Past Headphones - I've used the Sennheiser HD300 PRO and really liked them both audio quality, comfort and look-feel wise (though I do get a bit sweaty in the fauxleather earcups), and my previous headphones are Logitech G332 gaming headsets that were fine for me audio quality wise but had endless problems with the boom mic (prefer to get a mic so I don't need a headset) and the dumb cheap feeling swivel piece broke only after about a year of use (and I've always hated the cheap plastic feel to them anyways). If possible, I'd like to find something with comparable audio quality, but with less cheap-feeling more "sturdy" feel.
Preferred Music - None really, I'll only be gaming with these or watching dumb videos online and I'm the furthest from an audiophile possible but I don't like a cheap/loose feel to the plastic quality.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

Looking for new headphones (getting separate mic so microphone not necessary). I don't know much about what I like (been using crappy Logitech GaMiNg headset that broke recently) but at my old job I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 300 Pro that I really like but is a bit out of my price range so I've been looking at the other Sennheiser's that are sub - $100 CDN (so far been looking at the HD 200 PRO ) that is $90 CDN and maybe the HD 280 PRO ($125 CDN) if the difference is worth the cost.

I looked through that MadLust's reviews but his are tiered in USD so the two tiers are a bit awkward ($0-$50 are too cheap, $50 - $150 end up being too expensive). MadLust recommends the Sennheiser HD201 but the plastic on it to me looks cheap. This is primarily for gaming. Here's my thing:

Budget - $90 - 120 CDN
Source - Direct to PC
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM? Over-ear? Etc.: Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - no preference
Past Headphones - I've used the Sennheiser HD300 PRO and really liked them both audio quality, comfort and look-feel wise (though I do get a bit sweaty in the fauxleather earcups), and my previous headphones are Logitech G332 gaming headsets that were fine for me audio quality wise but had endless problems with the boom mic (prefer to get a mic so I don't need a headset) and the dumb cheap feeling swivel piece broke only after about a year of use (and I've always hated the cheap plastic feel to them anyways). If possible, I'd like to find something with comparable audio quality, but with less cheap-feeling more "sturdy" feel.
Preferred Music - None really, I'll only be gaming with these or watching dumb videos online and I'm the furthest from an audiophile possible but I don't like a cheap/loose feel to the plastic quality.

Here, I posted this for somebody else but I’d recommend both of these to you because they’re both built like tanks. The Sony should last you years, though you’ll have to replace the ear pads ($10-20) eventually

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024221-OREG/audio_technica_ath_m40x_closed_back_professional_studio.html
these do everything you want

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html
these don’t have a detachable cable but maybe they fit more of the aesthetic vibe you seek, as they’ve been in production in some capacity or other since 1985 (technically 1991 for this specific model but the chassis was p much the same). This can be easily cable-modded and Sony sells replacement cables.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

I own an Audeze Mobius which is the same thing with BT (as mentioned above). Sound quality is great and I regularly use them just for music when I’m working. Mic quality is really good from what I’ve been told on the other end of my constant video conferences. As you could probably guess, the “3D audio” feature is a useless gimmick that I used once, hated and never turned on again.

Now for the bad news - the comfort is garbage. I can’t take the clamping force on my ears for more then an hour or so at a time even after a few attempts at loosening the headband. The headband padding is almost useless and adds to the discomfort of the clamping force. The ear pads are comfortable enough but a little small for my ears and you can’t replace them with anything larger since the mounting system is proprietary. Just keep in mind I have a huge head and wear glasses so the comfort issues I have may not apply to everyone.

Overall, if I didn’t have such an issue with the comfort, these would have been my favorite closed backs. I still plan on keeping them until they break so take that as you will. It also helps that I found them used like new for a little over $200.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The one defining thing with Audeze stuff does always seem to be the sound is great but they're hella uncomfortable.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When it comes to gaming headsets with integrated mics, is the Sennheiser Game One still a safe bet? I’ve hear mixed things about the GSP 500. Also, how’s the Drop PC38X? It seems to be the driver from the GSP 500, but in the Game One form factor?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oysters Autobio posted:

Looking for new headphones (getting separate mic so microphone not necessary).

Status Audio CB-1. Much, much more comfortable and cheaper than either the sony or AT options at that price.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

The one defining thing with Audeze stuff does always seem to be the sound is great but they're hella uncomfortable.

I also own the LCD-2C and don’t find them uncomfortable. I mean, comparing the weight to a HD6XX/HD58X, yeah I can see where people would find the weight annoying after a while but it hasn’t been a problem for me so far.

Unrelated - What’s the next step up from the Blon BL03? I’ve been eyeing the Starfield, Fiio FH3 and considering upping my budget for a Ikko OH10. I liked the BL03’s fun bass tuning and looking for a cleaner version of that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Arcsech posted:

The Orbit S is a rebadged Audeze Mobius without the Bluetooth (I think the plastic is even the same, or very similar), so look for reviews of those.
These guys have frequency response graphs of both the HyperX Orbit S and the Audeze Mobius and while they are very close there is a weird 200-400 Hz dip in the HyperX. I wonder what the cause of that is.

https://www.soundguys.com/hyperx-cloud-orbit-s-review-26173/

https://www.soundguys.com/audeze-mobius-review-23342/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

I also own the LCD-2C and don’t find them uncomfortable. I mean, comparing the weight to a HD6XX/HD58X, yeah I can see where people would find the weight annoying after a while but it hasn’t been a problem for me so far.

Unrelated - What’s the next step up from the Blon BL03? I’ve been eyeing the Starfield, Fiio FH3 and considering upping my budget for a Ikko OH10. I liked the BL03’s fun bass tuning and looking for a cleaner version of that.

I like the FH3 a lot, that would be my recommendation of those 3. OH10 and the Moondrop sets are way more intense in the upper mids and lower treble, so I am not sure if they will be what you're looking for, even though they do have really good bass. FH3 has a slightly mellow tuning, big bass emphasis, and is pretty solid on detail retrieval.

iBasso IT00 might fit the bill for you as well.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for something a little bit specific. I'm looking to finally upgrade my old over-the-ear headphones for my pc, and am looking to get some nice wireless ones, around $100-$150. I don't need a built in microphone or noise-cancelling features.

Now, the strange demand for the headphones; they have to be comfortable with only one side on my ear sometimes. I know I could get in-ear buds (I already have some), but I'm looking for the sound that over-ear headphones have.

I feel like this is really a per-person case for what is comfortable and what isn't, but I would imagine something that allows for adjustment and flexibility would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I ended up buying Audio Technica ATH-SR30BT, they have pretty nice sound compared to everything I already own, and fit nice

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 1, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I had my LCD-Xs repaired with new pads installed and got them back and now for whatever reason the fazors rest on the most protruding part of my antihelix and it feels like utter poo poo after less than an hour.

Audeze comfort is definitely all over the place and seems highly case-by-case dependent. My headphones were fine before in this regard. Maybe my ears are just weird. They were always heavy as poo poo but jeez.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for something a little bit specific. I'm looking to finally upgrade my old over-the-ear headphones for my pc, and am looking to get some nice wireless ones, around $100-$150. I don't need a built in microphone or noise-cancelling features.

Now, the strange demand for the headphones; they have to be comfortable with only one side on my ear sometimes. I know I could get in-ear buds (I already have some), but I'm looking for the sound that over-ear headphones have.

I feel like this is really a per-person case for what is comfortable and what isn't, but I would imagine something that allows for adjustment and flexibility would be nice. Thanks in advance!
For PC only and wireless, I really love the Corsair Virtuoso. The ones I bought are all aluminum, no plastic and work with standard stereo cable, USB-C or wireless. They have a mic but you can detach it which is the main reason I went with them. It works great. I think the only thing that annoys me is to get sidetone without latency, you have to use the mic it comes with. Windows for some reason adds some latency when using a secondary mic. It isn't related to the headset, seems just like a windows thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JCX68VZ/

These are what I bough, I got them for $179 I think, you can get the same ones without the aluminum build for $150 I believe.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 29, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rusty posted:

For PC only and wireless, I really love the Corsair Virtuoso. The ones I bought are all aluminum, no plastic and work with standard stereo cable, USB-C or wireless. They have a mic but you can detach it which is the main reason I went with them. It works great. I think the only thing that annoys me is to get sidetone without latency, you have to use the mic it comes with. Windows for some reason adds some latency when using a secondary mic. It isn't related to the headset, seems just like a windows thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JCX68VZ/

These are what I bough, I got them for $179 I think, you can get the same ones without the aluminum build for $150 I believe.

Oof, the import fees to canada are pretty rough and I cant find any locally. Thanks anyway, those look pretty nice.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gunder posted:

your motherboard will be powerful enough but probably also have a noisy sound output, relatively. it looks like that board uses a realtek chip and they're not fantastic, along with most motherboards having poorly insulated audio even if they use decent parts, but you probably don't need an amp

if you get a better DAC--a $9 Apple USB-C dongle is legit good--and a good amp, for which the best option is probably the $99 JDS Atom, you may hear an increase in sound quality but it won't be night and day. you'll also have the peace of mind of knowing you've got good audio with no further need to seek upgrades

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
has anybody ever tried running a Mac through an Apple DAC dongle? Does it improve the sound?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Wheeee posted:

your motherboard will be powerful enough but probably also have a noisy sound output, relatively. it looks like that board uses a realtek chip and they're not fantastic, along with most motherboards having poorly insulated audio even if they use decent parts, but you probably don't need an amp

if you get a better DAC--a $9 Apple USB-C dongle is legit good--and a good amp, for which the best option is probably the $99 JDS Atom, you may hear an increase in sound quality but it won't be night and day. you'll also have the peace of mind of knowing you've got good audio with no further need to seek upgrades

Thanks for this. I was wondering what to do about an Amp/DAC. The only ones I saw people talking about was the Schiit stack combo, but I hadn't heard of the Atom. I'd be using the 6XX for a lot of gaming, so I'd probably get a USB modmic to stick on the side of the headphones for chat purposes.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just a heads up that Shenzen Audio has an up to 15% off sale on some of their stuff. You can pick up well regarded Moondrop Blessing 2 for $287.99 and the Softears RSV5 for $708 etc. A bunch of DAC and DAC/Amp stacks are also on sale. Not a huge discount but if you were already looking it's not bad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Gunder posted:

Thanks for this. I was wondering what to do about an Amp/DAC. The only ones I saw people talking about was the Schiit stack combo, but I hadn't heard of the Atom. I'd be using the 6XX for a lot of gaming, so I'd probably get a USB modmic to stick on the side of the headphones for chat purposes.

in terms of audible sound quality the schiit and jds labs equivalent amps will sound exactly the same, where the atom is a better choice is in quality control and support, schiit is not well-regarded for quality even if their stuff generally sounds good for the price

i personally use a desktop mic but modmics are popular

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The cable on my DT990s is going, and given their age and their limitations, I'm more interested in getting new headphones than finding someone to repair the cable. Anyone care to make me a recommendation?

Budget - $300 or so would be good. I could stretch a little if needed.
Source - Schiit Asgard 2.
Isolation Requirements - None. These are for use in my home office, and nobody else comes in here for long.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumnaural. I have a big old head (one size fits all hats usually don't fit me) so nothing too tight please.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I used to play bass and I love that low end, but I want something balanced.
Past Headphones - I was OK with those 990s, honestly. I've also had Audio-Technica ATH-A700xs and Sennheiser HD-280s and didn't really feel any affection for them. The HD-280s, especially, were just too tight, and I was delighted to pass them on. I own some WH-1000XM3 and they really are just too bassy. I like them for fun but I would not want them for my primary listening headphones.
Preferred Music - I love Rush and old Genesis but I also like Frank Zappa, Indigo Girls, and Against Me! The only thing I do not listen to is country... though even then, I do have a token Ray Wylie Hubbard album.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 30, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Wheeee posted:

in terms of audible sound quality the schiit and jds labs equivalent amps will sound exactly the same, where the atom is a better choice is in quality control and support, schiit is not well-regarded for quality even if their stuff generally sounds good for the price

i personally use a desktop mic but modmics are popular

Do you think it would be worth it to get the JDS Atom DAC as well in order to improve the quality of the output?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea the atom DAC is quite good and an atom DAC+amp combo would be all you ever need unless you fall on your head and decide to start loving with stax

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, recent Schiit stuff has had some weird QC stuff going on. I've had the Magni 2 for a long time and had no issues with it. "Upgraded" to a Magni Heresy just for the colour scheme, lol. But it appears that some Magni 3+'s have been smoking up from recent reports.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

these headphones ive had for a couple years seem to be on their way out
so uh
what're some good general-purpose over-ear headphones that i could get for cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The recommendation for cheap over-ear should always be Status Audio CB-1, depending on what you mean by "cheap."