Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i actually know the person who drew the original "femboy hooters" image that started that whole meme
they're pretty cool

:nws: the image in question :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jesus WEP posted:

i read the first three of them. the good bits were real good but the bad bits made it unbearable

there was literally no point reading the rest of them you made the right choice. I remember wolves of the calla being particularly bad.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I have a friend online (whose taste I generally trust) who is like, madly in love with the whole Dark Tower series, and like... I dunno, man, of all the series to hitch your wagon to, Dark Tower is a weird one.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

shoeberto posted:

I have a friend online (whose taste I generally trust) who is like, madly in love with the whole Dark Tower series, and like... I dunno, man, of all the series to hitch your wagon to, Dark Tower is a weird one.

if you really like stephen king it sort of ties his extended universe together in a very literal way

to be generous the overall quality is extremely inconsistent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

to be generous the overall quality is extremely inconsistent

this is stephen king we're talking about

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the guy is prolific, he's written like 60-something books. the vast majority of them suck, but that doesn't matter as long as he keeps cranking them out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stephen King is not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep reading that garbage.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i've always preferred his short stories, he consistently has problems ending his novels

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

infernal machines posted:

the guy is prolific, he's written like 60-something books. the vast majority of them suck, but that doesn't matter as long as he keeps cranking them out

He exists in this weird space for me where I don't really like what he does, but I respect him for doing it, and being successful for as long as he has.

Like I can't say I could do better, I've never written a single book, much less made a career out of doing it. And you can't really accuse him of being formulaic. He's carved out a niche for himself where he's got fans that I don't understand, but whatever, maybe it's just not for me.

But yeah, Dark Tower is pretty dumb, even though I want to like the premise.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've always preferred his short stories, he consistently has problems ending his novels

Actually yeah, I spent some time reading The Night Watch many years ago and dug the way he could put a short story together.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde
at one point in the dark tower series they're fighting robot doctor dooms armed with lightsabers and exploding harry potter sneetches

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i always liked the short story collections too. the novels are too hit or miss

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I wish someone would have the balls to make a proper Running Man film with the end from the short story where he 9/11s the corporate tower as a big gently caress you to the corps

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at one point in the dark tower series they're fighting robot doctor dooms armed with lightsabers and exploding harry potter sneetches

oh my god I forgot about that poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I stopped reading the dark tower after three pages about how amazing sugar was to someone that’s never had it before

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
reading a synopsis of the Dark Tower is a lot cooler and more satisfying than when I tried to read the books

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I also remember within like 5 pages of starting, idk why i thought about it but i got this idea that the series would end with roland being dumped back to the start of the story again and getting really mad that it might happen because it’s a lovely lazy non-ending, and i guess it turns out that’s exactly what happens lmao. maybe i had heard about it and stored it away subconsciously because im pretty sure even king didn’t know he would end the series like that when he started.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

I also remember within like 5 pages of starting, idk why i thought about it but i got this idea that the series would end with roland being dumped back to the start of the story again and getting really mad that it might happen because it’s a lovely lazy non-ending, and i guess it turns out that’s exactly what happens lmao. maybe i had heard about it and stored it away subconsciously because im pretty sure even king didn’t know he would end the series like that when he started.

Again I never finished the series, but reading this is non-surprising by how he telegraphs "ka is a wheel" and poo poo. I don't remember much being talked about like that at the start but in general he's not at all subtle about the design of the universe.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
after a delay - police story 3 tonight

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's american literature, so that poo poo is mostly about racism and eating cowboy beans in the desert or whatever

i'm enjoying the thought of "cowboy beans" or the eating thereof being a euphemism for some filthy poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Fool posted:

I stopped reading the dark tower after three pages about how amazing sugar was to someone that’s never had it before

big cryptonomicon captain crunch energy

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Ok I really did want a decent synopsis of the whole Dark Tower story and some of the poo poo I'm reading is just......... wow

https://darktower.fandom.com/wiki/Roland_Deschain posted:

Roland discovers the only reason the vampires haven't killed him is that he is wearing a gold necklace with God written on it, something he discovers when John (who is also wearing one) is killed by removing it. Roland and Sister Jenna soon escape but are stopped by Sister Mary the head of the organization. However, Sister Mary is killed by the Jesus Dog, a dog with a cross on it Roland discovered in town. Roland and Jenna go to a cave and sleep.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

jesus WEP posted:

ah but he has his bugle this time

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

the same book had the main character Sir Volcel of Coolguns gets all hot and horny in NYC because women are wearing pants and he’s never seen a clothed crotch before, presumably just twisted morasses of petticoats or w/e tae gently caress. very stephen king

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the protagonist of the dark tower series is basically a tradcath lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah but he has his bugle this time

yeah. it’s totally different

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kenny Logins posted:

the same book had the main character Sir Volcel of Coolguns gets all hot and horny in NYC because women are wearing pants and he’s never seen a clothed crotch before, presumably just twisted morasses of petticoats or w/e tae gently caress. very stephen king

roland fucks, op

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this movie owns

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i also bring bazookas to my business meetings

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
king jackie and queen michelle. god tier

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

shoeberto posted:

Ok I really did want a decent synopsis of the whole Dark Tower story and some of the poo poo I'm reading is just......... wow

Jesus dog.... dog with the Jesus on it.... Jesus dog.....

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

roland fucks, op

he gets spermjacked by a ghost

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he gets spermjacked by a ghost

hahahaha oh man I forgot about that as well.

and then later the one female character channels the detta walker borderline racist caricature of herself and fucks a succubus to death

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i forgot theres a bit where the woman kills a literal sex demon by loving it too good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roswPPr2t3U

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drat

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
shut the gently caress up im talking about jacke chan movies

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

hahahaha oh man I forgot about that as well.

and then later the one female character channels the detta walker borderline racist caricature of herself and fucks a succubus to death

it's the same incubus/succubus

it's roland's jizz

makes a mini me of him which is also a spider

the spider baby eats the surrogate mother starting with her breast

this is not as chaste as KLoggins was suggesting

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

after a delay - police story 3 tonight
hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Prime video is starting to get my tastes. It's now suggesting ROBOT JOX and City of Lost Children.