Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunyZ
Mar 16, 2021

(=^_^=)
Work in progress of a painting of Zelda from the 1983, Stephen King film "Pet Sematary". This is one of my favorite movies. I named my fluffy gray cat Church after it. The inspiration for the painting is that Zelda scares the living crud outta my boyfriend, who loves horror. He can't... not... hang this, if I give it to him. Forcing this upon him is just plain fun for me.

SunyZ fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunyZ
Mar 16, 2021

(=^_^=)

Reference photo

My drawing of him 😌 his soul is stolen and now mine.

SunyZ fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 23, 2021

SunyZ
Mar 16, 2021

(=^_^=)

sigma 6 posted:

Just about got the settings right on this last burn. Such a finicky process. 5-10% too much and you burn a hole through the paper or just obscure detail with soot that can't be easily dabbed off.

Technically not traditional art but oh well.

Pyrogropghy is one thing. But in this instance isnt your computer doing the burn for you??? I dont know how those machines work tho so I'm not sure how much influence you had on the original design? I am curious if you could explain more.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Well... first photoshop the original photo with the greeble / tech stuff. Then trace that with Adobe Illustrator. Next photoshop the dirty cup pour into the background. Initially I had planned to have the vector head be different passes in the lightburn software but ultimately that wasn't necessary. After doing 5-6 small versions to figure out the settings - I think I settled with something like 170mm per second around 22% power. So wood and illustration board burn very differently as are there many differences in wood types and grain / surface quality etc.

Ultimately I went though several illustration boards to figure all of that out. There is enough power to add depth, but not enough to burn through the board. The soot build up is overwhelming so you have to lightly spray it with water and the tricky part... make sure to soak up the soot and water VERY carefully with a paper towel. Dabbing is bad idea because you can actually see my finger prints in her shoulder when I did that. Use something as a rolling pin, like a spray can, is much better. These things are a small poster size, so each takes about three hours to make.

So - there ya go. It is not just set it and forget it. There is a lot more. Too much power and you burn through the board or wood. Too little power and there isn't enough contrast. It's a lot of trial and error really but each piece is different and each medium / type of paper or wood is different.

I make these coasters too but if I gently caress up one of those it's generally just 15 minutes or so lost.

Incidently - I just burned canvas board recently and it worked fairly well. Wanting to paint over my burns more. Definitely been playing with gesso board for a while with the idea that I can paint over it.

These are manufactured with gesso and so the burns were very clean. You can put masking tape over the material to make the lines even cleaner when you burn but then you have to spend the time getting each tiny chunk of tape off...

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 24, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Pen n' ink

Double post cuz this is badass. I owe Zoben some burns. That's his skull on the coaster BTW.

For content here is an idea I am developing for a mural. I have the model lined up and I have been trying to find the right hat and ... yeah ... vintage hats are expensive.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 24, 2021

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Just finished this one which I will be posting in SA Mart if anyone is interested

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
WE ARE VENOM

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Quetzalcoatl, The Feathered Serpent

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Keetron posted:

Quetzalcoatl, The Feathered Serpent

ooo what did you do the black lines with? This is lovely.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

ooo what did you do the black lines with? This is lovely.

In this case a pentel pocket brush but more common I use a Kuratake 50 sable brush pen filled with a platinum carbon ink using a converter. The pentel ink is waterproof but needs a bit of a drying time, the carbon ink is waterproof as well but is dry as soon as it loses the gloss. Also, the pentel uses cartridges. Final difference: the pentel brush is synthetic, the kuratake is sable, so a bit softer and I think a smoother ink flow. If you cannot find either, I have been contemplating doing this with a brush and india ink but the convenience of the brush pens is hard to beat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

In this case a pentel pocket brush but more common I use a Kuratake 50 sable brush pen filled with a platinum carbon ink using a converter. The pentel ink is waterproof but needs a bit of a drying time, the carbon ink is waterproof as well but is dry as soon as it loses the gloss. Also, the pentel uses cartridges. Final difference: the pentel brush is synthetic, the kuratake is sable, so a bit softer and I think a smoother ink flow. If you cannot find either, I have been contemplating doing this with a brush and india ink but the convenience of the brush pens is hard to beat.

I love using india ink with my dip pen but there's no real line weight variation possible because it's just a glass dip pen. I might break out a brush though. Thanks!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I love using india ink with my dip pen but there's no real line weight variation possible because it's just a glass dip pen. I might break out a brush though. Thanks!

One tip: dedicate a brush to it and be sure to rinse it out well after use, provided you want to use it more than once. I would recommend a sable no1 brush and some tape on it to mark it.
Fun fact: all inking in Calvin and Hobbs was done using a no1 sable brush and india ink.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Fantastic! Yeah be careful with any ink that has shellac in it, it’ll ruin brushes and pens if not kept immaculately clean.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

Fantastic! Yeah be careful with any ink that has shellac in it, it’ll ruin brushes and pens if not kept immaculately clean.

I have been working with both polycrylic and polyurythane and can definitely say Neon Noodle is right. Plan on throwing that brush away if you use it with shellac.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigma 6 posted:

These are manufactured with gesso and so the burns were very clean. You can put masking tape over the material to make the lines even cleaner when you burn but then you have to spend the time getting each tiny chunk of tape off...

This vertigo thing is awesome and I would buy it if I hadn't gotten fired/quit today.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm terrible at taking care of brushes but I want to move on to some decently expensive ones so I must Change My Ways.

Watercolour tutorial! Some things worked well, some didn't. I like the clouds. And I'm glad I didn't break out a ruler for the eyewheel, I like wibbliness and vagueness and looseness in watercolour. Wish Westminster Bridge didn't line up with the boat jetty thing so perfectly, I should have been watching out for that. Overall I like it though.

e: in keeping with my usual accidental habit it looks a bit like the Houses of Parliament are on fire but I guess that's just what was in my heart

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

That is really nice, especially that tree. Trees are hard and you nailed it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

That is really nice, especially that tree. Trees are hard and you nailed it.

Aw thanks! Can't take credit for the composition, it's a tutorial I was following, but I am pleased with how the tree came out. I'm slowly learning when to stop loving with things and leave them be.

e: Bought some very cheap khadi cotton rag paper. Only 150gsm. It didn't warp anywhere near as badly as I was expecting considering I didn't pre-stretch it or anything. Must avoid heavy working on it though - fibres started to peel loose. To be fair I was going nuts because I was messing with sky colours and going over the same spot five or six times. Overall I like it, the texture is beautiful and it loves the paint.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 4, 2021

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
I just finished this one for someone in SA Mart. Her name is Betty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Choda Dog posted:

Gorgeous! That soft background is perfect for the darkness of the dog.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

HopperUK posted:

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm terrible at taking care of brushes but I want to move on to some decently expensive ones so I must Change My Ways.

Watercolour tutorial! Some things worked well, some didn't. I like the clouds. And I'm glad I didn't break out a ruler for the eyewheel, I like wibbliness and vagueness and looseness in watercolour. Wish Westminster Bridge didn't line up with the boat jetty thing so perfectly, I should have been watching out for that. Overall I like it though.

e: in keeping with my usual accidental habit it looks a bit like the Houses of Parliament are on fire but I guess that's just what was in my heart
Your whole sky looks marvelous

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Spinz posted:

Your whole sky looks marvelous

Thanks so much! I'm pleased with the clouds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Swan! Love gouache for highlights, my new favourite.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Swan! Love gouache for highlights, my new favourite.

Nice swan!
I saw Marcel Bucci use white gouache mixed with some watercolor pigments and BOOM opaque watercolors, that way he always had the *ability* to make any color opaque if he wanted to.

little car I did for Meh-pril over at the (mostly) goon art discord:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

little car I did for Meh-pril over at the (mostly) goon art discord:

Ooooo your ability to understand the shape of a car makes me jealous, that's gorgeous.

Today, cat!

And cat 2, I enjoyed this one-colour thing.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Choda Dog posted:

i love the texture on her fur! she looks skritchable :3:

a birthday painting for my father

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

perepelki posted:

i love the texture on her fur! she looks skritchable :3:

a birthday painting for my father

Oh my lord I love this! What did you use for the line work?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

HopperUK posted:

Oh my lord I love this! What did you use for the line work?
thank you so much! :h: it's all just acrylic paint

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

This vertigo thing is awesome and I would buy it if I hadn't gotten fired/quit today.

Hey thanks! Made a bunch more in the last few days.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks guys for the great feedback :D

another portrait from SA Mart. This is Ziggy (orange) and Marino (green)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Choda Dog posted:

Thanks guys for the great feedback :D

another portrait from SA Mart. This is Ziggy (orange) and Marino (green)

These colours are *insane* I love them. So much personality in each bird!

I did a Stitch today. I love Stitch beyond reason. Look at his ears.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

These colours are *insane* I love them. So much personality in each bird!

I did a Stitch today. I love Stitch beyond reason. Look at his ears.

Thank you so much! I love the Stitch you made!

Also, I have been known to paint pictures of Dr. Steve Brule. Thinking of doing a whole series

yay new username and custom title! finally that eyesore is gone

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 21, 2021

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

e - Wrong forum.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 21, 2021

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
practicing a new style:

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 22, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I did my first painting. I have no idea what I'm doing. I watched Bob ross all morning, splurged at michaels and then mucked around. I really enjoy this. Oil on a 5 or so inch canvas.

I painted warhammer figures with acrylic before. This is uh, very different. (I feel like lots of people start by painting this lion, it's from a 2 step guide I found)

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 23, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a nice cat, minis painting buddy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VM those flowers under the trees are amaaaazing!

Hey lion painter-- that's great! First painting! You better keep it up :)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I did my first painting. I have no idea what I'm doing. I watched Bob ross all morning, splurged at michaels and then mucked around. I really enjoy this. Oil on a 5 or so inch canvas.

I painted warhammer figures with acrylic before. This is uh, very different. (I feel like lots of people start by painting this lion, it's from a 2 step guide I found)

That's really good for your first try at oils.

They're a different, if not difficult medium. They dry via oxidation and not an evaporative process, so it takes months for them cure fully. This gives them a great ability to blend and rework though.

With oils you can lay your whole pallette out and work for days with it. A generally good rule is to start with your mid tones, push your dark tones, and finish with the lights.

Oils require mineral spirits/solvents to clean and thin, so keep it ventilated!!

Odorless mineral spirits/citrus thinners are better than turpentine, but are still dangerous. I recommend some pallette cups for some sort of mixing oil (linseed is fine), and a cutting solvent. While you can paint straight from the tube, if you mix just a touch of oil and a drop of solvent with your working paint you'll get a nice, buttery smooth paint that lays on well.

Rags and various cups of thinner are your friend. Have my dirty solvent cup where I get the excess paint out of the brush after wiping it with a rag. Then I move to my cleaner solvent cup to finish cleaning the brush when I move on to another color. Get some mineral oil to keep your brushes conditioned for storage as the thinner/solvent is pretty drat hard on the bristles.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

dog nougat posted:

That's really good for your first try at oils.

They're a different, if not difficult medium. They dry via oxidation and not an evaporative process, so it takes months for them cure fully. This gives them a great ability to blend and rework though.

With oils you can lay your whole pallette out and work for days with it. A generally good rule is to start with your mid tones, push your dark tones, and finish with the lights.

Oils require mineral spirits/solvents to clean and thin, so keep it ventilated!!

Odorless mineral spirits/citrus thinners are better than turpentine, but are still dangerous. I recommend some pallette cups for some sort of mixing oil (linseed is fine), and a cutting solvent. While you can paint straight from the tube, if you mix just a touch of oil and a drop of solvent with your working paint you'll get a nice, buttery smooth paint that lays on well.

Rags and various cups of thinner are your friend. Have my dirty solvent cup where I get the excess paint out of the brush after wiping it with a rag. Then I move to my cleaner solvent cup to finish cleaning the brush when I move on to another color. Get some mineral oil to keep your brushes conditioned for storage as the thinner/solvent is pretty drat hard on the bristles.

Very helpful! Dumb question but if I don't want to waste rags, is there a trick to cleaning them? I think if I threw them into the wash my wife would have right and reason to murder me. I'm only asking because being oil based a soak in a bucket seems like it wouldn't work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Very helpful! Dumb question but if I don't want to waste rags, is there a trick to cleaning them? I think if I threw them into the wash my wife would have right and reason to murder me. I'm only asking because being oil based a soak in a bucket seems like it wouldn't work well.

In the sink under cold water. Just a dab of dish soap in the palm of your hand works well. There are also brush cleaning soaps as well. In general try to avoid soaking your bushes standing up, it can soften the glue and bend the bristles.

Edit: really any soap should work fine for brush cleaning, you just need to get the oil out of the brushes (linseed and painting oils over time will rot the fibers of the brushes, which is also why you need to prime oil painted canvases)