Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

IT Chapter 2 had to change one character's adult career from radio disc jockey to stand-up comedian because it's too unrealistic these days to someone to work in radio. Or more specifically, to be rich and famous in radio.

Maybe in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Alhazred posted:

Maybe in the US.

Yeah, I've lived in the US all my life, and I can name way more BBC Radio music DJ's than US ones. Uh, Kasey Kasem? Dr Demento?

We definitely have rich and famous talk show people like Howard Stern or Alex Jones. But actual djs curating music, at least ime, are regional on tiny low-watt indie stations, so neither rich nor famous outside of your area code.* Everything's loving I Heart Radio/Clear Channel autoplay bullshit.

(*Area codes basically dont mean poo poo these days, either!)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Maybe in the US.

I have no idea what the radio situation is in foreign countries. We still have independent radio stations, but no one is making money off them. I guess the future is podcasts, but is anyone really making money off those either? Anyone other than Joe Rogen.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I've lived in the US all my life, and I can name way more BBC Radio music DJ's than US ones. Uh, Kasey Kasem? Dr Demento?

Uh, Shadow Stevens? Delilah? Okay your point's made because that's all I can think of. I can probably name more MTV VJ's.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 28, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cobalt-60 posted:

How many Powerpoint users have seen an actual slide show?

Or an overhead projector.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

10-digit dialing is becoming mandatory in more areas soon: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/25/...ion-hotline-988

I tried to find when 7 digit numbering became the standard in the US, it looks like as late as the 90s the last places had changed from shorter numbers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Krispy Wafer posted:

Uh, Shadow Stevens? Delilah? Okay your point's made because that's all I can think of. I can probably name more MTV VJ's.

Lol, even VJs are obsolete, no? I referenced Downtown Julie Brown the other day at work and was met with blank stares.

Funny you should bring that up, though. Off the top of my head I can name the 2 Juile Browns, Dave Kendall, Adam Curry, and Fab 5 Freddy. If you give me a second I could probably name the dudes on Headbangers Ball. That's twice what I can recall of nationallly famous radio djs, and I'm 47 next month.

Edit:

Guy Axlerod posted:

10-digit dialing is becoming mandatory in more areas soon: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/25/...ion-hotline-988

I tried to find when 7 digit numbering became the standard in the US, it looks like as late as the 90s the last places had changed from shorter numbers.

Oh yeah, understood, but that was kinda my point. What with everyone having cells these days, you gotta put all 10 digits in, because your number has no bearing on where you actually live.

I used to belong to a loose collective of experimental musicians in the early Aughts, and the regional "chapters", so to speak, were named after the area codes. So I joined 804 Noise in Richmond, VA, then went on to found 757 Noise in my (then) home turf of Hampton Roads. Now I live in 540, but kept my old 757 number (it helps weed out spam/robocalls).

So the idea of a particular area code being something that identifies where you live is pointless, that's what I was getting at. If I was to start 540 Noise right now, I'd bet half the people do not have 540 numbers.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 28, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Lol, even VJs are obsolete, no? I referenced Downtown Julie Brown the other day at work and was met with blank stares.

She has a show on Sirius!

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Krispy Wafer posted:

IT Chapter 2 had to change one character's adult career from radio disc jockey to stand-up comedian because it's too unrealistic these days to someone to work in radio. Or more specifically, to be rich and famous in radio.

Wouldn't the actual equivalent have been a podcaster? Although I guess a lot of podcasters are comedians

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Joan posted:

Although I guess a lot of podcasters are comedians

Or rather it's what they want you to believe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It came up in the bands with terrible names GBS thread, but Jello Biafra’s stage name hasn’t made sense to people in ages. It’s been fifty years since Biafra existed so most people won’t get that whole “jello/a terrible famine” thing he was going for.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Oh yeah, understood, but that was kinda my point. What with everyone having cells these days, you gotta put all 10 digits in, because your number has no bearing on where you actually live.

I used to belong to a loose collective of experimental musicians in the early Aughts, and the regional "chapters", so to speak, were named after the area codes. So I joined 804 Noise in Richmond, VA, then went on to found 757 Noise in my (then) home turf of Hampton Roads. Now I live in 540, but kept my old 757 number (it helps weed out spam/robocalls).

So the idea of a particular area code being something that identifies where you live is pointless, that's what I was getting at. If I was to start 540 Noise right now, I'd bet half the people do not have 540 numbers.

Yeah, I was sharing because they are becoming even less meaningful, since you just always dial it. It's just part of your phone number.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cobalt-60 posted:

How many Powerpoint users have seen an actual slide show?

I saw some actual slide shows in school in the mid 00s, can't imagine that's still a thing though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I saw some actual slide shows in school in the mid 00s, can't imagine that's still a thing though.

I was teaching five years ago, and we still very occasionally used overhead projectors. I was teaching Danish as a second language to adults though, so both severely underfunded and with some students being seriously computer illiterate. On that note, I had to teach a woman to use a mouse and keyboard once. That was an experience..
Anyway, having a sheet of plastic with a text or picture lets you draw and write on it in real time, which made sense sometimes.

As for area codes, a similar story is that in the olden days in Denmark, license plates would work in the same way, with the initial two letters (AA 12 345 is the format) indicating which part of the country you came from. The story I heard was that the rural population didn't like it because they felt singled out, but I don't know how true that is. Nowadays it's just ascending by date, with some choice letter combinations being skipped.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

In elementary school, it was always a great honor to be the one who got to turn the knob to advance the film strip. You had to stay alert and listen for the tone on the accompanying cassette tape, otherwise the whole thing would be off.

Kids these days will never know that joy and sense of responsibility.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I was in college a year ago and all the lectures still used overhead projectors with powerpoint or sometimes even handwritten slides

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My kids' school uses a digital video camera that faces down at the desk. The feed is sent to a video overhead projector. Easy peasy and better in every way compared to traditional overhead projectors. Granted your classroom needs a multi-thousand dollar video projector for that to work.

I never got to work the classroom film projector, but I did work in the high school library where I shelved filmstrips in the multimedia room. We also got trained on the new barcode guns for checking out books. Pew pew pew!!!

What's sad is all the blackboards are going away. Now that side of the room is dominated by the projector screen and if you're lucky a write/erase board. When I used to substitute there wouldn't be a place to write Mr. Krispy Wafer.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 28, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Joan posted:

I was in college a year ago and all the lectures still used overhead projectors with powerpoint or sometimes even handwritten slides

How do you use powerpoint on an overhead projector? Print out the slides onto transparencies?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

How do you use powerpoint on an overhead projector? Print out the slides onto transparencies?

Actual no poo poo overhead projectors are so rare now I think they meant it as “a projector that is overhead”

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Powered Descent posted:

You rip the back and the backlight off a monitor and you basically have an lcd transparent slide. I think there were commercial solutions like that too.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

You rip the back and the backlight off a monitor and you basically have an lcd transparent slide. I think there were commercial solutions like that too.

The teachers had special TI-83+ calculators that could connect to a LCD placed on the overhead and project the screen. For calculator lessons or something, but mostly playing galaxian or phoenix.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Joan posted:

Yeah, I could see overhead projectors lasting awhile since they let you write/draw in real time which can be a pain in the rear end on a computer. Actual slide projectors are probably completely obsolete to anyone other than archivists/librarians at this point. Not too hard to find refurbished ones for sale, though.

https://www.porterelectronics.com/kodak-carousel-slide-projector/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

We definitely have rich and famous talk show people like Howard Stern or Alex Jones. But actual djs curating music, at least ime, are regional on tiny low-watt indie stations, so neither rich nor famous outside of your area code.* Everything's loving I Heart Radio/Clear Channel autoplay bullshit.

Wolfman Jack, Alan Freed.
Though Alan Freed has been dead for like 60 years, and Wolfman Jack been gone for a while too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

T. Rex's 1972 song Ballrooms of Mars mentions Alan Freed by name.

How familiar would Brits would have been with Freed? Besides Marc Bolan.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The death of overhead projectors and the blackboard will mean that future generations will never understand the joy of ruining them, by sticking erasers in the projector holes or putting a white crayon in place of chalk in the chalk holders.

Well, I assume modern technology is just as easy to ruin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was in fifth grade a kid put a tiny milk carton inside the overhead projector where it stayed for a few weeks. When he opened it up again to retrieve the milk it was so swolen it looked like a balloon. He then tore it open and poured the putrid contents into the sink.

The stench was so bad that we got the rest of the day off because the class room wasn't usable.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kids' school uses a digital video camera that faces down at the desk. The feed is sent to a video overhead projector. Easy peasy and better in every way compared to traditional overhead projectors.
How easy is it to start a fire with that setup? Yeah, not superior at all.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or an overhead projector.

We were cleaning out an old classroom at my college that my department got to take over to turn into a fancy new lab. I found an overhead projector in the closet and I was elated that they said I could keep it. They're great for painting wall murals.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Original_Z posted:

The death of overhead projectors and the blackboard will mean that future generations will never understand the joy of ruining them, by sticking erasers in the projector holes or putting a white crayon in place of chalk in the chalk holders.

Well, I assume modern technology is just as easy to ruin.

No fingernails on a chalkboard either.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Long before Powerpoint, slides for scientific conferences and other presentations were printed on diazo film which typically resulted in a blue background with white text. This is apparently the reason that a lot of older people still make their presentations with a dark blue background and white text.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I do that because I want all of my presentations to look like the text boxes from Final Fantasy VII.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i loving hated blackboards, between the dryness of the chalk, being told to clap the erasers, and the awful squeaks...

are smartboards still a thing in schools? they were coming up when i was in high school and all the teachers said they were clunky garbage, and didn’t really use them for anything but fancy projection screens, i imagine the tech is much better these days?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The PTA at my kid's school uses funds at the end of the year to help outfit a few more classrooms with smartboards.

An interesting development at my college is we're moving away from video projectors and installing giant flatscreens instead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had to use a Smartboard and yeah they kind of suck. It’s not that they’re bad; they have some nice features. But those don’t outweigh the complexity and cost. If they go on the fritz, it’s a huge brick taking up prime instruction space in your classroom.

Maybe this is already something Zoomers think is weird, but High School kids with a ton of textbooks. My kid never brings home a textbook. There’s a classroom set that can be checked out, but students aren’t assigned books for every subject anymore.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had to use a Smartboard and yeah they kind of suck. It’s not that they’re bad; they have some nice features. But those don’t outweigh the complexity and cost. If they go on the fritz, it’s a huge brick taking up prime instruction space in your classroom.

Maybe this is already something Zoomers think is weird, but High School kids with a ton of textbooks. My kid never brings home a textbook. There’s a classroom set that can be checked out, but students aren’t assigned books for every subject anymore.

I wonder when they'll just have schools adopt a subscription model with x licenses that stay updated and can be accessed via some student login portal. I'm going back for a Master's and all my textbooks are digital now.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

A lot of this is on publishers (at least where I'm from). Textbooks can be resold. Flashy workbooks with a digital counterpart need to be bought again yearly. More profit for the publishers, more costs for the parents.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My school switched to smart boards my senior year and it was a marked improvement. Every teacher who wasn't ancient preferred it over trying to gently caress around with the projector and transparencies.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powered Descent posted:

I mean, I did exactly this for a science fair presentation when I was in grade school in the 90s. But I was lucky that my dad's work had the printable transparencies to do that. I think it blew the minds of the various teachers judging though.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Actual no poo poo overhead projectors are so rare now I think they meant it as “a projector that is overhead”

Oh. that is what I meant, yeah

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, I did exactly this for a science fair presentation when I was in grade school in the 90s. But I was lucky that my dad's work had the printable transparencies to do that. I think it blew the minds of the various teachers judging though.

When I figured out how to make my own transparencies I became a golden god (at presentations at least).

It was a fun trick. The only real trick being sweet talking the librarian into giving you some printable transparency sheets for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
The best thing ever was when the overhead projector came with one of those reel-to-reel hand cranked spools and you could essentially rewind and play back your lessons in real time, except then it got really dark because you could tell immediately which classes needed you to draw more poo poo to help them get the point versus the classes where you never had to draw more than the basics

It got even worse when everyone switched to smartboards and it backed up every lesson, the lowest kb was always your best and brightest bunch