Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
joburg that is awful! all our animals seem to be having a particularly rough time of it. i'm not sure how it compares to the baseline level of death for a poultry thread, but it does seem like we are all wracked with catastrophe right now and i dearly hope that changes soon :h:

uncharacteristically, the beeplings are doing fine. quimmix is still known as quimmix; quimmex now goes by the nickname "scrubtit". i think scrubtit may be a little challenged, even by quail standards, but he doesn't let that get him down.

the adults have been kind to them. here is scrubtit in the outdoor cage having quality time with aunty friday, who is teaching them to do this sort of thing

the chicks are at a particularly annoying phase because their adult feathers are coming through. it's kind of like teething for a baby, they're noticeably crankier for a few days until the worst is over. currently they are screaming 24 hours a day. they take it in turns; quimmix screams all day and scrubtit screams all night, thus causing me exasperation out of all proportion to their size

perepelki fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

also i made some of them

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Good lord those are adorable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

perepelki posted:

also i made some of them

Ahh, I see your plan; If you make totems of them they can't die so long as the totems are undamaged! :pseudo:

(They're really nice).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

perepelki posted:

also i made some of them

Would buy.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

also i made some of them

:five:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

indeed, they are amazing :3:

:sympathy: and hugs to everyone dealing with sadness and death this weather :(

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

thank you friends :3: i am always afraid to do any artwork of the quail, because it's usually an omen of disaster. the painting in my avatar was half-finished when the rat attack robbed me of beloved felafel (and everybody else). more recently i started a new quail painting, called "migration", and two days after i began, the quimtuplets migrated out of my yard and my life. the sculptures are already spoken for as a birthday gift, so maybe that will change their magic? i hope so

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

mother moose has adopted the ghostly oberinos :neckbeard:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Your quail artwork is charming and I love it and your birds. Hopefully when you complete "Migration" only good things will happen to break the spell.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chaosfeather posted:

Your quail artwork is charming and I love it and your birds. Hopefully when you complete "Migration" only good things will happen to break the spell.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Not sure if this belongs in here or DIY, but:

I'm looking to build an add-on yard to my existing coop. Current coop's yard is built with 2x4s and 1/4 inch hardware cloth that extends and is buried as an apron, so I want to add something that looks the same and butt it up against the back of the current coop.

I'm not planning to put a roof on the add-on, just use hardware cloth over the top. Is there any reason to not save some money and weight and use 2x3s instead of 2x4s since the structure wont' be carrying the weight of a roof and a house, it will just be a 12x12 chicken jail that keeps critters out?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

Not sure if this belongs in here or DIY, but:

I'm looking to build an add-on yard to my existing coop. Current coop's yard is built with 2x4s and 1/4 inch hardware cloth that extends and is buried as an apron, so I want to add something that looks the same and butt it up against the back of the current coop.

I'm not planning to put a roof on the add-on, just use hardware cloth over the top. Is there any reason to not save some money and weight and use 2x3s instead of 2x4s since the structure wont' be carrying the weight of a roof and a house, it will just be a 12x12 chicken jail that keeps critters out?

I built my own coop, I see no reason not to go with cheaper / smaller wood for this. The only thing I would do is have your 2 corner posts furthest from your coop anchored into the ground somehow, maybe make them pretty long and pound them into the ground or anchor them with concrete so a bigger animal (thinking coyote or large racoon) couldn't somehow lift up from the end since your structure would be lighter than the coop and have no weight to keep it down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My coop is as secure as it's going to get, but I've been thinking about something similar--is there any reason not to just give a coop a hardware cloth "floor" and bury it?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
2x3s are quite strong you should be fine using them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

they know they're fabulous :swoon:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

such poise and they're still babies! they're going to be high maintenance :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The one on the right's clearly calculating how to jump out and go on Quail Adventures :ohdear:.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My chicks are growing in their wing feathers and a few have made it over the wall. I had to put the hardware cloth lid on for the first time yesterday. :henget:

https://youtu.be/S5X1Ewwj--4

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Joburg posted:

My chicks are growing in their wing feathers and a few have made it over the wall. I had to put the hardware cloth lid on for the first time yesterday. :henget:

https://youtu.be/S5X1Ewwj--4
omg they look so happy and healthy and full of life :kimchi:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The one on the right's clearly calculating how to jump out and go on Quail Adventures :ohdear:.

She was on the rim of the box when I came to check on them this morning. I have since taped the flaps up to make a taller box. It's probably only buying me a week.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
@LuckyCat, any news from the necropsy?

I got some results from my rabbit’s necropsy: hemorrhagic pneumonia. No results yet on the RHDV2 test. The colony is down to 6 from 12.

perepelki posted:

mother moose has adopted the ghostly oberinos :neckbeard:

That is amazing. She’s the Silkie of quaildom.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I took them outside so I could finally get a picture of them in good lighting.

Eclipse

Comet

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

I took them outside so I could finally get a picture of them in good lighting.

Eclipse

Comet

absolutely majestic :allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

omg they are adorable

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Even though Sapphire Jems are sexlinked, I'm paranoid one will be a rooster.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the twins are growing fast, yesterday i captured the exact moment they evolved from squeaky cherubs

into... some of those

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

moose is an angel of the LORD. i was worried about scrubtit (quimmex, not pictured) because they just seemed a bit delayed and needy and failing to thrive... but now that they have a large friend they've stopped screaming, doubled in size, and just appear so much happier. scrubtit slept under moose for the first time last night; quimmix (pictured) still sleeps under the brooder.

i introduced the chix to moose when they were just hatched and every day thereafter, but she only seemed interested in them when their first adult feathers appeared. she was the same with the quimtuplets. so we may yet develop a system where i raise them during the first few days, when they're really cute and really annoying (also the crucial period for imprinting), and then hand them over. but for now i have eight quail, which is the perfect number

happy holidays!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm saving up the white ones for Easter, but I think we will be eating some eggcentric meals this weekend.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Another newbie question:

For my coop add on, are the chickens going to care if its 3 feet tall vs 6 feet tall? Looking at the price of hardware cloth for a 12x12x7 cube and wondering if I can get away with the same square footage but only 3 feet high as a kind of skirt around their current coop.

Do chickens need vertical space, or just horizontal?

Nevermind, wife and daughters have declared that any extra space needs to be big enough for them to be in with the chickens.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 27, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
My chickens enjoy getting high up.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:cry:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

LOOK at all the quail in here lately! Too cute!

...but I think it's time for more chickens. As in CHICKAM! :derp:

I set 36 eggs in the incubator back on March 13th...

Tonight I candled the eggs...and out of 36 eggs, 26 have embryos--with two more that I wasn't 100% sure of due to the dark color of the shell, but I'm *pretty* sure there are chicks in there. Only 8 eggs were duds and never developed.
So we're right on track, and the hatch *should* be due on Saturday, April 3rd--but as usual, might be up up to 48 hours early, since those damned banty eggs LOVE to hatch early.

I'll post our usual thread in GBS when it starts, and notify everyone here, too. You can also follow @chickam2008 on Twitter--But as always, check our YouTube page starting Thursday, chicks LOVE to hatch up to 48 hours early! If you tune in and see EGGS, the hatch has begun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iMWhoO42w

Our roo boys, gettin' it DONE!
As in, Lordy, we're gonna be overrun with chicks. Y'all think up lots of names!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 28, 2021

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chickam :neckbeard:

Also:

https://twitter.com/sdlorman/status/1375271166198317057/photo/1

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Green eggs!

When I was a kid, my grandparents got their eggs from a local lady and there were always a few green eggs in every dozen, which was just mindblowingly awesome to me.

When I was thirteen I ended up in a nutrition class and we were talking about eggs, and eggs can be brown or white but both are nutritionally identical, and I put up my hand to share that sometimes chicken eggs can be green too! Because I'm eternally full of the need to share things I think are neat with people! Which explains half of my posting!

Anyway the teacher got really annoyed at me and accused me of lying and I'm not over it twenty five years later.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Chicken run we ordered from Amazon was supposed to be 3 boxes: A, B, and C. They sent us: A, A, and B. Contacted seller, they said they'd ship a C. That was last Saturday. Had tracking #, but didn't actually get picked up by FedEx until Wednesday. :-/ But then, estimated delivery Friday 3/26. OK, cool, right? Friday morning I notice box is still multiple states away. Have a sinking feeling. Friday comes and goes. Saturday morning it's in a city about a 3 hour drive away. Sweet! Today's the day! Nope. God dammit! By the end of the day yesterday it was IN my city, but the delivery status now just says "Pending". Gimme my poo poo!!

Sucks because this makes two beautiful weekends in a row where I went into them going, "Awesome, going to put together the run and get the chickens outside this weekend..." only to have my plans poo poo on.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 28, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hey man. At least it's not in Egypt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

These guys are 3 weeks old now. I'm going to have to move them to a bigger enclosure soon.