Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
BJs is all there is in my quaint little hometown and I've still never been inside. For some reason, as much as I love the 'co, BJs never even remotely tempted me. Does it indeed suck?

Also, one more hat in the "food court staff were rude to me recently" ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Propaganda Machine posted:

BJs is all there is in my quaint little hometown and I've still never been inside. For some reason, as much as I love the 'co, BJs never even remotely tempted me. Does it indeed suck?

Also, one more hat in the "food court staff were rude to me recently" ring.

last time I was at BJ’s I found it extremely similar to Costco, I think of all the costco-likes BJs is the one that tries to be the most like them (or maybe vice versa? Idk, both have been around for like four decades at this point, although Costco was first of course)

a lot of the stuff they stock is “same but different” or it’s their version of Kirkland or they have different available national brands of poo poo, etc

but then they also do have certain things that Costco doesn’t and the opposite is true. I used to have a friend get me bags of White Toque frozen chocolate-stuffed croissants at BJs

BJs often sends/gives out free trial memberships, you should go to the one in your town and maybe report back

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 25, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
BJs is fine. More name brand items if that's your thing and more options on certain products. So you're less likely to find some obscure diamond in the rough poo poo you've never heard of before and instead find things that are familiar to any grocery store. So for example, with diapers, at Costco you get Huggies or generic brand. At BJs you have your choice of Luvs, Pampers, or Huggies.

It's got a deli where you can get cold cuts so that's cool I guess.

When my kid was born I trialed BJs to check out the diapers and formula. I ended up not keeping it because Costco was closer, pampers on Amazon was the same price, and we had to change to a special formula that nobody carried anyway. I did walk out with a giant box of ring dings though so that was cool.

BJs didn't spark anything in me because I have a problem with impulse buying things that look cool and good. Costco scratches that itch nicely but BJs was immediately recognizable and therefore boring.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I also used to work there 12 years ago and I think back fondly on it, at a point in my life where I had no responsibilities, nothing to worry about, and a job where I could stand in place and turn my brain off for 8 hours.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

BeAuMaN posted:

Kind of like how there's (pre-COVID) two sets of mustard/deli mustard/ketchup/relish pump dispensers (though only one onion dispenser).

There are two onion dispensers at my Costco, but I'm yet to actually get onions out of them.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The caramel tres leche bar cake might be the best of their bar cakes I’ve tried.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp, picked up that Yardistry gazebo and a Lifetime deck box.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Ok Comboomer posted:

BJs often sends/gives out free trial memberships, you should go to the one in your town and maybe report back

I'll look into it when I go back this summer! I'm always looking for dumb ways to kill time out there.

This is also a very dumb question but the website isn't helping me; if I want a new spare tire, should I use the Costco tire center for it?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

norp posted:

There are two onion dispensers at my Costco, but I'm yet to actually get onions out of them.
Just keep spinning it, they'll come out any second now

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeAuMaN posted:

Because there's two soda fountain machines side by side, along with an additional completely separate ice dispenser machine.

We have the same syrup for two different soda fountains at the hospital I work at. They're separated by about 10 feet of floor space. The difference could be in the cleanliness of the spigot. Or the line as Paul MaudDib said. There could be separate bags for separate machines, but that seems unlikely *in my experience*, which does not make me an expert obviously.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I get to go to the costco today on someone else's dime and I don't even have a list for what to buy. They just told me to "get a bunch of good stuff" and handed me $$$ in an envelope. I feel like a costco mule and I'm down with it.

I'm gonna buy three rotisserie chickens just because I can.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

fizzymercury posted:

I get to go to the costco today on someone else's dime and I don't even have a list for what to buy. They just told me to "get a bunch of good stuff" and handed me $$$ in an envelope. I feel like a costco mule and I'm down with it.

I'm gonna buy three rotisserie chickens just because I can.

Get the jamon

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AWarmBody posted:

Get the jamon

I already bought 3 of those for various people for Christmas...but yeah actually they're on sale and them drat jamons come in handy for parties.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Most of SoCal Costco's are sitting on tons of Philip hue starter kit (3 bulbs + hub)for 69 dollars on clearance. Bought one, then bought a friend one, and going back for another one.

Couldn't find a 1:1 on amazon as their kits were like 4 bulbs+hub+button.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I wish they sold just the bulbs, I already have a hub and you can't use more than one of them.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
does the hue kit + hub work with apple homekit by chance? i already have a couple other various brand of smart devices hooked up to it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thathonkey posted:

does the hue kit + hub work with apple homekit by chance? i already have a couple other various brand of smart devices hooked up to it

yes, unlike Philips' new Wiz-based budget line which does not. Do not confuse the two, they are entirely separate and incompatible systems added to the Philips/Signify portfolio through separate corporate purchases.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Hue lights are good

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

poisonpill posted:

Hue lights are good

:same:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Folks losing ribs faster than Adam.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Quoth the Raven, $1.50 and free refill.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Knocked my glasses case out of my car at the pumps today. Nothing there when I went back so hopefully a faithful parishioner took them inside.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Went to the co today.

Bought 10 bags of dirt (on sale), which was l the limit but I still need more dirt. How do the LIMIT items work?

Can I go tomorrow and get more or will my account get flagged or something. Go to a different costco?? There are three in reasonable driving range

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its a limit per card member per day

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You know you can just buy a shovel and boom...free dirt forever.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Went to the co today.

Bought 10 bags of dirt (on sale), which was l the limit but I still need more dirt. How do the LIMIT items work?

Can I go tomorrow and get more or will my account get flagged or something. Go to a different costco?? There are three in reasonable driving range

I've been told by friendlier cashiers that they can't do more than the limit per transaction, but they wouldn't careif I put the stuff in the truck and came back in for another cartload. I've never tested it out though, so ... report back!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

El Jebus posted:

I've been told by friendlier cashiers that they can't do more than the limit per transaction, but they wouldn't careif I put the stuff in the truck and came back in for another cartload. I've never tested it out though, so ... report back!
This is explicitly against Costco policy although we can't stop you, you are being an rear end in a top hat if you do that though, limits only get placed on high demand low stock items, you gaming the system is depriving other members of goods they might need.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Dear citizens of Anchorage: Maybe don't have your car be 10 steps away from your cart.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

This is explicitly against Costco policy although we can't stop you, you are being an rear end in a top hat if you do that though, limits only get placed on high demand low stock items, you gaming the system is depriving other members of goods they might need.

I need that dirt or my family will die!

j/k those rules are in place for a reason and as a resident PlantGoon(TM) I’d be bummed if I needed topsoil ASAP for a project and couldn’t get it

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Or you get a yard of it from a landscape supply for under $50, dropped into your pickup like a chevy commercial from the 1990s.

That was enough to fill a raised bed about 4x8 and 10" deep.

Edit, roughly 16 50qt bags of that's what you got.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 28, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
that truck is incredible

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chinatown posted:

that truck is incredible

Thanks! I improved it somewhat, so I could get more bulk items obviously.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Unfortunately no truck, and delivery charge from landscaper suppliers around here is like $60, if they even answer their phone

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Never gets old seeing your IH StormDrain

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wow went to costco to get dirt and some rear end in a top hat had already bought all of it up. now im hosed

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

thathonkey posted:

wow went to costco to get dirt and some rear end in a top hat had already bought all of it up. now im hosed

I've still only bought the LIMIT 10 so it wasn't me :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

First video cards then consoles and now there is a dirt shortage??? What is this world coming to??

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Gaius Marius posted:

The only thing I have ever considered going back in for on the same day is the 2 packs of charcoal when it is on sale. But I still haven't. Just gotta be patient and go in multiple days and get lots of hot dogs and $5 chickens!

Halbey
Dec 9, 2009
I call the chicken bakes Chickin Stixx™ and that makes it taste better. Try that out next time everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

costcode more like costscrode