Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

dishwasherlove posted:

Pretty incredible someone has the .srt sorted out before the camrip has even leaked.

Do you have a link for those?

vvv much obliged! Doesn't seem like filez IMO.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

https://nyaa.si/view/1358272

Is this :filez:? eh

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I've been listening to the OST for the latest movie and holy poo poo this is a beautiful piece, but it reminds me of some other classical piece I just can't remember :psyduck: Anyone knows which one I'm talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2epSM1-Gq4w

EDIT: Realized it sounds a lot like a mix of a lot of Norwegian Christmas songs :v:

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 19, 2021

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

JazzFlight posted:

Well, I’m guessing maybe someone recorded the audio since that’s a lot easier to do with even your phone in your pocket which would allow translator groups to time all the lines perfectly and just wait for the video track to come in.

wouldn't you miss out on a lot of visual clues that would help in translating the audio though

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Siliziumleben posted:

wouldn't you miss out on a lot of visual clues that would help in translating the audio though

I would assume the translator watched the movie while they recorded it, but that's a good point.

Going to re-watch it tomorrow with the subs playing on my iPhone to pick up on parts I didn't quite understand.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
translated subtitles are out already because people managed to rip the official japanese subtitles from some cinema's app that had closed captions for the movies they were showing or something like that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siliziumleben posted:

Again, it was an app leaking, so all the subs were set up in the right spot from the jump. It was very convenient.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah that was an exciting opening night. Quite literally dumped and machine translated an hour or two before doors opened.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://hypebeast.com/2021/3/undercover-fall-winter-2021-collection-runway-show-evangelion-collaboration

quote:

UNDERCOVER‘s far-ranging collaborations with pop culture franchises has seen the long-running Japanese brand honor everything from Akira Kurosawa’s Throne of Blood to Stanley Kubrick’s estate and Public Enemy, to name merely a few past nods. As part of its expansive Fall/Winter 2021 collection — which also features Markus Akesson’s artwork — the Japanese brand is joining up with ultra-popular anime franchise Evangelion, serving up a variety of thematic apparel indebted to the heady, psychological mecha series.

Some of these designs are either pretty neat or really strange. So it perfectly captures the spirit of Evangelion!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I like the lillith sweater and the angel ones work well.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The puffy jackets would be awesome if they actually loving fit in the waist. How can you blow the obvious V silhouette of an Eva so badly?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There're some parts of the subtitles that have me wondering if they're completely accurate. Basically, that Near Third Impact is spoken of like it was worse than the Third Impact, and the characters talking about Fourth Impact like it hasn't happened, even though Kaworu, Misato, Ritsuko and Gendo all talk about the events of 3.33 during the film as Fourth Impact. Then again, I never got the idea that the Impacts in the films were like Gendo talks about them in Shin, as things that had to happen, signposts they had to pass. I mean, Near Third was absolutely against schedule and improvised, and Third seems to have involved an Angel...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ranzear posted:

The puffy jackets would be awesome if they actually loving fit in the waist. How can you blow the obvious V silhouette of an Eva so badly?

The white on the yellow Unit 00 and green on the 01 jackets draw the V silhouette, and the black on the arms of the 01 jacket sorta trick the mind into making it look slimmer than it actually is

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Archer666 posted:

https://hypebeast.com/2021/3/undercover-fall-winter-2021-collection-runway-show-evangelion-collaboration

Some of these designs are either pretty neat or really strange. So it perfectly captures the spirit of Evangelion!

As a kid I had a really nice puffy jacket that had kind of the same colour scheme as the Unit-01 coat: purple, black, and green. My parents payed like $100 for it, and me being an idiot 7 year old I left it on the playground at school and forgot it and and it was stolen and I never saw it again. Seeing that poor guy looking like he wants to will himself to die right there on the runway wearing that jacket is bringing back a lot of memories.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

The white on the yellow Unit 00 and green on the 01 jackets draw the V silhouette, and the black on the arms of the 01 jacket sorta trick the mind into making it look slimmer than it actually is

The whole show seems heinously averse to anyone having a tailored waistline. We must all be either frumpy rectangles or primary color vomit. I get that those are supposed to be a take on Michelin man coats but c'mon...

I should go revive my fashion thread and tear into them there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V781SKZJKyg

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AW YES TWO

remind me why people hate this episode again

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Augus posted:

AW YES TWO

People hate fun. Especially when they thought they were going to be made sad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

AW YES TWO

The Normal High School parts of it aren't a full season on their own, that's why I hate it :mad:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dunno how I feel about this. I doubt it'll really measure up to End of Evangelion, the biggest reason being that I was 14 when I first saw that, and I'm 35 now, so it's probably unreasonable to think that it'll somehow seem like a "better ending", even if technically is - which it probably isn't. Plus, the last Rebuild was like the Shinji/Kaworu OTP film - it was kinda like everything the 14-year-old kid in me would have wanted in an Evangelion movie. Gonna take me a while to work up to watching this :sigh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The Normal High School parts of it aren't a full season on their own, that's why I hate it :mad:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Fumoffu

You can even have the tsundere get together with the military otaku!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

nine-gear crow posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Fumoffu

You can even have the tsundere get together with the military otaku!

This basically already exists in multiple forms:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_Eva:_Evangelion@School

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion:_Angelic_Days

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah, I think "What if Eva was more regular high school romcom?" was also the first official spinoff (that wasn't (strip) mahjong) with the Girlfriend of Steel games.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

kaworu posted:

Dunno how I feel about this. I doubt it'll really measure up to End of Evangelion, the biggest reason being that I was 14 when I first saw that, and I'm 35 now, so it's probably unreasonable to think that it'll somehow seem like a "better ending", even if technically is - which it probably isn't. Plus, the last Rebuild was like the Shinji/Kaworu OTP film - it was kinda like everything the 14-year-old kid in me would have wanted in an Evangelion movie. Gonna take me a while to work up to watching this :sigh:

The following isn't an actual content spoiler and only sets expectations and talks about themes: It's strictly an ending to the Rebuild continuity and a general thematic goodbye to Evangelion as a whole and moving on.

Unrelated, I've actually been watching the original broadcast/Archives version while all this has been happening and it really makes me realise how old everyone sounds now. And how the Rebuilds, as fine as I actually think they are, are kinda weird Flanderizations of Evangelion. And in a way more conventional. But glad everything exists.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

imo end of evangelion pretty much perfectly nails the ending of the series but im happy for more eva, now i just need someone to camrip this thing

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well my copy of the soundtrack for 3.0+1.0 is on its way. With any luck it'll keep me going until the blu Ray comes out. I know that a western release is far off but who knows? Maybe the Asian blu Ray will have English subtitles again :v:.

Shifting gears, has anyone checked out the Shiro Sagisu Outtakes From Evangelion? I just discovered it's a thing and am curious to know if it's any good or just another in a sea of cash grabs. Haven't had time to check the full album but from what I can tell its alternate takes on some of the rebuild songs.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
At one point the whole "Outtakes" album was up on YouTube, from what I remember it was mostly demo tracks and a few oddities, like an instrumental version of a track that appeared on the old "Vox" album and a recording of the animation team singing Auld Lang Syne.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1376266147750797312
https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1376266404307955712
https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1376272031553966080

Well, this explains a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:lol::lol:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So what does that mean, that the new netflix dub is...what gainax intended?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean in the case of Netflix explicitly so, we already knew that based on everything that had come out about it and how hands on Khara wanted to be. That the same stunt was tried with ADV is a new but now very understandable revelation.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 28, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

As a heads up the newest official 3.0+1.0 trailers/MVs pull from the movie a lot more broadly, so watch out if you want to dodge as much as possible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Siegkrow posted:

So what does that mean, that the new netflix dub is...what gainax intended?

There's a long history of Japanese execs overseeing localization in other languages despite having poor or no understanding of that language.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tae posted:

There's a long history of Japanese execs overseeing localization in other languages despite having poor or no understanding of that language.

Yeah I actually feel silly for not realizing that this was going on sooner - it's such an obvious explanation for poo poo like the new dub calling Shinji "The Third Children" and whatnot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What a day

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I actually feel silly for not realizing that this was going on sooner - it's such an obvious explanation for poo poo like the new dub calling Shinji "The Third Children" and whatnot.

I'd heard this for a while now, that the Netflix dub script was a mandate from Studio Khara as a part of their aggressively asserting its control over the EVA IP as a result of its misinterpretation of the Anime Expo reaction to 3.33's original dub. Sounds like they were able to bend Netflix over the barrel and force them to use the scripts that ADV Films had the leeway to reject 25 years ago. Amanda Lee Winn just finally confirmed it.

Man, this is not filling me with a lot of hope for how the 3.0+1.0 dub is gonna turn out. Is it even still in Funimation's hands at this point?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Motto posted:

As a heads up the newest official 3.0+1.0 trailers/MVs pull from the movie a lot more broadly, so watch out if you want to dodge as much as possible.

yeah, this is true. but boy, some of those visuals are fantastic and it's clear that whatever we've heard about this film, there's a lot of stuff that people haven't conveyed based just on these shots alone.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, I had to stop clocking them because as cool as they looked it seemed like it was showing stuff from like the end of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, this is not filling me with a lot of hope for how the 3.0+1.0 dub is gonna turn out. Is it even still in Funimation's hands at this point?

I doubt Netflix cared enough to push back, but since funimation got the 3 do over put on them (3.33.1?) it's a near certainty that whoever does this one will get a Khara micromanaged translation.