Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://aeropress.com/championships/wac-recipes/

Really jealous that that the aeropress championships has recipes listed on 1 site, and you need to dig for the WBC ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

AndrewP posted:

I just got an Aeropress. Who's got the good techniquez?

I tried the "2019 Aeropress champion" recipe this morning (30mg of coffee, 100mg of water, stir vigorously, flip and plunge @ :40 seconds, add another 120 mg of water). Thought it seemed weak, which makes sense considering it doesn't brew very long, but people seem to swear by it.

Tried again with a more basic approach - 18mg of coffee, pour in some water and stir a few times, slowly pour in more water to the top, flip and plunge at about 1:30. Much stronger.

I do this as a non-inverted (standard recipe)

- Cap Aeropress with two filters and wet them
- 15 g coffee grounds in, ground significantly finer than pour-over
- Pour 240g boiling water very quickly and cap with plunger (do not plunge though)
- At 1:00, give the Aeropress a classic "Rao spin" and plunge for 35-45 seconds

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tried a few different things this morning and the best one was inverted - 14mg coffee, 200ml water, 1:00 brew time.

When I did it the traditional way it seemed like too much water was getting into the cup before I had a chance to put the plunger in to stop it. Inverted just gives a little more control in that respect.

Also I don't really know what I'm going for in terms of the taste, I just know that the first two I tried traditional seemed too acidic (I think). Like bitter on the top end. Hard to explain.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 26, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Maybe it's not ideal, but I had fun playing around with an Aeropress recipe randomizer that I think was inspired by some dice Hoffman put together. Some cups were better than others, but none were outright terrible at least. Looking back I should have taken notes and compared my experience with recipes to try and identify how each combination changed things up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tried a few different coffees in an aeropress today, 20g coffee:100g water, 2 minutes inverted, press over 100g ice

extremely good and delicious, i hadn't done any of this bright fruity stuff immediately over ice before and it's fantastic. also barely takes any time at all compared to the Clever i've been using for most of these batches

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 26, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why do I just immediately assume this is Norm MacDonald

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sugar free jazz posted:

calmly and without any embarrassment explaining to the officer that it's a coffee brewer that fits my busy, adventurous lifestyle

ama about taking my porlex hand grinder through customs in my carry-on

“Oh this metal cylinder? Totally not a bomb, it’s for coffee”

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
This has been non stop on a private server

[]

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If I ever see someone with a bripe I'm gonna hate them because I ain't them

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
For espresso, is decaf coffee typically harder to extract than regular coffee? I drink regular and the wife drinks decaf, and it seems like I have a much easier time dialing in compared to her. Seems like she gets consistently under-extracted shots at much finer grind settings. We have a Niche Zero and for me it seems like I get decent results with most coffees somewhere between 17-20, but for her going down to 12-13 still results in sour under-extracted stuff. Have tried with a medium roast before, and now with a dark roast and she's still having the same issue. Watched her puck prep and tried to give some pointers there but didn't see anything grossly wrong.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chu020 posted:

For espresso, is decaf coffee typically harder to extract than regular coffee? I drink regular and the wife drinks decaf, and it seems like I have a much easier time dialing in compared to her. Seems like she gets consistently under-extracted shots at much finer grind settings. We have a Niche Zero and for me it seems like I get decent results with most coffees somewhere between 17-20, but for her going down to 12-13 still results in sour under-extracted stuff. Have tried with a medium roast before, and now with a dark roast and she's still having the same issue. Watched her puck prep and tried to give some pointers there but didn't see anything grossly wrong.

lmao i can only imagine trying to tell my spouse they’re preparing coffee wrong

with that said it’s not something i’ve particularly noticed but it’s going to depend on bean and roast. some decafs are just never going to taste right imo because you’re just missing on some of the flavour compounds. others are often overroasted as roasters think that going super dark is how to get more flavour into their decaf blends.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Imagined posted:

Any Oklahomans in the thread recommend a local roaster?

In the last two weeks I've gone from "I like the smell of coffee but not the taste"* to trying it with a standard cheap Mr. Coffee and canned grounds, to buying an electric burr grinder and kettle, having a Bodum pour-over (with permanent filter), Clever Coffee Dripper, and Aeropress. Think Mom is getting me an Oxo drip machine for my birthday, so I'll have the whole arsenal if I get a french press too. So far I think I'd rank them Clever > pour-over > Aeropress > Mr. Coffee. The Aeropress tastes fine but doesn't make enough coffee at once to be worth the hassle to me, yet. Maybe on lazy Sundays or something. The Clever is just so foolproof and makes a perfect cup every time that barely needs any cream or sweetener. Honestly they're all good, even the Mr. Coffee if you just want lots of coffee without standing at the counter for 5 minutes. I realized the truth that the beans make the real difference after I tried the canned grounds again after having some of my own grind.

So far though I've only tried Pete's Big Bang, and the "Great Value" (Wal-Mart store brand) Ethiopian and Columbian "single origin organic whole beans". I picked up some bulk Hawaiian and "French Roast" beans from Sprouts, too, but haven't tried those yet.

But now I want to try getting some beans where I know the sources and the dates involved, so I'm looking for a local roaster.

*It's interesting to me how closely this parallels dark beer, which I've always loved, where bad/cheap stuff is bitter and gross while the good stuff is rich and delicious. I don't know how I didn't make the connection before.

Doubleshot, Cirque and FairFellow are all based in Tulsa and do great beans. Doubleshot’s location is beautiful and their beans are the best IMO.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Imagined posted:

Any Oklahomans in the thread recommend a local roaster?

In the last two weeks I've gone from "I like the smell of coffee but not the taste"* to trying it with a standard cheap Mr. Coffee and canned grounds, to buying an electric burr grinder and kettle, having a Bodum pour-over (with permanent filter), Clever Coffee Dripper, and Aeropress. Think Mom is getting me an Oxo drip machine for my birthday, so I'll have the whole arsenal if I get a french press too. So far I think I'd rank them Clever > pour-over > Aeropress > Mr. Coffee. The Aeropress tastes fine but doesn't make enough coffee at once to be worth the hassle to me, yet. Maybe on lazy Sundays or something. The Clever is just so foolproof and makes a perfect cup every time that barely needs any cream or sweetener. Honestly they're all good, even the Mr. Coffee if you just want lots of coffee without standing at the counter for 5 minutes. I realized the truth that the beans make the real difference after I tried the canned grounds again after having some of my own grind.

So far though I've only tried Pete's Big Bang, and the "Great Value" (Wal-Mart store brand) Ethiopian and Columbian "single origin organic whole beans". I picked up some bulk Hawaiian and "French Roast" beans from Sprouts, too, but haven't tried those yet.

But now I want to try getting some beans where I know the sources and the dates involved, so I'm looking for a local roaster.

*It's interesting to me how closely this parallels dark beer, which I've always loved, where bad/cheap stuff is bitter and gross while the good stuff is rich and delicious. I don't know how I didn't make the connection before.

A bit late, but in OKC I really like https://www.claritycoffee.com/. The crew there is very helpful and they love talking about coffee. They use and sell coffee from https://kllrcoffee.com/ which is a roaster in OKC that doesn't have a storefront as far as I know.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I wound up buying a Bripe because all my friends and family told me it was dumb and bad

joke's on them, i love bad and dumb things

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

I wound up buying a Bripe because all my friends and family told me it was dumb and bad

If that’s the case... I have some artisanal water that I will jar up and send you for $100 a bottle. No it’s not just my tap water, why do you ask?

Post a trip report when you get the thing. I love dumb things too, but not this one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

lmao cant wait for the review

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Well it seems you cannot get any chemex filter papers without spending 300% above RRP to import them in to the UK via Amazon.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is the Baratza Encore still considered the minimum choice for a "real" electric burr grinder? I bought a $60 Mueller off Amazon and while I'm not unhappy with the coffee it produces, I haven't found a single way to use it without coating a six foot radius around it in coffee grounds every. Single. Time. Even if I stand there and hold the basket up as high against it as it will go with my hand and then slap the hell out of it to get all the grounds out before removing it. I've read that that's to do with cheap plastic developing a static charge.

I didn't want to drop $130 right away because I wasn't sure I'd end up drinking coffee every day, or be able to tell the difference in grinder settings, but I do and I can.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 28, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

Is the Baratza Encore still considered the minimum choice for a "real" electric burr grinder? I bought a $60 Mueller off Amazon and while I'm not unhappy with the coffee it produces, I haven't found a single way to use it without coating a six foot radius around it in coffee grounds every. Single. Time. Even if I stand there and hold the basket up as high against it as it will go with my hand and then slap the hell out of it to get all the grounds out before removing it.

sort of depends on what most of your use cases are. if you aren’t doing espresso it should be fine (which is not to say it can’t do espresso but it isn’t the best choice).

i am not really familiar with this grinder you have, is it this one? https://www.amazon.ca/Mueller-Ultra-Grind-Professional-Innovative-PowderBlock/dp/B0833F31MS

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

mediaphage posted:

sort of depends on what most of your use cases are. if you aren’t doing espresso it should be fine (which is not to say it can’t do espresso but it isn’t the best choice).

i am not really familiar with this grinder you have, is it this one? https://www.amazon.ca/Mueller-Ultra-Grind-Professional-Innovative-PowderBlock/dp/B0833F31MS

No espresso or plans to get an espresso rig at home anytime soon.

That looks like the one I got. Here's the us link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0833F31MS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z6BBVRSM3SWD1R2SCH3Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Imagined posted:

Is the Baratza Encore still considered the minimum choice for a "real" electric burr grinder? I bought a $60 Mueller off Amazon and while I'm not unhappy with the coffee it produces, I haven't found a single way to use it without coating a six foot radius around it in coffee grounds every. Single. Time. Even if I stand there and hold the basket up as high against it as it will go with my hand and then slap the hell out of it to get all the grounds out before removing it. I've read that that's to do with cheap plastic developing a static charge.

I didn't want to drop $130 right away because I wasn't sure I'd end up drinking coffee every day, or be able to tell the difference in grinder settings, but I do and I can.

If static is your only issue I've heard of people adding a drop or two of water to the beans before grinding. Haven't done it myself, but people in this thread have reported good results.

If you decide you want an Encore you can keep an eye on their refurbished section. They're $99 and good as new.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Imagined posted:

Is the Baratza Encore still considered the minimum choice for a "real" electric burr grinder?

Yes

It does a good job containing static, but still benefits from a drop of water in the beans if you’re single dosing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

so with dry process coffees, when you start to get more red wine/raisin/plum flavors, is that because the fruit's gone longer into fermentation than 'cleaner' ones, or is it just different varietals/terroir?

i got several different ones and the ethiopians (halo bariti, bekele halo) are super clean fruit/floral, while the other two (uganda sipi falls, burundi kayanza) have more wine/raisin/etc. the latter is still really nice tasting, just very clearly different

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 28, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eke out posted:

so with dry process coffees, when you start to get more red wine/raisin/plum flavors, is that because the fruit's gone longer into fermentation than 'cleaner' ones, or is it just different varietals/terroir?

i got several different ones and the ethiopians (halo bariti, bekele halo) are super clean fruit/floral, while the other two (uganda sipi falls, burundi kayanza) have more wine/raisin/etc. the latter is still really nice tasting, just very clearly different

imo it’s a combination. i find it is pretty difficult to group flavours by country unless it’s a small area with a uniform coffee growing region. there’s just too much variety in strain and process

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Question for Technivorm Moccamaster owners- I just picked up the 10-cup KBG model under the wrong impression that the half-moon/full moon switch at the bottom was to adjust for pot size, when really it's just carafe temp. No basket adjuster switch, since I didn't think I'd need it.

We make mostly 6 or 4-cup pots, will this thing be able to brew good batches at that size without any mothering/fiddling?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

Question for Technivorm Moccamaster owners- I just picked up the 10-cup KBG model under the wrong impression that the half-moon/full moon switch at the bottom was to adjust for pot size, when really it's just carafe temp. No basket adjuster switch, since I didn't think I'd need it.

We make mostly 6 or 4-cup pots, will this thing be able to brew good batches at that size without any mothering/fiddling?

I believe that’s the model I have, though I might confuse some of their models. 1.25 L, glass carafe, square tower, auto drip control.

When I checked that switch at time of purchase (2019) I had the same conclusion you reached: carafe temp only.

I had some reason to check it again recently and stumbled into documentation for a newer model, and it sounded like newer models might also use that somewhat for water flow control? Unsure

I almost always brew around 45g of coffee against somewhere between 750-1000 mL of water, on the finer side of fine-medium. I’ve been perfectly happy with the results.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Remy Marathe posted:

I converted my KB into a KBG (see details in this thread, if you want--you could convert it the other way, I'm pretty sure) because the basket adjuster is not as useful as you might think. I usually make 6-cup pots (750mL, from 44g coffee) in mine, and they come out great.

You won't have to fiddle unless you want to really try to optimize flavor, pour-over style. Wildly different batch sizes (like 2/4 cups vs. 8/10 cups) will want different grind sizes to achieve optimal flow rates given differing masses of grounds, but if you're always brewing a similar size pot you can just find the setting that you like and leave it there (or only adjust it as much as you would for different bags of beans anyway).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mediaphage posted:

imo it’s a combination. i find it is pretty difficult to group flavours by country unless it’s a small area with a uniform coffee growing region. there’s just too much variety in strain and process

yeah makes sense, there's so many confounding factors (especially when you get lots from a bunch of different farmers that might then also be harvesting different varietals themselves) it's hard to point to any one thing

i finished getting my sr540 + ext tube + thermocouples set up and i'm just pleased i can pretty reliably make nice fruity city roasts that aren't sour. now i'm going to move on to my "obsessing about my Artisan graphs" phase for the next several months

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Nuurd posted:

I almost always brew around 45g of coffee against somewhere between 750-1000 mL of water, on the finer side of fine-medium. I’ve been perfectly happy with the results.

Scythe posted:

You won't have to fiddle unless you want to really try to optimize flavor, pour-over style. Wildly different batch sizes (like 2/4 cups vs. 8/10 cups) will want different grind sizes to achieve optimal flow rates given differing masses of grounds, but if you're always brewing a similar size pot you can just find the setting that you like and leave it there (or only adjust it as much as you would for different bags of beans anyway).

Thanks both, I'll give this thing a shot then. I've been happily using a linear formula with our Cuisinart and relying on the "1-4" switch to strengthen the smaller batches, but wasn't really sure what specific magic that switch performed, if I can do the same with a finer grind that's no big deal. Also just realized I'm going from 5oz "cups" to 4oz with the Technivorm, so really our old 4-6 "cup" pots are in the top half of its expected range.

I figured out where I went wrong with my research regarding the switch, I was looking at the "KBG Select" on their website which has a carafe size switch in that location (but the icon labels are a carafe rather than a circle).

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 28, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Well it seems you cannot get any chemex filter papers without spending 300% above RRP to import them in to the UK via Amazon.

Last time I went to reorder filters for my v60 they were pretty heavily inflated but as not as much as the chemex. The cloth filters were pretty normally priced though so I went with those.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Last time I went to reorder filters for my v60 they were pretty heavily inflated but as not as much as the chemex. The cloth filters were pretty normally priced though so I went with those.

Not a chance I'm paying £30 for a products that's normally under £10, just reverted back to a spare v60 I have and filters. I'm not sure on the cloth filters either.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, toy have to really hunt around amazon sellers right now to find v60 filters for less than $10, and no brick and mortar stores near me carry them

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try using the Hario 01 filters. It's smaller but it can still fit almost 30g of coffee. Here's 300 for $15.

https://www.amazon.com/100-Count-Coffee-Filters-3-Pack-Sheets/dp/B077PQGTMC/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=v60+filter&qid=1616975469&sr=8-10

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Hell yeah, thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess I assumed the angle was different but intellectually I know that that's not true due to Geometry

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, toy have to really hunt around amazon sellers right now to find v60 filters for less than $10, and no brick and mortar stores near me carry them

Just buy it from Hario directly? They even sell the superior(?) non-tabbed filters.

https://www.hario-usa.com/collections/filters

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

gret posted:

Just buy it from Hario directly? They even sell the superior(?) non-tabbed kissing lovebird filters.

https://www.hario-usa.com/collections/filters

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Wow, I'm finding out a ton of different ways I'm dumb in this thread today

I actually find the the Japanese tabbed filters aren't THAT much worse than the untabbed, but I was also paying a lot more to get 40 untabbed than I was to get 100 tabbed at the time

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hello, thread. I have an Izzo MyWay Vivi PID II espresso machine. As per tradition, the steam arm is on the right. Due to the way it's placed in my kitchen, I would really, really like the steam arm on the left. Ideally, steam and water would be swapped, but if water dies in the process, so be it.

My machine looks like this:

I've notice that the fourth generation has the steam and water swapped:

Inside the machine there are two hardlines running from the boiler to the steam/water. I'm curious if this would be an easy conversion if I could get my hands on the parts from the fourth gen.

Does anyone have a picture of the innards of the fourth gen?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Not sure I'm sticking with the Aeropress. I like one big cup of coffee in the morning and this yields such a small amount. On the weekend I ended up having to do the process four times for me and my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I had the same thought re:Aeropress (also about owning my own espresso machine): all that... for this tiny little drop of coffee? I mean I only became a coffee drinker this month but I pretty much always polish off a 60 ounce travel canteen before lunch. Ain't nobody got time for a fussy method that only yields a single (admittedly great) cup.

For weekends or when time isn't an issue I prefer the Clever Dripper anyways.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 29, 2021