Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Is there any reasoning preventing the Founder being used to implant false memories? It would be the cop out to end all cop outs (and make 35ish chapters feel wasted), but could have Eren and Zeke had actually touched when he visited him at the hospital and everything after that point was some false scenario implanted by Eren to unite all the Eldians? I don't know that you could do an rear end pull twist like that in one chapter, but there's seemingly nothing technically preventing that, right? I mean if the Founder is connected to all Eldians via paths, and can re-write their DNA to not be susceptible to a pandemic and can erase memories, why couldn't they also create a false reality for them that they can then rewind to show was fake? I'm not sure what that exactly gains Eren, but it could theoretically get all the Eldians on the same side, without a global genocide also having happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's nothing preventing that, but there's also nothing preventing rear end-pulling any number of new PATHS powers. You really have to go with what's most narratively likely rather than what's theoretically possible.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Remember that the Reiss regime used memory modification to help impose the very social control that Eren has spent the entire series loathing. For all his flaws and hypocrisies, I can't see him using that same technique on the Eldians.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Remember that the Reiss regime used memory modification to help impose the very social control that Eren has spent the entire series loathing. For all his flaws and hypocrisies, I can't see him using that same technique on the Eldians.
How does transforming dozens of Eldians into titans via spinal fluid interact with his morals of control?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it was worm

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
and then he woke up! it had all been PATHS

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Teek posted:

Is there any reasoning preventing the Founder being used to implant false memories? It would be the cop out to end all cop outs (and make 35ish chapters feel wasted), but could have Eren and Zeke had actually touched when he visited him at the hospital and everything after that point was some false scenario implanted by Eren to unite all the Eldians? I don't know that you could do an rear end pull twist like that in one chapter, but there's seemingly nothing technically preventing that, right? I mean if the Founder is connected to all Eldians via paths, and can re-write their DNA to not be susceptible to a pandemic and can erase memories, why couldn't they also create a false reality for them that they can then rewind to show was fake? I'm not sure what that exactly gains Eren, but it could theoretically get all the Eldians on the same side, without a global genocide also having happened.

I mean sure, that works for Eldians, but does nothing to solve the issue of the entire rest of the world wanting to wipe them out

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

DaveKap posted:

Man I... really wish they didn't go with rap music for that one part. Like, it even had the operatic in the background, they could've just... not had the rapper and that music would've fit much better.

The composer constantly uses that rapper and it runs the gamut of being awkward or rad as hell. This time it reminded me of his work on Xenoblade X and that OST slaps.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

The composer constantly uses that rapper and it runs the gamut of being awkward or rad as hell. This time it reminded me of his work on Xenoblade X and that OST slaps.

It's also Kenny's theme, which fits with Levi's current role as a state sanctioned killer planning to use a Yeager to advance the government's agenda.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

mightygerm posted:

I mean sure, that works for Eldians, but does nothing to solve the issue of the entire rest of the world wanting to wipe them out

Yeah, the only thing I could think was that Willy obviously has an in with a lot of nations, so the Tyburs could handle the Marley side of things. Essentially Willy would have gotten to see the Rumbling threat in action and thus be driven to achieve a peace.

It’s still obviously a dumb idea, was mainly just me wondering if there’s a way he could walk back the heel turn based upon established events.

Teek fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 24, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Vanderdeath posted:

Xenoblade X's OST does indeed slap but that's because it slaps from the start, not spend 35 hours with awesome operatic and orchestrals, then decide to throw in a rap. That's my big beef here. Folks were worried about Mappa changing stuff and I've had very little to complain about so far but if you're suddenly gonna change the music style when the entire rest of the series was already thematically set, it just feels like an extreme stretch.

It doesn't help that I watched Naruto all the way through to Shippuden (which was an action oriented anime that was heavy on good rap music) so my reaction to the rap was immediately "oh no I'm watching Naruto again?!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Xenoblade X's OST does indeed slap but that's because it slaps from the start, not spend 35 hours with awesome operatic and orchestrals, then decide to throw in a rap. That's my big beef here. Folks were worried about Mappa changing stuff and I've had very little to complain about so far but if you're suddenly gonna change the music style when the entire rest of the series was already thematically set, it just feels like an extreme stretch.

It doesn't help that I watched Naruto all the way through to Shippuden (which was an action oriented anime that was heavy on good rap music) so my reaction to the rap was immediately "oh no I'm watching Naruto again?!"

It's not new, though.

That's K21, Kenny's theme. It's from the first half of the third season, so it's reasonably well established at this point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Man my brain must be absolute *mush* cuz I don't recall ever associating rap music with big titan fights.

I'm going to blame my disassociation with thinking Kenny was not an interesting character who was not in an interesting plot.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The fight even has Levi copying Kenny's trick of dropping debris to distract the enemy.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

Man I... really wish they didn't go with rap music for that one part. Like, it even had the operatic in the background, they could've just... not had the rapper and that music would've fit much better.

Sounds like somebody doesn't want to libera the eldians from hell

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Too bad you didn't catch the awesome fan made manga simulcast videos that hit YouTube for days before getting flagged for copyright.
They did that scene without a rap track you see

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

lol I disliked the music choice but I didn't dislike it that much.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/kendrictonn/status/1375166777945034753?s=20

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's an Evangelion joke but it's still good. Have these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9RGdBf2lY

Looking forward to that last one getting a good edit.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 26, 2021

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Next episode after today's episode will be in Winter 2022.

https://twitter.com/nhk_animeworld/status/1376195933260685320

Edit: Trailer for it is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0sL9asAgWc

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wow that’s very far away

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Youtube comments reminded me

quote:

For those who are confused with the release date:

In anime "Winter seasons" means the months of January to March, so in this case we will get Season 4 part 2 in around January-March of 2022

about what I was expecting

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I don't watch the anime, it shaping up to end with the walls breaking? That'll be a fun few days on the internet.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Aurubin posted:

I don't watch the anime, it shaping up to end with the walls breaking? That'll be a fun few days on the internet.

If you mean part 1, its already over. It ended with Reiner & co showing up in Shinganshina.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

mightygerm posted:

If you mean part 1, its already over. It ended with Reiner & co showing up in Shinganshina.

Oh, bummer. Was hoping the cliff hanger would be Eren going turbo-Hitler.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Getting the headshot would have been way better.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The headshot wouldn't really be good as the (basically) season ending cliffhanger. Like, it'd be funny but it's something that is resolved so quickly it'd feel extremely cheap to have to wait nearly a year for that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm fine with waiting 9 months to get the next/final 16 episodes of the story considering people thought they were going to make it into a movie instead.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only a week left until the whole series ends. Good timing to end the anime here for now so people don’t get flooded with spoilers looking at reaction videos or whatever.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I liked this season and think Mappa has been doing a good job but it's hard to care when the manga ending is right there

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

has the last chapter page count been confirmed?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I read it’s gonna be 45 pages somewhere

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I heard that too but they didn't give a source so

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

has the last chapter page count been confirmed?

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1367388553181720587

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1368097173938704384

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like it should take at least 100 pages to close up all the dangling plot threads and give a satisfactory epilogue to the surviving characters.

And half of those pages should be dedicated to Hitch.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The other half should be dedicated to Pieck.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Since we'll be lacking AoT material after next week, I was curious: Are the OVAs worth watching at all or are they mostly filler junk?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
That was a rude cliff hanger.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DaveKap posted:

Since we'll be lacking AoT material after next week, I was curious: Are the OVAs worth watching at all or are they mostly filler junk?

Illse's Notebook
No Regrets p1 & p2
Wall Sheena, Goodbye p1 & p2

These are all a good watch. The rest is nonsensical filler & gags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Frionnel posted:

That was a rude cliff hanger.

I mean, that's the least rude of the cliffhangers they had available.