Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Yeah, but it looked cool as hell.

First movie that accurately captured comics on screen. I was amazed at 8am that morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jimbot posted:

Rewatch done. Liked it even better the second time, as I said before. The epilogue stuff after Lex and Deathstroke's feels tacked on, because it was, but I do appreciate how Snyder just threw everything in there. I really do hope we get a sequel to tie everything off with a nice bow. I want more of this Superman who completed is personal journey and what kind of tales you can tell with him.

I really do think more than anything with WB ditching all of this, I cannot loving believe them not just dumping trucks of money on Cavill every day to get more Superman out of him. Absolute great casting and I love this version of the character.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darko posted:

He phased through it which is another B.S. Flash is broken power.

Flash is quite literally a speed wizard who makes Superman's power seem finite.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Flash is quite literally a speed wizard who makes Superman's power seem finite.

From Johns' Flash run

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's something I noticed: that the two younger league members transcend the two titular guys from the last movie in very particular, fundamental ways: Batman has a huge amount of past trauma to deal with, And Superman gets blindsided and makes mistakes, while the flash can literally rewrite the past and create a new future. Superman can help individuals but can't break the systems that created those situations, Cyborg can. Batman's rich, Cyborg can literally create or destroy money on a whim.

It's a nice dovetail between the limitations we've seen of these characters and what the new characters bring to the table.

I finally watched it. Me and the wife sat down and watched it all in one go and holy poo poo. It loving ruled. There's a quote from a review of one of the Transformers movies I've always remembered: "It's the most movie I've ever seen" and that was on full display here. It's four hours but it's so goddamn dense.

The especially ridiculous aspect of WB's actions is how it seemed to be built to be cut down without losing much. It was great to see Cyborg's backstory and let everyone breath, but it relies on imagery so much that you probably could have cut it in half or more, and still gotten everything: the triumph of the game, the empty seat, the pained moment in the car, the headlights, and the hospital. It would have been perfectly clear and still a great scene. As it is, it was lovely just to let stuff like that play out in full, but Snyder did it in such a way that you could have gotten a really good 3 hour cut out of it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I really do think more than anything with WB ditching all of this, I cannot loving believe them not just dumping trucks of money on Cavill every day to get more Superman out of him. Absolute great casting and I love this version of the character.

Yeah, it's so good. My previous post was gushing over all his scenes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A lot of epilogue critiques I've seen have focused on the apocalypse & Lex bits, but I really think the Martian Manhunter bit is a real waste of a shapeshifting hero. I feel like you could do a lot more with their meetup than floating down and saying "hey i'm inspired, let me help".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neurolimal posted:

A lot of epilogue critiques I've seen have focused on the apocalypse & Lex bits, but I really think the Martian Manhunter bit is a real waste of a shapeshifting hero. I feel like you could do a lot more with their meetup than floating down and saying "hey i'm inspired, let me help".

A lot of people misinterpret this scene.

Martian Manhunter wasn't meeting Bruce Wayne. He was meeting Ben Affleck, who had just woke up from a nightmare of an apocalyptic future where he was still in these movies.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

It's four hours but it's so goddamn dense.

Would you say that it rhymes? Like, I dunno, a sonnet or a verse? Maybe a stanza?

But yeah thats a good point about SuperBats and CyborgFlash.
Bruce is very much part of the system that causes these inequalities (he owns the bank) while Victor very pointedly is a victim of it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Martian Manhunter wasn't meeting Bruce Wayne. He was meeting Ben Affleck, who had just woke up from a nightmare of an apocalyptic future where he was still in these movies.

His parents are alive tho

It took me a small amount of googling to confirm this though so maybe MM was a little confused

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did I say Ben Affleck? I meant Ben Affleck's character from Blank Check

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Where’s my Jay and Silent Bob show up at Battfleck’s manor scene, Snyder?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gatts posted:

Where’s my Jay and Silent Bob show up at Battfleck’s manor scene, Snyder?

They showed up in character in the Arrowverse fairly recently. Since DCEU Flash showed up on Arrowverse Flash, Jay and Silent Bob are in the DC live action multiverse. We just need Flash to help them hop universes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

2house2fly posted:

it just occurred to me that Barry Allen outruns an explosion by running towards it
That's the kind of amazing bullshit that deserves to be added to the infamous GOES FAST txt

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I hated the epilogue in general but this part more than anything. At least Marvel's surprise character sequel bait is kept to a 15 second stinger after the credits. For non comic readers the martian manhunter scene was 5 minutes of "who the gently caress" mixed with "I don't care" with a dash of "oh god why isn't the movie over yet". This type of sequel bait is just obnoxious, doubly so since it's a sequel that will never be made.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Yeah, you're not supposed to. What a weird rear end reading of that scene, lol. Clearly Diana thinks it's cute/amusing that Alfred believes his/Bruce's gauntlet design is unique and original lol. I don't know how or why anyone would read the VERY obvious text any other way.
You can be annoyed by something and find it amusing. I'm not saying she hates them and wants to kill them. It's the equivalent of the "I work with children" line in terms of tone, but actually clever and good.

The joke is the Butler who previously (Or maybe after, forget when it happens in the move, it happens right before right?) explained to the centuries old Goddess of Truth how to make tea is explaining to her how gauntlets like her own work and that it was Bruce Wayne's idea. So, she makes a pithy sarcastic comment. And it's funny because it's rooted in an experience that people can relate to instead of Diana just groaning at her silly super-boys.

I really can't see anything but Diana just wanting her loving tea in this scene.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 29, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's because the Brits are such prigs that they'll literally teasplain a proper cup to someone old enough to predate tea as a concept. :cheersdoge:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

That's because the Brits are such prigs that they'll literally teasplain a proper cup to someone old enough to predate tea as a concept. :cheersdoge:
She doesn't even put tea in the cup right? Like he's trying to trick her into not putting in the tea so he can just make it?

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
meh, I bet the tea on Themyscira sucks compared to a fresh pot of English Breakfast

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Doesn't turn out well for Joss because what he decided needed to be in the movie is pretty much as bad as the stuff he decided didn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1gOcYLlg0

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Timeless Appeal posted:

You can be annoyed by something and find it amusing. I'm not saying she hates them and wants to kill them. It's the equivalent of the "I work with children" line in terms of tone, but actually clever and good.

I see what you're saying, but I don't read annoyance at all. It comes off more to me as a cute exchange.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i haven't seen Whedon's version so this just seems like a blooper reel or a very high budget SNL sketch

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Hey now

SNL writers aren't THAT bad

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I like that alfred is both playing host and sidekick here. He's so used to doing everything for Bruce, it's killing him to not to take the tea out of her hands. And the lovely punchline is that he does finish making the tea for her.

I feel Diana though. Learning that you have to have a kettle and a teapot was mind blowing. I'm just used to throwing my leaves in water.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bushisms.txt posted:

I like that alfred is both playing host and sidekick here. He's so used to doing everything for Bruce, it's killing him to not to take the tea out of her hands. And the lovely punchline is that he does finish making the tea for her.

I feel Diana though. Learning that you have to have a kettle and a teapot was mind blowing. I'm just used to throwing my leaves in water.

Yeah, that's just old school hospitality. (something Diana should probably also be familiar with)

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Aside from hospitality it’s obviously because Al senses her horning in on his boy and is acting out

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The real problem with that scene is that Diana isn't making a nice chunky glass of kykeon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alfred interacting with the Justice League is just always hilarious.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The climax of the movie, of course, is The Flash running so fast that he arrives before the thing he was responding to.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

That's the kind of amazing bullshit that deserves to be added to the infamous GOES FAST txt

And he dodges a shockwave by standing still

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Superman got a lot of backlash for inventing a hundred super- powers, but The Flash has exploited "goes fast" for everything from vibrating through solid objects, to faking a heart attack, to time travel, to literally outrunning his own death.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

Superman got a lot of backlash for inventing a hundred super- powers, but The Flash has exploited "goes fast" for everything from vibrating through solid objects, to faking a heart attack, to time travel, to literally outrunning his own death.

Which is especially wild given the way comic books and movies treat super-speed it's already a spectacularly broken power as it is.

The DCAU version of The Flash can keep up with the upper echelons just through that, though when they have Lex and Flash bodyswapped, Lex-Flash uses his powers in ways that Wally never does because it's way too dangerous.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which is especially wild given the way comic books and movies treat super-speed it's already a spectacularly broken power as it is.

The DCAU version of The Flash can keep up with the upper echelons just through that, though when they have Lex and Flash bodyswapped, Lex-Flash uses his powers in ways that Wally never does because it's way too dangerous.

I liked that DCAU Wally was actually really powerful but he almost never went all-out because the more extreme uses of his powers came with serious drawbacks. Which isn't that far off from DCEU Flash really, they just have different sets of extremes and consequences.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gatts posted:

On the one hand yes cringe on the other hand saying love is Predatory and being on one end of the spectrum (Green/Will being the center) I don't know if it was him thinking he's having a clever moment or what to come up with it but I don't know what Johns was trying to say, especially if the Sapphire Corps are all women.

Geoff Johns has issues with women, op

Neurolimal posted:

Still gets wrecked by a hobo with boomerang, turtle man and a dude who learned to spin really really fast
Flash is the best superhero

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Alfred interacting with the Justice League is just always hilarious.

Jeremy Irons can be so awesome. He should have been Batman or something.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that's just old school hospitality. (something Diana should probably also be familiar with)

I do agree abit though, since Diana's constantly being slobbered over, I feel it was a bit annoying. She had that choking down a microaggression smile many of us have had to master. She knows it's out love rather than othering so she's letting it slide. Old school hospitality/chivalry has always been a double edged sword.

That's why the punchline is alfred making the tea after she's done with it, he has no ulterior motives but to make her comfortable.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bushisms.txt posted:

I do agree abit though, since Diana's constantly being slobbered over, I feel it was a bit annoying. She had that choking down a microaggression smile many of us have had to master. She knows it's out love rather than othering so she's letting it slide. Old school hospitality/chivalry has always been a double edged sword.

That's why the punchline is alfred making the tea after she's done with it, he has no ulterior motives but to make her comfortable.

Reminds me of my brother mentioning he was staying with an old couple and after dinner when he got up to take the plate to the sink they insisted on taking it from him to put it away themselves, because he's a guest, and should relax. Given I get the idea Diana's spent most of her time since WW1 living alone, it's the kind of thing that people used to doing things by themselves find a bit jarring.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teagone posted:

I see what you're saying, but I don't read annoyance at all. It comes off more to me as a cute exchange.
I mean, I feel like judgement on Bruce and Alfred here are going to kind of depend on the viewer. As someone who has lived as a man and a femme person, it's insane how men will restate your ideas and take credit for your poo poo. I don't think Diana is jealous or mad about Bruce stealing her gimmick. But the fact that he and Alfred at no point realized their inspiration is kinda lovely. It doesn't make them the worst people in the world, but it's not cute for me. But I enjoy the scene because I get to relate to Wonder Woman which I haven't been able to do since her first movie.

And it's not a dig on Snyder. I think that he's aware it plays on that level and I agree with Bushism about how to read Diana's smile. It's Snyder doing really clever and subtle humor that doesn't play on the dude-bro stereotypes. We can view things different ways and it's fine that McCloud has his read of things, but it doesn't have to be LOL you're film stupid, ya know?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Am reminded that comics Jarvis was basically an Alfred ripoff for the Avengers. In general he's super fun with other hero teams, the TMNT animated movie crossover has him be pretty gold with the Turtles as the rambunctious, pizza-craving teenagers they are. A mix of straight man and den mother for superpowered weirdos.

Superman and Alfred come to mind in particular, since Supes' working class sensibilities and a good read on the situation mean he treats Alfred with utmost respect, and it's returned in kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean, I feel like judgement on Bruce and Alfred here are going to kind of depend on the viewer. As someone who has lived as a man and a femme person, it's insane how men will restate your ideas and take credit for your poo poo. I don't think Diana is jealous or mad about Bruce stealing her gimmick. But the fact that he and Alfred at no point realized their inspiration is kinda lovely. It doesn't make them the worst people in the world, but it's not cute for me. But I enjoy the scene because I get to relate to Wonder Woman which I haven't been able to do since her first movie.

And it's not a dig on Snyder. I think that he's aware it plays on that level and I agree with Bushism about how to read Diana's smile. It's Snyder doing really clever and subtle humor that doesn't play on the dude-bro stereotypes. We can view things different ways and it's fine that McCloud has his read of things, but it doesn't have to be LOL you're film stupid, ya know?

I figured Bruce *did* realize the inspiration, which is why Diana gave a knowing jab at said inspiration.