Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Lysandus posted:

I've had my PS5 for two weeks now. Twice it has turned itself off while in rest mode and then rebuilds the database when I turn it back on. Anyone else see this happen?

Yeah. I unplugged my external drive and it still happens. Ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Playing subnatica on the ps5 and really struggling with the controller. I have played it start to finish 5+ times on the computer and it is one of my favorite games. Is there anyway to hookup a mouse / keyboard and have it work? I know the ps5 supports it, but does every game need support also? Thought I would ask before buying a wireless one to find out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lysandus posted:

I've had my PS5 for two weeks now. Twice it has turned itself off while in rest mode and then rebuilds the database when I turn it back on. Anyone else see this happen?

yeah i dont use an external hard drive and this happens to me probably 1/every 10 times i come back to the console. hoping its just a software thing and not a hardware thing and patchable

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It doesnt happen to mine (digital, no external). Either your console is defective or your outlet is cutting out power intermittently and its coming back on angry

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My console is defective too. If I don’t have a game running the OS will just crash and reset like every minute. Oddly enough it stays stable if a game is running.

Factory reset, database rebuilds, nothing has helped. I haven’t brought myself to jump through Sony’s customer service hoops yet but I’m gonna have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I feel blessed that I havent had any issues with mine yet. I get anxious hearing about other ppls problems :(

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The lava bugs are there for a reason. If you're a magic guy they're a gently caress you. If you're a barbarian you can swat them in one hit.

Take the game's hint. Relax. Focus.

There is no shame in using a guide.

I gave it another shot this morning with a clear head, died five times to the boss of 2-2, four of which were due to the lovely camera bugging out. Died several more times on the path down to that boss because I missed a platform by a centimeter. Looked at the other stages that I had available to me, and then just closed the game. This one ain't for me. Basically everything that I liked about Bloodborne is absent. Bummed, but different strokes and all. Will trade in for something more my speed.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

fridge corn posted:

I feel blessed that I havent had any issues with mine yet. I get anxious hearing about other ppls problems :(

Same here. Always rest mode, never turned it off. No issues

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Beyond Two Souls is not only a souls game but is better than any two of them combined. It says so in the name.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Beyond Two Souls is not only a souls game but is better than any two of them combined. It says so in the name.

Uh, what about Dark Souls III? Checkmate atheists

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always confuse Beyond: Two Souls with Murdered: Soul Suspect and Condemned: Criminal Origins.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

badjohny posted:

Playing subnatica on the ps5 and really struggling with the controller. I have played it start to finish 5+ times on the computer and it is one of my favorite games. Is there anyway to hookup a mouse / keyboard and have it work? I know the ps5 supports it, but does every game need support also? Thought I would ask before buying a wireless one to find out.

Yeah individual games may or may not have m+kb support, and Subnautica does not. You can buy a thing called a XIM that lets you plug in a m+kb and it presents to the console as a controller. Not sure what the story is with PS5 compatibility though

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Do they make smaller ps5 controllers? My 5 yr niece is really struggling to play anything with the dualsense with her small hands :smith:

edit: drat I just checked and my Other: is now 90GB gah!

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 28, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah i dont use an external hard drive and this happens to me probably 1/every 10 times i come back to the console. hoping its just a software thing and not a hardware thing and patchable

Same here. V annoying to have to get up and hit the switch. It’s stopped repairing whatever and just turns on at least. Also, seems like it’s happening less?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fridge corn posted:

Don’t forget that it’s not like people like myself are going to come around randomly to go “just wanted to say my console is working perfect!”. It’s all good mr corn don’t worry bud.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
On the day I got my ps5, I turned it on from rest mode, and for some reason there was a green bar down the left hand side of the screen, and the display had duplicated itself, so there were two identical displays, one on top of the other. I turned it off and turned it on again, and it was fine, but it's still not what you want to see from your new toy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ghostinmyshell posted:

Do they make smaller ps5 controllers? My 5 yr niece is really struggling to play anything with the dualsense with her small hands :smith:

edit: drat I just checked and my Other: is now 90GB gah!

Overall I'm really happy with the DualSense but I find my hands get tired a lot faster than with the DS4 (and by that I mean they actually get tired. Could play on the DS4 for a looong time and never feel it). Not sure if it's the size or the ergonomics or the tension of the buttons. Or maybe all combined.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. This obviously has a lot of benefits - it's why backwards compatibility is so amazing this time around for instance. But it also means more occasions of weird issues that you can't pin down the cause but disappear just as quickly.

But then tech in general is like that these days. I had all kinds of bugs with multiple apps on my Fire Cube, each app having a different problem that could only be rectified by rebooting, each problem was impossible to replicate or find a cause and googling suggested nobody else had identical problems to me. Then I did a factory reset and it's been flawless ever since.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

So Sony is just determined to destroy my entire life, right? I can't think of any other reason for this many free games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TheIndividual posted:

I gave it another shot this morning with a clear head, died five times to the boss of 2-2, four of which were due to the lovely camera bugging out. Died several more times on the path down to that boss because I missed a platform by a centimeter. Looked at the other stages that I had available to me, and then just closed the game. This one ain't for me. Basically everything that I liked about Bloodborne is absent. Bummed, but different strokes and all. Will trade in for something more my speed.

Eh don't feel too bad imo it's the roughest of the souls games and I did walk away with a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth after I beat it. I replayed dark souls 1 through 3 and bloodborne to wash the taste out after and it was a great time.

The visuals on demon souls are insanely good though and it's still a decent game. Just my least favorite of the main souls games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That said it's also a very short ride there's really only two real levels in most archstones. You may want to just take a small break and come back to power through because it does have some neat moments

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Casnorf posted:

Souls games are just metroidvanias.

metroidprimelikes :colbert:

Casnorf posted:

Large, looping level design gated by traversal and shortcut unlocks, generally skill-based gameplay that can optionally be brute-forced, gear changes being more important than incremental upgrades...

Genre prescriptivism is stupid but I never really liked the Soulsborne moniker since they're very clearly hewn from the Symphony of the Night quarry.

BloodSouls!

Electromax posted:

Ironically Castlevania itself chose to become one of the very few "God of War-likes"

like rain on your wedding day

fridge corn posted:

I think "souls-like" is a perfectly valid genre because it communicates to a prospective consumer that a particular game is similar to Dark Souls and if you like that thing then you might like this thing

if roguelike-lite can be a genre then soulslike can be a genre

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Agreed and trying to police how genres are/aren't used or defined by others strikes me as pretentious. It is a genre period simply based on the fact that it is used by people widely

You can't control language dawg

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

TheIndividual posted:

That's probably the most difficult boss in the game, besides one other one that's only really difficult because you fight them on a narrow platform and you can easily get knocked off for seemingly no reason. So I'd try some of the other levels before you do truly give up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

welp, I'm at the point where I can really hang with the Fatalis boys. I don't have his armor, but I've got his weapon, and a pretty good team-based skill/gem allotment, wide-range 5, artillery 2, constitution 4, speed eating, etc. I'm no longer getting carted all the time even though my defense still isn't that high, and I've got most of his moveset down. Having tons of stamina with the dualblades makes zipping around really fun. i might be able to make a really solid armor build before I finish the rest of the optional quests and finally tap out of MHW. curious beanpole pride goin on!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

welp, I'm at the point where I can really hang with the Fatalis boys. I don't have his armor, but I've got his weapon, and a pretty good team-based skill/gem allotment, wide-range 5, artillery 2, constitution 4, speed eating, etc. I'm no longer getting carted all the time even though my defense still isn't that high, and I've got most of his moveset down. Having tons of stamina with the dualblades makes zipping around really fun. i might be able to make a really solid armor build before I finish the rest of the optional quests and finally tap out of MHW. curious beanpole pride goin on!

BP do you have a switch and are you going to get Rise.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Now get a Switch and play Rise

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

KingSlime posted:

Agreed and trying to police how genres are/aren't used or defined by others strikes me as pretentious. It is a genre period simply based on the fact that it is used by people widely

You can't control language dawg

You're mistaking my intent, haha. I might think genres are understood and used particularly poorly here, and if you're gonna be dumb about it at least be interesting dumb and make connections that show some level of critical thinking, but if I'm doing anything it's asking ya goobers to think about things slightly differently than usual. This isn't the first time we've had this tedious genre/classification discussion here and I'm gonna make it interesting* to me or get myself ignored trying. What's fun, here, at least for me, is that I can say an accurate-to-me thing and still get this kind of response.

* - mostly i just wanna see stuff coming out of people that's unique to them, specifically. i dont care what 'everyone' thinks about the subject: I care what YOU think, and what your perception of the issue is and how rigidly you, personally, abide by it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

BP do you have a switch and are you going to get Rise.

boz posted:

Now get a Switch and play Rise

I don't have a switch, I'm not into portables or Nintendo on the whole unfortunately, and tbh I don't really need ANOTHER platform vector for money to leave my pocket lol. However, I did by Rise for my niece and I've been watching her play it and I absolutely adore the art style, music, and traversal. It kind of looks like MHW 'lite', and I don't mean that in a bad way, just an easier more streamlined game with some of MHW's QoL and some new innovations as well (along with a ton of new mons), which makes me super excited for the next prestige console release. The idea of MHW2 with some of the Switch game's additions is fapworthy as hell, but for now, after 800+ combined hours of MHW, I'm down for a little rest.

I hope y'all have a ton of fun with Rise!

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Ugh I bought a 5TB external drive after getting tired of running out of space and re-downloading games and I have to go into each game I download and click each add-on/dlc I bought. A couple of games provided a select all list which was nice. I really wanted to wait for the first offiical m2 expansions but I couldn't wait any longer.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think VG just beat dark souls 2, today? Dark souls 3 is coming up soon. I imagine this is him lol:

https://youtu.be/okBG7oz_Gto

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's crazy. How long have the play sessions been on average?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Close to the end of the first DLC, so still two more to go. Then a couple of leftover bosses before the final boss.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Casnorf posted:

You're mistaking my intent, haha. I might think genres are understood and used particularly poorly here, and if you're gonna be dumb about it at least be interesting dumb and make connections that show some level of critical thinking, but if I'm doing anything it's asking ya goobers to think about things slightly differently than usual. This isn't the first time we've had this tedious genre/classification discussion here and I'm gonna make it interesting* to me or get myself ignored trying. What's fun, here, at least for me, is that I can say an accurate-to-me thing and still get this kind of response.

* - mostly i just wanna see stuff coming out of people that's unique to them, specifically. i dont care what 'everyone' thinks about the subject: I care what YOU think, and what your perception of the issue is and how rigidly you, personally, abide by it.

Jokers trick

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
We are all the dingus.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Random aside, I'm looking for a PS5, I know it's a fools errand but I got nowinstock running and if any nice goon can grab any I'll buy it from you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know Konami is the worst company in video games but I truly don't get why they don't capitalize on the piles of classics they are just sitting on that are becoming increasingly hard to play on hardware anyone is using in 2021. I just want a complete MGS collection and all of the portable castevanias and silent hill so bad, like just do it wtf.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They can't even do super nostalgia bait stores right either. They just opened an online Konami store and it's all just t-shirts and mugs you could get off Redbubble, some throw pillows, and inexplicably the world map from Suikoden 1.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

veni veni veni posted:

I know Konami is the worst company in video games but I truly don't get why they don't capitalize on the piles of classics they are just sitting on that are becoming increasingly hard to play on hardware anyone is using in 2021. I just want a complete MGS collection and all of the portable castevanias and silent hill so bad, like just do it wtf.

Konami should just sell out their games division to sony already, covid had to have hurt them with reduced gambling/activity revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The dream is Konami going on the auction block and either Capcom or Sony grabbing it.

Give me BluePoint Silent Hill 1 and 2.

e: and PT and the finale of MGS5 and Silent Hills