Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Starts are pretty much down to personal preference. No start locks you out of any content or faction. Granted, some are a little more difficult than others at the start, and a few give you an easy boost at the start. There isn't really any hard-mode/easy-mode starts, as they only really affect what you do for the first hour or two of gameplay.

Spear of the patriarch is pretty tough due to being -21 with argon, which means they shoot at your combat ships, but not civilian ships so there's still hope to turn that around. Then there's "unworthy entrepreneur" which gives you a big M transport ship and a dinky flower factory. Also the scientist start that fast-tracks you to the PHQ immediately.

Do whatever you want. You can start as Terran and immediately zip over to ZYA space, shoot some crime to fix rep, and then just live there if you really wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

terran cadet is the only one with a dececntly long story attached

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
This one mission where you have to protect this Paranid diplomat while he conducts negotiations is kicking my Cobra's rear end. The fighters that spawn in just take out my shields in seconds, so I'm afraid to try to boost away since that will leave me with even fewer shields. I really don't think I like the "boost energy == shield power" mechanic. Maybe I should just keep ignoring this mission for another 30 hours until I can come back with a whole fleet.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

bgreman posted:

This one mission where you have to protect this Paranid diplomat while he conducts negotiations is kicking my Cobra's rear end. The fighters that spawn in just take out my shields in seconds, so I'm afraid to try to boost away since that will leave me with even fewer shields. I really don't think I like the "boost energy == shield power" mechanic. Maybe I should just keep ignoring this mission for another 30 hours until I can come back with a whole fleet.

Just boost away towards the pirate lady and leave him be, his allied fleet will come in and you can just shoot the stragglers and complete the mission. Doesn't matter how good your ship is if dozens of fighters are shooting out at the same time, you need to get them distracted to have a chance. Also the duke has plot armor, so he won't die.

Also that shield=boost mechanic really benefits terran engines, since terran ships have insane accelerations, so the game adds another layers to equipment needs.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 29, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I just did that exact thing, kite them with your superior cobra speed and shoot them with your superior cobra weapon range while flying backwards

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Split ships are about boom and zoom, speed is life, hit them with high burst dps weapons then GTFO. Don't get stuck in a furball, don't get into turn fights and don't ram the wreckage of your victims as you'll get shredded. You need to have room to regen your shield, your guns to cool down and being able to pick your next target. The Split Tau Accelerator feeds into this, it's a better shard gun that the other factions get, shorter range but tighter grouping and higher damage ( everything I've read suggests that the Neutron Gatling is pants but they're guns that go brrrrrt ). I say all of this but I am a bad spaceship driver, and the Nemesis is a lot more forgiving, not as much forward facing firepower but it can tank a lot harder.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Also that shield=boost mechanic really benefits terran engines, since terran ships have insane accelerations, so the game adds another layers to equipment needs.

Incidentally this is another reason why I say the Katana is just better than the Nemesis. It can do the split gimmick better than the Split.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Sedisp posted:

Incidentally this is another reason why I say the Katana is just better than the Nemesis. It can do the split gimmick better than the Split.
The caveat here ( and I have been playing with my sweet freebie Katana that's all tricked out with mods ) is that the Katana weapon loadout selection leaves a bit to be desired. Proton Barrages are sweet guns but if you're going for rapid bursting down of opponents Split style, or sustained tearing off components off capitals an extra hardpoint or two would elevate it, but it is still an excellent Corvette, and the one I've spent the most time in.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That Mule mod is really nice. I took a few "Trade for commander" ships and reset them as mules and suddenly they zipped off to actually get stuff. Before they were just sitting around staring at each other.

The only problems I have are that I can't seem to get my mules to focus on my stuff. I set up a bunch to supply my Wharf, but they're ignoring my (stocked) factories in the same sector. I also tried setting up one route specifically between my Hull Part factory and the Wharf, but it gets confused and starts grabbing other wares instead.

On the upside I can't keep up with all the orders coming in. I can't keep the Wharf stocked to keep up with demand! It's awesome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sloppy portmanteau posted:

What´s a good way to take down Xenon stations from OOS? I´ve had 6 Odysseus and 2 Rattlesnakes circling around a solar power plant for probably 20 minutes in SETA
What's SETA?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a "secret" fourth mode you can put the ship into that accelerates time.

I have no idea why they made it contingent on you collecting three rare parts that are random drops but they did. In X3 you could just buy them at any equipment dock

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

OwlFancier posted:

It is a "secret" fourth mode you can put the ship into that accelerates time.

I have no idea why they made it contingent on you collecting three rare parts that are random drops but they did. In X3 you could just buy them at any equipment dock

The dev's really hate the idea of SETA and this is the compromise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean in most instances the travel drive is better anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sounds useful for if i'm just waiting for something to happen though.

I'll just install this "unlock for free" mod since yeah I remember it being a standard piece of equipment in x3 now that I was reminded.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 29, 2021

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
X3 would also allow you to turn on both autopilot and SETA if you were making a long trip, which you can't do in X4...unless you enable SETA, pause, open the map, enable autopilot, then unpause.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Pause?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You can hit the Pause key on your keyboard (or remap it in the settings). Really useful for stopping an AI doing/about to do something stupid as you can issue commands/change default behaviors, but you can build a station, adjust orders and money levels, basically do everything except be able to actually move of course.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That would have been slightly useful for keeping my scouts who blundered into Xenon space and kept loving going alive.

Not so much when I notice because they are three sectors deep, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could set a global default blacklist for hostile sectors.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Slickdrac posted:

X3 would also allow you to turn on both autopilot and SETA if you were making a long trip, which you can't do in X4...unless you enable SETA, pause, open the map, enable autopilot, then unpause.

It doesn't disable it when the autopilot goes into travel mode?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I did. The SectorExplorer mod seems to be too dumb to just TURN THE gently caress AROUND when it goes through an unknown gate and finds itself in hostile space.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
X3 SETA was fundamentally different since it was your travel drive equivalent and yeah travel drive is superior in every way to SETA or jump drives since you don't need to hit fast forward on the economy to get somewhere in less time than a geologic period or carry space pennies.

Still surprised they didn't put it at the end of HAT cross HQ plots or something.

Maybe not surprised, it's very on brand Egosoft to make it rare random drop. Still chasing down a singularity what's it :argh:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

It doesn't disable it when the autopilot goes into travel mode?

It's sometimes inconsistent, but if you are already pointing the right direction so travel mode is enabling as soon as you hit AP, it usually works.

The trigger for it disabling is a bit weird if you do things under pause. I've also had it on while paused and then teleported to one of my stations, and SETA kept going while completely out of ship.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

zedprime posted:

travel drive is superior in every way to SETA or jump drives

No way, jump drives were much faster. I'd really like a 'Wake me up when we arrive' command for my pilot, to fast forward over long trips.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Oh dear me posted:

No way, jump drives were much faster. I'd really like a 'Wake me up when we arrive' command for my pilot, to fast forward over long trips.

Jump drives completely broke the logistics part of the game by making instantaneous transport a function of money which was so small compared to endgame earnings that it may as well have been free.

The fact that capital assets can be 20 minutes away if you want to cross the entire map actually makes you choose where you will deploy your power and makes lighter capitals suited for a rapid response role instead of being totally useless. Now that you can teleport there really isn't any reason to go on long trips in person, just send a ship ahead while you play the game and then zip over there when it arrives.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, jump drives are infinitely powerful with finitely cheap fuel. Also infinitely frustrating setting up space penny infrastructure. Feels bad man.

Travel drives and the highway ring, combined with teleporting have their own downsides and quirks but feels like a really good compromise to feeling like you're in a big space while still being able to react to things at complete opposite ends of where you are this instant.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Jump drives with a rare fuel instead of just energy cells plus an exponential cost based on distance might be interesting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I only miss unfocused jumps which were occasionally neat, like finding the abandoned mothership

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

shalcar posted:

Now that you can teleport there really isn't any reason to go on long trips in person, just send a ship ahead while you play the game and then zip over there when it arrives.

But the early game exists.

I'm not convinced miraculous teleportation is in any way a better solution than jump drives, but I think a 'Wake me up when we get there' pilot command would make the game more accessible for new, less dedicated players, as well.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I just want The Void to not be a choke point, or not have AP disabling rocks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

shalcar posted:

Jump drives completely broke the logistics part of the game by making instantaneous transport a function of money which was so small compared to endgame earnings that it may as well have been free.

The fact that capital assets can be 20 minutes away if you want to cross the entire map actually makes you choose where you will deploy your power and makes lighter capitals suited for a rapid response role instead of being totally useless. Now that you can teleport there really isn't any reason to go on long trips in person, just send a ship ahead while you play the game and then zip over there when it arrives.

Yeah one of the best things I think they did was take out the jumpdrive but add in the player teleportation. Because it allows the actual player attention to be moved around at the drop of a hat, but your physical assets still take time to get places. The jumpdrive was a bad addition IMO because it just made distances irrelevant. Which granted might have been necessary in X3 but with the new travel drive mechanics I think the HQ teleport is by far one of the best ideas they came up with. In some respects it makes the game play like a proper strategy where you can move your view and control easily, but you still only have the stuff you have at any given location. And the transition between those as you unlock longer range teleportation is surprisingly elegant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 29, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Being able to transport the player instantly and not ships or materials is a huge difference and I definitely would not want the game to go back to jump drives. You can instantly jump into a battle, jump to your factory, whatever. It's super liberating and doesn't break the economics of the game.

The highways are still kinda dumb though.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

zedprime posted:

Maybe not surprised, it's very on brand Egosoft to make it rare random drop. Still chasing down a singularity what's it :argh:

Pretty sure I got one of those as a reward for one of the plot missions, either Terran or Segaris, after defending a transporter from a Yaki attack you land at a station and have to talk to the manager, she gave me one.

It was the last part I needed, so it might give you all parts or just the ones you are missing. Or maybe it's always that same one and I was lucky.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm trying to build a second dock on my hull parts factory, but it's waiting on... hull parts. :psyduck:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

I'm trying to build a second dock on my hull parts factory, but it's waiting on... hull parts. :psyduck:

I believe you have to manually get a ship to transfer them from the station's storage to the build storage. I haven't seen the automatic traders do that for you so far.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Somebody did while I was trying to arrange that. :shrug:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I have a nice trading ship built but the little jerk doesn't want to go make me money automatically. If I am reading things correctly, I have to give it a level 3 pilot to be able to do that?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

I have a nice trading ship built but the little jerk doesn't want to go make me money automatically. If I am reading things correctly, I have to give it a level 3 pilot to be able to do that?

Yep, unmodded, a three star pilot is required. I've been using this mod to avoid that bullshit with no problems: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/70. You could also use one of the faster skill increase mods if that's more your style.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Travic posted:

That Mule mod is really nice. I took a few "Trade for commander" ships and reset them as mules and suddenly they zipped off to actually get stuff. Before they were just sitting around staring at each other.

The only problems I have are that I can't seem to get my mules to focus on my stuff. I set up a bunch to supply my Wharf, but they're ignoring my (stocked) factories in the same sector. I also tried setting up one route specifically between my Hull Part factory and the Wharf, but it gets confused and starts grabbing other wares instead.

On the upside I can't keep up with all the orders coming in. I can't keep the Wharf stocked to keep up with demand! It's awesome.

The station mules try to only take stuff when they can mostly fill their cargo holds, checking the allow low volumes will override that but will obviously let them get away with very small loads and yeah they will supply your other stations in the same system unless you check serve source only. If you want to make the mules prefer your stuff then setting a supply mule and putting its player buy mod to 0 will make it think your stuff is free to buy at your factories.

https://github.com/Misunderstood-Wookiee/Mules-and-Warehouses-Extended/blob/Public/README.md This would probably have been a good thing to link when I started talking about the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Did this mission really just leave me deep in restricted space without the cover ID i used to get in here

rude