Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Serra will do a fireman slide down her bars to get to her food dish. She will do it over, and over, and over if she perceives she isn't being fed RIGHT ON TIME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kuros posted:

Caught some of the wild parrots in San Diego going bonkers earlier today. (sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/Va87XRJ.mp4

Edit: Fixed, I uploaded from mobile and forgot to hit the unmute.

the "cocky green bastards" as Shorty MR.Cat (I think) called them once lmao

mediaphage posted:

lmao that’s hilarious.

often grace will be locked up while alex is out and she has developed what i call a tattle tweet. if he is flying up to a place he isn’t supposed to be (bookcase, coat rack, mostly, for obvious reasons) she yells until we come get him.

RoboRodent posted:

Ozzy does this every time Sera starts exploring into the kitchen or down the hallway.

Ozzy's just kind of a bossy bitch, honestly.

Amadeus tattles on Charlemagne all the time :lol:

Charlie has a code of honor. He would never betray his companion/sister/girlfriend(?) like that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was just given another crow gift 🖤 A couple days ago it was rainy and unpleasant out and H and M came by my apartment in a way that seemed to mean they didn't want to beg or impose, but if I happened to have something for them to eat that would be really helpful on this particular day and they would appreciate it. I did of course and went outside in the cold and wet to leave broken-up cereal bar for them. They ate a couple pieces each on the roof across from my window before leaving again shortly, clearly glad to go back to shelter and, possibly, their springtime nest.

Today I just finished the afternoon walk I take on my days off and I guess they really did appreciate Thursday's favor. Towards the end of my loop I always pass the usual feeding place and H, the more outgoing one, immediately appeared as I did to get my attention. He watched with a telltale big poofy head as I approached him, and I found placed on my usual seat a small battered tin lady bird pin. I've learned he likes when I make a show of examining presents thoroughly before I accept them and the head got poofier and poofier as I completed this part of the ritual :lmao: I would say he was watching me like a hawk but... you know.

I did accept it of course, and I'm delighted :) I don't think my wild friends will ever be the touching kind, but they are still wonderful at expressing affection and gratitude and I'm so, so honored every time they do.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
that is unbelievably :kimchi: holy hell

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

It's hard to have a partner in crime that throws you under the bus, Ama.

Also oh my goodness that is the sweetest thing, especially with the whole "they clearly enjoy you examining and enjoying the gift" part. Thank you for being so nice to your corvid buddies, they clearly love you.

Roborodent, I don't know what that app was but I am jealous. I use Merlin but would love a guide that helpfully points out identifying markings on birds to make it easier.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I was just given another crow gift 🖤 A couple days ago it was rainy and unpleasant out and H and M came by my apartment in a way that seemed to mean they didn't want to beg or impose, but if I happened to have something for them to eat that would be really helpful on this particular day and they would appreciate it. I did of course and went outside in the cold and wet to leave broken-up cereal bar for them. They ate a couple pieces each on the roof across from my window before leaving again shortly, clearly glad to go back to shelter and, possibly, their springtime nest.

Today I just finished the afternoon walk I take on my days off and I guess they really did appreciate Thursday's favor. Towards the end of my loop I always pass the usual feeding place and H, the more outgoing one, immediately appeared as I did to get my attention. He watched with a telltale big poofy head as I approached him, and I found placed on my usual seat a small battered tin lady bird pin. I've learned he likes when I make a show of examining presents thoroughly before I accept them and the head got poofier and poofier as I completed this part of the ritual :lmao: I would say he was watching me like a hawk but... you know.

I did accept it of course, and I'm delighted :) I don't think my wild friends will ever be the touching kind, but they are still wonderful at expressing affection and gratitude and I'm so, so honored every time they do.

this is delightful

you are delightful

birds are delightful

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DyBW1lerjg

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Filmed this morning at dawn:
https://i.imgur.com/6nl3Wb6.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/e9okZIi.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/5FJATL1.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i would never get anything done

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Corvids are the best. I'd love to have a pet myna (the only domesticated corvid I can think of) but I'd feel guilty about keeping them indoors. Maybe if I had a giant aviary...

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ahhhhh crow gifts! :kimchi:

Chaosfeather posted:

Roborodent, I don't know what that app was but I am jealous. I use Merlin but would love a guide that helpfully points out identifying markings on birds to make it easier.

It's Sibley. I assume their new app is of similar quality, but it's expensive for an app, because it's basically their paper field guide made electronic. I actually bought it for a class where I needed a really good field guide. It didn't matter which one, but this was the top of the prof's suggestions.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

they're all legs and beaks :laffo:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Youth Decay posted:

Corvids are the best. I'd love to have a pet myna (the only domesticated corvid I can think of) but I'd feel guilty about keeping them indoors. Maybe if I had a giant aviary...

Australian magpies are corvish but not actually corvids.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

they're all legs and beaks :laffo:

They spend a lot of their time walking around foraging on the ground, and the ones with dark beaks and eyebrows are juveniles that are almost full length but haven't filled out so they look more spindly than usual.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

this is delightful

you are delightful

birds are delightful

Edit:

At the other end of the spectrum there's this:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 28, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus tattles on Charlemagne all the time :lol:

Charlie has a code of honor. He would never betray his companion/sister/girlfriend(?) like that.

Well, I mean, she did lay an egg...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

mediaphage posted:

i would never get anything done

That's how I feel about birds who talk or do tricks.

Serra can melt me by allowing me to pet her. If she started tap dancing, watching her do it would be a full time job.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I work from home at a job that's super stressful for dumb, unnecessary reasons. If I didn't have my Therapy Magpies I'd have snapped and quit/been fired months ago.

I spend my lunch break with them and all my anxiety goes away.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Got to see something unusual (for here, at least) this morning: condensation on the magpies' breath when they were singing

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

There are so many levels of magic in this. They knew to ask you for help. They knew that a gift would be welcome, they wanted to know that their gift was valued.
I dearly love crows because they are just so smart and social and humorous. Crows tell jokes, I've seen them, they loving love physical humour. They aren't the same as parrots, but they are just as intelligent and wonderful.

Edit:on reflection, I think the reciprocal giving is important because crows have a lot of dignity. If it's just you giving them things, then they are like babies, but if they give you treasures back, then it's a lot more equal. From my memories of my own crow friends, they are profoundly proud and dignified people: they welcome friendship but reject patronage.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 28, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

When I was about sixteen, we went on a road trip up through the Yukon and Northwest Territories, and I can tell you (at least, twenty years ago) that the ravens up there have a dialect that involves screaming. Screaming like a goddamn person. The ravens around here don't scream.

Ozzy had a major bluescreen meltdown yesterday over my changing bedsheets and he ended up just trying to fight me for several minutes. There's video but my face is in it. I call it bluescreening because he hardly seems aware of anything around him when this happens, only that he must fight everything. I took out my earring and let him go at it, because he wasn't going for blood and the alternative was to let him go after Sera, and I'm bigger and tougher, and told him he was okay and he was safe until he calmed down and seemed to remember where he was. The whole episode seems to have made something click in his mind, though, because today? Today he's been a lot more comfortable being in my space than he normally is. He even sat on my foot. He has never done this. He's a very hands-off sort of bird.

Also, Sera climbed into a box that was too narrow for him to figure out how to turn around in and I had to rescue him. :derptiel:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You handled it right, sounds like. Ozzy was in full reactive mode, meaning running on nothing but instinct and reflex, so your only options are to try to do things to end the reactivity.

Once it was over though you probably still remembered you being calm during his freakout, which meant that you were safe later on too. :3:

Also lol Sera :derptiel:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk if it’s spring bird fever or what but grace has been suuuuuuper cage defensive lately. like just trying to change out her food bowl results in lots of lunging and bites (which thankfully she’s a tiny bird). she’s chill most of the rest of the time though and immediately after this will cuddle up to you for scratches and to burrow into your neck. it’s mostly frustrating because it’s unpredictable. fortunately it’s only in this one area that she’s a little scrapper.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I feed my birds Roudybush pellets, do I need to change it daily, or are they alright to just leave in the cage for a few days at a time? I don't know if pellets even go "stale", but I end up throwing a bunch out regularly because I pestle & mortar the pellets down to a more manageable size for the two dummies and don't want them to eat stale stuff. Also, my heart kinda breaks for Wasabi. He's picked on (not constantly) and I don't know whether getting another male would balance things out (if he even is male, he's the total opposite of Chick, more vocal, plays with toys, more curious with new things, but their cere are quite similar). If I cuddle Wasabi, Chick will come and push him off. They're generally okay in the cage together, but Chick is hella defensive over the seagrass net. They're usually fine throughout the day but every so often Chick will chase Wasabi off a perch or the seagrass net or a food bowl (I've got multiple in the cage). They peck at each other's beaks until Wasabi flies somewhere else. They always sleep together at night though, I wake them up in the morning and they're side by side (but not cuddling). What can I do to discourage Chick's assholishness. Timeout doesn't work as she'll just have a blast in the cage whilst Wasabi tries to get back near her.

Wasabi keeps pooping on his butthole and it'll hang there until he decides to clean it up. It's a morning problem, which makes sense cause he'll go number 2 whilst squatting low on the perch / seagrass net and it doesn't have anywhere to fall. I've decided never to take them to the vet unless they're literally going to die, or I think they'll die. This doesn't seem like a life or death issue. Is it just cause Wasabi is very stupid and kak's themselves? Chick has never had this problem. I wonder if he's just below average IQ cause of whatever inbreeding goes on, he's always been slow and clumsy, like he's super stoned. Chick used to be unsure on her feet and would carefully move from perch to perch, but she quickly grew out of it and now hops around confidently (even on my fingers), Wasabi is still really slow and methodical like they're not sure of themselves relative to where Chick was at his age.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

birds are different just like people. i can't offer any advice for getting them to get along better, unfortunately, other than intervening where necessary and giving them treats when they're getting along. having multiple perches, food bowls, and seagrass mats is probably always a good thing, though.

as for the poop thing, ah, well. poo poo happens, you know? you can give them a bath once or twice a week if you aren't already.

the pellets will be fine as long as they aren't full of poop or getting wet. you can change them out every 2-3 days, or when the bowls end up being more pellet dust than pellet.

as for having to mortar them down, is it possible for you to order smaller pellets?

for example, i buy this stuff for ours:

https://hari.ca/our-products/bird-nutrition/tropican-parrot-food/lifetime-formula/

it's hagen tropican pellets, specifically the 2mm size (it comes in 2mm and 4mm sizes). i imagine the 2mm would be great for your guys without needing to change it further.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

When I was about sixteen, we went on a road trip up through the Yukon and Northwest Territories, and I can tell you (at least, twenty years ago) that the ravens up there have a dialect that involves screaming. Screaming like a goddamn person. The ravens around here don't scream.

Ozzy had a major bluescreen meltdown yesterday over my changing bedsheets and he ended up just trying to fight me for several minutes. There's video but my face is in it. I call it bluescreening because he hardly seems aware of anything around him when this happens, only that he must fight everything. I took out my earring and let him go at it, because he wasn't going for blood and the alternative was to let him go after Sera, and I'm bigger and tougher, and told him he was okay and he was safe until he calmed down and seemed to remember where he was. The whole episode seems to have made something click in his mind, though, because today? Today he's been a lot more comfortable being in my space than he normally is. He even sat on my foot. He has never done this. He's a very hands-off sort of bird.

Also, Sera climbed into a box that was too narrow for him to figure out how to turn around in and I had to rescue him. :derptiel:

Oh Robo that's wonderful :kimchi: Well, not the meltdown exactly, but I agree with DarkHorse. You did something for him that he deeply appreciated, and that helped him physically and mentally. You are such a good bird owner. :)

Pookah posted:

There are so many levels of magic in this. They knew to ask you for help. They knew that a gift would be welcome, they wanted to know that their gift was valued.
I dearly love crows because they are just so smart and social and humorous. Crows tell jokes, I've seen them, they loving love physical humour. They aren't the same as parrots, but they are just as intelligent and wonderful.

Edit:on reflection, I think the reciprocal giving is important because crows have a lot of dignity. If it's just you giving them things, then they are like babies, but if they give you treasures back, then it's a lot more equal. From my memories of my own crow friends, they are profoundly proud and dignified people: they welcome friendship but reject patronage.

Not only physical humor, but they're so playful in general! I've seen H do barrel rolls to greet me (I had to google CAN CROWS BARREL ROLL to make sure I hadn't gone briefly insane), and I've also seen him swooping and spiraling and plunging straight down with other crows while they whirled around each other like corkscrews. It's so wonderful to watch :kimchi: Sometimes when I'm out walking he'll come down low and do lazy zig-zags behind me for a couple blocks, like a bicyclist weaving back and forth to maintain momentum without losing balance.

I absolutely agree with the dignity too, one hundred percent and without hesitation. It was such a strong impression on the rainy day that they had been reluctant to come ask and wouldn't have if it hadn't been important. I almost described it as saying they were too proud to like asking, in fact :) I get the sense too that they take pride in having a relationship with an outsider and the presents are just as you said -- to ensure it's mutual and I know it's a relationship of affection and not necessity. Unlike those pigeons, who come around occasionally and get chased off with obvious disdain. :lmao:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh Robo that's wonderful :kimchi: Well, not the meltdown exactly, but I agree with DarkHorse. You did something for him that he deeply appreciated, and that helped him physically and mentally. You are such a good bird owner. :)

Not only physical humor, but they're so playful in general! I've seen H do barrel rolls to greet me (I had to google CAN CROWS BARREL ROLL to make sure I hadn't gone briefly insane), and I've also seen him swooping and spiraling and plunging straight down with other crows while they whirled around each other like corkscrews. It's so wonderful to watch :kimchi: Sometimes when I'm out walking he'll come down low and do lazy zig-zags behind me for a couple blocks, like a bicyclist weaving back and forth to maintain momentum without losing balance.

I absolutely agree with the dignity too, one hundred percent and without hesitation. It was such a strong impression on the rainy day that they had been reluctant to come ask and wouldn't have if it hadn't been important. I almost described it as saying they were too proud to like asking, in fact :) I get the sense too that they take pride in having a relationship with an outsider and the presents are just as you said -- to ensure it's mutual and I know it's a relationship of affection and not necessity. Unlike those pigeons, who come around occasionally and get chased off with obvious disdain. :lmao:

To be trusted by crows is both an honor and a blessing. My own crow family died out a few years ago, but that relationship was a good 20 years in the growing and development. It was like any connection with an intelligent and proud other: it takes time and commitment to create trust.

Your crow friends obviously trust and value you - they do show-off flying for you, and come to you for help when they need it. That's a crazy high trust level :)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Just a pair of hungry, wet, cold crows, not having luck scavenging that day, one of them goes "Hey, maybe that human friend of ours is around and has something to share?"

So of course, they had to find something really nice for you in return.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Pesto giving me my morning briefing.

While recording him Mayo jumped onto my head.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

birds are different just like people.

thanks for this, treats when they're getting along and giving treats when they're both together seems like a plan. and yeah, I've stared at more budgie butthole these past few days than a normal person does in their lifetime. he seems to be doing alright so we'll just roll with it and see where the poops take us.

yeah I religiously clean the food bowls. good to know I can keep the pellets out for a few days. I've searched high and low for smaller pellets but no luck, this country only seems to import the larger roudybush pellets. I might order a bag internationally, if that's a possibility. thanks, mediaphage!

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 30, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LAB is offering bird probes in PYF!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

thanks for this, treats when they're getting along and giving treats when they're both together seems like a plan. and yeah, I've stared at more budgie butthole these past few days than a normal person does in their lifetime. he seems to be doing alright so we'll just roll with it and see where the poops take us.

yeah I religiously clean the food bowls. good to know I can keep the pellets out for a few days. I've searched high and low for smaller pellets but no luck, this country only seems to import the larger roudybush pellets. I might order a bag internationally, if that's a possibility. thanks, mediaphage!

you might try reaching out to a company like hagen and asking if they have a distributor in your country (like maybe a small time bird store orders them; i dunno where you are). if not they might still be able to offer you direction vs just paying for international shipping from amazon or whatever.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StrixNebulosa posted:

LAB is offering bird probes in PYF!

LINK

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963656

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Please do not probe birds, they are unlikely to enjoy it

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
aaaah I'm late can I please get a bird prob still? D:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUbmmI5utBc

is he ok
birds do this usually right

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

hbag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUbmmI5utBc

is he ok
birds do this usually right

I've always assumed this is a young bird with a strong feeding reflex.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I would like to correct a factual error posted in the bird probing thread.

It was claimed that corvids are the best birds. This cannot be true, as Australian magpies are the best birds and they are not corvids (although they are considered part of the corvides infraorder).

This post has been brought to you by the facial expression ":mad:"

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you to Literally A Bird - you are amazing and even made sure I got a raven in my prob picture!!!! Thank you!

Edit: Boop Boop! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3dOam9Hg4

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 31, 2021