Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I wish the mod were Ironman compatible. Pretty much any game I start is going after an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Der Kyhe posted:

Immediately ally whoever is the current king of England because otherwise it will be a slow and boring campaign of make claim-->use claim until you hit the point where you can actually declare as the King of the Irish crown. And the other petty kings sure as poo poo will ally with someone completely outside your league.

With the king as an ally you can at least take on against anyone you have usable claim on and you need several to reach the tip over point.

how do you ally someone?

also i can steal the claim of connacht but the dude is fighting a war and the game dont let my pick the usurp option. also that bastard tried to attack me and took prisioner my son wife and their daughter. he must pay.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Great work guys, really taking control of Jerusalem here. They need to spend some time on this war AI, they are both cowards and fools. If you are going to break off to loot, at least loot Egypt!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

how do you ally someone?

Marry someone of your family to one of his children

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Tamba posted:

Marry someone of your family to one of his children

thanks

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yeah, if they revisit the AI this will be the best paradox gfame of the current generation. Currently that goes to Rome: Inmperator, the AI of which can and will stomp you

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
must...reform...the Akom faith....

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It didn't work out (still have the title through)

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so some rear end in a top hat attacked one of my dudes claiming a title but i cant raise my army? what im doing wrong?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Zeta Acosta posted:

so some rear end in a top hat attacked one of my dudes claiming a title but i cant raise my army? what im doing wrong?

is some rear end in a top hat also within your realm?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Great work guys, really taking control of Jerusalem here. They need to spend some time on this war AI, they are both cowards and fools. If you are going to break off to loot, at least loot Egypt!

Yeah, the AI has a really bad strategy of forever running away from fights it doesn't think it can win leading to complete death due to attrition. They should be more willing to either take a fight, or just pack up and go home and settle for peace. As far as I can tell, if you declare war on any AI (meaning they're defending and just need to defend their land), they will march their army into your territory and starve themselves to death even if you do absolutely nothing.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the AI has a really bad strategy of forever running away from fights it doesn't think it can win leading to complete death due to attrition. They should be more willing to either take a fight, or just pack up and go home and settle for peace. As far as I can tell, if you declare war on any AI (meaning they're defending and just need to defend their land), they will march their army into your territory and starve themselves to death even if you do absolutely nothing.

Definitely, it's absurd.
On another note, apparently forming Portugal as an asturian king/emperor locks you out of the reconquest achievement and the decision to unite the spanish thrones? It's past 1000, completely catholic and under control. I have no idea if there's another reason, but if that is the case it's never worth it to form portugal. I also have my own culture that I think is slowing down tech due to how few provinces we have.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Admiral Funk posted:

is some rear end in a top hat also within your realm?

he arrived by sea and started attacking some liege, the only arme i could rise were some pityful 200 dudes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

post screenshots

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

he arrived by sea and started attacking some liege, the only arme i could rise were some pityful 200 dudes

Is he sieging your rally point?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aw, I think the Norse religion getting blot as a custom tenet instead of human sacrifice means that I can no longer use the raid for captives CB, huh? drat, I wanted to start poo poo with Byzantium without me intending to conquer, and just gently caress them up for shits and giggles.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Swedes have somehow become Finnish.

Not quite sure how this happened. The previous king, of the house Munsö, is still alive but is also Finnish.

I've managed to form the empire of Russia, though not quite the full dejure area just yet, and am working on subjugating the Khazars in the kingdom of Zaporizhia so I'll have some less ugly border or at least have a second empire ruled by my dynasty when it inevitably splits.

One question:
Does the Vladimir's Second Choice Achievement require a specific form of Islam or just any Muslim Faith?

Because I'm weighing whether getting in on one of the larger ones and having a lot more possible allies when the Crusaders eventually come for me is better than one that is barely existent so I can call the shots and be my own Caliph.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Aw, I think the Norse religion getting blot as a custom tenet instead of human sacrifice means that I can no longer use the raid for captives CB, huh? drat, I wanted to start poo poo with Byzantium without me intending to conquer, and just gently caress them up for shits and giggles.

I feel like it is a pretty significant nerf since that CB generated so much piety, or gold for ransoms if you didn't care about the piety loss. It was also nice that you could hit 100% war score with just battles, so you didn't have to bother dealing with sieging, just beat up a couple of stacks.

FreudianSlippers posted:

One question:
Does the Vladimir's Second Choice Achievement require a specific form of Islam or just any Muslim Faith?

Because I'm weighing whether getting in on one of the larger ones and having a lot more possible allies when the Crusaders eventually come for me is better than one that is barely existent so I can call the shots and be my own Caliph.

Any Islamic faith

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
This is the first time I've picked up a Paradox game and stuck with it - it's so much easier to get into than CK2 or EU3 (or 4, whatever it was back then). Very much a 'look up three hours later and realize you've missed a bunch of stuff in your real life' experience. I have a couple of 'beyond-the-tutorial questions:

- Is there a 'recommended build order' for your holdings? I've been mostly focusing on farms, because it seems to have the best ROI, and whichever buildings have both gold and levies as benefits. Oh, and prioritizing my capital because I'm less likely to lose it.

- Is it 'better' to stick with one lifestyle or try for a more well-rounded character? I've been basically alternating lifestyles amongst my rulers, hopefully my smart-rear end learning kid can found a new version of Insular christianity before he croaks.

I feel kind of bad that I murdered my infant brother, but he wasn't using that duchy so I should really get over it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Albino Squirrel posted:

This is the first time I've picked up a Paradox game and stuck with it - it's so much easier to get into than CK2 or EU3 (or 4, whatever it was back then). Very much a 'look up three hours later and realize you've missed a bunch of stuff in your real life' experience. I have a couple of 'beyond-the-tutorial questions:

- Is there a 'recommended build order' for your holdings? I've been mostly focusing on farms, because it seems to have the best ROI, and whichever buildings have both gold and levies as benefits. Oh, and prioritizing my capital because I'm less likely to lose it.

That's great your'e enjoying. Remember those games are at their finest when you don't yet master them so don't rush.

Anyway, you have to prioritize your capital cause your main duchy gets bonuses. Obviously you have to specialize but I think they've balanced it well enough so that you don't have to worry about suboptimal builds. Duchy capital buildings add specialization and define your focus.

Albino Squirrel posted:

- Is it 'better' to stick with one lifestyle or try for a more well-rounded character? I've been basically alternating lifestyles amongst my rulers, hopefully my smart-rear end learning kid can found a new version of Insular christianity before he croaks.

There are powerful combinations. Like there's Intrigue focus on generating and mantaining dread and Warfare focus on exploiting dread. Almost every character can benefit from dipping into some of the trees just a little. Like Learning health tree can quickly improve your life expectancy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Swedes have somehow become Finnish.

Not quite sure how this happened. The previous king, of the house Munsö, is still alive but is also Finnish.

Just straight-up conquered it maybe? If you view the title info screen, there's "Title history" in the top right corner. It'll show all the characters who have held the title, and how they got it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's possible their heir flipped due to education at some point, or their ruler flipped due to an event, or a Munso count adopted the culture of his holding, and then got installed on the throne. Lots of ways this can happen.

Incidentally I wish it was both more important what a rulers culture is, and way harder for county cultures to be changed.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I usually do farms for cash, but the ROI on these is terrible (and worse for economic buildings that aren't Farms and Fields) so would be open to an argument to skip it unless you're flush with cash. You almost certainly want to save your cash until you have a character that can get the Architect trait.

Your main focus should be prioritizing buildings that give boosts to the MAA you're using. The Barracks line with pikeman and armored foot are usually the way to go.

quote:

It is generally better to rotate around. Many of the perks are at the top of the trees, so you can just grab one or two perks from a lifestyle and come away doing well. But some trees definitely reward going deep, Sanctioned Loopholes from middle learning, the whole Strategy tree, and the two leftmost stewardship ones.

quote:

I feel kind of bad that I murdered my infant brother, but he wasn't using that duchy so I should really get over it.

This is probably not one of those times, but as a long term thing it can be very helpful in terms of Renown points to have lots of dynasts spread out, either independent or a vassal of a non-dynast.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
What do you lose as a norse invader when you convert/culture swap? I get the religion/tech loss, do you also lose the special men-at-arms?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You keep any MaA you already have, but cannot recruit more. You lose access to longships, runestones, and the Varangian Adventure CB.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh, also: should I be marrying for genetics or for allies? Prioritize inheritable traits for my primary heir and marry my female children off to foreign nobles?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Albino Squirrel posted:

Oh, also: should I be marrying for genetics or for allies? Prioritize inheritable traits for my primary heir and marry my female children off to foreign nobles?

Women far down the chain of inehritance you can just use as alliance fodder. Women who might have a chance to inherit, probably also, but under matrilineal marriages. Men and women who could stand to inherit, marry for genetics or for potential inheritances down the line (eg if you can marry your heir to the eldest daughter of a guy who only has 2 sons, the two sons might have... unfortunate accidents... and you can nab the whole title with your grandson down the line)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

I figure it's a game about dynasties, so I do whatever I can to spread it. Alliances are nice, but only if I can get them with my dynasty as the primary. So yeah, whenever possible I try and get more genetic traits into my dynasty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

If you need allies, alliances. Otherwise do matrilineal marriages and marry for traits.

Traits are a funny thing though. It's fun to do the whole Pure Blood Ubermensch thing, but playing as Ubermensch is so OP it's markedly less fun once you achieve it.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
How do i offer up prisoners for sacrifice on the nordic event?

I see the button for it, but its always greyed out and unclickable

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

ZombieCrew posted:

How do i offer up prisoners for sacrifice on the nordic event?

I see the button for it, but its always greyed out and unclickable

It's a character interaction. Right click someone in your prison after you've chosen to sacrifice humans, it'll say 'designate as human sacrifice' or something similar.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Did you guys miss this mod? Looks neat. Also lol @ the username “average cousin enjoyer”

Their avatar + username is great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Going to try some Varangian Vikinging tonight with a friend.

Never tried multiplayer in any CK game but have been playing since the first game

Any tips I need to know before hosting a game?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Going to try some Varangian Vikinging tonight with a friend.

Never tried multiplayer in any CK game but have been playing since the first game

Any tips I need to know before hosting a game?

Always seduce their wives, concubines and/or other lovers.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Midnight Voyager posted:

Their avatar + username is great.

Lmao, is that Charles?? Didn’t even notice the avatar

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Tippis posted:

Always seduce their wives, concubines and/or other lovers.

Don't forget their actual friend's character as well. For good measure

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Don't forget their actual friend's character as well. For good measure

Yes. And children. Sons, daughters, livestock — you name it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Multiplayer field trip.

We both made some absurdly powerful Norse characters and started out in Sweden.

We planned to divide France amongst ourselves and tried our luck and failed miserably against the West Francian juggernaut which utterly crushed us and our Danelaw allies.

Ended up settling down in the Mediterranean a couple decades later. My bug eyed one-legged warrior-poet witch in Sicily his giant bisexual albino in Croatia.

We've married several of our children together. My current heir is a giant and son of my dwarf son and my friend's shieldmaiden daughter who inherited literally everything from her dad so the size difference is a bit absurd.

Next session we'll probably join the Byzantines and switch gears fully into internal politics.

I also seeded the world with various wacky characters (nudist himbo seducer in Crete, stoner philosopher named Corny McCorn in Cornwall, a random Roman in Poland, and absolutely hideous monstrosities in East Anglia and Finland, etc. Etc.) while my friend was waiting for the game to launch Sadly basically all my creations have been dethroned long ago.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I was so close to forming the scandinavian empire. I just needed a few more territories. Then my son died. Then i got consumption and died. My 5y/o grandson got Sweden and Sami kingdoms. My uncles (aged 1 and 3) got Norway and Denmark. The toddlers reigned over a fractured scandanavia for a very short while and then it all went to poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The character creation tools are wonderfully flexible for making stretched out abominations of flesh

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ZombieCrew posted:

I was so close to forming the scandinavian empire. I just needed a few more territories. Then my son died. Then i got consumption and died. My 5y/o grandson got Sweden and Sami kingdoms. My uncles (aged 1 and 3) got Norway and Denmark. The toddlers reigned over a fractured scandanavia for a very short while and then it all went to poo poo.

I feel this. I'm trying a run for Canute the Greater cheevo (secure Kingdom of the North Sea as an unreformed tribal) and started as Fairhair in 867. Played the most aggressive I've ever been and conquered my way into the Kingdom of Norway, then fought some hairy wars (love those surprise mercs) to form Denmark. I had 2 sons, 2 Kingdoms, and I'd just turned 50 years old. Plenty of time to spend 15 years laying claims on Duchies in England to set my heir up to form the High Kingdom, surely!

And then smallpox.