Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

you dont even need a high school diploma to break into figgieland, just a willingness to make an idiot of yourself in tech interviews over and over again and then, eventually, to relocate across the country. i've absolutely bombed over 70 tech inteviews.

the relocation part is probably optional now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

literally all of this only matters for your first job or 2, and for every story like the one you quoted there’s a dozen places that only hires people with a cs degree, and a dozen more that take either degree or portfolio/other experience

in my experience the difference is almost always size. large companies can afford to burn time training new grads on how to actually program, and in exchange they get to train them to do exactly what the company needs and they get to pay less for them.

smaller companies dont have the time to spend on this so they have to hire someone who can do the work without a ton of additional training.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
relo is prolly gonna turn non-optional again in like 10 months

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i do wish i had better advice on getting past the initial filter w/o a degree. i lucked out as a 19-year old dropout: i went to a 3 month coding school at a time when that was still novel, and worked with extremely good recruiters to get me a job after. i only worked there 3 months before the company folded, but that was enough to get my foot in the door for later jobs i applied for. i'm also a dweeby cis white male so i also fit a profile at the time (lotta people loved to ask "so are you thinking about founding a startup yourself one day??" because lol 2013). nowadays, we do still interview a lot of people with nontraditional backgrounds (mostly college grads with non-cs majors), but i couldn't tell you offhand what makes them get past the filter besides work experience (which, as others have said, once you have like 6 months on a resume you're good there)

once you get to the interview stage i think the biggest thing is just have some confidence talking about stuff you've built and express opinions on coding. this is the biggest thing i look for (i've done like almost entirely soft interviews since i hate training for and giving hard tech interviews, as someone who also hates being on the other side) and the thing i look for is just people who are able to talk about coding, what they like building, what they don't want to build, what tradeoffs they have made, etc. this is a surprisingly high bar for a lot of people, and it's not necessarily like a go/no-go thing (especially when it's like a new grad situation where, all fairness to them, they have not had space to do much learning beyond their curriculum), but when i see someone light up about coding - not in a faux "i love this poo poo" way but like "i have thoughts and opinions and feelings about this" - that's such a good positive sign

i should note that, like, unless someone comes in for a senior backend role espousing their deep love for mongodb, it doesn't really matter too much what specific thoughts and opinions they have (even in that case i'd happily hear them out if they, like, had a wonderful experience with it at their previous employer or something, and could articulate why it actually helped them, etc). that's more the domain of a senior/staff/principal-y role where you really want to feel out that they made the right calls at the right time; i'll happily listen to someone go on about why they love an architecture i hate in a mid-level interview as long as they have clear justifications for their opinions beyond "well it's what we did in school" or something

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best way to get past the initial filter is nepotism. This goes for those with or without a degree.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Dont Touch ME posted:

CS degrees are for flunkies who couldn't cut it in a math major. It also is not a euphemism for programming. Conflating it is a p. big red flag for code monkeys who will snarf snippets from stack overflow and think making jokes about it is cute.

Sincerely,
A CS degree holder

yeah i did major in CS and minor in applied math, shouldve been the reverse. a minor in CS is enough to cover all the actually useful courses

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The best way to get past the initial filter is nepotism. This goes for those with or without a degree.

oh yah. always use nepotism. always always always. both for hiring and for getting hired. it makes things infinitely easier

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

goin to plutocrat school is basically distributed nepotism

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

pro tip: if you haven't focused on a niche, just make up a niche for interviews that sounds specific but actually broadly applies

my story is that i've been focusing on "decentralized systems" this whole time and that applies to anything from clusters to k8s to multithreading to embedded dev so it sounds like a niche but doesnt disqualify me from anything as long as i remember to reread cap theorem cliffsnotes before interviews that might be carried out by people with cs degrees

One day you're going to accidentally join a bitcoin exchange

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i did a weird major that was a mix of EE and telecommunications and i feel like i didn't get much out of it but i enjoyed at least some of the classes so :shrug: i sometimes wish i'd gone with math instead, though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

oh yah. always use nepotism. always always always. both for hiring and for getting hired. it makes things infinitely easier

Yep. It's how I got into my first job. Bing bong so simple.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Getting to the interview stage is definitely the hardest part. I think my resume looks pretty good in terms of relevant skills and personal projects, but I never got a callback from any position I applied to. I asked some acquaintances who used to work as recruiters if there's something obviously wrong with it, but I just keep getting told that it looks great, which honestly is not what I wanna hear when I get ghosted repeatedly. Might just be a volume thing, I definitely haven't been applying to as many positions as I should

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what's your volume?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chalks posted:

most good programmers taught themselves before they turned 18.

lol what

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

yeah what the gently caress is a good programmer?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lol, sorry, to be clear, most people who become good programmers taught themselves basic programming skills early on - not that they taught themselves to be a good programmer by age 18.

have edited it to clarify

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 29, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i spent 7 hours googling how to do one completely unnecessary thing that i wanted a discord bot i was making to be able to do and apparently that counts

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the big transition from putertouching to a thing that was woman-dominated to putertouching bein man-dominated was during the rise of formal cs programs where peeps were starting to be expected to come in w some home computerin experience, which tended overwhelmingly to be men cuz expensive gizmos for children were sold nearly exclusively to boys

so it's not sexist in intent but it's sexist in effect. but whatever gender peeps coming in nowadays often don't know poo poo about puters cuz you can work the phone knowing way less about puters than a commodore 64

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chalks posted:

lol, sorry, to be clear, most people who become good programmers taught themselves basic programming skills early on - not that they taught themselves to be a good programmer by age 18.

have edited it to clarify

ah yep, it's probably pretty rare these days for someone to wrote their first line of code ever in cs 101. though I'm sure it happens, and should ideally work just fine

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the filter for getting interviews is getting to 2+ years of experience in the industry. once you have that you are showered with interviews

so just do whatever it takes to get that 2 years. nepotism is great for this

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

pokeyman posted:

ah yep, it's probably pretty rare these days for someone to wrote their first line of code ever in cs 101. though I'm sure it happens, and should ideally work just fine

This was me. It's been... okay.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

my roommate in college used to TA the "this is your literal first time touching a computer, really" class and it was a fuckin trip. they would have to basically do a purge of people who like, had been coding for 10 years but just had a psychological complex or some poo poo every year, "no, go to the normal CS class". and the other half would be like, african princes and random emiratis who had never encountered a non-tent city and poo poo like that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zaxxon posted:

yeah what the gently caress is a good programmer?

one who writes no code

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

what counts as "experience"
because the only thing that comes to mind is "having an actual job" which seems kinda like a catch-22

i will be genuinely shocked if me mashing a keyboard and churning out shitpost software is somehow experience

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Soricidus posted:

one who writes no code

leave nothing behind for anyone to git blame

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

hbag posted:

because the only thing that comes to mind is "having an actual job" which seems kinda like a catch-22

i will be genuinely shocked if me mashing a keyboard and churning out shitpost software is somehow experience

i interview lots of people who are right out of uni and if one of them told me about writing a discord bot in their spare time i'd think it was a really good sign. out of 10 people i interviewed earlier this year, maybe 3 of them could talk about a spare time project, it makes you stand out more than you'd think.

when you're applying for a junior developer position you're not expected to have much real world experience, that's what a junior dev is. everyone starts out like that, don't let it bother you too much.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

hbag posted:

It's all in how you phrase it on your resume.

For my first job, I wrote about how I made an ncurses-based rendering engine for a game on my resume, and even got asked about it in the interview.

In reality, a friend of mine had made a roguelike as a free time project, and it drove me loving bonkers that he "drew" the screen by printing a bunch of newlines, so I took like a day on Christmas break to learn curses and actually make it draw properly. Making dumb tedious poo poo sound interesting and challenging is like 90% of resume drafting.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

if your discord bot uses the websocket streaming interface thing for channel presence and you can speak intelligently about that in an interview you have already satisfied the prior experience requirement for a junior developer

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
The bonus point of the discord api is that you can say that you published your bot to 100 servers because the discord devs don't know what a server is

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

for my first job i talked about a custom client i made for some random multiplayer flash game. it was in visual basic and it was an absolute garbage fire, in the interview i just talked about all the stuff i learnt from the experience.

it's really just a mechanism for showing that you're able to problem solve and have an interest in coding.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Pro-tip: Never accept a job from a non-faang company that does coding tests. gently caress that noise.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Pro-tip: Never accept a job from a non-faang company that does coding tests. gently caress that noise.

try hiring a junior dev without any coding tests, you may as well pick them at random

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Pro-tip: Never accept a job from a company paying less than 200k total comp that does coding tests. gently caress that noise.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah btw i'll say as someone who's been reviewing a lot of (post-initial-filter) resumes that feel very "candidate putting a bunch of vague descriptions of their previous jobs" on them, if you can put like one or two interesting aspects of your bot or any other project you worked on i'd be psyched to have something to talk about

instead all i see is

quote:

Work Experience

Large Company 2019-2021
- Worked with a variety of stakeholders on modernizing service architecture for Java apps from internal framework A to internal framework B
- Wrote specs for several large-scale technical projects
- Increased arbitrary performance metric of primary service I worked on by 30%

Small Company 2018-2019
- Built apps for large B2B SAAS BI Fortune 500 NYSD companies
- Worked in an Agile environment to deliver features at maximum safe speed

Other Projects
- Some random example app I did in an Angular tutorial
- A school project with no code or UI available to view
- Just a random string of buzzwords with no context. eCommerce ML ETL SPA GraphQL Backend.

and it's like, what the gently caress is there to talk about? i'd much rather be able to see a set of items like

quote:

Projects

- Discord chat bot: used the Discord WebSocket API to create a fun community chatbot for a server I'm in. Ran on Node.js on my own DigitalOcean box to make available full-time, which involved learning how to supervise long-running processes and keep them up. Extended bot with feature requests over time leading to an extensible architecture.

or something. now that's a lot to chat about. you can tell me everything that's awful about your bot, and i'd be excited to hear it because knowing why your code sucks and showing interest in making it better is half the battle

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

DoomTrainPhD posted:

what do you define as a coding test?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if someone gives me a fizzbuzz test i am absolutely hosed though
just saying

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you are allowed to study for those lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

no i know i mean ive tried to do it before and i an incredibly poo poo at them
i very much doubt i would be able to retain the knowledge on how to do it if i ever managed to
my brain is a sieve

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unless you have actual organic brain damage you're just not special in that regard, just do them over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DoomTrainPhD posted:

My company is implementing these without the accompanying big paycheck. :laugh: