Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Augus posted:

they never said which version of Superman they were talking about

You know, this moment could actually happen in the knightmare future.

Not with Jimmy, oc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Find a single shot like this in an Iron Mans movie. Do it. I dare you.
Easy

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

This is not what I was expecting but as always CD never disappoints.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I was going to say, if there was going to be a decent shot it would be pre-Avengers, where the MCU house style hadn't yet taken hold.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It was exactly what I was thinking.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Almost Blue posted:

I thought the priest was supposed to be one of the bullies from when Clark was a kid?

I don’t think so but I am pretty sure the priest is the guy presiding over Clark’s funeral at the end of BvS

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The priest isn't from Smallville, and the Kents are Methodist iirc

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Blood Boils posted:

The priest isn't from Smallville, and the Kents are Methodist iirc

I'll have to rewatch the film. For some reason, I always assumed Clark went to a church in Metropolis, but Clark wouldn't have any reason to be in Metropolis at that point, right? So wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a priest for Smallville? And he appeared at Clark's funeral - I suppose the assumption is either he was the pastor at the family's church, or Clark visited him regularly enough that he knew to reach out to Martha Kent after Superman was killed.

Julius CSAR posted:

I don’t think so but I am pretty sure the priest is the guy presiding over Clark’s funeral at the end of BvS

Yes, it's the same character at the funeral

roffels fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 29, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Almost Blue posted:

I thought the priest was supposed to be one of the bullies from when Clark was a kid?

The IHOP manager is Pete Ross, that's obvious. Smallville's pastor (who also speaks at Clark's funeral in BvS) is the leader of the bullies who attacks Clark outside the garage in a flashback, but he's never named - you just have to go off cinematic language and the resemblance of the actors.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

You know, this moment could actually happen in the knightmare future.

Not with Jimmy, oc.

Make it the cop that Lois always sees visiting the monument and it works just as well.

Wait, didn't Superman almost kill (Donner Superman) Jimmy in this movie?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Darko posted:

Make it the cop that Lois always sees visiting the monument and it works just as well.
Found out he's played by Marc McClure aka 70s movie Jimmy Olsen, which was neat

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The only conclusion we can draw is that despite his friendly demeanour, he is 100% CIA keeping tabs on Lois.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

roffels posted:

I'll have to rewatch the film. For some reason, I always assumed Clark went to a church in Metropolis, but Clark wouldn't have any reason to be in Metropolis at that point, right? So wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a priest for Smallville? And he appeared at Clark's funeral - I suppose the assumption is either he was the pastor at the family's church, or Clark visited him regularly enough that he knew to reach out to Martha Kent after Superman was killed.

If it's a United methodist church, priests are rotated out every few years. They aren't necessarily local. Say my parents church I think one out of the last 5 they've had has been local originally.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerk McJerkface posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I was going to say, if there was going to be a decent shot it would be pre-Avengers, where the MCU house style hadn't yet taken hold.

Do you bleed, Stebe? You will...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roman posted:

Found out he's played by Marc McClure aka 70s movie Jimmy Olsen, which was neat

I looked this up and found that for some reason Whedon changed the cop's name. What a weirdly petty thing to do.

Also had no idea that Jimmy Olsen was in Apollo 13 and the Back to the Future sequels.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This is a pretty good shot ngl

Needs more empty cars though

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

This is a pretty good shot ngl

Needs more empty cars though
The grading hurts it though. Lack of enough environmental stuff going on. It's too "clean" and well lit.

Plus, needs more bitching sparks

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

roffels posted:

Clark isn't in Kansas when he goes into that church. Its not super clear where it is, the coast somewhere? Anyways the priest doesn't know him when they talk, they don't have a previous relationship. They may have exchanged enough info for the guy to reach out to Martha or Lois after Beavis, it's not super important how.

Mameluke posted:

The IHOP manager is Pete Ross, that's obvious. Smallville's pastor (who also speaks at Clark's funeral in BvS) is the leader of the bullies who attacks Clark outside the garage in a flashback, but he's never named - you just have to go off cinematic language and the resemblance of the actors.

That would be neat but I don't think the cinematic language is saying that, they don't recognize each other for starters when Clark enters the church

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah, but don't they? The priest may not recognize him, but it's compelling to think that Clark went to this guy specifically. Maybe he feels that someone who was antagonistic to him can give him advice without sparing his feelings, or maybe he does want a spiritual perspective and knows how that guy ended up

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Something that really clicked for me watching this is how across these movies how isolated Superman is constantly shown as being. Like the guy is clearly loved by his mother, fathers, Lois etc. But not much in the way of cheering crowds and inspirational speeches. When he does get fawning adoration he looks uncomfortable. And for the most part he seems to enjoy being left alone to do poo poo like wander up mountains. It’s constantly drawn attention to that there’s a wall between him and the wider world. Probably the most introvert superman I’ve seen.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean Alfred says it was Batman's idea so I don't think that's true.

But I think we can all agree that it's very funny that Batman's don't actually work as well.

I have no idea how someone could watch that scene and not think the inspiration for batmans bracers that do exacty what wonder woman's bracers do was copied from wonder woman's bracers, after she explicitly addresses it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Chairman Capone posted:

I looked this up and found that for some reason Whedon changed the cop's name. What a weirdly petty thing to do.
I think it's a separate character entirely - he's the cop that checks Barry in at the prison in the Whedon cut.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pile of brown posted:

I have no idea how someone could watch that scene and not think the inspiration for batmans bracers that do exacty what wonder woman's bracers do was copied from wonder woman's bracers, after she explicitly addresses it.
I just thought the bracers blocked poo poo, not did some Vibranium Absorb Energy stuff. It seemed more like Alfred was concocting an anti-heatvision tech and WW was ribbing them for being too on the nose.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Her response to seeing it was "how about a lasso too"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

josh04 posted:

The only conclusion we can draw is that despite his friendly demeanour, he is 100% CIA keeping tabs on Lois.

A beloved Superman side character going places with Lois, revealing themselves to be CIA, and then getting shot in the head could have been a great running gag.

"Lois, I'm not really a sherpa. My name is Bibbo Bibowski, and I'm CIA." BANG

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I don't think anyone was arguing about that they're not the inspiration. It's just a question if Bruce was aware of it which is kind of open for interpretation, but I think it's much funnier to imagine Bruce thinking he came up with the idea himself and more inline with Snyder's version of Bruce,

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

massive spider posted:

When he does get fawning adoration he looks uncomfortable. And for the most part he seems to enjoy being left alone to do poo poo like wander up mountains. It’s constantly drawn attention to that there’s a wall between him and the wider world. Probably the most introvert superman I’ve seen.

Makes perfect sense to me. Clark is some quiet, humble guy from the midwest, and suddenly in his 30's people have started revering him as a living God. That sounds goddamn horrible. I'd want to gently caress off to the middle of nowhere, too. An extremely coherent and human reaction IMO.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm looking at Josstice League and made it to the thirsty convo and I just can't take it. The Amazon battle and Stephen Wolf are just soooooooo bad without the beats that make that action scene work as an actual chase. And the lack of actual score including the [wailing].

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's so bad

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darko posted:

I'm looking at Josstice League and made it to the thirsty convo and I just can't take it. The Amazon battle and Stephen Wolf are just soooooooo bad without the beats that make that action scene work as an actual chase. And the lack of actual score including the [wailing].

It's still unclear what she actually plans to do with the Motherbox once it leaves the gigantic, conspicuous fortified bunker in the middle of nowhere, made for easy access by enemies attacking from the otherwise barren coastline. Or what they think arrows are going to do to the ancient, indestructible cube.

It makes the humans burying theirs in a shallow grave and calling it good seem relatively inspired.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

This MF said Stephen Wolf

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's still unclear what she actually plans to do with the Motherbox once it leaves the gigantic, conspicuous fortified bunker in the middle of nowhere, made for easy access by enemies attacking from the otherwise barren coastline. Or what they think arrows are going to do to the ancient, indestructible cube.

It makes the humans burying theirs in a shallow grave and calling it good seem relatively inspired.

I assumed she was trying to get it to the rest of the amazonian legions.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I finally watched this and it was dope. A little bloated, but I understand the desire to get everything in there since it’s on a streaming platform and there’s not going to be a chance to follow up. I do think the general reaction would be worse if it was shorter because the first thing to go would be a lot of the jokes. I think the first half is stronger than the second half but maybe I was just flagging by hour 4.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ESTABLISHING SHOT: Barn outside a farmhouse - 1980s

We hear a man's scream: "Martha, no!" Then we hear a crash and cut to the inside of the barn. A man in his mid-20's (Jonathan Kent, played by an aged-down Kevin Costner) is lying in a heap underneath a fallen ladder, one leg bent at a bad angle, blood staining his face. We see a woman, mid-20s, (Martha Kent, played by an aged-down Diane Lane) standing over him, bottle of gin in one hand and waving the long knife she grips in the other.

Jonathan: Martha, please!

Martha (swaying, obviously drunk): I should have done this a long time ago Jonathan Kent, you worthless, good-for-nothing--

She bends over him and raises the knife, but wait! A large dark figure springs from a corner of the barn and crashes into her before she can stab Jonathan. As she falls over, we cut to a shot of her head banging into the edge of a heavy tractor, and a trickle of blood comes from her ear.

The dark figure kneels next to Jonathan, recognizable as a large man but the cape and cowl on his shoulders prevent us from seeing more than the top of his head. We see the back of his head -- bald, smooth, and maybe dark green?

Dark Figure (in a slightly-otherworldly baritone): Are you okay, Jonathan? I couldn't stand back and watch her hurt you anymore.

Jonathan (grimacing in pain): I...I think so. Not going to be doing much walking on this leg for a while, though. Is Martha...?

The dark figure hunches over Martha's body for a moment, feeling her neck for a pulse.

Dark Figure: She's dead. I'm so sorry. I...I didn't mean to, but--

Jonathan (closing his eyes): It couldn't be helped. I always knew that woman was going to kill me. I just don't know what happened to the sweet girl I married.

The dark figure kneels beside Jonathan again, cradling his head in his arms.

Dark Figure: You're a good man, Jonathan Kent. You deserve much better.

Jonathan: Who... who are you, anyway? Why do your eyes look red?

Dark Figure: My name is J'onn J'onnz, and I'm... from a place far away from here. It's a long story, but it'll have to wait till we get you cleaned up and into bed. (he drops his eyes, and smiles sheepishly) I... know I must look a little different than what you're used to.

Jonathan grips J'onn J'onnz's arm, and looks deep into the other man's eyes.

Jonathan: Well, you look great from where I'm sitting.

The camera pulls away from the pair as we watch J'onn J'onnz carefully lift Jonathan up and into his arms and then stop and gaze into his face. Then the larger man smiles, and we see him carry Jonathan out through the door, reminiscent of a husband carrying his spouse over the threshold on their first day of marriage.

Cut to:

TITLE CARD
Zack Snyder presents
Martian Manhunter:
Green is the Color of Love

We hear Jonathan's voice: "What are we going to tell people about Martha?"
Voice of J'onn J'onnz: I've got some ideas about that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Unfortunately having just re-watched BvS there is a moment after saving Martha and after Doomsday is created, where, if I recall correctly, we cut directly back and forth between her and Swanwick as the military starts analyzing what the hell Doomsday is. I'm pretty sure it basically has to be the same moment too, ie not just editing trickery or whatever. Kinda weird... almost like Snyder knew this would be a lingering question.

e: Oh wait I guess...... I guess Swanwick could just be an actual dude who J'onn impersonates occasionally

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Martman posted:

e: Oh wait I guess...... I guess Swanwick could just be an actual dude who J'onn impersonates occasionally
I feel like the fact that he turns into him after Martha, are both played by Harry Lennix so the voice is the same and they have similar facial features kind of implies that Swanwick is his default and isn't a real person.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like the fact that he turns into him after Martha, are both played by Harry Lennix so the voice is the same and they have similar facial features kind of implies that Swanwick is his default and isn't a real person.

Swanwick is probably a real person that J'onn met and took his identity when he died. That's his general backstory. This military guy or scientist found his ship, J'onn morphed into his true form and the dude got so scared he had a heart attack and died. So then J'onn took his identity and resolved to hide his true self.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just tryin to cover my bases here so I can really analyze the fanfiction possibilities of J'onn having always been Martha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Swanwick is probably a real person that J'onn met and took his identity when he died. That's his general backstory. This military guy or scientist found his ship, J'onn morphed into his true form and the dude got so scared he had a heart attack and died. So then J'onn took his identity and resolved to hide his true self.

Snyder says in an interview that swanwick has always been MMs alternate identity not some random he met.

Starts at 21:00 in

https://youtu.be/8qBQvwXLoQk