Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think the Aeropress is the only coffee brewer I own that I've never been able to make a good cup with. It's only ever been meh for me, no matter the method.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

AndrewP posted:

Not sure I'm sticking with the Aeropress. I like one big cup of coffee in the morning and this yields such a small amount. On the weekend I ended up having to do the process four times for me and my wife.

Make a super concentrated cup and then dilute it out maybe?

I loved my Aeropress when I used it but I haven't gone back to it much since getting a v60.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've gone camping with my Aeropress one time and I won't be bothering to bring it again. Just bring instant coffee. You can survive a few days or a week without fresh ground. Pour over reigns supreme at home or work.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just Bripe, imo.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Aeropress is great for brewing the last few bits of coffee left in a bag.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can we have a new thread rule where any questions about brewing methods must first clarify why you aren't briping.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

RichterIX posted:

Make a super concentrated cup and then dilute it out maybe?

I loved my Aeropress when I used it but I haven't gone back to it much since getting a v60.

Imagined posted:

I had the same thought re:Aeropress (also about owning my own espresso machine): all that... for this tiny little drop of coffee? I mean I only became a coffee drinker this month but I pretty much always polish off a 60 ounce travel canteen before lunch. Ain't nobody got time for a fussy method that only yields a single (admittedly great) cup.

For weekends or when time isn't an issue I prefer the Clever Dripper anyways.

AndrewP posted:

Not sure I'm sticking with the Aeropress. I like one big cup of coffee in the morning and this yields such a small amount. On the weekend I ended up having to do the process four times for me and my wife.

What Richter says - the Aeropress website states that you can dilute what comes out of it no problem, and at least for me that works nicely. Just put in whatever amount of coffee you want and as much water as goes in, and then fill the rest later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aeropress also recommends brewing coffee at 175F which is just... no.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anyone played with brewing cacao nibs into tea? I kept getting ads for things like this:

I'm not buying any health claims, but it could be nice to have a hot bitter drink in the evening. Their fancy roasts could be better than just normal cocoa nibs, but I'm going to start simple to see if I even like the idea.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone try a commercial one like the image?
2. Anyone do normal cacao nibs, home-ground?

If not, I can try it myself and report back. I already have some nibs, but not enough to do dozens of experiments.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Anyone played with brewing cacao nibs into tea? I kept getting ads for things like this:

I'm not buying any health claims, but it could be nice to have a hot bitter drink in the evening. Their fancy roasts could be better than just normal cocoa nibs, but I'm going to start simple to see if I even like the idea.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone try a commercial one like the image?
2. Anyone do normal cacao nibs, home-ground?

If not, I can try it myself and report back. I already have some nibs, but not enough to do dozens of experiments.

One of my coworkers brought that particular brand into work. It’s not bad, it basically tastes like bitter chocolate water. Almost closer to chocolate tea?

Don’t run cocoa nibs through your grinder though, the extra fat in them will likely cause a mess.

Honestly I’d just recommend decaf if you want a hot evening bitter drink.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I buy my cocoa beans from this guy (I make my own chocolate)
https://chocolatealchemy.com/
He sells whole beans roasted or not roasted, nibs roasted or not, and brewing cacao ready to brew among other things.
He's pretty descriptive in what flavor notes each bean has to offer and how if you're roasting them yourself to bring out the best in each one.

Cacao beans don't have to be roasted as hot as coffee and don't put off poo poo tons of smoke while roasting either. I do my cacao roasting in a hacked George Forman rotisserie oven and grind it into chocolate in a Indian wet grinder.

Note that you can't grind cacao beans in a burr grinder the cocoa butter will just gum it up.

Another thing you can do with the beans if you are roasting and cracking/winnowing them yourself is to use the husk itself to make a tea with. It's a slightly cacao flavored light bodied tea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thumposaurus posted:

He sells whole beans roasted or not roasted, nibs roasted or not, and brewing cacao ready to brew among other things.
He's pretty descriptive in what flavor notes each bean has to offer and how if you're roasting them yourself to bring out the best in each one.

Cacao beans don't have to be roasted as hot as coffee and don't put off poo poo tons of smoke while roasting either. I do my cacao roasting in a hacked George Forman rotisserie oven and grind it into chocolate in a Indian wet grinder.

Note that you can't grind cacao beans in a burr grinder the cocoa butter will just gum it up.

Another thing you can do with the beans if you are roasting and cracking/winnowing them yourself is to use the husk itself to make a tea with. It's a slightly cacao flavored light bodied tea.

same! i agree it’s like chocotea

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks y'all! I will buy a small bag then to see if I like it more than decaf. Don't want to gum my grinder.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 29, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Aeropress also recommends brewing coffee at 175F which is just... no.

Do you reckon that's just for liability, so when people scald the poo poo out of themselves using a wobbly unbalanced plastic contraption, they can say "Legally, we told you not to do that."?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thumposaurus posted:

Can you grind down and brew roasted cocoa beans?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah that's exactly what we're talking about.

This is a quick rundown about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aSiEL1BOFc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks y'all! I will buy a small bag then to see if I like it more than decaf. Don't want to gum my grinder.

just fyi it may or may not have more stimulant properties than your decaf.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah as long as it's less than regular caffeine I'm good, thank you

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

bolind posted:

Hello, thread. I have an Izzo MyWay Vivi PID II espresso machine. As per tradition, the steam arm is on the right. Due to the way it's placed in my kitchen, I would really, really like the steam arm on the left. Ideally, steam and water would be swapped, but if water dies in the process, so be it.
Wasn't able to find any parts diagrams but it should be as simple as swapping the valves, then replacing the existing lines with ones long enough to reach the new locations, assuming there's room inside the case to do so. The lines generally aren't brand-specific, just need to make sure you're getting the correct fitting sizes. If you have a local repair shop this should be pretty simple for them to do for you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagined posted:

Do you reckon that's just for liability, so when people scald the poo poo out of themselves using a wobbly unbalanced plastic contraption, they can say "Legally, we told you not to do that."?

It's just how the Aeropress inventor prefers his coffee. I personally don't like diluted and underextracted drinks but hey if I invented a popular product I'd put whatever I wanted in the instructions.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
The aero press is my default way of looking at coffee now

200ml of strong black liquid

I definitely drink a bigger cup in the morning, but being able to pack a really good coffee Brewer in my backpack is rather good

It's for sure not perfect, but it terms of portability to price to convenience to end product

It does what I wish my moka pot did

Can't be beat

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Well it could be nicer looking

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

My house is full of huge mugs from various places and things, so my coffee habits have evolved from this. a measly <200ml of coffee just doesn't cut it

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Gunder posted:

Just Bripe, imo.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Well it could be nicer looking

This but it's an aeropress

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jestery posted:

This but it's an aeropress

tbqh i really thought it was a coffee vape when i first saw someone post the ad

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Bripe is the sound of a fart that you pinch off early because it was louder than you expected

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Used my new Clever dripper today, I like it better than the Aeropress, which I was kind of doing an immersion-style with anyway. Super smooth cup, simple to use, no danger of over extraction, I used the Hoffman tip of adding the water first. I am a fan!

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 31, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sneeing Emu posted:

Used my new Clever dripper today, I like it better than the Aeropress, which I was kind of doing an immersion-style with anyway. Super smooth cup, simple to use, no danger of over extraction, I used the Hoffman tip of adding the water first. I am a fan!

Yeah that seems way better than the Aeropress. I'm not really sure what's supposed to be so great about the Aeropress after doing the research I should have done before I bought it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AndrewP posted:

Yeah that seems way better than the Aeropress. I'm not really sure what's supposed to be so great about the Aeropress after doing the research I should have done before I bought it.

I think the idea is that it's supposed to be quick—brew times on the order of only a minute or so. But the whole premise of the device seems very much aimed at "casual" coffee consumers, with its printed markings giving you rough estimates of how much ground coffee and water to use. Didn't the WAC start as a send-up of fancy-shmancy coffee events?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

for me the clever with its longer brew time and higher capacity has really replaced my french press

aeropress is still an excellent way to make extremely fast and delicious iced coffee, which means it gets a whole lot of use for me

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have a flair neo? I've been wanting to dip my toes into espresso for a while and the price point seems right. Not sure my hand grinder (1zpresso not pro) can handle a regular portafilter.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Of the 4 methods I've tried so far: Aeropress, pour-over (with metal filter), old Mr. Coffee, and Clever Dripper, the Clever is by far my favorite. Makes a perfect amount for one mug of coffee, too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

eke out posted:

for me the clever with its longer brew time and higher capacity has really replaced my french press

aeropress is still an excellent way to make extremely fast and delicious iced coffee, which means it gets a whole lot of use for me

What's you're iced aeropress process?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Mom, I wanna bripe

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Postman posted:

What's you're iced aeropress process?

ive been messing with amounts but i like 100g hot water + 20g coffee for a couple minutes > press over 100g ice, which makes about 6-7oz of very strong 10:1 coffee. but you can up the water volume by a good bit and it'll still taste good

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Jestery posted:

Mom, I wanna bripe

we have bripe at home

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hypnophant posted:

we have bripe at home

The bripe at home:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I made my first V60 today and it was decent. I'm not exactly using freshly roasted or amazing coffee (Starbucks Pike's Place) but I was able to make a big mug of coffee that definitely wasn't weak.

The bloom was kind of a problem, it seemed to immediately absorb and draw down. Couldn't do much swirling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Depending on how stale your coffee is there might not be much point in blooming it anyway. Old coffee drains really fast and I don't think it will give off much in the way of CO2.